Mario Kart 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 120 Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I really think we'll really know the console is beyond fixing once that game is out. That's one of the key games they are counting on, and from anything I see, it's going to be boring and I am barely convinced I am even going to buy it. Instead of sticking to what works and having simple racing, they have to do yet another gimmick by having gravity involved. Everything they do now is a gimmick, from the gamepad itself, to the main mechanics in games! I want to do a simple race, not hover. I think I would rather go back to playing the snes Mario kart. NES and SNES games were a lot more fun than many games after those consoles because they were simple and fun, rather than a bunch of "stuff" taking up space all over the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I can't really argue your main point, there's only so much hype that Ninty can continue to hope for given the low sales and lackluster response to even flagship titles, but MK8 doesn't seem like it's too heavy on the gimmick. I mean, DKCR was full of visual and control gimmicks; shake to roll (mad.gif), bongo-style ground pound, the beautiful -but tricky- sunset shore and foggy fume levels... and it still managed to be one of if not THE best 2D platformer of the last 15 years.

While I don't think MK8 will save the Wii U, after seeing more the game I'm kinda excited for it. Even if it's by and large a repeat of the last few MK games, it looks nice and will be familiar to fans, so it's pretty much guaranteed to end up with more sales than SM3DW. This plus Smash will be enough to keep Iwata & Myamoto around, but not enough to escape a distant 3rd for the gen.

C'mon, it does look pretty in motion:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
If all else fails, just pick it up at a yard sale in 5 years for $10 when Wii U is dead
post #3 of 120 Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

While I don't think MK8 will save the Wii U...

While there was no hope of one game saving it, I don't think it will even help much.

When Super Mario 3D World didn't accomplish much to help the Wii U during Christmas, I doubt Mario Kart 8 will. When you look at their sales figures, I doubt Super Mario 3D World was a direct factor in more than perhaps a quarter of a million Wii U's being moved last Christmas.

Mario Kart Wii was a better seller than either 3D Mario platformer on the Wii (By a fair margin as I recall). But when an excellent game like Super Mario 3D World sells as little as it did and doesn't become a system seller, I doubt there's much hope for Mario Kart 8 causing much of a ripple in the pond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

...after seeing more the game I'm kinda excited for it. Even if it's by and large a repeat of the last few MK games, it looks nice and will be familiar to fans...

Mario Kart 8, beyond the addition of a couple of elements like hang gliding from MK7, is extremely reminiscent of Mario Kart Wii when I see gameplay footage of it.

Considering that I put at least 50 hours into that one, it's a good sign where I'm concerned. Mario Kart Wii was where it was at for me for online Wii multiplayer (At least until hacking became widespread).
post #4 of 120 Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I loved Mario kart wii, also, but honestly I would rather it be simpler graphics rather than huge buildings all over the place. For Zelda, I love it looing nice, but for racing it would be better to have more simple backgrounds.
post #5 of 120 Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

But when an excellent game like Super Mario 3D World sells as little as it did and doesn't become a system seller, I doubt there's much hope for Mario Kart 8 causing much of a ripple in the pond.
I dunno man, you said it yourself, MK Wii way outside the 3D Marios on Wii, both of which were arguably as good if not better than 3D World. I don't think any one game can save Wii U at this point either, but in this day and age a competitive multiplayer kart racer stands a much better chance of being a system seller than a 3D platformer, no matter how good the latter is.
post #6 of 120 Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

I'm gonna be depressed when they inevitably announce that the wii u Zelda game will be HEAVILY using the gamepad. I will automatically know it won't be as fun, just as skyward sword was hurt by the bad controls (for me).
post #7 of 120 Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

I'm gonna be depressed when they inevitably announce that the wii u Zelda game will be HEAVILY using the gamepad. I will automatically know it won't be as fun, just as skyward sword was hurt by the bad controls (for me).

Think you're gonna be depressed? Metroid fans will probably be spinning around the living room in quasi-drunken circles trying to scan $#it. Gamepad-as-a-visor is like pecan pie with onions. Consumable? Probably. Good idea? Hell no.

Mario Kart gamepad integration? "Screw it... make it a horn or something. We need to use the gamepad!"

By the time Zelda launches... it'll be mandatory as they try and sell the idea once again. I don't even want to think about how they're trying to make use of the thing now

SS was actually better for the Motion+ controls IMO. The game overworld/dungeon approach was a nice departure, too, but the average gamer didn't want to get off the couch to play... gamepad (as anything more than a map or inventory screen) just adds needless gimmick and complexity in games like Zelda and Metroid. Here's to hoping they use it sparingly.

Man, I'm off topic here...
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #8 of 120 Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

It was better for it if they worked, but for me they were horrible. I was constantly having to "recalibrate" over and voer and over.
post #9 of 120 Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I dunno man, you said it yourself, MK Wii way outside the 3D Marios on Wii, both of which were arguably as good if not better than 3D World. I don't think any one game can save Wii U at this point either, but in this day and age a competitive multiplayer kart racer stands a much better chance of being a system seller than a 3D platformer, no matter how good the latter is.

And while you will still encounter the hackers, it is pretty surprising to see just how many MK Wii players are online these days. Never a problem meeting up with 11 other racers on any given day or night. And if they have hackers among them, just exit out & log in again. Has usually worked for me. My kids have been playing MKWii A LOT lately via Wii U, as well as MK7. Both are nearly salivating for MK8.

In other words...a system savior? Maybe, maybe not. But I do see MK8 possibly being Wii U's biggest title to date.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #10 of 120 Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

It's a problem on here because nobody will play against me. Why don't any of you want to see if you ebat me? tongue.gif

Actually for Mario kart you probably will beat me because I hate using the brakes so I go off the road too much.
post #11 of 120 Old 02-22-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Frankly, if you're giving the brakes any thought, you're likely not playing this or any other Mario Kart correctly and won't be difficult to beat.

The brakes are there essentially because brakes are expected to be in a racing game. But getting around any circuit in any Mario Kart, you don't need the brakes. You power slide around turns and never need the brakes to get around any circuit in Mario Kart Wii. If you're actually hitting them before some turns, you're surrendering tons of time instead of drifting and miniboosting through them. And if you think you should be using them, you probably haven't invested much time into it and are relatively slow due to inexperience.

The only times I ever hit the brakes in Mario Kart Wii off the top of my head have been to save myself from spinning after hitting a banana or when I knew a blue shell was on the way and I was in the lead and wanted to quickly surrender it. I can't think of any other instance where I ever hit the left shoulder button of my Wavebird on Mario Kart Wii (If that was even your brakes... I used them so little it very well might not of been). Pretty much par for the course in this series where if you're using them, it's strategically rather than with the goal of getting the fastest possible lap time.

I'll give you a race if you want. Might take a few laps to get used to things though since I haven't fired it up in a number of years. And I'll be playing on my Wii U and have never used a Classic Controller Pro with this game so there might be some adjusting there as well (I always used my Wavebird on the Wii for it).
post #12 of 120 Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Playing VC games with the wiimote or classic controller was beyond annoying for me. The wii u pro controller feels great. Now if Nintendo would ever release anything on wii u VC.

Als, I said brakes, but what I meant is when you're doing sharp turns, so it's still what I consider brakes, but I forget what they call it. I have won some online races before, but I'm not saying I'm great. Just that people here must think I am, thus they aren't playing against me.
post #13 of 120 Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM

Liked: 10

x

--- Oops sorry, wasn't supposed to post here.

post #14 of 120 Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Been watching videos of the retro courses. My opinion was kind of mixed at first since I liked the straight forward method of updating that they've followed since introducing the concept a generation ago. But I think I'm a fan of remaking them now.

These remakes of tracks from several generations could easily pass for original modern courses for any gamer not familiar with past entries in this franchise. Some, like Rainbow Road 64, are almost unrecognizable (I do wish the Lite Brite style Constellations in the sky were kept in this one though).
post #15 of 120 Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I'm excited for this, even though it kind of sucks to buy a doomed console just for a couple of games (or one if Mario Party never comes out).
Quote:

Been watching videos of the retro courses. My opinion was kind of mixed at first since I liked the straight forward method of updating that they've followed since introducing the concept a generation ago. But I think I'm a fan of remaking them now.

These remakes of tracks from several generations could easily pass for original modern courses for any gamer not familiar with past entries in this franchise. Some, like Rainbow Road 64, are almost unrecognizable (I do wish the Lite Brite style Constellations in the sky were kept in this one though).

The remakes of old tracks are always interesting, even if they're not exactly like the original one. It's nice to see them more often than the N64 gets pulled out. I've noticed that on a modern 1080p TV, the N64 looks like CRAP. No amount of video processing will help that thing.
post #16 of 120 Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

With a RGB mod and a nice upscaler, it can look quite good on a modern HDTV.

And the Virtual Console downloads off the Wii Virtual Console look excellent although they're rendering the games at 480p rather than the 240p that most of them originally put out. They're much sharper, the blurriness of the original hardware isn't there, and obviously the cable transmitting the signal is far superior to RF/Composite/S-Video that we all used on the original system.
post #17 of 120 Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With a RGB mod and a nice upscaler, it can look quite good on a modern HDTV.

And the Virtual Console downloads off the Wii Virtual Console look excellent although they're rendering the games at 480p rather than the 240p that most of them originally put out. They're much sharper, the blurriness of the original hardware isn't there, and obviously the cable transmitting the signal is far superior to RF/Composite/S-Video that we all used on the original system.

Uh, yeah, I'm not opening up my N64. It's in like-new condition, and I'm going to keep it that way. I tried to run it through my DVDO EDGE Green, only to find out that the EDGE Green doesn't support 240p, so now I have this cheap Monoprice converter doing the composite 240p-HDMI 1080p conversion. There's probably something better out there, it's just not really worth dumping more money into something that's so rarely used... The Wii goes through the DVDO EDGE with component cables. Even then, there's only so much you can do, it looks OK, but not great on my 60" TV.

I have the virtual console, and yes, it looks a lot better, but it's just not the same as playing on a real N64 controller!
post #18 of 120 Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I've noticed that on a modern 1080p TV, the N64 looks like CRAP. No amount of video processing will help that thing.
This is why you pickup older consoles at yard sales or craigslist. They're cheap and often already a little scratched up, which means they're great for modding. Keep your pristine console w/ box for collector purposes and hammer away on the other.
post #19 of 120 Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

This is why you pickup older consoles at yard sales or craigslist. They're cheap and often already a little scratched up, which means they're great for modding. Keep your pristine console w/ box for collector purposes and hammer away on the other.

Not interested in doing that. I'll do whatever I can to process the video coming out of it, but that's where I draw the line. I rarely ever play it anyways.
post #20 of 120 Old 04-30-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Mario Kart 8 looks pretty freakin' fantastic!

This video is over a half-hour long, but informative and fairly entertaining as these things go:

ThisOneKidMongo likes this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 120 Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if it was covered in it, but for those (like me!) who don't have the patience to sit through a 30-minute video, there will be a bundle available that comes with a 32GB Wii U, Mario Kart 8, red Mario Wiimote, and a red Wii Wheel for $329.99.

Also, registering any copy of MK8 (physical or digital, bundle or not) on the eShop nets you a free download of one of the following games:

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U

I was kiiiiiinda on the fence about MK8 since I haven't really enjoyed the series since Double Dash, but free Wind Waker is definitely going to push me over. That and every new piece of media seems to indicate that the game is shaping up great.
DaverJ likes this.
post #22 of 120 Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

for those (like me!) who don't have the patience to sit through a 30-minute video

You might want to take a peek at the first couple minutes. For example, at 3:34 they show the new anti-gravity mode that lets you drive up walls and upside down.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 120 Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I did end up watching like the first 10 minutes or so. Nintendo does a decent job of keeping Directs interesting but it's rare I'll watch a full one.

I did just read elsewhere that MK8 supports voice chat...in lobbies only. So, no trash-talking your friends during races. I mean, if in-game chat were in I would DEFINITELY mute it most of the time since I have no need to hear 11 strangers in my head, but at least give us the option of chatting with people on your Friends List. Seriously Nintendo, way to hand ammo to the "Really Nintendo, it's 2014" crowd.
DaverJ likes this.
post #24 of 120 Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
If you buy the game at retail or on the eShop, and register it on Club Nintendo, you can get a free game from the eShop! Bundle and LE copies included! Both Europe and NA confirmed too!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=810577

Games for NA :
- Pikmin 3
- Wii Party U

I'm in for Wind Waker HD!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #25 of 120 Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if it was covered in it, but for those (like me!) who don't have the patience to sit through a 30-minute video, there will be a bundle available that comes with a 32GB Wii U, Mario Kart 8, red Mario Wiimote, and a red Wii Wheel for $329.99.

Also, registering any copy of MK8 (physical or digital, bundle or not) on the eShop nets you a free download of one of the following games:

- Pikmin 3
- Wii Party U

I was kiiiiiinda on the fence about MK8 since I haven't really enjoyed the series since Double Dash, but free Wind Waker is definitely going to push me over. That and every new piece of media seems to indicate that the game is shaping up great.

The free game is pretty sweet. The bundles are so confusing though. There are a whole bunch of them available on Amazon, and making sense of them makes my head hurt. I think the Super Mario Bros/ Luigi Bros bundle is the best deal, and then buy the other stuff separately. The free game download is pretty sweet though.
post #26 of 120 Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I generally don't pay much heed to game review scores but do keep an eye on Eurogamer since they generally seem a bit harsher than most sites -- the thought being that if they really like a game, it's probably worth a look. That being the case, a 10/10 from them for MK8 is pretty encouraging: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-15-mario-kart-8-review

Combined with the free game deal, MK8 is looking more and more of a no-brainier purchase. Maybe this will even be the first $60 release that I buy digitally instead, counting on never eventually wanting to resell it.
DaverJ likes this.
post #27 of 120 Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Dang... I just looked up some more reviews, and MK8 is getting 9+/10 all around the globe.

Except Wired, who hates battle mode so much they wrote an entire article on it

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/mario-kart-8-wii-u/
post #28 of 120 Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Liked: 26
Hmm, given what I didn't like about the last few titles in the series, I don't think I'll like MK8 much more. Yeah I'll still buy it and play it, but it won't be awesome like it should be as long as the unavoidable blue shell is around. (And no, I don't consider the "Super Horn" useful to avoid it since you won't get it if you're in first!) I also agree that battle mode sounds idiotic. I hope it plays better than it sounds, but I'm not optimistic.
post #29 of 120 Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read that you can get it from 1st place.

Battle mode lost its appeal long ago for me. Not sure I ever gave it a real try in the GBA and GCN entries, but after loving it in the first two games, they lost me the previous generation.

Been long enough now where I don't really remember why, but I definitely didn't enjoy battle mode on MKDS and MKWii. I'm assuming the Wii mode didn't get much love so that's why they've kind of demphasized it a bit here.
post #30 of 120 Old 05-15-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it's funny, Battle Mode was all I played on the SNES version, and then a lot on the N64 as well, but I don't think I'm alone in finding it steadily losing appeal in every iteration since then.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page