post #151 of 163 Old 11-18-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomaytohead View Post
Totally worth the price partly because it's priced about 1/2 of what anyone else would have charged for it.
Quite true. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw it. And the download wasn't as horribly slow as I thought it would be, which was an added bonus. For some reason, the previous download I did of the free game that came with MK8 was horribly slow, nowhere near the ~45mbps I have available to the Wii U (Powerline adapters feed a couple of Ethernet switches in the basement with all my A/V and gaming gear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
Agreed - $12 for the complete package (2nd half in spring 2015) is a real bargain considering you get half as many new/re imagined courses in the complete pack then what came with the initial game. New kart & character options are just gravy.
That's quite true. I agree, I bought it entirely for the tracks. I don't really care as much about the characters, but more can never hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
The track quality seems up there with the original 32 as well. I haven't had time to really dig deep into all the new tracks yet, but Mute City might be in contention for one of the game's best tracks overall, Wario's Goldmine is worth it for the sunset lighting alone, Excitebike has a fun gimmick that adds replay value (it's a bit simplistic, but sometimes those are the most fun tracks), and Yoshi's Circuit is an utterly gimmickless, super-tight, pure test of your drifting skills.
I thought they varied a lot in quality, although the tracks that came with the game did as well. I do like Mute City a lot. I'm not a huge fan of Wario's Goldmine, although it seems to be slightly better than the Wii version of it IMHO. I LOVE the SNES Rainbow Road, mostly just because I LOVE Rainbow Road, and it's simple but good looking in HD on the Wii U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 163 Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hyrule Circuit does come off as a pseudo-Bowser's Castle type track w/ a Zelda paintjob.

More a fan service piece, I think. Pretty to look at though. And the challenge of nailing the 3 crystal pylon things to get your cool sword shortcut thru the main castle room adds some value.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #153 of 163 Old 11-22-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Slightly OT, but I got two of these things, and they are pretty good for being fake GameCube controllers. Because they electrically are Wii Classic controllers, they plug into the Wiimotes work with MK8, unlike actual GCN controllers, for which Nintendo hasn't enabled support in software yet on the Wii U (they only work with Smash Brothers). I also have matching Mario and Luigi Wiimotes, so it works out pretty well. With two of those, and two Wii U Pro Controllers, I can now have 4 people playing all with wireless (these technically have a short wire to the Wiimote, but still) controllers, and none having to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #154 of 163 Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Does the turbo functionality apply to the shoulder buttons on the Hori controller?

Looking forward to getting one for my Wii N64 downloads (I missed my Wavebird after doing a transfer from my Wii) and so that I can finally enjoy Heavy Barrel on Data East Arcade Classics. That arcade classic used the stick that many are familiar with from Ikari Warriors where it's the usual 8 way stick of the era, except it also rotates for aiming and had a trigger.

On this collection, aiming is mapped to the right analog of a Classic Controller and you fire with the right shoulder button. It wears on your hand though after a while since you're almost constantly hitting the fire button.

So I'm looking forward to being able to just keep the button depressed and let this controller's autofire do the work.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-23-2014 at 06:37 PM.
post #155 of 163 Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Does the turbo functionality apply to the shoulder buttons on the Hori controller?
Are you referring to using an item like a mushroom with the left shoulder? That works fine, but the button has WAY less of a keystroke than the shoulder button on a GCN controller, which at first was awful, but after like 15 minutes playing, I got used to it. The combination of an [almost] Gamecube controller with fully functioning wireless and HD on the Wii U was amazing enough to overlook the slight differences between the Hori controller and a real GCN controller.
post #156 of 163 Old 11-23-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm inquiring about the controller's turbo functionality, as seen in the photo below that shows the turbo button that enables the feature and the speed control tab that allows for it to be adjusted.

When enabled, are the shoulder triggers and bumpers affected (i.e., while holding in ZL, ZR, L, or R, does it register as if you were repeatedly pressing the button)?

Or does turbo mode only apply to the ABXY face buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
the button has WAY less of a keystroke than the shoulder button on a GCN controller
I prefer that in most instances (The Classic Controller Pro on the Wii is similar).

There are no simcade racing games on the Wii U so the absence of analog triggers aren't missed by me (Although Project Cars officially is still slated for the Wii U, a release that I'm still skeptical will happen).

And I don't think a single Wii game took advantage of the original Classic Controller's analog shoulder buttons. The longer throw was just a hindrance in games like F-Zero for the Super Nintendo off the Virtual Console.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-23-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #157 of 163 Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm inquiring about the controller's turbo functionality, as seen in the photo below that shows the turbo button that enables the feature and the speed control tab that allows for it to be adjusted.
Oh, sorry, I wasn't sure what you're referring to. I'm not sure if it works, or how it works. I thought it was something for Smash Bros?

Quote:
When enabled, are the shoulder triggers and bumpers affected (i.e., while holding in ZL, ZR, L, or R, does it register as if you were repeatedly pressing the button)?
I could try it at some point, although I may not play for a while, as I usually don't play on my own. It's something that I play when friends come over, as many of them love Mario Kart and other Mario games.

Quote:
And I don't think a single Wii game took advantage of the original Classic Controller's analog shoulder buttons. The longer throw was just a hindrance in games like F-Zero for the Super Nintendo off the Virtual Console.
Did the GCN controllers have analog shoulder buttons? I always thought they were digital, maybe some games treated them as digital, with some threshold for actuation?
post #158 of 163 Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I wasn't sure what you're referring to. I'm not sure if it works, or how it works. I thought it was something for Smash Bros?
Not sure it would be advantageous to use in a fighter, but maybe.

Since I still detect a hint of confusion about this feature, it's just auto fire. Many an aftermarket controller has implemented such a thing over the decades.

When activated, instead of button mashing in a game such as a vertically scrolling arcade shooter like the Raiden franchise, you just keep the button pressed. The controller does the rest of the work and will send a signal to the console as if you were repeatedly hitting the button.

Without that, a game like my previous example would fire your weapon once and then wouldn't fire again until you released the button and depressed it again.

That's tiresome in a button masher like Heavy Barrel so that's why manufacturers like Hori often have implemented auto/turbo functionality in their controllers.

And it's not a game specific feature, it's a controller feature. It could be checked out with any software that supports the Classic Controller.

Quote:
Did the GCN controllers have analog shoulder buttons? I always thought they were digital, maybe some games treated them as digital, with some threshold for actuation?
The GCN's triggers were analog. And they had a bizarre two stage setup where they stopped about halfway through their range of motion and needed additional force to be applied to go past the halfway mark.

A few games like Super Mario Sunshine utilized this to their advantage. Going to the halfway mark on the trigger in that game allowed you to squirt water as you ran. Going all the way down meant you could only fire your water cannon when stationary, but with a more powerful stream of water.

But ironically the one genre that really benefits from analog triggers on a gamepad were harmed by this. Semi realistic racing games that model brake lock and wheelspin depend on being able to make smooth and fine adjustments with the analog triggers.

But the force needed to go past halfway on a GameCube analog trigger meant that you'd basically jump from half throttle all the way to 100%. Not a desirable trait at all for a racer.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #159 of 163 Old 11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Wow, I don't think I've seen a "turbo" function on a third-party controller since the SNES days. Maybe even the NES? Funny how that seemed to be a really big selling point back then.
post #160 of 163 Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hori includes them pretty regularly (Although I don't remember any on their well liked GameCube digital controller, so there's at least one exception). But they have faded somewhat since the days when 2D was king.

They're most common these days on arcade sticks like Hori's Wii arcade stick.

Edit: And both of the MadCatz SFIV fightpads, their Sega styled Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 gamepads, include turbo functionality. Came in handy for Track & Field's achievements on XBLA.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-24-2014 at 09:16 PM.
post #161 of 163 Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure it would be advantageous to use in a fighter, but maybe.

Since I still detect a hint of confusion about this feature, it's just auto fire. Many an aftermarket controller has implemented such a thing over the decades.

When activated, instead of button mashing in a game such as a vertically scrolling arcade shooter like the Raiden franchise, you just keep the button pressed. The controller does the rest of the work and will send a signal to the console as if you were repeatedly hitting the button.

Without that, a game like my previous example would fire your weapon once and then wouldn't fire again until you released the button and depressed it again.

That's tiresome in a button masher like Heavy Barrel so that's why manufacturers like Hori often have implemented auto/turbo functionality in their controllers.

And it's not a game specific feature, it's a controller feature. It could be checked out with any software that supports the Classic Controller.
Yeah, I guess I was just not familiar with this particular button because I normally buy only genuine Nintendo controllers, these were just such a unique and cool product to hack around Nintendo's lack of software for GCN controllers working in MK8 that I snapped them up when I found them. I'm not sure what the functionality would be useful for in MK8 though.

Quote:
The GCN's triggers were analog. And they had a bizarre two stage setup where they stopped about halfway through their range of motion and needed additional force to be applied to go past the halfway mark.

A few games like Super Mario Sunshine utilized this to their advantage. Going to the halfway mark on the trigger in that game allowed you to squirt water as you ran. Going all the way down meant you could only fire your water cannon when stationary, but with a more powerful stream of water.

But ironically the one genre that really benefits from analog triggers on a gamepad were harmed by this. Semi realistic racing games that model brake lock and wheelspin depend on being able to make smooth and fine adjustments with the analog triggers.

But the force needed to go past halfway on a GameCube analog trigger meant that you'd basically jump from half throttle all the way to 100%. Not a desirable trait at all for a racer.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever had a game that used the first stage, only a full depression of the trigger.
post #162 of 163 Old 11-26-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, turbo functionality would be useless in Mario Kart 8.

Enabling turbo mode for instance with your throttle button would mean that when you're at full throttle with the gas button held depressed, the controller is sending a very different signal to the console. It would mimic what would be happening if you were constantly depressing the throttle button and then immediately releasing it. Obviously not of any use in this particular instance.

But it would still allow you to discern if turbo functionality applied to the shoulder buttons. When enabled, the jump function in MK8 that's mapped to the right trigger would be a great demonstration. Without turbo, if you hit the jump button and held it in, your kart would only jump once. You'd have to physically release the shoulder button and depress it again to hop a 2nd time.

With turbo enabled on the Hori, your kart would repeatedly be hopping on its own as long as the jump button was kept depressed (Assuming that turbo functionality isn't limited to the ABXY face buttons).

Explaining what autofire is makes me feel old.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-26-2014 at 03:12 PM.
post #163 of 163 Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, turbo functionality would be useless in Mario Kart 8.

Enabling turbo mode for instance with your throttle button would mean that when you're at full throttle with the gas button held depressed, the controller is sending a very different signal to the console. It would mimic what would be happening if you were constantly depressing the throttle button and then immediately releasing it. Obviously not of any use in this particular instance.

But it would still allow you to discern if turbo functionality applied to the shoulder buttons. When enabled, the jump function in MK8 that's mapped to the right trigger would be a great demonstration. Without turbo, if you hit the jump button and held it in, your kart would only jump once. You'd have to physically release the shoulder button and depress it again to hop a 2nd time.

With turbo enabled on the Hori, your kart would repeatedly be hopping on its own as long as the jump button was kept depressed (Assuming that turbo functionality isn't limited to the ABXY face buttons).

Explaining what autofire is makes me feel old.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm primarily an MK gamer, so I wouldn't know about how it works out in other games...
Reply Nintendo