Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 245 Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indirect View Post

Good News!! Look at the question above the black & white picture.

Hope it's accurate.

Best post on this discussion yet.

This is the main Problem with Kill Zone 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 245 Old 11-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
For those too lazy to click the link, it's an interview with Perrin Kaplan of Nintendo, who says that the first party component cable will be available at retail (i.e., B&M) and online on launch day.

Combine this with the news coming out of WalMart and Best Buy that Wii games and accessories will go on sale the week before launch and it looks good that we will be able to have these when we need them.

On the other hand, let's remember that this is the same woman that told us the Wii would be region free, so she's not exactly a font of accurate information.
post #153 of 245 Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Those component cables still look extremely skinny. On the right, that's probably a VGA - I'd prefer that.

post #154 of 245 Old 11-05-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Nope, unfortunately thats not VGA, but instead the Japan only D-Terminal cable.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #155 of 245 Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

With as many systems as Nintendo is going to sell and as many high-profile widescreen 480p games as the system will have, it is inevitable that Monster will come out with a high-end component cable. It's not like them to leave money on the table.

For me, the first party cables should work fine.
post #156 of 245 Old 11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't have to be Monster - hopefully Mad Catz or Pelican will make some using at least 24 gauge cable, which I would consider a minimum standard, even for 480p. It's not that expensive, you can get 6' 22 gauge RG59 component cables with good plugs for like $4. That Nintendo component cable looks like it's 28 gauge with minimal shielding. Hell, for $30, I'd expect 18 gauge RG6, but I know better.

post #157 of 245 Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 PM

I just noticed overstock.c0m has the Wii component cable available for pre-order at $19.

Good Luck
post #158 of 245 Old 11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It also says it won't ship until February 07, so I wouldn't bother preordering from there.

post #159 of 245 Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koski View Post

Sorry for the slightly OT question, but can anybody recommend a moderately priced component switch? I don't need anything fancy, just something simple to switch between DVD and Wii.

Thanks for the help.

I went to gamestop and they had a 4 device switch, 3 of which are component. It also accepts composite, svideo, rca audio, and ethernet. I think it was like $20. I don't see it on their website, but two gamestops near me had it.
post #160 of 245 Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Component cables will be available in store:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744867p1.html
post #161 of 245 Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 PM

This is a bunch of crap, Game stop has a 12/15 ship date on the official cable? Grrrr. BB and CC don't have it listed yet.
post #162 of 245 Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

That gamestop/EB date of 12/15 has been around for MONTHS. Nintendo has now stated more than once that they will be available in retail stores at launch. If you can't find them on launch day, then feel free to complain.

-John
post #163 of 245 Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CieJe View Post

I went to gamestop and they had a 4 device switch, 3 of which are component. It also accepts composite, svideo, rca audio, and ethernet. I think it was like $20. I don't see it on their website, but two gamestops near me had it.

Thanks for the info.
post #164 of 245 Old 11-12-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Caught this today from an IGN blog:

Quote:

Legend of Zelda on an LCD with composite cables is FUGLY. Really FUGLY. So FUGLY it deserves all caps. The same can be said for Excite Truck and likely any other Wii game. If you have an HDTV, the Wii may turn your stomach. There are two solutions.

#1: Get component cables. Easier said than done, as rumors suggest you can only get these online and that quantities will be far more limited than the four million Wii's shipping his holiday. Why Nintendo wanted their games to look like **** for millions is unknown. But if you stick with the in-the-box composite cables, you will likely be unhappy with what appears on screen.

#2: Buy a ****** TV. No, seriously. With composite cables, Wii games will look a lot better on a standard definition television. Especially one that is under 32. I may actually spend $250 at launch to buy a lesser TV just for the Wii. It sounds crazy, but if you saw the horror on screen that IGN witnessed Friday, you wouldn't scoff at the idea of a Wii-dedicated **** TV.

My excitement for the Wii has just dropped by about 20%. That's still better than the PS3, which, after seeing in the office the past week, is now below Root Canal among things I'd like to have for Christmas. I still want a Wii, but for the first time in six months, I'd actually be okay if I missed out at launch. Also, the first two hours of Zelda = Zzzzzz...

Interesting, as Madden 03 in widescreen on my 1080p over s video cables from the GC loooks great. It would seem that the scaler in their television must not be up to snuff.

post #165 of 245 Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It does say that they're using composite though and not S-video. The S-Video output was a large improvement on the gamecube as well.

post #166 of 245 Old 11-12-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point.

post #167 of 245 Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
"That's still better than the PS3, which, after seeing in the office the past week, is now below Root Canal among things I'd like to have for Christmas."

Did I read that right? This person doesn't want the PS3 given to them as a gift this Christmas?

Can anyone elaborate why he/she said this?

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #168 of 245 Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM

That IGN blog must be a little old, since on 11/8 wii.ign.com posted this:

Quote:

IGN Wii: What's up with Wii component cables? When can we get them, and how?

Perrin Kaplan: The component cable is going to be sold online and it's also going to be at three retailers. So Circuit City, GameStop and Best Buy. They'll have it online and they'll have it at retailers.

IGN Wii: Oh great, so you'll be able to walk in and buy them at those retailers? Fantastic.

Perrin Kaplan: Yeah. And we did that just because we knew that you were being really grumpy about it. Just kidding! But we knew you were really worried about it.

Look out for more from Perrin as soon as we get some time for transcription.

Here's the article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744867p1.html
post #169 of 245 Old 11-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post

That IGN blog must be a little old, since on 11/8 wii.ign.com posted this:

Here's the article: http://wii.ign.com/articles/744/744867p1.html

I don't know if it's old so much as the guy was just badly misinformed. Also, IGN's Wii channel editors (Matt Cassamassina and Mark Bozon) are based up in San Fran while most of the other editors (including the guy who wrote this blog entry) are in L.A. Which is why Matt has a component cable and these guys don't. Regardless, this guy apparently doesn't read the news on his own site.
post #170 of 245 Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is thinking about NOT getting the component cables, I recommend reading the Gamespy Zelda review that was just posted:

Quote:

I ended up playing through about 75 percent of the game using the standard composite cables that ship with the Wii, until I managed to snag some component cables towards the end. The difference in quality, clarity and imagery between the quite frankly subpar composite signal and the sexy 480p component signal was night and day. A sharper, more vibrant image enhanced the game experience significantly, so if you have the means, I highly recommend using component input.

post #171 of 245 Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM

Looks like they came & went online.
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...encyPreference

Also, I just got off the phone with my local Gamestop & they still don't know anything about them. She said she expects them to show up "any day now", but that's hardly reassuring. PLEASE don't make me buy a S-video connector that I will just have to eventually throw away.
post #172 of 245 Old 11-17-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

"That's still better than the PS3, which, after seeing in the office the past week, is now below Root Canal among things I'd like to have for Christmas."

Did I read that right? This person doesn't want the PS3 given to them as a gift this Christmas?

Can anyone elaborate why he/she said this?

Well I know for me I would be asking for a Wii over a PS3 this year. Money for my family doesnt grow on trees and I know the Wii will work out of the box with less troubles. With all the reports of the red rings of death of the xbox and the PS3 costing $600+ and not really out there to give accurate idea of its troubles Id rather play around with the cheaper, and looks like more fun, Wii, and wait a few years on the updates for the xbox or ps3 and prices to come down. Then maybe jump on one or the other. I like my money to last and I can buy 2 Wii, one for me and one for my boys, at the price of an xbox and ps3. We all have computers for "stunning" graphics to hold out paying that much for a console that will die in 6 months time or have to be sent in for repairs, or who knows what. Ill wait for the testers to be done with it for a few years then waste my money so it will give us years of enjoyment for less once most of the bugs are addressed, hopefully
post #173 of 245 Old 11-19-2006, 06:32 PM

Anyone found the component cables yet?
post #174 of 245 Old 11-19-2006, 08:25 PM

What i'm now curious about is while we now know that the gc component cables won't work on the wii, what about the old s-vid/composite cables? I doubt it, but since some people actually have the console now it would be nice to have a confirmation on if i could use my monster s-vid (that i got at a reasonable price) cable for my gc will work on the wii for example since they have used the same connector since the snes
post #175 of 245 Old 11-19-2006, 10:21 PM

The lack of component cable availability is a serious blunder on Nintendo's behalf. I hope they get them in soon because I do not want to settle for S-video while I wait, but composite is so painful...
post #176 of 245 Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatecrime69 View Post

What i'm now curious about is while we now know that the gc component cables won't work on the wii, what about the old s-vid/composite cables? I doubt it, but since some people actually have the console now it would be nice to have a confirmation on if i could use my monster s-vid (that i got at a reasonable price) cable for my gc will work on the wii for example since they have used the same connector since the snes

No. it uses a completely different av port.
post #177 of 245 Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

During the launch at Target, I asked an employee about procuring a Wii component cable and he just sort of gave me a look before asking a second employee. That employee confirmed that they had none (and based on the reply, probably didn't expect to get / carry any, either).

Since I was apparently the first person to ask about the cable, after about 30 other people had already made their game and accessory selections, it does seem that the mainstream audience doesn't care about the poor composite video quality.
post #178 of 245 Old 11-20-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CieJe View Post

No. it uses a completely different av port.

darn..ah well, it is the first time for the big n, since they did do it to cut down on 1 port for you component users
post #179 of 245 Old 11-20-2006, 06:54 AM

yea, it's good and bad. I'd much rather them have a breakout on the back already for the ports... but that'd be more space taken I guess, and they couldn't make $ selling you cables.

I just ordered the component cables on Nintendo's site - $30 + tax +shipping ~$40. But no telling when I'll get it. Someone said next shipment is Nov 28th.
post #180 of 245 Old 11-20-2006, 06:56 AM

Half the people purchasing a wii at nintendo world didn't even know what they would use a component cable for.
I need some cables!
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page