SD CRT or HD CRT for Wii? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SD CRT or HD CRT for Wii?

I use my Wii to play Wii games, GCN games and N64 games. For the best picture quality and a lag free experience, should I play my Wii on a 4:3 SD CRT via component, or a 16:9 HD CRT via component?

Also, I heard that the Wii does not have true widescreen. Only anamorphic widescreen. So does this mean picture quality is sharper in 4:3? Is it worth playing the Wii in 16:9?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Wii outputs a 480P signal, just like DVDs. If you watch DVDs in widescreen, the Wii widescreen experience will be exactly the same. For all intents and purposes, the Wii is “true widescreen.”
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraLight View Post
For the best picture quality and a lag free experience, should I play my Wii on a 4:3 SD CRT via component, or a 16:9 HD CRT via component?
It depends on your HD CRT.

It's my understanding that much like more modern HD displays, they must scale anything that doesn't conform to their native resolution. So there's going to be some lag there by default since processing isn't instantaneous. It's up to you to determine if it's perceptible and going to be an issue. Same with picture quality since whenever processing must go on to the signal being input to the display, it's a potential opportunity for the tv to harm the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraLight View Post
So does this mean picture quality is sharper in 4:3? Is it worth playing the Wii in 16:9?
Yes, it does mean that the picture will be sharper while playing in 4:3.

But while you'll occasionally see someone extolling the benefits of playing anamorphic widescreen enabled Wii releases in 4:3 because of this, for the vast majority of people, the pq difference is pretty minimal and not at all worth giving up a widescreen presentation for.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; Yesterday at 04:22 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
It depends on your HD CRT.

It's my understanding that much like more modern HD displays, they must scale anything that doesn't conform to their native resolution. So there's going to be some lag there by default since processing isn't instantaneous. It's up to you to determine if it's perceptible and going to be an issue. Same with picture quality since whenever processing must go on to the signal being input to the display, it's a potential opportunity for the tv to harm the picture.

Yes, it does mean that the picture will be sharper while playing in 4:3.

But while you'll occasionally see someone extolling the benefits of playing anamorphic widescreen enabled Wii releases in 4:3 because of this, for the vast majority of people, the pq difference is pretty minimal and not at all worth giving up a widescreen presentation for.
The Sony KD34XBR960, a 16x9 HD CRT which supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid that I'm not aware of the specific performance of that model, although I suspect if you go digging and the archives at this forum go back far enough, you may be able to judge how it handles anamorphic 480p material from past threads here.

I'm assuming you're considering picking this set up 2nd hand and are wondering if it's worth it for Wii gaming, so hopefully that helps you make some determinations.

It's a nice tv though, so if it's in good working order and seems to have been well cared for, the price is right, and your back and the backs of your friends are up to it, I doubt you'll be disappointed if you purchase it.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Isn't the WII in 480I, not 480p? I haven't ran into any problems with games at 4:3 on a HD screen. Especially since all of the 4:3 consoles can be emulated on a computer, and you can use anti aliasing to smooth edges and get a better experience than the console itself.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

480p was far from uncommon even on the GameCube (Most 1st party GCN releases supported it). So the Wii certainly also does.

Most quality Wii releases supported 480p. Even the entirety of the Virtual Console supported 480p (Albeit, via upscaling in the latter case with the exception of N64 downloads that actually rendered at this higher than original resolution).

Only a small fraction of games worth anyone's time on the Wii were 480i, including Madworld from Sega and the Resident Evil Archives releases from Capcom, for some of the notable exceptions.

I suspect it was more common with shovelware releases and children's games. Mini Desktop Racing is the one that immediately leaps to mind as a prime example of Wii shovelware and sure enough, it's 480i only.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; Today at 03:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page