RUMOR!! MS/Nintendo to join??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rumor came out because some developers are wondering why the Revolution's supposed specs are very very similiar to the 360

Interesting idea and it could help MS in Japan.

Well we will find out this week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sounds like BS.

While each company is much stronger in their respective markets, I see no way how it could work.
post #3 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 04:50 PM

It would be interesting. I've always wondered about the name association between the two consoles:

Revolution and 360. What a way to completely take a hold of the console market.

I can't imagine this coming true though.
post #4 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

File this under "Things that will never happen."
post #5 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 05:21 PM

In some ways I wish it would happen because someone needs to topple Sony BUT I don't know if I necessarily want it to be Microsoft. But it would be fitting for Nintendo to work with someone to take Sony down a notch.
post #6 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
In some ways I wish it would happen because someone needs to topple Sony BUT I don't know if I necessarily want it to be Microsoft. But it would be fitting for Nintendo to work with someone to take Sony down a notch.
A collaboration between Apple and Nintendo is much more fitting in terms of taking on MS and Sony. Apple could work with Nintendo to design an ipod/gameboy and also work with Nintendo on designing a sleeker looking console. They could also have an itunes service, but with old NES games instead where players can download all sorts of old games on their gamepods or iboys or whatever they might call it. I think it would be a great collaboration.

MS and Nintendo joining up will never happen. Similar comparisons in console names could be made with gameCUBE and xBOX. In case people don't realize this, Nintendo is a very profitable company. They have 7 billion just in cash sitting in a bank. While their console marketshare is definitely down, they're still managing to post a profit every quarter. Until they start to lose serious amounts of money, they won't be teaming up with their competitors anytime soon.
post #7 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

I think nintendo's is in trouble...those profits are about to be halved. They were making a killing off the handheld market monopoly they had...the monopoly is over...expect to see those profits dwindle quarter by quarter starting ...now.

Since PSP has hit the market....dude I've heard nothing about gameboy advanced or the DS...and its going to get worse...this is funny cause I think its going to happen EXACTLY how it happen when nintendo lost its market share to sony the first time.

..when was that? in my honest opinion it was when FF7 hit the market ..and showed off what cartridges couldn't do and the game wowed the world.

It's about to happen all over again with PSP...when the FF7 PSP game hits the market....if you listen very closely...your going to hear nintendo lose its market dominance in that business too.

I agree...you won't see them team up with competitors when this happens...company is too prideful and cocky for that.
post #8 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo is now the Mac of the gaming world. Good hardware and a solid machine, but not nearly the industry leader they once were. They aren't going anywhere. My hope would be that they follow the Sega route and go software only at some point down the line.
post #9 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellraiser

Since PSP has hit the market....dude I've heard nothing about gameboy advanced or the DS...and its going to get worse...this is funny cause I think its going to happen EXACTLY how it happen when nintendo lost its market share to sony the first time.

[/b]
You must not be reading much because the DS is outselling the PSP in Japan like crazy. You're absolutely right that the PSP is definitely giving Nintendo some much needed competition. So far the DS seems to be holding its own quite well. E3 will be a good indication of what we can expect from both handhelds.

The fact still remains that Nintendo is a very big and very profitable company. Until that changes, they will continue to be a major player in the gaming market.
post #10 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Japan Japan Japan...blah... they have to be getting killed here in the usa...I don't know anyone with a DS...Every other person I know has a PSP...and half of those people aren't even serious gamers.

...when FF7 comes...PSP will dominate over there too. It's just a matter of time and you know it.

Very big and very profitable for now...now? Never argued the "now" part...but the future doesn't look good.
post #11 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
as much as i like nintendo, they are done after this round of next gen.

If something like this were to happen, it'd be in a couple of years, when the revolution becomes dreamcast 2. Either they merge after this round, or they just stick to making 3rd party games.

Nintendo's motto: Gaming may have changed, but we haven't.
post #12 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Well, given the FACT that Nintendo is a PROFITABLE multi-BILLION dollar company that has been in business for more than 20 years, you'll forgive me if I take your concerns with a grain of salt and leave game development to the experts.
post #13 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

...how long has GM been in business;) Multibillion dollar businesses can go down....and if it weren't for Kirk Kerkorian that company would be filing bankruptcy right now.

IF revenues start decreasing...and the cash flow starts to to be a fraction of what it was...this 20 year Profitable/multibillion dollar company could find itself in serious trouble.

I never said this company is going bankrupt by the way...but the point is this...Nintendo has screwed up TWICE in this console arena and the handheld market was there to bail them out...what happens when handhelds aren't there to bail them out anymore when sony splits that that market as well?

Quote:
you'll forgive me if I take your concerns with a grain of salt and leave game development to the experts.

Nintendo hasn't been an expert in the gaming industry for a while now...if they were...they never would have lost their dominate position...and thats the problem....they need to bring some gaming industry experts into that company else they will be the next sega.
post #14 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brisal73
Rumor
I stopped reading there.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #15 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

thats what I should have done:D lol
post #16 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 114
How come anytime someone claims the Gamecube is losing money, fanboys jump in and rant about how much money the Gameboy makes them. Everytime that happens I scratch my head and try to remember where the original poster talked about handhelds.
post #17 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nothru22
How come anytime someone claims the Gamecube is losing money, fanboys jump in and rant about how much money the Gameboy makes them. Everytime that happens I scratch my head and try to remember where the original poster talked about handhelds.
I don't think anyone said that. All that was said was Nintendo is profitable. Nintendo includes Gameboy, Gamecube, DS, Pokemon, etc.
post #18 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 09:24 PM

Nintendo may be profitable NOW or they may have been more profitable in the past but that's a moot point really.

Nintendo created the current situation we have right now with Sony being number 1 yet the have the most inferior system & ideas.

Nintendo needs to look ahead & learn from the losses & mistakes of other companies and realize that the PSP and PS3 and box 360 are going to take a rather large chunk out of Mario's ass.
post #19 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...when FF7 comes...PSP will dominate over there too. It's just a matter of time and you know it.
What is this FF7 PSP game you keep mentioning? Is there something rumored for E3? If you're talking about Advent Children it's not a game it's a movie (DVD and PSP). The other FF7 property I'm aware of are spin offs for PS2.
post #20 of 44 Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Nintendo may be profitable NOW or they may have been more profitable in the past but that's a moot point really.

Nintendo created the current situation we have right now with Sony being number 1 yet the have the most inferior system & ideas.

Nintendo needs to look ahead & learn from the losses & mistakes of other companies and realize that the PSP and PS3 and box 360 are going to take a rather large chunk out of Mario's ass.
I agree Nintendo definitely needs to keep an eye on what is coming. They definitely need to learn from some of the many mistakes they have made in the past and move forward. They definitely have to keep an eye on the PSP and come up with a good strategy to combat it. Let's face it, the DS was never meant to go against the PSP. Its Nintendo's Gameboy successor that will truly be the rival of the PSP, so Nintendo better have something good planned for it.

Nevertheless, I don't think the fact that Nintendo is now a profitable company should be a moot point. Its a very important point. First off, it gives little credence to these "Nintendo is teh Doomed" threads. Second, it means Nintendo is still in an excellent position to take their profits and invest them in what will hopefully be some new and better games/systems to come out in the future.
post #21 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 12:46 AM

I have my money on xbox360,nintendo takes too many risks in trying new technology.Nintendo DS etc.

Nintendo is referred to around here as a kiddy system anyway, unless you dig mario and pokemon;)
post #22 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 01:36 AM

I could never see a partnership but i could see a hostile takeover. I remember ms tried to buyout nintendo but the head of the board (now retired) didn't want to but the stockholders were willing to sell. Whenever that dude goes nuts or dies msft will buy them out.
post #23 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
I agree Nintendo definitely needs to keep an eye on what is coming. They definitely need to learn from some of the many mistakes they have made in the past and move forward. They definitely have to keep an eye on the PSP and come up with a good strategy to combat it. Let's face it, the DS was never meant to go against the PSP. Its Nintendo's Gameboy successor that will truly be the rival of the PSP, so Nintendo better have something good planned for it.

Nevertheless, I don't think the fact that Nintendo is now a profitable company should be a moot point. Its a very important point. First off, it gives little credence to these "Nintendo is teh Doomed" threads. Second, it means Nintendo is still in an excellent position to take their profits and invest them in what will hopefully be some new and better games/systems to come out in the future.
Of course the DS wasn't meant to compete with the PSP. I don't think Nintendo even seen 'em coming, just like the Playsation debacle.
Nintendo may be profitable, I don't know what their situation is but I do know it's very difficult to have a successful console aso I'm not sure just how profitable the cube is for them BUT Nintendo continues making mistake after mistake with cartridges, hello kitty console designs,lack of connectivity, etc.
I don't think Nintendo is doomed but like Sega, they have been running second or worse in the last 2 or 3 horse races now. I'm sure most of their sustinace comes from handhelds and Pokemon type products and I cannot believe the Gamecube has been a big success for them knowing how tough the console market is.
When I say their profits are a moot point I meant that in the spirit of what I was saying. I'm not overly concerned with how much money they have I just want to see them make some better decisions and I want a game console that truly meets the needs of gamers and evolves with us. I don;t see the Cube doing that and I certainly don't care much for Playstation.

To me, Sony is like the popular brand the masses all purchase like sheep and we got stuck with inferior hardware because they were in a hurry to kick Sega's ass. I would like to see a team up to knowck them down a peg, so that is why to me, the profits are a moot point.
post #24 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAX_POWER_HDryer
I could never see a partnership but i could see a hostile takeover. I remember ms tried to buyout nintendo but the head of the board (now retired) didn't want to but the stockholders were willing to sell. Whenever that dude goes nuts or dies msft will buy them out.
Can you back this up with links?

Never happened!!
post #25 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrocHunter
I have my money on xbox360,nintendo takes too many risks in trying new technology.Nintendo DS etc.

Nintendo is referred to around here as a kiddy system anyway, unless you dig mario and pokemon;)
There is a good chance that MS is going to get their ass handed to them by Sony and Nintendo this generation.

Mark my words.

MS doesn't know what they are doing in this market. So far . . . they have just been lucky. Luck eventually runs out.
post #26 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I'm sure most of their sustinace comes from handhelds and Pokemon type products and I cannot believe the Gamecube has been a big success for them knowing how tough the console market is.
I can say the same thing about MS and Windows. Without Windows, MS wouldn't have been able to sustain the massive losses they incurred with the XBOX. The entire span of the XBOX's life, MS has posted profit from it on only one quarter.

The console market is tough and I too would like to see Sony humbled a bit more. I still think they'll be the market leader next gen, but they won't have the massive lead that they enjoy right now. I also think the console market as a whole will be shrinking next generation.
post #27 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterMe
There is a good chance that MS is going to get their ass handed to them by Sony and Nintendo this generation.

Mark my words.

MS doesn't know what they are doing in this market. So far . . . they have just been lucky. Luck eventually runs out.
Lucky?
post #28 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 09:35 AM
IVO

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark my words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luck runs out does it? I guess Nintendo could vouch for that.

I'll mark your words and file them under "Denial isn't just a river in Egypt".
post #29 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Can you back this up with links?

Never happened!!
It likely did happen.
In the book Opening the Xbox : Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution the author uncovers evidence that Microsoft offered $25 billion for Nintendo in the winter of 1999. The book quotes former Nintendo president of US operations Minoru Arakawa that the deal was, in fact, real.

They met several times but it sounds like Nintendo just wasn't interested in selling. IMO, it's too bad as a team of Nintendo/Microsoft would have been very interesting to watch.
post #30 of 44 Old 05-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is this FF7 PSP game you keep mentioning? Is there something rumored for E3? If you're talking about Advent Children it's not a game it's a movie (DVD and PSP). The other FF7 property I'm aware of are spin offs for PS2.
There is a RPG game coming out for the psp that takes place not many year after the ending of FF7. Its going to use many of the characters from FF7 and I imagine a story that borrows from advent children. I'm sure you'll see something about it at e3.

The ps2 game you are talking about is the vincent spinoff that plays like devil may cry. I'm not talking about advent children here either.
Closed Thread Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page