Nintendo's Revolution steps out of the next-gen battle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great article on Nintendo's next-gen strategy.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13579

My New Xbox Live Gamertag: General Hazard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I like this...
Quote:
Instead of dazzling graphics and massive processing power, Nintendo is offering innovation that's more in the realm of gadgets than pure computing. Their console is loaded with clever features, from the unobvious - the clever way that the company has built a slot-loading DVD drive that accepts both full-size DVDs and the micro-size discs from the GameCube - to the glaringly apparent - an amazing control mechanism that feels genuinely, radically different to any other method of controlling a videogame. For developers, the challenge is creative, not technical - how to get to grips with these unique features, not to work out how to multi-thread their game code or build assets for games on super-powered consoles using PCs which can't yet hope to match their performance.
and this...
Quote:
After all, the last time anyone called Nintendo insane was when the DS was unveiled. Now it's been outselling the PlayStation Portable every week for around nine months in Japan, and you can't buy one for love nor money in the UK, one of Sony's strongest global markets. The most expensive packages on eBay? Pink DS units with copies of Nintendogs. In hindsight, if you can make teenagers think a fat plumber is cool, getting girls to demand games consoles for Christmas probably isn't that tough, but nobody would have believed you if you'd told them this time last year that Nintendo consoles would be facing supply shortages because the female market was tearing them off the shelves faster than they could resupply, leaving the boys scrounging for the odd well-hidden silver unit on which to play the year's top online console game, Mario Kart.
As well as the closing remarks...
Quote:
Can Nintendo win the next-generation war without even taking part? Instinct says no. The hardcore will still gravitate to the powerful consoles, and the PlayStation brand - in no small part due to Sony's incredible work on expanding its appeal in recent years - is as strong as it's ever been. However, can Nintendo make billions of dollars, sell tens of millions of low-priced consoles, hundreds of millions of games, and reinvigorate the entire industry with an influx of new customers? They can, and they just might.
Nintendo isn't stupid and they won't be losing a ton of cash on every revolution that they sell. They may just be the smartest group in the bunch.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #3 of 20 Old 12-13-2005, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose
I like this...

Nintendo isn't stupid and they won't be losing a ton of cash on every revolution that they sell. They may just be the smartest group in the bunch.
Yep, that's what I have been saying to those proclaiming doom to Nintendo. Nintendo isn't going anywhere nor should anyone want them to. Sega made some really bad decisions but their pockets were pretty shallow too so there really is no Sega-nintendo comparison. As long as Nintendo makes money and they have refined manufacturing techniques they will be fine.
A lot of people squacked about how much better the PSP was going to be compared to the DS and a lot of people have come to realize that the games are just not there like they are for the DS. Everyone thought the DS was just some gimmick until they actually played the games and found the interactivity to be fun.
Just wait until Revolution systems start to show up on Kiosks and they start grabbing attention as to what people are doing with the controller and then they learn what the price is. If people are willing to shell out $100 for a gameboy, why not this new system that looks cool, looks different, and will be fun for the whole family.
When you buy a Nintendo system you buy it for specific reasons, not just because it does a billion terraflops.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-13-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have posted before I REALLY like that Iwata has stopped trying to sell a Nintendo console like Sony and MS sell theirs. That said the GC IS the incredibly cheap console... consumers have a chance to buy a very cheap (cheaper than the Rev will be) system in the GC. Consumers will nto buy systems just because they are cheap. Nintendo tried cheap in 2004/2005 and it saw sales lower than in 2003.

I would rather see the Revoloution at $199 and have a few more features.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #5 of 20 Old 12-13-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dean, no offense but please don't turn every Nintendo thread into a HD debate.

Thanks,

Kyser

post #6 of 20 Old 12-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

The Gamecube didn't have that much lower an initial price, especially if you added the cost of a memory card. It's dirt cheap now (which is actually pushing big sales for it this fall), but it didn't start at that magical price point. From what pundits and "insiders" are claiming, the Revolution will BEGIN its life at that critical price point, which would be at the very most 1/2 the price of its competitors and possibly even less. It will come fully functional for gaming (and online) with no need for a single accessory out of the gate. Add to that complete compatibility with the Gamecube library and hardware accessories. To me, there is no reason for it NOT to do well, even if its sales only pick up after everyone has bought the other two systems.

The GameBoy outsold every other gaming system last month (900k units in the US alone). Clearly, the masses want a good product at a good price that plays good games, without it neccessarily being the most technologically advanced. If Nintendo pulls this off with their next console, I don't see how they can possibly fail.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

I will hand it to Nintendo. The DS's success is far greater than I would have imagined. I still think the system is relatively bulky and ugly, but the games - oh my, the games!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-23-2005, 08:28 AM

I just picked up a GC Super Smash package w/ 2 Wireless wave controllers last week JUST to play Mario Kart with my wife. It's the games that drive consoles that counts.

Anyone with children know that Nintendo is always the way to go. At $99 a pop to play some of the best games out there, it's a no brainer for anyone with a family.

That being said, I also own a PS2 and briefly had a "borrowed" Xbox and fully intend to purchase the new PS3, Revolution, and possibly the XBOX 360 when Halo 3 comes out.

Why would I even bother with an XBOX? I wanted to play Halo and Halo 2 that's it. Just those games. The rest were icing on the cake.

PS2? With the largest gaming library out of the 3 consoles and the fact that most of my other friends had one too, it was also a no brainer since we could trade games back and forth. But in the end, it still came down to the games. Nintendo knows their market niche and has consistently been able to keep their market share in their niche. In this day and age where parents are getting more and more sensitve to game ratings, they can always count on Nintendo to put out more games that are suitible for young children.

It's just unbelivable that the XBOX 360 is in such high demand with so few start up games. None of which are five star games in my humble opinion.

Hopefully, PS3 and Revolution won't fall into the same trap.

Dizzy
post #9 of 20 Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
You've got it with the nintendo and family thing. We've got a 6 year old daughter and the three of us are able to sit down and play games together. mario kart, donkey konga, ddr, and numerous other mario titles. They're kid friendly yet deep enough for an experienced gamer to also enjoy.

It appers PS3 will launch with Unreal Tournament 2007 and revolution is going to launch with smash brothers. Plus the new zelda will be made for gc but with revolution in mind so it will work with the rev controller. Zelda will be a great way to test the real difference the controller makes.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-24-2005, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If Nintendo sells that system for 99.00,I can't see them failing.That's less than the price of 2 xbox360 games that you'll likely trade off after playing.If it's 99.00,I won't hesitate or blink twice when putting down the cash.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #11 of 20 Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

you know, i generally thought nintendo's strategy here was moronic. but the events of the past 24 hours have led me to change my mind.

i own a sony psp. bought it the day it came out, and i have probably about 20 games for it. i love this system to death. my daughter owns a nintendo ds, which i generally snicker at, thinking my psp is VASTLY superior.

for christmas she got two games, mario kart ds and castlevania ds. wow. these two games are easily better than every game in my psp collection. its kind of crazy. nintendo prides themselves in innovation and superior software, and i can now attest to the power of these ideas. i'm not kidding when i say they are two of the best and most fun games i have ever played, console or handheld. the moral is, don't count nintendo out...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #12 of 20 Old 12-25-2005, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain
you know, i generally thought nintendo's strategy here was moronic. but the events of the past 24 hours have led me to change my mind.

i own a sony psp. bought it the day it came out, and i have probably about 20 games for it. i love this system to death. my daughter owns a nintendo ds, which i generally snicker at, thinking my psp is VASTLY superior.

for christmas she got two games, mario kart ds and castlevania ds. wow. these two games are easily better than every game in my psp collection. its kind of crazy. nintendo prides themselves in innovation and superior software, and i can now attest to the power of these ideas. i'm not kidding when i say they are two of the best and most fun games i have ever played, console or handheld. the moral is, don't count nintendo out...
The real test here is though will you choose to purchase a DS because of these fun games or will you keep on playing your PSP because you feel its more socially acceptable? I must say that Mario Kart LAN is a total blast.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 PM

I definitely enjoy my DS as well. Playing Mario Kart DS against people all over the world is so fun.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean
The real test here is though will you choose to purchase a DS because of these fun games or will you keep on playing your PSP because you feel its more socially acceptable? I must say that Mario Kart LAN is a total blast.

i'll tell you what: when i take my psp on business trips, i get ridiculous stares from people while i play it. the ds seems to be more socially acceptable, at least from non gamers.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #15 of 20 Old 12-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain
i'll tell you what: when i take my psp on business trips, i get ridiculous stares from people while i play it. the ds seems to be more socially acceptable, at least from non gamers.
That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite. Then again, the DS flips open sort of like a small laptop and the stylus makes it look like it might be a PDA. Maybe those factors have something to do with it.

Oh, and MK is definitely one of the best games I've played in years. I have yet to get even remotely tired of playing it.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah if mario kart ds had voice chat and supported more than 4 people online i might be calling it the greatest videogame ever made. actually its pretty damn close without those things...

---Mr. Met---

post #17 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 03:27 PM

"Santa" brought my son Mario Kart for his DS this week and I'm not ashamed to say that I've played it probably about 3x as much as he....

I've even altered the security on my Router from WPA to WEP to be able to play online....

I will say that I'm disappointed by how long it takes to find a match on WiFi, but once it does, let the fun begin!!

This game has caused me to consider putting off my XB360 purchase in favor of a second DS and MK cart for LAN play in the family...
post #18 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardman

This game has caused me to consider putting off my XB360 purchase in favor of a second DS and MK cart for LAN play in the family...
hehe....its certainly a cheaper option. ;)
also, just an FYI, you don't need to buy a second copy of MK to play LAN. You can play with just one cartridge and have up to 8 players.

Your options are limited when you play off of one cartridge, but nonetheless, its nice to have that feature in case you want to play with others who don't own the game.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 AM

very nice
post #20 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 12:22 PM

i've been tempted to buy a DS for my self because of Mario Kart. my son hogs the game too much :) i have to see if the MK/DS bundle (with the cool flames) is available around here.
Closed Thread Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page