Closed Thread

post #1 of 278 Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IGN confirmed it in an interview today.

Oh well . . . end of the line for Nintendo and me. I'm not going into the next generation without HD gaming.

I'm jumping tracks . . . should it be Sony or MS?

:)

Jay

Just another monkey throwing coconuts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 278 Old 06-10-2005, 10:04 PM

I hate to say it, but I'm with you! I am seriously disappoint in this choice, just when things were looking good too.

I have to say that I will most likely get an Xbox, but I doubt that I will get it at launch...

Man this sux......
post #3 of 278 Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Jeeze... more and more it seems like Nintendo just doesn't get the American mindset when it comes to gaming. This might sell well to a Japanese culture, but as much as I love Nintendo -- all of my current devices are from them -- I don't know if I'll even bother to pick one of these up. They have officially sunk my enthusiasm for their next-gen console.

What I don't get is why they think that setting a higher resolution on your framebuffer limits creativity. Sure, graphics can be a crutch to distract from lack of creativity, but they are still an enormous part of the gaming experience. I don't want to look at blocky characters!

That sucks. It just... sucks.
post #4 of 278 Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
IGN confirmed it in an interview today.

Oh well . . . end of the line for Nintendo and me. I'm not going into the next generation without HD gaming.

How about both:)

Both will have their exclusive titles to choose from.

And yeah, honestly it was a 50/50 guess if it was going to be HD or not.It's a shame too, shame on you nintendo for not going with the next step in gaming which is HDTV!!!

You might as well just keep your old gamecube i guess.

Since the "revolution" will no longer support High Def resolutions, then i'm curious to see what the hell is soo revolutionary about it.Playing old games that have been out since the early 80's is'nt revolutionary in my book.

This is going to upset a lot of nintendo fanboy's :D
post #5 of 278 Old 06-10-2005, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will it do progressive scan?
post #6 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Not sure, they may not even include a component connection either judging by the IGN excerpt.

No online support either:(
post #7 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
No online support either:(
No online multiplayer support, you mean? They've in no uncertain terms promised online downloads of ancient games.

I can't believe that they won't support multiplayer gaming. They have to agree that it's exclusion was probably the biggest mistake that they made with the Gamecube.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #8 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I either entered this thread too early, or the Nintendo purists are sleeping under their rocks. Where are the Miyamoto groupies? While I am excited about downloading old favorites, this news is pretty sad considering I will own 2 consoles that fully support HD and online multiplayer. As much as nostalgia meakes me want to support Nintendo, it's bonehead decisions like these that remind me why their marketshare is on a steady decline.

Don't think of it as screendoor, it's more like an infinite game of tic tac toe.
post #9 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 03:48 AM

First, it's not an interview..it was an email..seems to be mostly a commentary than anything else. Second...is hd support the end-all be-all that none of you are even considering the revloution (witch has not had anything released in any kind of final specs mind you) if this rumor proves to be true, regardless of anything that will be released a thought at all? Not meant to be a flame but i just don't under stand the mindset here..I don't have hd-anything in my house...it would be nice but i just don't have the money, and i can live without it. Are system specs the olny thing you care about? :confused:
post #10 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Both of course Jay. MS and Sony are going all out to impress with the hardware and games. Heck get all three, the Revoloution will cheap when released and will drop like a rock within a year most likely.

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #11 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatecrime69
First, it's not an interview..it was an email..seems to be mostly a commentary than anything else. Second...is hd support the end-all be-all that none of you are even considering the revloution (witch has not had anything released in any kind of final specs mind you) if this rumor proves to be true, regardless of anything that will be released a thought at all? Not meant to be a flame but i just don't under stand the mindset here..I don't have hd-anything in my house...it would be nice but i just don't have the money, and i can live without it. Are system specs the olny thing you care about? :confused:

I'm with you hatecrime. Certainly not the end-all-be-all. Sure, its slightly disappointing that it doesn't support HD, but chances are games will still be 16:9 and 480p, not to mention I would expect every game then to support 60 fps. If that's the case, it might have been a good sacrifice. Games running at a solid 60 fps in SD might be better than a game running at 30 fps(or less) in HD.

Obviously, I am waiting to hear what is so revolutionary about the console. Nintendo has already stated it will support online multiplayer and game downloads. There are even rumors circling that some of the older games may have been reworked to support online play. Still, I am certain this isn't the revolutionary concept yet. So, its exciting to know that the revolution can do all these things and the "advantage" it is supposed to have hasn't been announced yet. Depending on what it can do and how it will supposedly enhance gaming like no other will decide whether or not I pick it up.

I do find it funny that the "American mindset" is supposedly HD considering less than 20% of the homes in America have an HDTV. I personally think the American mindset is cheap cheap cheap.
post #12 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I would recommend getting both a PS3 and X-box 360 as well.

Nintendo has done some pretty stupid things before but this decision is about equal to their past decision to stick with cartridges for the Nintendo 64. It probably won't kill them but they are going to end up regretting it later. I know they wanted to aim for a smaller console size for their next console but in my opinion they gave up to much to get it.
post #13 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
I would recommend getting both a PS3 and X-box 360 as well.

Nintendo has done some pretty stupid things before but this decision is about equal to their past decision to stick with cartridges for the Nintendo 64. It probably won't kill them but they are going to end up regretting it later. I know they wanted to aim for a smaller console size for their next console but in my opinion they gave up to much to get it.
I don't think it has as much to do with the size as the extra expense. HD chipsets and such are not huge, however, they can get pricey. Nintendo's goal is to make a cheap, sophisticated console IMO. If most consumers have SDTVs and the games look just in good in SD as they do with the 360 and PS3, I don't see the lack of HDTV support really mattering much. However, its the bad press and the lack of having buzz words like HDTV that could hurt them more with this.
post #14 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 07:44 AM

I think we have to move foward and go with the next step in gaming which is HDTV.It's a really smart decision if you ask me.I'm just not interested in the revolution now after this sad news.

HDTV is the new thing, and i'm glad sony and microsoft are doing everything they can to get people into it.

And for those who say HDTV is'nmt soo great, i dare you to see it in your home properly calibrated with good lighting conditions.I can guarantee you will not go back to SD tv after seeing the clarity of HDTV.

By not supporting HD, i think nintendo took a step backwards and shot itself in the foot in the long run.Also just from judgeing how powerful the hardware will be for xbox360 and PS3 framerate should'nt be a problem.I would'nt be surprised if all the games ran at a locked 60fps.

The hardware is powerful enough to easily do this, i think nintendo is just blowing smoke by sayining the sony and microsoft systems will have framerate issues.IMHO
post #15 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I was going to break this last night, but I didn't want to be seen as anti-Nintendo :D

Does this mean the current Xbox is more advanced than the next gen Nintendo?

Yes, I know it doesn't mean that, but think about it.

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #16 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think we have to move foward and go with the next step in gaming which is HDTV.It's a really smart decision if you ask me.I'm just not interested in the revolution now after this sad news.
I too am very excited by HDTV gaming. However, how is it the next step in gaming? What all does it provide but just enhanced visual clarity. I mean, I know it will make games look better, but will it be considered the same leap forward as when games went from 2D to 3D? Will HD gaming be more "fun" than SD gaming?

Quote:
And for those who say HDTV is'nmt soo great, i dare you to see it in your home properly calibrated with good lighting conditions.I can guarantee you will not go back to SD tv after seeing the clarity of HDTV.
I have a properly calibrated Pioneer in my home and it looks amazing in HD. However, the majority of the programs I watch are still only broadcast in SDTV, so somehow I manage to enjoy them ;)
Plus, my partner and I love our Tivo and since its only SDTV we use it for most of our TV watching.

Quote:
By not supporting HD, i think nintendo took a step backwards and shot itself in the foot in the long run.Also just from judgeing how powerful the hardware will be for xbox360 and PS3 framerate should'nt be a problem.I would'nt be surprised if all the games ran at a locked 60fps.
We'll definitely see about that. I don't think Nintendo is the only one saying that frame rate could be difficult to lock for the next gen consoles running in HD. I thought I read an article with a few developers also having concerns, but I am not sure which article it was. If I find it, I will post a link.

Quote:
The hardware is powerful enough to easily do this, i think nintendo is just blowing smoke by sayining the sony and microsoft systems will have framerate issues.IMHO
Again, every company is blowing smoke. Any company will tell you that their product is better than their competitions. I'm sure each product will definitely have its own distinct advantages. Lack of HDTV support may not be all that important if Nintendo's unique controller can somehow provide unique gaming experiences. Its just a matter of waiting and seeing whenever they get around to letting us in on their secret. I know I am intrigued, but also skeptical.
post #17 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 08:22 AM

I think it's the game that will give you a unique gaming experiance not the controller which i could give a rats ass about:D

Also HDTV will give you that immersion factor which SD will not give you in gameplay.By going HD it's one step closer of actually being there!

HD will also allow you to see things much further away.

I think IMO that HDTV "IS" the next generation in gaming.3D was good but HDTV will be that much better, it's the immersion factor that counts.
post #18 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think it's the game that will give you a unique gaming experiance not the controller which i could give a rats ass about:D
Well, that's full of crap because the controller is every bit as important, if not moreso, as the graphics. The controller is your interface to the game. Its how you play the game and allows you to react and interact with everything. So, while you maybe take for granted the idea of a controller, deep down you do give a rats ass about it because without a good one, gaming would not be fun at all.

I agree its the game that provides the experience, but if controller A has more functionality than controller B, then it gives the game more ways to provide fun and unique interfaces to a game with the added functionality. Now, I have no clue what Nintendo will be doing with their controller. It could be way lame for all I know. But, at the same time, it could truly be something great. I'm definitely waiting to pass judgement once they show it rather than immediately denouncing their next console because of lack of HD support.

Quote:
Also HDTV will give you that immersion factor which SD will not give you in gameplay.By going HD it's one step closer of actually being there!

HD will also allow you to see things much further away.
Again, I must ask, does this make a game more fun? It will certainly give the visuals a nice boost, but is that the only place where games can improve? I understand what you're saying, but surely you must see that HD support is more if a slight enhancement than the big leaps we've had in the past. Going from 2D to 3D, gamers got a huge overhaul in the way they look at and play games. Going from 3D to HD, the games will look the same in design, but just have higher resolution so there are more details. I don't see it as changing the way games are viewed and played though, simply because the overall design hasn't changed. Again, I'm not denying it will be cool to have, but I guess I just don't see it being the big leap that you do.

Quote:
I think IMO that HDTV "IS" the next generation in gaming.3D was good but HDTV will be that much better, it's the immersion factor that counts.
Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I think games right now give a good immersion experience. I'm certain it will improve come next gen with the more powerful machines. However, I see this more as a minor upgrade than a major one.
post #19 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looks like a "rinse and repeat" situation for Nintendo --

Gamecube - no online gaming, which takes off on XB Live and PS2 this generation
Revolution - no HDTV, which takes off on the 360 and ps3 next gen.

It'll be funny to see all multi-platform game reviews on ign. Everytime graphics is rated, the revolution will be behind. There is absolutely no reason to own a revolution unless you want nintendo's first party games(most likely 2 zelda games, 53643563 mario games, 2 metroid games).

Safe to say, we'll be playing zelda and mario on our xbox 3 and ps4.
post #20 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S

It'll be funny to see all multi-platform game reviews on ign. Everytime graphics is rated, the revolution will be behind.
Not necessarily. The Revolution could be running multiplatform games at 60 fps while the other platforms might only be running them at 30 fps. Also, Revolution might be able to cram more polys on screen at once than the other consoles that are spending their efforts rendering things in HD. I just wouldn't so quick to discount it until we know more about it.

Quote:
Safe to say, we'll be playing zelda and mario on our xbox 3 and ps4.
Don't you mean the xbox 720? ;)
I don't know if I would count Nintendo out of this just yet. I thought they were crazy with their Nintendo DS idea, but I have to say I am a believer now as I have one and enjoy it very much. It really does provide some very fun and unique gaming experiences. Obviously, other people are seeing this as well as the DS is doing suprisingly well in sales. Something similar might happen with the Revolution. It could provide such a unique twist on things, that people will bite. Yeah, as usual, I have my doubts on what Nintendo is doing, but I hope they give me a pleasant suprise as they did with the DS :)
post #21 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
I was going to break this last night, but I didn't want to be seen as anti-Nintendo :D

Does this mean the current Xbox is more advanced than the next gen Nintendo?

Yes, I know it doesn't mean that, but think about it.

Gun-shy after being labeled a "troublemaker" ;)

Perhaps we're all missing the point. Maybe it won't support HD b/c it won't use a TV at all. Maybe VR is finally here, and it's called Revolution :D
post #22 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 01:48 PM

Nintendo just doesn't get it. They're a pack of fools.

(/grew-up on Sega :D )

Quote:

I was all about Xbox this gen but I think I may adopt a wait and see attitude for the next gen consoles..... bah, who am I trying to kid, I'll get a 360 at launch and prolly a PS3 to.
post #23 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Nintendo just doesn't get it. They're a pack of fools.

(/grew-up on Sega :D)

Quote:

Wait till they're both out to decide. I was all about Xbox this gen but I think I may adopt a wait and see attitude for the next gen consoles.

.... bah, who am I trying to kid, I'll get a 360 at launch and prolly a PS3 to.
post #24 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squicken
Gun-shy after being labeled a "troublemaker" ;)

Perhaps we're all missing the point. Maybe it won't support HD b/c it won't use a TV at all. Maybe VR is finally here, and it's called Revolution :D
You know something don't you?!!

:D

If so . . . Nintendo better play that card soon, because they are about to get a media lashing.

Jay

Just another monkey throwing coconuts

post #25 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 04:42 PM

I don't get it. What is the life cycle of consoles these days? 5 years? Does Nintendo really want a flagship console on the market 3 or 4 years from now that is not capable of HD? After months of dreaming of HD Metroid Prime 3, I must say, I'm very dissappointed.
post #26 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 08:04 PM

My guess is Nintendo is probably going by how many cables were ordered for the Gamecube. I think if HD was available out of the box more people would use it.

The question is, will the revolution at least use 480p? I was under the impression that it would play DVDs?

I don't know if HD will be a deal breaker if it can play games in HD or it won't be mandatory by them? Really what does it mean? 480i is all that will be supported. This doesn't even really make sense.
post #27 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
The question is, will the revolution at least use 480p? I was under the impression that it would play DVDs?
It will play DVDs. I would say its almost certain it will do 480p in gaming.
post #28 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godwolf
I don't get it. What is the life cycle of consoles these days? 5 years?
for microsoft, its 4 years.

Quote:
Does Nintendo really want a flagship console on the market 3 or 4 years from now that is not capable of HD?
Yeah, that is the kicker. However, we'll see how much cost this really saves nintendo. If the revolution is indeed a lot cheaper to make games for, then it could mean games cost cheaper. I, for one, am not thrilled about paying $60 for next gen games. So, if the Revolution can maintain high quality gaming still at $50 msrp, then I'll be happy.
post #29 of 278 Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 PM

Well if it will at least play games in 480p that is not a total disaster. And the question is if it can play games in 480p, why COULDN'T it play games in higher resolutions. Maybe Nintendo is just not going to make it a requirement like MS or Sony. It sounds like it is dependent on the games.
post #30 of 278 Old 06-12-2005, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean
I don't think it has as much to do with the size as the extra expense. HD chipsets and such are not huge, however, they can get pricey. Nintendo's goal is to make a cheap, sophisticated console IMO. If most consumers have SDTVs and the games look just in good in SD as they do with the 360 and PS3, I don't see the lack of HDTV support really mattering much. However, its the bad press and the lack of having buzz words like HDTV that could hurt them more with this.
Going with a smaller console though precluded the ability to include much in the way of hardware. In other words the CPU, GPU, and various other components had to be smaller and less powerful to fit in such a tiny console. In fact from the moment I saw it I presumed it would not be capable of doing HD since any HD resolution it could do would look barely better than the X-box in terms of quality.

Quote:
Not necessarily. The Revolution could be running multiplatform games at 60 fps while the other platforms might only be running them at 30 fps. Also, Revolution might be able to cram more polys on screen at once than the other consoles that are spending their efforts rendering things in HD. I just wouldn't so quick to discount it until we know more about it.
The thing is though how many people currently play computer games at VGA resolution? Though there are benefits of going lower in resolution since it takes less to do most people at a minimum play computer games at XGA or SXGA resolution. As such I don't think the idea of sticking with the equivalent of VGA is a good one for the Nintendo Revolution. Also what will happen if even at 480p the Nintendo Revolution looks worse than the other two consoles do at 720p?

Quote:
We'll definitely see about that. I don't think Nintendo is the only one saying that frame rate could be difficult to lock for the next gen consoles running in HD. I thought I read an article with a few developers also having concerns, but I am not sure which article it was. If I find it, I will post a link.
Seriously I think that both the PS3 and X-box 360 will easily be able to render the PC version of Doom 3 at 1080p with full effects at a solid 60 fps. Both consoles are really that powerful. Granted I can understand that Nintendo wants to be different but deciding not to do HD and than making up excuses about frame rate issues is rather silly.

Quote:
Again, every company is blowing smoke. Any company will tell you that their product is better than their competitions. I'm sure each product will definitely have its own distinct advantages. Lack of HDTV support may not be all that important if Nintendo's unique controller can somehow provide unique gaming experiences. Its just a matter of waiting and seeing whenever they get around to letting us in on their secret. I know I am intrigued, but also skeptical.
Why though can Nintendo not have a unique controller and a powerful console? There is no real reason for Nintendo to limit their next console besides wanting it to be really small and cheap.

Quote:
Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I think games right now give a good immersion experience. I'm certain it will improve come next gen with the more powerful machines. However, I see this more as a minor upgrade than a major one.
Would consider going from VGA to XGA a minor upgrade on a computer game? That is why many of use are absolutely amazed that Nintendo is going to stick with SD for the Nintendo Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squicken
That would be rather amusing. I could see an advertisement being something along the lines of "Play the NR while walking, swimming, or driving a car. Play, Live, and Die in the Nintendo NR".
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page