• 1 Post By ThisOneKidMongo
post #1 of 16 Old 11-26-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Super Smash Bros - Wii u and 3DS

Surprised there isn't any topic about this game. It's the Wii U fastest selling game so far.

Who picked this game up? Your impressions??

I will pick it up (probably this weekend) when I'm done with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze but I can't wait to play it! I'm surprise by my self control

Reviews are amazing and it's a reason to own a Wii U!
tampabuc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This particular forum isn't particularly active. Thats probably why you're not seeing the activity you'd think.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-26-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The only thing of interest here to me is Masterpiece mode. That mode essentially contains a bunch of timed Virtual Console demos that can be purchased from the eShop if the player desires the full experience.

What's interesting here are the two Game Boy masterpieces. With an emulator up and running on the Wii U to provide these demo experiences, can we expect Game Boy/Game Boy Color downloads to follow on the Wii U?

Or did they really do all that work merely just to provide demos of two eShop releases that can't even be purchased and played through their entirety on the Wii U, requiring a 3DS instead?

I wouldn't buy much (Perhaps a half dozen sure purchases from the likely candidates that would see release), but I'd love to see the Game Boy/Game Boy Color range added to the Wii U's Virtual Console.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished Donkey Kong last night so I will pick up SSB tomorrow with black friday deals!

Might pick some Amiibos also... even tho my girlfriend will probably buy me Link for my christmas stocking.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Picked up the game friday with 2 Amiibos (didn't pick up Link since my GF will put it into my xmas stocking).

Played for ~2hours friday and had a blast! First real Smash game I play. Haven't tried the Amiibos yet tho.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm having a lot of fun with this game--even though it's essentially identical gameplay-wise with the 3DS version, it still feels surprisingly different. Having a real analog stick probably accounts for much of that, but regularly facing off against 5-8 opponents is a factor too. Ness and Wii Fit Trainer were my go-to characters on 3DS, but on Wii U I find myself gravitating towards heavy hitters like Ike and Ganondorf. Not only do they fare much better in free-for-alls than precision characters like Ness and WFT, but they're also generally better suited for the survival-based content like Master/Crazy Orders.

That said, I do find myself sometimes wishing I'd elected not to pick up the 3DS version, as having spent so much time with that does make the Wii U version--despite its shiny HD-ness and generally superior content--feel a little less "new." It almost feels like I've spent the last couple months playing an extended demo for the "real" version.

It also makes me really, really wish I could transplant some of the 3DS-exclusive stages to the Wii U version. The latter is hardly lacking for stages, both in terms of sheer quantity and overall quality, but some of the stage decisions truly are odd. Like, why bring back Brawl's Mario Circuit when there's already an all-new Mario Circuit stage? Even more so with the retro/new Animal Crossing stages, which are nearly identical. And did ANYONE want Brawl's Bridge of Eldin Zelda stage back over Pirate Ship (a choice that leaves Toon Link without a proper home stage)? It also seems weird to restrict the new F-Zero and Earthbound stages to the 3DS version when those are based on home console games, leaving Captain Falcon and Ness with only retro stages on Wii U. And though I have an unusual affection for Pac-Land (I played the NES version A LOT growing up), I'm guessing that oddball stage is going to confuse many Wii U players younger than me-- Pac-Maze really should've been a shared stage between the two versions, just like the Mega Man, Punch-Out and Xenoblade stages.

And dammit, are we ever getting N64 Saffron City back?

And while I'm complaining about stages, "Omega Mode" is nice, but is it really necessary to have EVERY Omega stage be Final Destination? Even the most hardcore tourney players don't play ONLY on FD--I think most of them generally consider Battlefield to be more neutral if anything. I would've preferred it if Omega stages, rather than giving us 50 identical Final Destinations, threw in a different simple layout of 0-6 platforms for each stage or something. Better yet, also give us a "Alpha Mode" or whatever that leaves the stage layout alone but just removes hazards--it'd be nice to play on the sweet stage layout of the Mega Man stage without the f***ing Yellow Devil showing up every 5 seconds. Some hazard-less versions of stages already exist in Event Mode, so it doesn't seem like it'd be hard to patch something like this in.

Yeeeeeeah, that was a lot of nitpicking, but in my defense, these are pretty much my only complaints about the game. It's just that when a game is this polished, the few baffling design choices stick out that much more.

...oh, and Smash Tour suuuuuuuuuucks.
tampabuc likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-08-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I need a bigger TV.... the 8 player stages it's so hard to see the action!

Fun game to play with my girlfriend for ~1h each time.

Still looking for a main. I have my affection for Zelda's serie so even tho Link isn't the best.. I just love him
post #8 of 16 Old 12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I've found Link's pretty usable in this one! Probably the best he's ever been in Smash. Seems better than Toon Link, for once.

I'm slowly taking down all the Challenges in this game (fully accepting that there a bunch I'll just never be able to do), and man, the single-player modes really contain a level of the computer dicking you over on par with Mario Kart. Soooooooo many Classic/Master Orders/Crazy Orders runs abruptly ruined by a bomb dropping right in front of me as I'm charging up a forward smash, a Smash Ball/Hammer/Assist Trophy spawning right next to CPU fighter that was otherwise on its last legs, etc. Starting to really wish they turned off items in most of these modes.

Also, is it just me or does the Smash Ball spawn way more often in the Wii U version than the 3DS one?
post #9 of 16 Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
Actually I've found Link's pretty usable in this one! Probably the best he's ever been in Smash. Seems better than Toon Link, for once.

I'm slowly taking down all the Challenges in this game (fully accepting that there a bunch I'll just never be able to do), and man, the single-player modes really contain a level of the computer dicking you over on par with Mario Kart. Soooooooo many Classic/Master Orders/Crazy Orders runs abruptly ruined by a bomb dropping right in front of me as I'm charging up a forward smash, a Smash Ball/Hammer/Assist Trophy spawning right next to CPU fighter that was otherwise on its last legs, etc. Starting to really wish they turned off items in most of these modes.

Also, is it just me or does the Smash Ball spawn way more often in the Wii U version than the 3DS one?
Yeha Link isn't that bad in this one and he is much stronger than Toon Link.

I haven't tried solo mode yet and haven't even opened my Amiibos yet

I can't compare with the 3DS version but I have to agree on the trolling... even in multiplayer it's always fun to own everyone and then a hammer spawns next to my GF's and she kicks everyone out
post #10 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post
I think I need a bigger TV.... the 8 player stages it's so hard to see the action!
We've had a kind of Smash Brothers "breaking in" party at a friend's flat yesterday, who has set up a projector and gets an image diagonal of about 3m in his living room. Depending on the stage, it was still crowded as hell and you were often wondering where exactly your character is in all the mayhem. ^^
post #11 of 16 Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I only have the 3DS one, but yeah, the tiny screens on that are a huge detriment for this game. It's still fun, but it could really use more space.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #12 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyBurns View Post
We've had a kind of Smash Brothers "breaking in" party at a friend's flat yesterday, who has set up a projector and gets an image diagonal of about 3m in his living room. Depending on the stage, it was still crowded as hell and you were often wondering where exactly your character is in all the mayhem. ^^
It sound awesome tho.. even in the mayhem!
post #13 of 16 Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

8-Player Smash mode makes the game feel like a crazy arcade version of a home game, anyone know what I mean? Like it feels like something that just shouldn't be possible on a home console and instead should just be some weird variant you occasionally come across in a high-end arcade.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-31-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Avs'ers I'm usually in the PS4 forum, but I just recently purchased a Wii U along w/ SSB :-) :-) :-) Quick question can you lvl up your amiibo during online play?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceburna View Post
Hey Avs'ers I'm usually in the PS4 forum, but I just recently purchased a Wii U along w/ SSB :-) :-) :-) Quick question can you lvl up your amiibo during online play?
I don't think you can, that would be the same as a computer playing with you online. Last I tried, it swiped the amiibo and it didn't take.
post #16 of 16 Unread Today, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The game is alright, not my favorite but i liked it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page