Revolution at 480P vs. XBox 360 at 720P - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm a big HT buff and have everything (PS2, GC, PC, Cable) hooked up to a Sanyo Z2 projector in my HT room. I'm disappointed that the Revolution won't have HD output, but really, is 720P that much better than 480P? Sure, it's 50% more lines of resolution, but if the games are great is it really going to be a death-knell for the console?

I was pondering this since after playing Metroid Prime and MP2 on the GameCube at 480P I can't see myself worrying about the HD decision too much when the current progressive GC games look great on a large display.

Now, I'm biased towards Nintendo due to my love of their first party titles, but coming from a HT perspective I'm not as upset as I originally was that HD won't be available on the Revolution. It's not what I would have chosen but if it allows the Revolution to be available for $200 instead of $300 I think that's a fair business decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL
I'm disappointed that the Revolution won't have HD output, but really, is 720P that much better than 480P? Sure, it's 50% more lines of resolution, but if the games are great is it really going to be a death-knell for the console?
I am still planning on buying the Revolution even though I'm disappointed by the lack of HD. Unfortunately, in a home theater with a large screen is where I think 720p vs 480p will make the biggest difference.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL
I'm a big HT buff and have everything (PS2, GC, PC, Cable) hooked up to a Sanyo Z2 projector in my HT room. I'm disappointed that the Revolution won't have HD output, but really, is 720P that much better than 480P? Sure, it's 50% more lines of resolution, but if the games are great is it really going to be a death-knell for the console?

I was pondering this since after playing Metroid Prime and MP2 on the GameCube at 480P I can't see myself worrying about the HD decision too much when the current progressive GC games look great on a large display.

Now, I'm biased towards Nintendo due to my love of their first party titles, but coming from a HT perspective I'm not as upset as I originally was that HD won't be available on the Revolution. It's not what I would have chosen but if it allows the Revolution to be available for $200 instead of $300 I think that's a fair business decision.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I picked up MP2 a few months back. I think the big difference will annoying if they don't do true widescreen support.

While RE4 was nice, it didn't look too good blown up with my TV's zoom modes, but MP 2, F-Zeror and ED looked decent with the true widescreen setting enabled.(MP2 actually had it's own stretching feature that worked ok)
Old 11-28-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdiesel1977
I was thinking the exact same thing when I picked up MP2 a few months back. I think the big difference will annoying if they don't do true widescreen support.
Oh, I definitely agree here. I'd be quite unhappy if 16:9 isn't a standard option on most (all?) games. And not just 'stretch' mode, actual 16:9 content.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I for one am upset by Nintendo's decision, as 480p looks poor when scaled by my displays. However, I plan on buying a new external scaler/processor that will for the most part remove the detriments of Revolution games running only in 480p. Overall, it's a small price to pay for a system that will most likely have worthwhile first-party games.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
No HD... Wow Mario Kart 1,000,389th would have been sweet in HD..... :D :D

But seriously thats wack that Nintendo is still stuck in the 80's.........

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
Old 11-28-2005, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Nintendo is going by their sales of Digital cables from the Gamecube & that's their research.

My New Xbox Live Gamertag: General Hazard
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd take 480p with lots of anti-alaising and anisotropic filtering on all games over 720p with little to none of either like we have on current 360 games. Nintendo may well supprise everyone if their hardware is up to snuff and could possibly have arguably the best graphics of the bunch reguardless of the output resolution.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM

I agree, the detail isn't there in video games like it is in movies and on smaller displays I don't think it makes as much difference, but I think on larger displays you can really begin to notice pixilization.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme
I'd take 480p with lots of anti-alaising and anisotropic filtering on all games over 720p with little to none of either like we have on current 360 games. Nintendo may well supprise everyone if their hardware is up to snuff and could possibly have arguably the best graphics of the bunch reguardless of the output resolution.
I have heard this argument many times before and here is a counterpoint. In terms of graphics if 720x480 is better than 1280x720 than shouldn't 360x240 be even better? The point being that resolution is an element of graphics and as such you have to take that into account with an HDTV. Personally I think that the main thing that will lessen the market share loss with the Nintendo Revolution is the fact that most people will probably not own HDTVs even 3 years from now.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
The point being that resolution is an element of graphics and as such you have to take that into account with an HDTV.
I agree. I would take 720p with no AA on an HD display over 480p with even 8xAA on the same display any day. 480p looks bad even when scaled by small HD displays.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Personally I don’t think Nintendo is going with HD support with the Revolution because there tiny little system doesn’t have enough horsepower to render 720P. Revolution is about the size of a PC CD-ROM drive; I don’t think they can fit the processing and cooling power in that little box needed for 720p, so they are doing what they do best. Make up for it with a gimmick. A gimmick like the Virtual Boys 3D technology, a gimmick like the DS dual screens, because Nintendo knows when they are beaten they need a gimmick or that little some’ in, some’ in to entice people to buy it. Because lets face it your not going to buy the revolution for its killer graphics or 5.1 sound it may not have, your going to buy it for the revolutionary controller.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:48 AM

I assume it's a given then that revolution will only have red&white stereo jacks for audio, as with gamecube? I have never seen it mentioned. I figure that will be the case, but I'd love to see pics of the back of the unit and the cabling.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
No word on audio yet, no word on anything about the AV other than "No HD". And there is still time for that to change. As I have said before the XBox was able to pull off 720P on 40+ games, the Revoloution has to be able to do 720P.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07
Personally I don’t think Nintendo is going with HD support with the Revolution because there tiny little system doesn’t have enough horsepower to render 720P. Revolution is about the size of a PC CD-ROM drive; I don’t think they can fit the processing and cooling power in that little box needed for 720p, so they are doing what they do best. Make up for it with a gimmick. A gimmick like the Virtual Boys 3D technology, a gimmick like the DS dual screens, because Nintendo knows when they are beaten they need a gimmick or that little some’ in, some’ in to entice people to buy it. Because lets face it your not going to buy the revolution for its killer graphics or 5.1 sound it may not have, your going to buy it for the revolutionary controller.
Yep, somehow that DS 'gimmick' is helping move tons of systems. When will people learn? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Nintendo learned a big lesson this generation, in that they need to stand out from the competition. They don't have the deep pockets like Sony and Microsoft. They can't afford to take huge losses on game consoles and hope to make up for it later. Because of this, they can't possibly offer the power that MS and Sony are offering in their systems and compete on price. Rather than making the same mistakes they did with the GC and just offering a standard console the directly competes with Microsoft and Sony, they are trying to go in a different direction that will help separate them from the pack. For better or worse, its probably the best business decision they could make if they want to continue to stay in the console business.

The DS 'gimmick' is proving to be quite popular amongst consumers, offering people new types of games and interfaces, while still offering traditional ones. The Revolution is poised to offer the same kinds of things and could prove to be very popular with the coming generation.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:15 PM

I think the revolution will be perfect.
Low cost and all the best games. Im going to Download Shadowrun!!

480p and wifi for the kids is cool.. for less than half the price of the other 2 consoles, I bet everyone will get one.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How in the world can we have a meaningful conversation about this when no one actually owns a Revolution to do the direct comparision?

It's going to be a LOOOONG year in this sub forum if threads like these are any indication.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 PM

its fun?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cell
for less than half the price of the other 2 consoles, I bet everyone will get one.
$149.99 would be great, but its probably not likely at first. I'd bet on $199.99 at launch. Grab the early adopters that will pay more, then lower it for the mass market.

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cell
its fun?
It's useless speculation, at best.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
It's useless speculation, at best.
Most of the speculation on the Internet is useless, and entertaining at the same time. ESPECIALLY speculating about gaming. Less fact and more fiction in gaming news than at the Democratic National Convention!

Frank J. Cone

Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
Most of the speculation on the Internet is useless, and entertaining at the same time. ESPECIALLY speculating about gaming. Less fact and more fiction in gaming news than at the Democratic National Convention!

LMAO! Ok, you just made this thread pure gold with this post. :D

Hell, I'm glad I wasn't drinking or eating something!

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think partisan sniping has any place on this forum.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm closing this. I gave it a shot but it degraded quickly...

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness