Do you still play your Super Nintendo, if so, what's your setup ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Just curious how many people still fire up their Super Nintendo, or other retro systems.

I still play my SNES, as well as my Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, PS1, 32X, Jaguar, 3DO, TurboGrafx-16 etc, etc... it goes in phases for me. I might go two or three years with hardly touching retro games, and then all of a sudden, it seems like the only games I'm interested in playing are Retro. I recently bought two next-gen gaming machines (PS4 and XB1), yet I find myself strangely attracted to playing retro games right now.

I'm using a standard Super Nintendo, with RGB cable going to a Sony PVM-20M2MU. The monitor is in near new condition, and my video quality is absolutely fantastic. Of course, it's just a 19 inch 4:3 screen, so it's more of a sit close and zone out to the retro gaming experience type thing. I've tried hooking my systems up to my plasma and my projector and stuff like that, but I always end up back with my CRT when I want that reference quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzXvyid9FVg

This isn't my video or my setup, but the monitor is the same, and you can kinda get the gist of it. I have my sound going to a pretty high quality sound system. Games like F-Zero on my setup are pretty impressive with the combination of the RGB video and the high quality sound chip in the SNES. Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Contra 3: The Alien Wars, Super Castlevania IV.... All those games look and sound amazing on my setup. It's a joy to play these great games from the early 90's, on a monitor I would have never been able to afford originally. ( my PVM originally retailed for about 6 grand brand new, it was primarily sold to hospitals as an Endoscopy monitor )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I still use my original Super Nintendo which was a Christmas present in 1995. It's connected via S-Video to a Sony Trinitron and someday likely will be RGB equipped and connected to my HDTV via something like a XRGB Mini (Leaving the S-Video equipped Retro Duo with its excellent SuperNes half to take its place on my CRT for when the mood strikes to play on a CRT).

In reserve still is an example of the Super Nintendo redesign from the late 1990's that was bought one year on Black Friday in 1999 or 2000 at Wal-Mart for $50 or so from a pallet full of them. Besides being tested, it still sits in its box in reserve for a day that hopefully won't arrive (I similarly have a GameCube and the very last new PS2 I ever saw in a store two years ago NIB as spares).
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've had a retro itch lately as well. In fact I just picked up 3 genesis games off amazon, and trying to determine whether I want to pick up a cheap genesis, or wait till the Retron 5 comes out to see how good that is.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

(I similarly have a GameCube and the very last new PS2 I ever saw in a store two years ago NIB as spares).

Wow, that's hardcore. I thought I was crazy for having a backup Wii and PS3 (original PS2-capable version), but mine aren't NIB, they're used in good shape. I do have two NES-capable multi-systems and one SNES system, along with a GameCube w/ Gameboy Player ... but my emulators handle most of the old games for me at this point (except Virtual Console purchases), it's just easier with a PC.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I've had a retro itch lately as well. In fact I just picked up 3 genesis games off amazon, and trying to determine whether I want to pick up a cheap genesis, or wait till the Retron 5 comes out to see how good that is.

I'd get a cheap genesis. Get a Euro MegaDrive scart cable, and then get this adapter from Amazon for like $50:

http://www.amazon.com/BG-460-SCART-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B00988GMLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397021669&sr=8-1&keywords=scart+hdmi+converter

You could hook your genesis right up via hdmi with a scart rgb quality picture.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 79
NES here.
Wish duck hunt would work on the plasma.
Miss tetris, think someone stole it.

2015 it is.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'd get a cheap genesis. Get a Euro MegaDrive scart cable, and then get this adapter from Amazon for like $50:

http://www.amazon.com/BG-460-SCART-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B00988GMLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397021669&sr=8-1&keywords=scart+hdmi+converter

You could hook your genesis right up via hdmi with a scart rgb quality picture.

Thanks for the tip, though the Retron 5 will also have hdmi out of the box, and one feature that will really come in handy: save states. Thats especially useful considering many retro games are designed to be played through in one sitting( a luxury I no longer have as an adult). I do kinda want the 'authentic' experience, but if the Retron can provide as close to it as possible, I may go that route. Either way, with the cost of SNES games going out of control, Im going to start collecting for the Genesis while the prices for its best games are still reasonably cheap. Its getting harder and harder now to find cheap retro games out in the wild now ( flea markets, car boot sales, thrift shops) as everyone now looks online and thinks that the BIN prices on ebay represent the proper value of their games, and because people are paying these ridiculous prices its gone out of control. I expect genesis and n64 carts to be next once the SNES bubble bursts, so stock up now.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I don't know... I've heard of lots of these super consoles, these clones and stuff, and I've never seen one really do everything that was promised. There is always problems with the audio, or the timing or whatever.

Actually, there are some emulators on PC that are damn near perfect, like 99.5 percent of the experience, as long as you use a usb controller from the actual system. Only reason I don't just use emulators like this, is because I like the natural, native RGB output that the legit, real systems produce. There are video cards for the PC that will output 15.75 Khz rgb, but I still think something is lost. It's more artificial. The native, real, natural rgb coming from the system, and the native stereo sound is the best you're going to get.

As for the cost of games going out of control, just look for an Everdrive. It's more convenient to not have to constantly swap carts anyways. Also, I think certain versions of the Everdrive, or other similar flash carts might support save states.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

An Ouya is a better deal than a Retron 5. You can pair it with a nice modern wireless gamepad, have additional emulators available for other systems not covered by the Retron 5, and don't need original cartridges all while having the same Androis based hardware guts at the core of it as a Retron 5 (And likely, the same emulators if rumors are to be believed that the only proprietary software on a Retron 5 is the front end itself with the programs being the open source ones you can freely download on an Ouya). Plus, the Retron 5 won't work with multicarts like the Super Everdrive since it dumps the contents of the cartridge into RAM so the most you'll get with a multicart will be the multicart's main menu.

As for clones, these SuperNes clones are very impressive where their accuracy is concerned. Along with Legacy Engineering's 2600 on a chip on the Atari Flashback 2 and the Commodore 64 chip on the C64 Direct to TV plug and plays, it's the best hardware clone I've seen by a mile. I understand the very earliest examples showed incorrect colors in Super FX games when they first appeared 6 or 7 years ago, but the only issue of significance since then on things like the Retro Duo has been compatibility issues with the handful of SA-1 cartridges and a few tiny quirks here and there like triggering the piracy check in Earthbound that makes the game more difficult.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Actually, there are some emulators on PC that are damn near perfect, like 99.5 percent of the experience,

If pure accuracy is your goal, look into higan (née bsnes).

The developer is aiming for accuracy at the expense of everything else, including performance... which is why the system requirements are so high. He actually made a decent argument about why it's necessary though at ArsTechnica a few years back: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can live with about 97 percent or higher accuracy. I know there are people out there looking for that 99.9 percent accuracy, but 97 percent or better is pretty good. You have to be a real stickler for details to notice the minor differences.

The Sega Saturn emulator for example is pretty crappy. I don't really consider the Saturn as a legit emulated system until it gets to like 85 percent accuracy at least. I'm not sure if the Atari Jaguar has a legit emulator either. Same thing with Panasonic 3DO. I know they all have emulators, but no where near as good as the emulation for NES, Genesis, SNES, even PS1.
gregleg likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Many an official console isn't even 99.9%. Specifications drift as components age, manufacturing revisions create compatibility issues, programming quirks, locking out 3rd party publishers (Intellivision and Sega Genesis hardware revisions spring to mind), features are stripped out to reduce cost, etc. An emulator that is 97% (Although how you could ever truly quantify a percentage figure, I don't know) would essentially be perfect for all intents and purposes.

Atari Jaguar emulation was finally making strides in the past 2 or 3 years. Not sure if it's still improving, but some games have finally became playable where as the earliest Jag emulation was little more than a novelty. So there's a bit of hope there that it will someday at least be as good as an inaccurate but usually very playable emulator like ZSNES from 10-15 years ago.

Not sure about 3DO emulation recently although that's one I'd love to see make advances. Not particular interested in messing with early CD drives with the Saturn the oldest I go. I emulate Sega CD and just don't play 3DO and Jag CD titles.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, ok, well, when I'm saying 97 percent, I'm kinda just throwing out a number, but you know what I mean. We all know that there are NES emulators, and Genesis emulators and TurboGrafx-16 emulators that are very, very good. Super Nintendo etc, etc. I'm not sure what percentage would be applicable, but I can say that if you got a usb controller for that particular system, you could probably fool yourself into 98 percent of the experience. Obviously, again, there will be people that will harp on this or that, but for the most part, the experience is pretty damn solid.

But then there are other systems like the Jaguar, 3DO and Saturn, where emulation does exist, but it's nowhere near as good as the emulation for SNES or Genesis or even PS1. PS1 emulation is actually quite good. Nintendo 64 emulation isn't too bad either. But see, with some Nintendo 64 games you start to have some problems if you aren't using a specific emulator that it likes. I'm not sure how the PS2 emulators are, I haven't tried any.

But if anybody is a fan of Jaguar, 3DO or Sega Saturn, you pretty much have to have the real McCoy if you want to enjoy it at all. I'm not a HUGE fan of Jaguar or 3DO, but I still have a special fondness for them, and I'll probably always own both of those physical systems as long as they are functioning. (I should probably buy a backup 3DO and Jag and just store away in the attic) The Saturn is a system that definitely deserves a place in any retro gamers library, so no question I have to own one of those puppies.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, ok, well, when I'm saying 97 percent, I'm kinda just throwing out a number, but you know what I mean.

Yeah, I knew exactly what you meant. An emulation program that on the surface appears perfect in the vast majority of instances despite the necessary shortcuts that had to be taken, the inexact or nonexistent technical documentation the programmer had available, and just mistakes and oversights in general that keep it from truly being a 100% software reproduction of the original hardware.

I wasn't taking a shot at what you said, but more in general at anything like a emulation author claiming 97% accuracy, a game reviewer scoring a game a 6.45 out of 10, and similar nonsense where a very exact number is offered that couldn't possibly ever be really quantified.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I've owned and long since sold off a bunch of retro consoles over the years (Sega Master System, Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast) and the only one I really miss and wish I could revisit is, oddly enough, the Panasonic 3DO. While the controllers for that console uniformly stunk it had some great looking games for its day which totally blew away the competition at the time - Crash 'n Burn, Total Eclipse, Starfighter, Escape From Monster Manor, PO'ed, Road Rash and the Shockwave games to name just a few. Lots of really innovative stuff on that console that really influenced future generations of console software.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Currently hooked up and occupying an AVR input for me is the SNES, N64 w/ CD64 attached, GameCube, 3DO, and Genesis/SegaCD. Dreamcast gets swapped in pretty regularly, too.

I've been playing some Cyberia and Need for Speed on 3DO as of late. I've also become somewhat of a stickler for hunting down boxes and instruction manuals that I'm missing. Retro gaming isn't always cheap.