post #91 of 119 Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Has anyone seen a breakdown of the characters and parts, and how each element performs?

Here is one for the characters

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mario-kart-...s?ign_app_ios=

And for the parts/karts

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mario-kart-..._Customization

Don't know if it's what you're looking for but I found it useful when I started looking into customization.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Gamefaqs has tons of info on character classes: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/700050...9430#section32

As well as part stats: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/700050...9430#section31

If that's not enough, here's a Stats Calculator: http://www.gunslingergaming.com/html/MK8Stats.php
DaverJ likes this.
post #93 of 119 Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 737
http://tjcelaya.co/mk8opt.php

Found this on Reddit.
DaverJ and |Tch0rT| like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #94 of 119 Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Broke into the 2400 VR range last night; I am definitely more of a consistent Top 5 finisher than a Top 2 finisher now as competition is getting more fierce. I'm glad to see more people seem to be breaking away from the stats-whorey heavy character/slick wheels/sports coupe-mach 8-circuit special mold; I have to admit a certain sense of admiration whenever someone can consistently beat me with a baby character (alongside anger. always anger.)
post #95 of 119 Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
Broke into the 2400 VR range last night; I am definitely more of a consistent Top 5 finisher than a Top 2 finisher now as competition is getting more fierce. I'm glad to see more people seem to be breaking away from the stats-whorey heavy character/slick wheels/sports coupe-mach 8-circuit special mold; I have to admit a certain sense of admiration whenever someone can consistently beat me with a baby character (alongside anger. always anger.)

One of those baby character drivers you have run into might just be my 12 yr old daughter. She has become the new MK household champ, consistently placing in the top 3 online most times - mostly w/ Baby Mario. And with the Wheel, no less.

My days of the in house MK champ died when MK Wii online went away.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #96 of 119 Old 07-07-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I've noticed that there are no indications as to the performance of a particular kart/wheel or bike/wheel combination in the game. I'll have to actually crack open the strategy guide and see what they have to say!

I also hate the vertical split screen! It's awful. I wish they would at least allow the option of vertical or horizontal.
post #97 of 119 Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I've noticed that there are no indications as to the performance of a particular kart/wheel or bike/wheel combination in the game. I'll have to actually crack open the strategy guide and see what they have to say!
Sorry if this obvious, but you know you can press "+" on the kart selection screen to see the stats, right?

Or there's also this stats calculator I posted before: http://www.gunslingergaming.com/html/MK8Stats.php
post #98 of 119 Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Speaking of no instructions, I had to Google what the heck the stars indicator with 0/6 was in the upper left on the post-race screen.

Answer - it's for indicating a favorite highlight reel for MarioKart TV - hit the + to add the previous replay to favorites. Once you have 6 favorites, you have to go into MKTV to delete them.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #99 of 119 Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
Sorry if this obvious, but you know you can press "+" on the kart selection screen to see the stats, right?

Or there's also this stats calculator I posted before: http://www.gunslingergaming.com/html/MK8Stats.php
That's a good tip. It is not at all obvious that you see stats that way!
post #100 of 119 Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
If you've played MK8 on-line, you probably identify with this Penny Arcade comic (warning: F-bombs):

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i...1050x10000.jpg
Dashboard likes this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #101 of 119 Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Broke 3000VR last night. Unfortunately, after reaching 3002, I decided to do one more race, came in first, then immediately got a communication error disconnect before anyone else finished and was knocked down to 2989 because of it. Arrgh. You know, for all the complaints of item spam (which I mean, welcome to Mario Kart), lag, lack of voice chat, etc., the only thing that really bothers me about MK8's online play is the fairly regular disconnects (about once or twice a day). Or is that just me?
post #102 of 119 Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I had my family over for a BBQ and after I started MK8... it was so funny watching my brother/sister/mother/father play the game. I think me and my GF had more fun watching them play then actually play the game!

My brother is an avid gamer, my father a pc gamer, my mother a casual gamer so Mario Kart is her cup of tea even if she's just ok and my sister doesn't really plays game.
post #103 of 119 Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...ks-in-november

While the previously talked about free Mercedes Benz DLC for MK8 hits this week, Nintendo has now announced more MK8 DLC - not free, but certainly cooler - that will introduce non-Mario universe Ninty characters (including Link), new karts & new 4 course cups beginning in November.
DaverJ likes this.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #104 of 119 Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 216
Yep, November and then May. Each DLC will add a couple more characters, 4 new karts, and 8 tracks. Can't wait honestly

<--- All gamertags listed there -

__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast

- direct pod link

- main website
post #105 of 119 Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Yep, November and then May. Each DLC will add a couple more characters, 4 new karts, and 8 tracks. Can't wait honestly
As of 1200AM Pacific on 8/27/14, both the MBZ DLC went live on eShop as well as pre-order options for the upcoming character/kart/track packs. If you preorder both for $12, you can access new colors for Yoshi & Shy Guy immediately.

The free MBZ DLC update also fixes an issue some may have had w/ MK8. Now at the end of each race the first highlighted option is "next race" as opposed to watching the MKTV video of the race you just finished. Nice for those hair trigger button-mashers and those who really don't want to see their last run. The current update also added a "shop" function to MK8's main menu, allowing players to purchase the upcoming DLC packs from within the game.

Last edited by jwebb1970; 08-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
post #106 of 119 Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

$12 is truly an insane value for adding 50% more tracks to an already complete $60 game. I wouldn't even care if they were all retro tracks (I'm guessing half of them are?), but the fact that we're getting brand-new, Zelda, F-Zero and Animal Crossing-themed tracks is just delicious, delicious, icing.
dbburns likes this.
post #107 of 119 Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Nintendo may have just convinced me to unpack my Wii U... this is the birth of Nintendo Kart!
post #108 of 119 Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

New tracks? New karts? Racoon Mario? LINK!?!??!

Shut up and take my money
post #109 of 119 Old 08-31-2014, 05:43 AM

Liked: 10
I preordered the DLC just to get the different colored Yoshis and Shy Guys now, but I've only used them once so far. I'm actually more happy with the free update that put the course map back on the TV! Less pleased that I'm now able to confirm I have way more losses than wins, ha. I remember the old Mario Kart days when I used to come in first almost all the time. Anyway, can't wait for the new tracks!
post #110 of 119 Old 08-31-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should have come here to the board before I purchased this download. I assumed that once I paid for DLC I would have it right after paying for it. Why on earth would you would to pre-order DLC ? Especially so far in advance. I don't get it. So, November, for this to start rolling out? Or May 2015? For content that's likely already on the disc, I feel like I'm missing something.
post #111 of 119 Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I haven't preordered it yet, but I looked at the shop page the morning it became available and it was clear what the situation was (At least for the US eShop, which I assume is shared with you guys). Don't let your excitement blind you from reading the information listed, next time.

As for the content, I very much doubt most of this, if any, is in the game already. The only evidence people found that even suggested DLC were four apparent placeholders for additional cups. No sign of even the characters and karts, the most obvious content that would make sense to include on the disc from day 1 (So people not buying the DLC can still interact with those that do on the normal selection of tracks, without having to download anything to make that content which is usable on all circuits view-able on their system).

And preordering makes sense. Not only do you save several dollars, Nintendo gets your money now. It's a win-win for both parties, albeit a bit unusual. But this is a heck of a deal for most. For $12, you add 16 new tracks to go with the 32 already in the game.

And you get some nice fan service with the new characters like Link and new karts, if you're the type that gives two cents about that stuff.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 08-31-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #112 of 119 Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I haven't preordered it yet, but I looked at the shop page the morning it became available and it was clear what the situation was (At least for the US eShop, which I assume is shared with you guys). Don't let your excitement blind you from reading the information listed, next time.
Yeah, my bad. After years of COD DLC I just assumed I'd get it when I paid for it. Didn't read the small print, or in this case, the large print, until after I purchased. It was my kids who were excited for it. I was merely thinking I was doing something wrong when I couldn't find the downloading progress bar anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
And preordering makes sense. Not only do you save several dollars, Nintendo gets your money now. It's a win-win for both parties, albeit a bit unusual. But this is a heck of a deal for most. For $12, you add 16 new tracks to go with the 32 already in the game.

And you get some nice fan service with the new characters like Link and new karts, if you're the type that gives two cents about that stuff.
Yeah, 12 bucks seems more than fair for the teased content. For me, it's just having to wait a vague amount of time on a console that already feels like waiting for new quality content is always a "next gen" away, as it is. How hard is it really to add new character models to the game? Could a decent programmer do that in a day? Half a day, if he got a good sleep in the night before? Instead we get different coloured Yoshies? That's really the best they can do with as much time they've had? Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think you sell more stuff when you make it available.
post #113 of 119 Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure they mentioned the download size of both packs clocks in at around 2GB, so the DLC definitely doesn't already exist on the disc.

And I bet creating and fine-tuning Mario Kart tracks does take a surprisingly long amount of time. Think about it, they probably have to test every single turn in a track hundreds of times, at each CC class, with almost every character/kart combination. Which is not to say that they couldn't get out both packs well before May 2015 if they wanted to, I'm sure, but the idea here seems to be using DLC to ensure that people keep playing an "evergreen" title well after its release date. Not sure it's going to pay off, and yeah, May 2015 seems ridiculously far away to me too, but it's an interesting approach.
post #114 of 119 Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think you sell more stuff when you make it available.
The purpose of this isn't so much to make money off the DLC sales itself, but to extend excitement and interest in Mario Kart 8 by refreshing it a few times over the 12 months after its original release to keep it at the forefront of the Wii U's software library.

Wii U's software library is small and promises to continue to grow in just small increments. They have to be careful with something like this to maximize its benefit to extend the life of this game and have it help conceal the small release calendar of the system.

That's why we're hearing about this three months after release as excitement starts to cool, and why the packs are timed to release 6 months and 12 months after it originally launched.

Ideally though, I think the characters and karts should've been ready on day 1 when it started to be sold with the wait being for the most substantial component, the tracks themselves.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 09-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.
post #115 of 119 Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Well, their announcement got me to buy the DLC and play the game a lot than I had been. Good enough for me.

PSN: PrankT

post #116 of 119 Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
Well, their announcement got me to buy the DLC and play the game a lot than I had been. Good enough for me.
Same here! Bought the bundle yesterday and did 3 championships.

Can't wait for the DLC. At 12$, it was a no brainer.

March 2015 for the second batch is far but it will give a second life to a game I doubt I'll play actively at that time.
post #117 of 119 Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
The purpose of this isn't so much to make money off the DLC sales itself, but to extend excitement and interest in Mario Kart 8 by refreshing it a few times over the 12 months after its original release to keep it at the forefront of the Wii U's software library.
Because there's nothing else?

Quote:
Wii U's software library is small and promises to continue to grow in just small increments. They have to be careful with something like this to maximize its benefit to extend the life of this game and have it help conceal the small release calendar of the system.
Because there's nothing else.

Quote:
That's why we're hearing about this three months after release as excitement starts to cool, and why the packs are timed to release 6 months and 12 months after it originally launched.
When there'll still be nothing else.

Quote:
Ideally though, I think the characters and karts should've been ready on day 1 when it started to be sold with the wait being for the most substantial component, the tracks themselves.
I get the feeling we'll all just find something else.
post #118 of 119 Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think MK would be a relatively "evergreen" title without DLC, considering the popularity of MK Wii. There was a game that had a pretty active online community all the way until the end of the Wii's online service (hacker-infested as it was, of course). But DLC tracks were something I had hoped they would do eventually for the series.

Then again, spacing out the DLC packs as they have will certainly lead to bumps in play/sales of MK8 throughout the game's lifespan. Who knows....maybe they will continue to offer new tracks further out into 2015 & beyond. Plus, won't the Amiibo figurines also allow players to add other Nintendo characters to the game? Regardless of the Wii U's relative success/failure, it does appear that Nintendo still knows how to print money.

post #119 of 119 Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Mario Kart 8 will remain one of the best sellers for the Wii U until the end of its life.

But this DLC helps keep this title in front of consumers and maximizes its chances of moving the most Wii U hardware possible. Otherwise, it's quickly going to be relegated to the category of "the game you bought because you already have the hardware" rather than being the reason why you bought the system in the first place.

There's a lot to love on the Wii U. I wouldn't of bought it if it only had the promise of Mario Kart months after my purchase and "nothing else". It's going to end up likely with the best catalog of exclusives this generation.

And it's said exclusives that are the reason why myself and several million others have bought it. I'm far from ignorant of their business situation, but I'm simply not here for first person shooters, EA Sports annual updates, etc.

I'm here because of stuff like Mario Kart. Sadly, that's not enough for it to be a profitable enterprise for Nintendo, but it's still more enough for millions of us.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 09-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page