I got one!! Wii first impressions thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 323 Old 03-15-2008, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using the component cables so I did change it to 480P. The catz wii game is different then what I thought I read up on it so I didn't buy it. I got dance dance revolution today and my nephew had me get Super Mario party 8 for when he comes over so I did. We tried to play it but I couldn't do it LOL! I want the one that has darts, skiball and airhockey for 25 bucks that I will be able to do. Someone also said Carnival was fun and I picked that one up but may return it not sure yet.
Anyway Thanks, Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 323 Old 03-27-2008, 03:40 PM

I hate my Wii...no pun intended. It never sees the light of day

Northern Illinois University 2010
post #273 of 323 Old 03-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis87 View Post

I hate my Wii...no pun intended. It never sees the light of day

Hmm, have you tried Wii-agra or Wii-alis?
post #274 of 323 Old 03-28-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat View Post

Hmm, have you tried Wii-agra or Wii-alis?

hahaha

Northern Illinois University 2010
post #275 of 323 Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post

I am using the component cables so I did change it to 480P. The catz wii game is different then what I thought I read up on it so I didn't buy it. I got dance dance revolution today and my nephew had me get Super Mario party 8 for when he comes over so I did. We tried to play it but I couldn't do it LOL! I want the one that has darts, skiball and airhockey for 25 bucks that I will be able to do. Someone also said Carnival was fun and I picked that one up but may return it not sure yet.
Anyway Thanks, Rose

How do you like Carnival? I was thinking of buying it for my kids and I am getting mixed reviews.
post #276 of 323 Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 PM

I love Carnival and play it all the time. It has pop the balloon with darts. Shoot the water in the clowns mouth to pop the balloon. Basketball shooting football toss, ring toss, dunk the person in the water, knock over the milk bottles and shoot the ducks, Ski ball and lots more. It's fun! I like it a lot.

I also played some of the Wii Play games the other night and had a blast. I like this one where you pop the bubbles.. I wasn't good at DDR yet I don't really understand how to do it yet but I'll learn. I loved Tennis played it for a while the other night and Pinball is the only one I haven't played yet.. Oh and I haven't done boxing but I don't care for that..
post #277 of 323 Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post

I love Carnival and play it all the time. It has pop the balloon with darts. Shoot the water in the clowns mouth to pop the balloon. Basketball shooting football toss, ring toss, dunk the person in the water, knock over the milk bottles and shoot the ducks, Ski ball and lots more. It's fun! I like it a lot.

I also played some of the Wii Play games the other night and had a blast. I like this one where you pop the bubbles.. I wasn't good at DDR yet I don't really understand how to do it yet but I'll learn. I loved Tennis played it for a while the other night and Pinball is the only one I haven't played yet.. Oh and I haven't done boxing but I don't care for that..

Looks like I am going to have to try it. I saw it on sale at Target for $20.00 and decided against buying. Went back a week later to buy it and it was up to $35.00. I hate when that happens. I wound up buying "Game Party" which was on sale for $20.00 and is pretty cool. It has darts, ski ball and cups. Turns out, I play just as well at cups on Wii as I do in real life.
post #278 of 323 Old 04-12-2008, 10:29 AM

I have Game Party to it's fun.. I like it. I love the games that came with the extra remote the Wii Play. I played several and then quit when I got to Pool cause I was suckin at it but then I was told you have to finish each game to unlock the next one. The bubble game on there was one of my favorites.. I haven't played my Wii all week tomorrow I want to play it for a while though.. Tennis is cool too. I was just playing bowling alot at 1st but now I love tennis and I tried golf not very good at it and Baseball I can pitch but never could bat LOL!! But it's all so much fun.. I am glad I got one..
post #279 of 323 Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 AM

My first impression of the Wii was...

They better have some really good Star Wars games comming out if they are going to give me a controller that looks like a lightsaber hilt.

PSN - Okinz
post #280 of 323 Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM

check out No More Heroes to hold you over until September when the next Star Wars is going to be released...NMH isn't a star wars game, but you do have a "laser katana" or something that's basically a lightsaber. I haven't actually played the game yet (just got my wii a week ago) but it got great reviews and most people who've played it liked it alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwt2006 View Post

They better have some really good Star Wars games comming out if they are going to give me a controller that looks like a lightsaber hilt.

post #281 of 323 Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
NMH also makes some fun Star Wars references throughout. Besides the fact that you are, y'know, using a lightsaber.
post #282 of 323 Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwt2006 View Post

You aren't alone. When many of us first saw what would become the "Wii-mote" & how it operated, I think "lightsaber" popped into most heads right away.

True about NMH. Great game for "serious" gamers & you get some faux-saber action until Sept. when FORCE UNLEASHED hits all platforms. G4TV/X-Play's 5 star review of NMH was spot-on. One of, if not the best, mature title for Wii right now.

Saw some video on FORCE for the Wii. Looks like the Wiimote as saber will be much more involved than it is on NMH (NMH = still mostly A button pushes w/ Wiimote motions used for cetain moves).

From what I saw in the preview stuff, the Wii edition will have players using the Wiimote for essentially ALL saber stuff, & the nunchuck will move your player via analog stick & nunchuck motions will govern your non-saber Force powers (grab, throw, choke, etc). Looks pretty cool & the developers interviewed seemed most stoked about the Wii edition over the others. My guess is that the Wiimote's rumble & speaker functions will also get well exploited in FORCE....and will likely eats lots of battery power in the process!!

At this point, pretty much a blind buy for me in Sept. Plus, it looks like it could help Nintendo shake the stigma that the Wii "can't/doesn't" have games that "hardcore" players are looking for or 3rd party developers can't deliver the serious goods for Wii.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #283 of 323 Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am probably in the minority on this one, but as fun as wii sports, Zelda and Mario Galaxy are, SSX blur is my favorite game that I have right now. If you have a FP setup, this game is such a blast. Once you get past the first hour or so of frustration and can start to do uber tricks, you will be hooked. Once you get the controls down, it is such a rush getting huge air, pulling insane tricks and going down the mountain a thousand miles an hour. Atleast give it a rent and give yourself atleast an hour as the controls can be frustrating, but once you get them down it is so much fun!

I like SSX for what it is, but in my opinion, We Ski is much more fun at being skiing sim that doesn't force you to do thing that you don't want to do. SSX barely allows you to ski in some cases, your just flying through the air performing way too many tricks for my taste. You can't just SKI, which is what We Ski brings to the table. I also don't care for the unrealistic speed of SSX and the weather...cough...FOG...that prevents you from see that far ahead is very annoying. In We Ski you can see the runs on the other side of mountain when you are skiing down, which adds to the realism. We Ski is just a different animal and I love it as well. I certainly recommend it as a buy. It has clocked more time on my Wii than Galaxy/Brawl/Kart already and we've only had it a week.
post #284 of 323 Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Liked: 12
I love the interface, wiimote(speaker in remote is way cool), and online downloads. But going from my 360 and PS3 to a console displaying 480i is a buzz kill. I have the component cables on order, so hopefully that will enhance my viewing experience. I'm also looking into a receiver that will upconvert to 720p.

The games I've played so far: Super Mario Galaxy, Wii sports, Smooth moves, and wii play. (all loads of fun)

Xbox Live GT: xxx COKE UP xxx
post #285 of 323 Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygon View Post

I love the interface, wiimote(speaker in remote is way cool), and online downloads. But going from my 360 and PS3 to a console displaying 480i is a buzz kill. I have the component cables on order, so hopefully that will enhance my viewing experience. I'm also looking into a receiver that will upconvert to 720p.

The games I've played so far: Super Mario Galaxy, Wii sports, Smooth moves, and wii play. (all loads of fun)

While it won't work magic on the images, component will improve the sharpness/detail/color fairly substantially (and allow for a 480p signal). Will, OTOH, accentuate the jaggies of some titles as well. Biggest positive improvement I saw btwn composite & component was with Mario Galaxy (hands down the prettiest Wii title to date)

I'd say Mario Kart is a for sure buy for any Wii owner, and unless it's manic nature is just too much to handle, Smash Bros Brawl is a hell of a lot of fun. Since you also use 360/PS3 I assume it would not be too manic for you.

Metroid Prime 3 is a great FPS for Wii & No More Heroes is a lot of "mature" fun as well. A fun & sometimes comical title that sort of makes up for Wii's lack of GTA.

Guitar Hero 3 Wii was my 1st GH experience & really love that one, too.

The Wiimote spkr is cool, too. Adds a certain "surround sound" element to several games & gets used as "cell phone" to receive misson updates/advice in NO MORE HEROES.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #286 of 323 Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I picked up the wii system this morning from target. that was the good news.. bad news is that I have to wait until after I am done with work.. to hook it up.

Jacob
post #287 of 323 Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

We bought our 6 yr old a wii for his birthday... now I'm offically addicted to wii bowling and I think I have tendonitus in my shoulder and rotator cuff. lol.

I must have bowled 20 games this past weekend. Amazing !! is about all I can say.

post #288 of 323 Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, the famous "Wii Elbow." I know it well. Once I had to rubber-stamp something at work shortly after getting the Wii, and found I couldn't lift my arm. I figure that made me the coolest man alive.
post #289 of 323 Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 AM

I got "Wii Shoulder" after my first tries at Wii Sports Boxing, because I overdid it!
post #290 of 323 Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got my Wii in early June. My wife and I are having a blast playing the games. We're hooked on Mario Kart.

I'm confused too.

post #291 of 323 Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 PM

Got a Wii in May, picked up super monkey ball banana blitz cuz it was cheap and had decent reviews.. I can't really picture playing that game using normal controls now.. tough game too once you unlock the bonus worlds.

Delving into RE4 now, put in about 7 hours so far... great game, controls work seamlessly, very small learning curve until you get it down pat.. very fun to play through so far.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Wii, only thing I don't like is the Nintendo is killing us with all these add-ons, and now with the introduction of the Wii motion plus to make the controller operate how it was intended (shouldn't have that have happened at launch?) that's another add-on to consider..

Games library isn't great outside of the usual stellar first-party titles, but still more than enough good games available to play.
post #292 of 323 Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBluth View Post

Got a Wii in May, picked up super monkey ball banana blitz cuz it was cheap and had decent reviews.. I can't really picture playing that game using normal controls now.. tough game too once you unlock the bonus worlds.

Delving into RE4 now, put in about 7 hours so far... great game, controls work seamlessly, very small learning curve until you get it down pat.. very fun to play through so far.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Wii, only thing I don't like is the Nintendo is killing us with all these add-ons, and now with the introduction of the Wii motion plus to make the controller operate how it was intended (shouldn't have that have happened at launch?) that's another add-on to consider..

Games library isn't great outside of the usual stellar first-party titles, but still more than enough good games available to play.

First off...always nice to see an Arrested Development fan here (based on your screen name).

As to the Wiimotion Plus....agree that it should have been part of the Wiimote since day 1, but wonder if it took until now to get such a thing affordable (price point being a big issue for Nintendo this gen) & will only truly work on titles set up for it. Doesn't sound like it'll improve upon existing games. At least the 1st title to see WiiMotion Plus in action - WiiSports:Resort - will have one add-on in the box.

Do agree that Wii actually does have many great titles--more than some like to mention-- & most are 1st party. Despite Nintendo's less than stellar E3 presence this year, I do think that Q4 2008 & 2009 might end up seeing Wii 3rd party stuff get a lot better - both via exclusive titles (stuff like MadWorld, Conduit, Deadly Creatures, Clone Wars:Lightsaber Duels) & cross-platformers (GuitarHero:WorldTour, with it's online/DLC content identical to the 360/PS3 editions & the upcoming Dead Rising-once only found on 360).

post #293 of 323 Old 07-23-2008, 05:46 AM

I picked up my Wii a couple of weeks ago and it is a fun little system. Wii Sports is as fun and addicting as it's reputation, and the bowling game is definately a big hit when we have friends and family over. I've been playing SSBB--it's awesome, don't get me wrong, but not really that huge of a leap forward from Melee.

I'm finishing some Gamecube games that I picked up from Game Stop over the past few months. Rogue Squadron II and III and Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. I might even get around to finishing Metroid Prime 2. Progressive scan rocks! Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase and I can't wait to pick up some new games, like Mega Man 9 and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #294 of 323 Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 AM

OK I am finally a Wii owner! Got one this Monday at a local Game Crazy. I actually scored a Wii Fit this morning for actual retail price at CC.com! I am totally fired up for that.

First impression, the graphics are soft even at 480p but who cares! The gameplay is very fun and addictive.

My wife even will play golf. Amazing. I am looking forward to getting some games now. Thinking Warioware, Galaxy, RE4. Any MUST owns? Is Zack and Wiki REALLY that good? My wife loves puzzle games ...

So I LOVE my purchase on first impression. I like the clean, white console with the soft blue glow, the soft sounds. Very surreal and virtual.

I haven't been playing my 360 that much lately so it was time to join the bandwagon.

Any good full version bowling or golf games? (I LOVE Mario tennis and golf on my GBA ... any games like that would be sweet!)

I am excited for Mario Sluggers. That looks great.
post #295 of 323 Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post

I'm finishing some Gamecube games that I picked up from Game Stop over the past few months...Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2.

I like the cut of your jib.
post #296 of 323 Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I like the cut of your jib.

Those are awesome games! I don't know how they slipped past me before, but I'm really enjoying them and I'm so glad that I picked them up. My wife is dismayed, however, that "Henshin a go go, baby!" is now the catchphrase du jour.

TWW resident bullet sponge
PSN: ThreeWulfMoon
post #297 of 323 Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed! The difficulty and learning curve is just old-school perfect. Many of the bosses seem insanely difficult at first, but after banging your head against a wall enough times, soon enough you start to see the pattern, and you can beat most of them without taking a hit.
post #298 of 323 Old 09-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Well, I know I'm tell everyone what they already know but I just got one tonight. And It's awesome. I'm exhausted and sore and have to get up early. But I look forward to combing this and other thread for tasty tidbits of info in the weeks to come.
post #299 of 323 Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

I finally bought one a few days ago. I intend on selling it before Christmas, but I figured this would be a good chance to play the few games I was interested in playing while still being able to turn a profit in the future. I had already bought No More Heroes when it first went on sale for $30, so that's what I'm playing through now. I just moved up to rank 7 and so far I have to say the game is pretty disappointing (when will I learn with Suda 51?). The fighting is rather bland, the overworld absolutely sucks. I mean there is no reason it should look worse than what the Dreamcast could do with Crazy Taxi. The boss fights are supposed to be the meat and potatoes of the game, but even though have all underwhelmed me so far.

I wasn't expecting much with the Wii, but when the game I was looking forward to playing most on the system seems so mediocre so far I can't help but feel that the Wii couldn't meet my already low expectations for it. Hopefully it (NMH) will get better as time goes on, but I look forward to playing SMG next...
post #300 of 323 Old 11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Zoo

Liked: 11
Well, I am very late to the party...

Friend of ours have had a Wii pretty much since launch. I "got it" right away and loved how the Wii is just so easy to just play for shorter periods of time. I am an old school gamer (had Pong, 2600, NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2)...

The Wii is fun for quick diversions and yet there are games like Twilight Princess that you can invest dozens of hours into.

So far I have Wii Sports, Wii Play, Zack & Wiki, and Trauma centre...

I got a great deal on a used Wii with tons of peripherals and the previous owners had been busy snagging VC games. Now I have gone crazy as well and am reliving my NES days as well as trying out classics from consoles I had never owned.

Then I found a nice deal on a used Wavebird so I snagged Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin, all for $35! It was a buy 2 and get the 3'rd free deal.

Honestly, with so many great classics from systems gone by and full Gamecube BC I can never imagine getting bored of this system. Yes, not having 720p is a bit of a bummer. The fun gameplay more than makes up for it though.

My brother-in-law is autistic and he loves the bowling. Now my mother-in-law got a Wii for him and all of us played bowling at their place last weekend.

The Wii has really bridged the divide between gamers and casual gamers, and age demographics. Now they need some more killer apps for the "hardcore" gamers. Some mature rated games like a G.T.A. and some killer RPGs and FPS would be a start.

The final piece of the puzzle will be when my Monoprice component cables come in. Even as it is though the graphics aren't that bad on my 50" Grand Wega.

My only gripe with the system now is the lack of internal memory. I have a 2 Gig SD card in the system; but I have had to offload things onto the card already as I ran out of room. WiiWare games and N64 games take up lots of space.

Nintendo is missing out on my $ as I am holding off buying more VC and WiiWare content until I can stream all my games off of both the internal memory and SD card.

Oh... World Of Goo is awesome and Tetris is pretty fun as well.

Recent Wii owner. Enjoying HD up in the "Great White North"
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page