Nintendo NX - Saving Grace or Hail Mary? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 08-06-2015, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1780
Nintendo NX - Saving Grace or Hail Mary?

Just curious what your thoughts are on the recent NX articles. I have been a Nintendo fan since plugging countless quarters into Donkey Kong back in the early 80s' as a kid. I have owned all of the consoles since the original NES, but I think the Wii U may be the end of the road for me. I have enjoyed Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, and few other titles but the system has overall been a disappointment. The XB1 and PS4 get the most use in the HT room, while the Wii U just sits there.

A recent article on Digital Trends states that a reliable source indicates that the NX will be a hybrid between a handheld and a console. If this is the case, I am definitely out. Maybe I am the minority old crusty gamer, but I just want a solid console, standard controllers i.e Wii U Pro, 1080P, and DTS HD audio would be a big plus. I don't need VR, motion control, tablets, handhelds, etc. I just wish Nintendo would get back to their roots.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Just curious what your thoughts are on the recent NX articles. I have been a Nintendo fan since plugging countless quarters into Donkey Kong back in the early 80s' as a kid. I have owned all of the consoles since the original NES, but I think the Wii U may be the end of the road for me. I have enjoyed Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, and few other titles but the system has overall been a disappointment. The XB1 and PS4 get the most use in the HT room, while the Wii U just sits there.

A recent article on Digital Trends states that a reliable source indicates that the NX will be a hybrid between a handheld and a console. If this is the case, I am definitely out. Maybe I am the minority old crusty gamer, but I just want a solid console, standard controllers i.e Wii U Pro, 1080P, and DTS HD audio would be a big plus. I don't need VR, motion control, tablets, handhelds, etc. I just wish Nintendo would get back to their roots.

Thoughts?
It's going to be a tough sell, sadly. Regardless of what the technology inside can do.

I'm actually a pretty big supporter of the "handheld-is-the-console" idea, but I know that puts me squarely in the minority vs. most of the game buying population. I like portability and I like to have the full console experience, and I think technology is getting pretty close to being able to combine that in some fashion very soon, and that sounds like just the kind of gimmick that Nintendo would embrace. I mean, I don't personally care if the NX supports16xAA (Ninty needs to adopt SOME AA, tho) and runs locked at 60FPS in 1800p... because I doubt that's not going to make my Ninty games better per se. Although I'd love to see a large closing of the graphical gap with Sony and MS, I can't imagine a first party Nintendo game where supersampling is going to be the tipping point that makes people run out to buy the new system. But a console not already outdated at launch would be a welcome change!

And if we have to be honest I think we all know that, when we finally see the specs, the NX won't be even be as powerful as the PS4. They won't go from 0-60 here, that's not in their DNA, and they don't have NEAR the internal resources to develop games for that kind of a system- which is the real issue for Nintendo right now, which the NX is unlikely to fix: Ninty has almost no 3rd party support, and it's not coming back any time soon.

Let's say NX is just a unified platform, ala iOS, and it's supported by a new handheld as well as a new console, and both of those are top-of-the-line tech, like, can play super awesome Crysis 3 level stuff. Dropping a new high-powered system into the current ecosystem mid-generation is suicide: with no install base, what developer will want to put the required resources into developing games for Day 1 or early-lifecycle release?

The publishers that have essentially left Ninty to beg for their year old ports won't bother to jump on board to early, they're making plenty of money from existing platforms that already have a massive audience. Things were different in the GCN/PS2 era, but that changed pretty rapidly as Ninty got all fat and happy with the Wii's success and stopped returning people's calls. By 2009 all but the big developers and shovelware houses had shrugged their shoulders and moved on to greener pastures.

The real hardcore gamers, who have passed on the Wii U and don't regret it, are gonna be a hard sell, too. Fans of shooters, MMORPGs, racing, etc are already getting their jollies on PS4 & XBONE, having a new Nintendo console that can play what they already have -but marginally better- isn't going to drive a lot of purchase. Plus they love online, trophy hunting, twitch/youtube streaming, chat... all things that Nintendo has NO idea how to do yet, let alone try to create a better experience that what's already out there. Miiverse HD ain't it.

Indies might adopt earlier, but they rarely require the kinds of tech that giant AAA games require... and... no, no, now I'm just making myself sick. I gotta stop thinking about this and go play SMW. Nintendo never lost the race when I turn on my SNES!!
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-06-2015, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1780
^^^

Excellent post and great points. This is the kind of discussion I was hoping for. I love gaming and have been a long time Nintendo fan. However, they have some rabid fanboys that take any negativity as an attack instead of positive discussion.

To add to your comments, Nintendo could go Android OS on the NX. This would give them the outlet to get their licensed content out into the masses and give them instant access to 3rd party devs. That would be a bold but smart move for them.
post #4 of 40 Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
^^^

Excellent post and great points. This is the kind of discussion I was hoping for. I love gaming and have been a long time Nintendo fan. However, they have some rabid fanboys that take any negativity as an attack instead of positive discussion.

To add to your comments, Nintendo could go Android OS on the NX. This would give them the outlet to get their licensed content out into the masses and give them instant access to 3rd party devs. That would be a bold but smart move for them.
I just don't see Nintendo going Android, not even as a baseline for the OS with a locked-down fork as the front end... the ability and resolve of really good coders to hack through that is too tempting, I can't imagine Ninty would take the risk. I don't think it's a terrible idea, I mean anything they can do to make it easier to produce or port games for Nintendo platforms is a welcome development, but Android is all TOO well-known territory. They gotta save a little something for the honeymoon, so to speak

Not to say it's not a good idea in some respects, because it is... but Nintendo just isn't known for taking the new and easy path. For better of worse!
post #5 of 40 Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am personally hoping that Nintendo makes the "handheld is a console" as it will mean that all of their games are on one console. They tend to release games for one console forgetting about the other for awhile, then vice versa. Hopefully, with the "handheld is a console" idea, they can release the same amount of games, but for one system.

As for competing hardware, they tried that with the N64 and GC, then they saw what happened with the Wii, so they think that is their answer. I would like more 3rd party ports, which would require similar hardware as Sony and MS; but looking at the past 2 generations of games that I have finished, 80% have been Nintendo. I rarely touched my 360 or PS3, so decided to just stick with Nintendo this generation.....at least I have the virtual console to play. I think in my old age (early 30s), I'd prefer jumping on mushroom men.

Despite what Nintendo does with the NX, I really hope they keep releasing local multiplayer games.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-18-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 209
The development kits have been sent out with an anticipated 2016 release of the NX. A developer has also reported that the console will use a current generation processor, presumed to be an i7 Skylake processor and a top tier gpu. I would hope that would mean near a 970 or 980 ti.

It would be nice to see a console easily hit 60 fps and maybe even possibly handle 1440p. Tired of the so called state of the art consoles today that can't even hit 1080p 60 fps.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/10/nintend...than-ps4-xbox/

Last edited by G-Rex; 10-18-2015 at 06:01 PM.
post #7 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 807
All great points but if they drop a cost competitive system with similar performance to the One and 4 and launch it alongside a new Zelda title (that doesn't use any funky motion controls)-- I'm all in. Like, all the way in. And I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the gamecube and before that the SNES!

The Wii U was a disaster. No one was sure what it was and even Nintendo seemed unsure of what it should be. I mean, how many controllers could you get for the thing? Wiimotes, tablets AND traditional gamepads? To add insult to injury they screwed the pooch on the tablet controller-- it was backwards: the computing needed to be in the tablet not the hunk of plastic connected to the TV. Combine all that confusion with ZERO killer apps and it's no wonder it will go down as their worst selling home console (outside the Virtual Boy of course).

Despite all that there is still a way forward for Nintendo. Original IP from the company continues to see massive success and the very name Nintendo sparks so much nostalgia that Analogue Interactive has found a thriving business selling reproduction NES' for over $500 a pop! Nevermind the niche industry of companies passing off cheap $20 chinese-made famiclones!

The only thing keeping Nintendo from being succesful is Nintendo being Nintendo. I also think it's a great time to strike: fatigue is high with the other two consoles and the fact that the biggest games for either of them are compilations of games released last generation isn't lost on most.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #8 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 209
With the underpowered current consoles, I am now looking at PC gaming rigs. However, if the NX comes in with considerably more horsepower than the other consoles, and they come out with a killer controller, maybe similar to the Game Cube, then I am in.
post #9 of 40 Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

After listening to the latest Radio Free Nintendo podcast discussion on the NX, and reading the WSJ article about the NX dev kits being distributed, I'm even more certain about the NX being a handheld that interfaces with some kind of a console unit... I've been hoping for that for some time. It seems positive for the industry, certainly very Japanese, and something I'd expect from Ninty. My updated wild speculations on the NX (NONE of these are fact, only my ruminations):

1. Both handheld and console are in the box day 1 - because the portable is also the primary controller for the console. Handhelds will be sold separately if you only want one of those, or for adding a additional players
  2. Handheld design is more similar to the Vita or WiiU gamepad than 3DS. Singe screen, with dual touch, but probably capable of displaying faux 'split screen' look for DS emulation
  3. Cross play for every game; buy any game and it plays on either system
  4. Games will be cart based. I'm thinking the carts will go into the portable and then stream to the console. Why? Because of my next crazy idea...
  5. Console doesn't play any NX carts standalone, the handheld is necessary to play anything except eShop games (via a WiiU Pro controller?). The console should have the ability download/upres/otherwise enhance games, like provide better textures, lighting, level content, enemies on scren, etc.
  6. It's possible they might make it more akin to Steam or Gaikai where games are moved to and from the base unit via the internet, but I'm not assuming that's the case since it seems un-Nintendo like to make an internet connection required to play on their console
  7. Will NOT support twitch, YouTube, etc. We know that DeNA have streaming tech (Mirrativ) that is supposed to mirror your phone to the world, my thought is that program is simply a test run for the NX streaming system
  8. Unified account system for games on phones and NX. This one's a no brainer, but I'm hoping they'll employ a single login and profile for users, once you create an account all your purchases, scores, trophies and whotnot will be shared via your profile. While mobile games and NX games will be totally unique to each platform, I'd bet you can buy games from the eShop via the phone, too. They'll start downloading to your unit as soon as you have a connection
  9. Based on the way it's phrased in the article, I'd guess the "industry leading chips" doesn't mean "industry leading power", probably better than the latest Galaxy phones or something, but in order to have a shot at reasonable battery life and keep the thing from overheating they'll be downclocked significantly.
  10. I'd bet we see DS, GBA and 3DS BC via the eShop. WiiU... maybe, but digital only. Wii/GCN? Not likely, maybe for specific titles but definitely no broad support.
  11. Wiimotes won't be supported Goodnight, sweet prince...
post #10 of 40 Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 379
IMO Nintendo needs to get the best price it can from Apple and exit the business while its library has huge value for a company like that. The invisible thread running between all that has been said here, is really connective only to a company like Apple. That can package Nintendo as an Apple exclusive APP...buttress it with all kind of future forward peripherals and online mojo. And swell its market bigger than any console out there. Instantly a great IP for Apple. And a massive life raft for Nintendo. JMHO.
post #11 of 40 Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
IMO Nintendo needs to get the best price it can from Apple and exit the business while its library has huge value for a company like that. The invisible thread running between all that has been said here, is really connective only to a company like Apple. That can package Nintendo as an Apple exclusive APP...buttress it with all kind of future forward peripherals and online mojo. And swell its market bigger than any console out there. Instantly a great IP for Apple. And a massive life raft for Nintendo. JMHO.
The day Apple acquires Nintendo is the day I sell everything Nintendo I own and never buy again. I cannot stand Apple's business model, it's price gouging, stupidly closed eco-system and closed OS, or it's over-inflated ego. This will be the death of Nintendo for me.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #12 of 40 Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
The day Apple acquires Nintendo is the day I sell everything Nintendo I own and never buy again. I cannot stand Apple's business model, it's price gouging, stupidly closed eco-system and closed OS, or it's over-inflated ego. This will be the death of Nintendo for me.
I don't like them either Eye. I don't own anything Apple. Just because of that closed gouge system you mentioned. But in many ways, the console crowd are guilty of doing the exact same thing. Including Nintendo. I'm just suggesting Nintendo needs a super octane boost from somewhere. And Apple & Nintendo seem most wedded to the idea of keeping their ecosystems totally closed. Microsoft is on the fast tract to full open with Windows. We could see a similar convergence downline between Valve/Linux and Sony. Hence my speculation about Nintendo. I think Apple still remain the most adopted PC platform in primary schools (heart of Nintendo demographic). But I do feel your disdain for them.
post #13 of 40 Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Tell us how you really feel.

I've thought about this many times. It feels like Apple's approach to consumer electronics runs parallel to Nintendo's approach to the video game market. Both emphasize the user interface/experience over the raw capabilities of the hardware itself. Both approach the consumer from the perspective that the consumer doesn't really know what they want (mostly true). And both are fiendishly possessive of their product. I don't think it will ever happen-- but it would turn the industry on it's head if it did.

I still want Nintendo to simplify. Make a game system first and foremost and forget about everything else. When PS2/PS3 could play DVDs/Blurays or when 360 first offered Netflix it was a coup for emerging industries. Now 'living room' features are everywhere and the sun is setting on the disc market-- I don't need my console to run my HT or play movies or stream music I need it to play games. And hopefully be powerful enough to at least offer split screen... Looking at you XB1.
barrelbelly and techtre2003 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #14 of 40 Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Tell us how you really feel.

I've thought about this many times. It feels like Apple's approach to consumer electronics runs parallel to Nintendo's approach to the video game market. Both emphasize the user interface/experience over the raw capabilities of the hardware itself. Both approach the consumer from the perspective that the consumer doesn't really know what they want (mostly true). And both are fiendishly possessive of their product. I don't think it will ever happen-- but it would turn the industry on it's head if it did.

I still want Nintendo to simplify. Make a game system first and foremost and forget about everything else. When PS2/PS3 could play DVDs/Blurays or when 360 first offered Netflix it was a coup for emerging industries. Now 'living room' features are everywhere and the sun is setting on the disc market-- I don't need my console to run my HT or play movies or stream music I need it to play games. And hopefully be powerful enough to at least offer split screen... Looking at you XB1.
And only one really happily gouges the consumer market with the pricing :P Can't blame them though when idiots happily pay it without question. At least Nintendo generally prices well.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
post #15 of 40 Old 11-25-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I think Nintendo should have purchased a smartphone company a number of years back. You know how Microsoft bought Nokia ?

Nintendo should have bought Nokia. They should have created a cool smart phone that had a button that you would hit on it, and a little d-pad with two buttons would slide out of the bottom. Things could have been vastly different for Nintendo had they done this, but now I honestly think it's too late for them. I'm still going to be interested in whatever they announce, but I just don't see them ever having the level of success that they enjoyed in the past.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens though.
post #16 of 40 Old 11-25-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I think Nintendo should have purchased a smartphone company a number of years back. You know how Microsoft bought Nokia ?

Nintendo should have bought Nokia. They should have created a cool smart phone that had a button that you would hit on it, and a little d-pad with two buttons would slide out of the bottom. Things could have been vastly different for Nintendo had they done this, but now I honestly think it's too late for them. I'm still going to be interested in whatever they announce, but I just don't see them ever having the level of success that they enjoyed in the past.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens though.
Even with Nintendo at the helm, it would have flopped. Nintendo has the handheld market already, and they water it down enough. Sony tried the gaming phone with the Xperia, failed. Nokia tried way back with the N-Gage, failed. There's a reason that phones built around gaming haven't worked. They're unnecessary. Most people already have a phone. We don't need a combo device that's only half good at both things.

post #17 of 40 Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even with Nintendo at the helm, it would have flopped. Nintendo has the handheld market already, and they water it down enough. Sony tried the gaming phone with the Xperia, failed. Nokia tried way back with the N-Gage, failed. There's a reason that phones built around gaming haven't worked. They're unnecessary. Most people already have a phone. We don't need a combo device that's only half good at both things.
Well, I'm talking about years and years ago they needed to do this. Obviously now, that wouldn't work, but a long enough time back, they might have be able to do something, The thing about the Sony Xperia, how many people even knew that thing existed ? N-Gage was a long, long time ago, before smartphones could actually play decent games.

If Nintendo and Nokia worked together to make a cool phone that would play all the exclusive Nintendo games, and this was like 6 or 7 years ago, it might have been halfway decent. Remember, it would have been something they could have sold in the Japanese market as well. It wouldn't threaten Apple or Samsung or anything like that, but it could have had a small niche in the USA and Europe. but sold pretty well in Asia.
post #18 of 40 Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The more I think about this subject, the more I think Nintendo needs to get out of the standalone console business ASAP. Right now they are neither fish nor fowl. In a market of carnivorous meat eaters. IMO they need to just strike a strategic alliance with 2 companies. Valve and Apple. Let them make the backward compatible hardware emulators for all of their games. The core Nintendo company business model could then focus 100% of its attention on innovative controller design, handheld devices & tablets, VR integration with Valve/Apple/Oculus Rift. And uinimpeded development & expansion of usage access to its 1st party games. Including VR remakes of its classics in VR (for its own, Steam & Apple's mobile markets). Valve could integrate a Nintendo Storefront on Steam that kids/parents would swarm too like locusts. And also integrate the Nintendo emulator into SteamBox/SteamOS design with Valve's SteamBox partners. Thus allowing Nintendo to vamoose out of the lost leader console HW market...while adding great value to all partners. A major benefit for Nintendo would also be future proofing its Hardware via SteamBox & Apple integration.

IMO Nintendo could get twice as big in a forward integration sharing strategy with laser focused strategic alliances, with very select companies, that have commonwealth interests. I'd most definitely spec my main gaming rig with capability to dual Boot SteamOS to fully access the Steam/Nintendo Storefront! Even better if Steam could make it accessible to its full market in Windows 10 PC too. But that would be very tricky IMO. Because of potential bleed over to Xbox. And likely would be a deal breaker for Nintendo.
post #19 of 40 Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
One thing I would say for Nintendo that is 100% correct is to never underestimate them. Sure, they had their list of failures along with the list of successes.
I remember the articles and the press when the Wii debuted. Many already were calling it a failure from the start, it won’t sell, it’s completely under power vs PS3/360, its controllers are a gimmick that won’t last, etc. Pretty much it was the death of Nintendo. And boy, where they all wrong and the Wii still the highest seller console for the 7h generation.
Sure, they tried to copy the same success with the Wii U and failed miserably but I am confident they will come back.
Now going back to the NX. My thoughts are:
· It won’t be on par with the current generation or even future generation hardware. We know that Nintendo hasn’t developed a powerful console since back the N64 days (which at the time was the most powerful console with true 3D polygon rendering). They don’t develop powerful hardware but it should be easily to develop for and economical vs the current generation.
· Is a hybrid of a mobile and console. Who knows? Maybe this is the way of the future. We were wrong about Nintendo when they introduce the Wii controllers and the dual display on the Nintendo DS an even the 3D aspect and boy, they are still selling and they sure hit the mark and push another way we look at gaming.
· I hope, I just hope they get back 3rd party support. We need Sony/Microsoft games over with the Nintendo console. With only first party support, they won’t survive for long unless they get other developers on board.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-14-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 59
still on the fence about this. I want it to be good so that it can give Console gaming some healthy competition again...
post #21 of 40 Old 03-21-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Havent owned a Nintendo product since Gamecube, but I would like to see where this goes....

May have to clear out some rack space....
post #22 of 40 Old 03-23-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 254
It's looking like that earlier leaked photo of the new NX controller was real.

Here's the newest leaked photos.

This is rumoured to be from a developer kit, so the final design could be different. I'm questioning the lack of face buttons. If this is real and not some elaborate hoax, I hope my Wii U Pro controllers work with the NX.
post #23 of 40 Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Supposedly the top of it has two scroll wheels like a mouse scroll wheel.

I saw the original pictures, and thought it was pretty much confirmed as a fake, but then these pictures now show up, and it's starting to look like it might not actually be fake. This might be the real thing.

I don't know man... I don't like the idea of "virtual" buttons on a touch screen. I don't like that idea at all. The thumbpads are really far apart too. It's truly a bizarre shape. Doesn't look very ergonomic at all. Nintendo has to be really pissed that all of this has leaked. Normally Nintendo runs a super tight ship..
DaverJ and Molon_Labe like this.
post #24 of 40 Old 03-25-2016, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #25 of 40 Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-co...017-1773312629

Quote:
Nintendo just announced that the Nintendo NX will be out in March 2017. That release window is global.

Via a financial release, Nintendo states, “For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed ‘NX’ with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.”

In a tweet, the company pointed out that “NX” is still only the console’s codename.

Respected Japanese paper Nikkei asked Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima what kind of game machine the NX was. “At this current stage, I’m not able to say,” Kimishima replied. “However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

When the Nikkei asked Kimishima what the likelihood that Wii U production would end, the Nintendo president replied, “Since we are making a big shift to the NX, there is that possibility (in the future).” Note that the original Japanese text in the Nikkei article are in parenthesis.

Oddly, Nintendo apparently will not be showing the still unrevealed NX platform at this year’s E3, according to Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki, who was at today’s Nintendo financial briefing in Osaka.

The new Zelda game, originally announced for 2015, is now also scheduled for 2017. The title is slated for both the Wii U and the NX.
post #26 of 40 Old 05-17-2016, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I hope next handled console, whatever it is, comes with good screen.

I love nintendo games and handled consoles and its awfull to play at 800x600 at 2016
post #27 of 40 Old 05-17-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody actually believe the system will be out in March 2017 in the USA ?

Now, we don't know what NX actually is, but I will say this, many different times companies have "said" they were going to release a home console in the Spring, but it's really never happened. Go back and check the historical facts. The GameCube, Wii and Wii U were all launched in November, if I'm not mistaken. The Nintendo 64 was super late September 1996. The SNES was late August. Actually, the SNES is the earliest in the year that Nintendo has ever released a "home" console in the USA.

I've been trying to think about a home console that released in the USA as early as March in the history of video gaming, and I'm actually drawing a blank. August is normally the earliest month for a home console in the USA. Most happen in the Fall.

So either:

A. The NX is not a home console like we know it....

B. It's not actually launching in March, (we will hear late this year it's been delayed till November 2017)

C. It is launching in March but it's a portable.
post #28 of 40 Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I believe them since I don't see why they'd say otherwise.

We've had handheld releases during that period. Nintendo never said that the NX was a console or that if there was going to be both a console and a handheld version, which one or if both releases in March.

The 3DS and Wii U are dying so they're going to want to get this out as soon as possible. Obviously they missed their Christmas window, but I don't see why it matters. The launch will sell well in March and it gives time for Nintendo to be ready for Christmas with all the passionate early adapters already taken care of.

And if you expand your launch criteria to worldwide, it's much easier to locate notable console launches in this time frame with the PS2's Japanese launch the most notable.

At the same time, they missed a November launch this year which appears to have been their initial goal. So I don't think that it's out of the question that things could slip a bit further into 2017 when Nintendo unveils it later this year.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 05-18-2016 at 02:34 AM.
post #29 of 40 Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I believe them since I don't see why they'd say otherwise.

Let's pretend for a moment that Nintendo knows full well that they aren't launching a home console this March. Why would they say they are launching in March ? For the same reason so many other companies stretch the truth. Because when you hear that the new console is coming in March you think.... "Hmm... March 2017, that's not too long from now. I mean it sucks to have to wait, but that's not too bad... I can wait till next Spring".

On the other hand if they came right out and said November 2017, many people would be like...

"WTF November 2017! This sucks, no way I'm waiting that long. Maybe I'll buy the PS4 Neo or Xbox 1.5 or maybe I'll build a gaming PC or who knows what."

So basically, the strategy is to delay the bad news as long as humanly possible and string along your audience... I'm not saying that this is what Nintendo is actually doing right now, but if you look at their history in the 90's, they did this quite often. I think they announced the "Ultra 64" was coming in the Spring two different times.
post #30 of 40 Old 05-20-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I don't agree.

Why say anything and encourage late adapters to avoid buying a 3DS/Wii U or upgrading to a New 3DS in 2016 because they've been misled to believe that Nintendo's next-gen line is well under a year away, when they're secretly planning for a launch that's more like 18 months away.

I don't see what they've gained. Not to mention that this information was unveiled in a financial report and analysts aren't going to take kindly to being misled and Nintendo's stock price is going to feel it when the true release date is announced for much later on.

Heck, if the truth did come out about their strategy, it very well might be breaking the law over there. I know that the US Securities and Exchange Commission doesn't take too kindly to deliberate misrepresentation on official filings.

Nintendo's biggest hurdle to turning things around is Nintendo themselves. Deceit isn't the way to go to fight the Sony/Microsoft juggernaut or regain lost fans, so if they are thinking along these lines, I'd say that they're off to a bad start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo