Issue: SNES scart to hdmi upscaler not outputting full screen - AVS Forum
Nintendo > Issue: SNES scart to hdmi upscaler not outputting full screen
Lyons 08:10 AM 08-16-2014
I bought this upscaler and a scart cable for an NTSC SNES:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371089059189?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

I saw some reviews in the unit and it works great but I cannot get the unit to output my entire 1080p Samsung PN64F5300 plasma tv. I tried all the settings and still cannot get it to work.

Any help or suggestions?

Lyons 07:24 PM 08-16-2014
Any ideas?
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 09:51 PM 08-16-2014
I imagine Zombies Ate My Neighbors underscanned which means it didn't render a picture in the area likely to be hidden by the CRT's overscan area. Edit: Just noticed the borders being uneven with the game shifted a bit left and up, it appears, so maybe not.

Why is it 16:9? If it lacks a option to maintain the original aspect ratio, I hope it was cheap.
Lyons 03:35 PM 08-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I imagine Zombies Ate My Neighbors underscanned which means it didn't render a picture in the area likely to be hidden by the CRT's overscan area. Edit: Just noticed the borders being uneven with the game shifted a bit left and up, it appears, so maybe not.

Why is it 16:9? If it lacks a option to maintain the original aspect ratio, I hope it was cheap.

All games do it the same. But they don't do it on the n64 with a similar adapter. Could it be the cheapo scart cable? I read reviews on the upscaler and no mention of this.

Also it was only $40, so not a huge issue.

The tv is a plasma otherwise I wouldn't mind the black area, I just prefer to use full screen when possible with a plasma obviously.

Also even when I set the tv to 4:3 it still has black and sits unevenly within that 4:3 box
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 10:25 PM 08-19-2014
A bad cable can certainly cause issues, but I don't know if your symptoms could be attributed to that so I won't recommend anything one way or another. About all I could suggest is going to a forum that concentrates on classic gaming since the classic gaming populace at AVS isn't large and none of us have helped you so far.

Just to warn you, you'll probably going to encounter having a black border here and there frequently especially on your N64. Wave Race 64 for instance has a black border since they didn't waste any processing power rendering a picture in an area of the screen unlikely to seen by the customer where as Super Mario 64 is full screen. Fairly common trick in the 3D era to leave the underscan area blank, not sure if it was pulled often in the 16 bit days.

Hopefully you can zoom in slightly in such instances if you're afraid of having the slight windowing of the game present on your plasma for any length of time.
Up
Mobile  Desktop