Wii U gamepad often won't turn the console on. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Wii U gamepad often won't turn the console on.

I'm puzzled by this problem I've been having. The Wii U was fine at first, but a few weeks in the console started occasionally not turning on when the gamepad power button was pressed.

This would result in an error screen on the gamepad telling me to move closer to the system (Which never did any good). This necessitated using a Wii remote or hitting the power button on the system to turn it on whenever it occurred (I don't own a Wii U Pro Controller so I don't know if that would work). Then, everything will work fine with no other gamepad issues, gamepad turns the console off like it should, etc.

But this has increased so much in frequency over the past half year that it rarely ever powers the system on at this point. Forcing a resync with a trick I saw posted at Nintendo's support forum didn't resolve the issue yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice? It sure doesn't strike me as something being broken since the gamepad communicates just fine once the system is on and is able to turn the system off every time without fail.

But for some reason, that prompt telling the system to power on just isn't getting through. Hate to send in my gamepad and/or console and get someone else's back in return that very well has serious issues lurking, a scratched screen, etc.

Happened when my first 360 got the red ring of death years ago. I went from a DVD drive that was absolutely perfect to one that starting giving errors fairly regularly (And was long out of warranty except for the extended RROD warranty which left me stuck).

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-15-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I'm puzzled by this problem I've been having. The Wii U was fine at first, but a few weeks in the console started occasionally not turning on when the gamepad power button was pressed.

This would result in an error screen on the gamepad telling me to move closer to the system (Which never did any good). This necessitated using a Wii remote or hitting the power button on the system to turn it on whenever it occurred (I don't own a Wii U Pro Controller so I don't know if that would work). Then, everything will work fine with no other gamepad issues, gamepad turns the console off like it should, etc.

But this has increased so much in frequency over the past half year that it rarely ever powers the system on at this point. Forcing a resync with a trick I saw posted at Nintendo's support forum didn't resolve the issue yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice? It sure doesn't strike me as something being broken since the gamepad communicates just fine once the system is on and is able to turn the system off every time without fail.

But for some reason, that prompt telling the system to power on just isn't getting through. Hate to send in my gamepad and/or console and get someone else's back in return that very well has serious issues lurking, a scratched screen, etc.

Happened when my first 360 got the red ring of death years ago. I went from a DVD drive that was absolutely perfect to one that starting giving errors fairly regularly (And was long out of warranty except for the extended RROD warranty which left me stuck).
Do you experience the same issue when using the Home button to turn it on?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you talking about that new menu from the last update? I didn't enable the quick start option and this issue predates that. Was a Christmas gift and I think this started occurring perhaps a month later.

I have used the tv remote option on the gamepad to start the console and the behavior isn't any different.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From more research, seen a few people say removing the battery for a few seconds helps. I rather doubt it, but I guess that's my last recourse to solve it on my own. I really was hoping the next firmware update would solve it, but that came and went and the problem only got worse.

Nintendo's support section is terrible, confusing, and doesn't even list this issue.

Going to have to go through the hassle of calling I guess. I hope their tech support isn't in India and that if I get a Westerner, I get someone that isn't a creep. Last time I called a tech support number, it was for Time Warner Cable. And it was an American or Canadian from the sounds of it, but he was terribly rude and idiotic.

At least when it's offshored, they're polite. Often not very effective (Often, not even their fault), but always with manners.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I refuse to believe that any phone support could be worse than Time Warner Cable's.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've only had my Wii U for a few weeks and have had this issue happen a few times, so I don't believe it's because of your Wii U's age. Not sure why it just misses the signal from time to time.

PSN: PrankT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If it goes like mine has, 100 hours of use from now, it will almost never turn on via the gamepad power button.

Edit: And as expected, removing the gamepad battery had zero effect.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-16-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page