Microsoft cozies up with Nintendo, and says the Wii is awesome - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the Xbox thread, but I thought you might be intersted here...

MS says buy a Wii (and an Xbox 360)

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Moore then turned pitchman for Nintendo's Wii, the latest offering from the Japanese company that once dominated the video game industry.

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Might want to adjust the misleading title though.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Microsoft and Nintendo have formed an alliance to vote Sony off the planet!

Seriously though, people are starting to imply there is an unwritten alliance or something at work here, but really all I see it as being was Moore cleverly/politely bashing Sony's price. From what I know of Nintendo, they don't play well with others.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #4 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Good strategy by both companies.

Although I'll be buying both a PS3 and Wii...if I had to pick, I would keep my 360 and get a Wii.

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55
Good strategy by both companies.
It doesn't seem like an actual strategy. It's just Microsoft nicely knocking Sony by repeating what many of us have been saying ever since the E3 PS3 price announcement. I doubt Nintendo will do anything with this.

As was said... The enemy of my enemy...

Quote:
Although I'll be buying both a PS3 and Wii...if I had to pick, I would keep my 360 and get a Wii.
Yup. MS hopes many more will think the way you do. In fact, E3 now has me thinking I may add a Wii to my 360 if the Sega guy's US$199 price prediction proves to be correct, although I may not necessarily do so right at Wii's launch.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Count me in the crowd going for the 360/Wii combo.It just makes too much sense on so many levels.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #7 of 10 Old 05-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I'm super psyched for a Wii/360 combo... from what I've seen from E3, there will be more than enough fantastic 360 games to play in the next year or so, and then we'll have the Wii for something different... I had been planning on buying a PS3 on day one (just as I did my 360, PS2, and Cub), but I've changed my mind. The sole reason I would consider a ps3 now is that it might be a relative bargain for a Blu-ray player, although honestly I think I can hold off until next year to pick up my first hi-def player of either type. Nintendo pulled out all the stops with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros all coming to Wii at launch (or shortly thereafter in Mario's case)... I can't wait!!! (p.s. ... this fall may be a very bad time to be starting law school!!)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-20-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Smash Brothers is not a launch title. Nintendo only said it was coming sometime in 2007.
So far the only launch games we know about for sure are Metroid, Zelda, Red Steel, Wii Sports, Rayman, Super Monkey Ball, and a few others. I'm sure other titles will get firmed up with a release date soon.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg1983
I'm super psyched for a Wii/360 combo... from what I've seen from E3, there will be more than enough fantastic 360 games to play in the next year or so, and then we'll have the Wii for something different... I had been planning on buying a PS3 on day one (just as I did my 360, PS2, and Cub), but I've changed my mind. The sole reason I would consider a ps3 now is that it might be a relative bargain for a Blu-ray player, although honestly I think I can hold off until next year to pick up my first hi-def player of either type. Nintendo pulled out all the stops with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros all coming to Wii at launch (or shortly thereafter in Mario's case)... I can't wait!!! (p.s. ... this fall may be a very bad time to be starting law school!!)

Between 360 and Wii,I know I'll have plenty of games to hold me till the PS3 drops to a more acceptable price(for me). Plus I'm trying to get my hands on some old PS2/xbox/gamecube hits that I may have missed over the last few years,now going for cheap.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't see anywhere where MS or Peter Moore called the Wii "AWESOME"

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version