Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Wii Shop and Virtual console games

Recently got a wii for the kids room and wanted to downlod some classis Mario games from the virtual console store. Everytime i try to input my CC information it gives me an error. I was just going to buy a Wii points card and use that but a Gamestop employee told me that all online functionality for the Wii is no longer supported and I can't DL and purchase virtual console games.

Is this true? I did a little research and only read that the online gaming portion was shut down. I woul like to know for sure before I buy $20 worth of wii points.
Thanks.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
It should still work: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/inf...ces-update.jsp

That being said, I tried to update a friend's console to 4.3U last week so that she could even get into the shop at all, and every time it gave an error.

We ended up giving up on it.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 07-17-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was just on the Wii Shop a couple days ago because I needed the system transfer app. Everything worked OK for me, but I wasn't trying to purchase anything. As was mentioned, it should still work.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The GameStop employee was incorrect.

Nintendo shut down some online functionality last year. Gone was their promotional Nintendo Channel that hadn't seen any new content for months prior, messaging and Mii transfers, the Everybody Votes and Check Mii Out channels, and the news and weather channels. Essentially if it involved Wii Connect 24, it was eliminated.

Retained were the more essential online services. Namely, the 3rd party video streaming apps like Netflix, the Wii Shop, online multiplayer in still active games, and the internet channel (Which I don't see how they could ever disable).

Then several weeks ago, Nintendo shut down their online multiplayer in games like Mario Kart Wii due to the goings on with their online multiplayer contractor, GameSpy. Left after that are the video apps like Netflix, the remaining remnants of 3rd party multiplayer enabled releases like Activision's Call of Duty line, the Wii Shop, and the internet channel.

I did the system transfer and downloaded several games back in April just fine. Still intend to grab Super Hang-On though, so I'll have to log back in soon and pick that one up and then call it quits after 7 and a half years.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My brother just got a Wii U a couple weeks ago, went into Wii mode, and downloaded Dr. Mario from the Wii eShop, so I can confirm you can indeed still download games that way, unless things have drastically changed in less than 14 days. (Though unfortunately it turns out that Dr. Mario Wii is one of those games that no longer has working online multiplayer.)
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Thx for the heads up guys, appreciate it. Im thinking About just reselling the wii and getting a wii u. Nintendo has refurbished 32 gig systems on their website for $200. My only real interst to get a wii U would be to try out the Mario games, but I think most of the updated sidescroller Mario's are also on the wii, right?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The original Mario content is exclusive to the system it was on. New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U are two separate games. I can see though how the names could mislead into thinking that the latter is just a port of the former for Nintendo's newer system.

Ignoring the Wii U's backwards compatibility that enables it to play Wii software, the only Mario content shared across both are older games from the NES/SNES/N64 that have been rereleased digitally that run via emulation on each system's respective Virtual Console.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page