I got one!! Wii first impressions thread. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 323 Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Walked into Best Buy on Friday and apparently they had gotten a large delivery in that morning. Snatched one up along with SSX Blur, Zelda, and Warioware. Thus, my Next-Gen Triumverate is complete. I'm happy the Wii itself is so teeny, it fits between my 360 and PS3 perfectly.

So far, i'm cautiously optimistic. While the graphics aren't going to blow any doors off, theyre not as godawful as I feared. The virtual console is a pretty cool service so far, Gunstar Heroes at the click of a button is a beautiful thing. I actually am having fun with the secondary features in the short term, like creating Miis and the news channel.

The whole friend code thing is *dumb*, and I don't think online play will ever be a focus of the system, but I think the Wii will have a nice home as a "secondary console" for wacky games and things to play when company comes over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 323 Old 03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrlnd View Post

The whole friend code thing is *dumb*

Don't tell that to all the peoplw who've posted on the "Let Our Miis Mingle" thread!

-Dan
post #183 of 323 Old 03-25-2007, 05:54 PM

G/f just got a wii, it freakin rules. Haven't played zelda yet, but wii sports is a lot of fun
post #184 of 323 Old 03-26-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troysm View Post

it freakin rules

LOL! And I agree, of course.

-Dan
post #185 of 323 Old 04-13-2007, 01:24 PM

I got one a week ago (eBay)... so cool to play with your friends and family... bought because I was a little bored with my PS3 (no games to play)...
post #186 of 323 Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Got one at the end of march. Love the system, it is a lot of fun and a nice twist away from the norm. The only complaint is the game selection is really slow to take off right now...hopefully they will come out with some more good games shortly.
post #187 of 323 Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just got mine today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hooked it up and played Wii sports with my parents, my wife's parents, and my sister and brother in law. (All older people). And everyone had an absolute blast. Never thought I would get my father to try a video game but the grin on his face was a mile wide! I got TP with it of course so I can't wait to try that out tomorrow!
post #188 of 323 Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Making my 1st post using the Wii internet channel. Lots of cool features so far.
post #189 of 323 Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Picked one up yesterday in one of those "because it's there" moments.

I need to get some component cables this evening and try some of the tips for improving the WiFi connection. My chair is just outside the range for the Wii-mote with the sensor bar in it's current position, so I'll have to move that around a little too.

I downloaded the Votes and Internet channels, and skimmed through the virtual console list to note the games I'll want to download. I made a Mii to wonder around. I tried out a little bit of every sports game and wound up boxing for about 45 minutes. The baseball and bowling were fun as well and the golf was eerily accurate. I managed to stay up 2 hours later than I intended to, but a couple of cups of coffee seem to be helping with that this morning.

I think Wii sports will steal a lot of Guitar Hero's thunder at parties now, or at least keep my friend's kids inside (where their mother's can watch them!) cutting down on the Will Ferral "Get off the shed" moments.

I've got some titles coming from Gamefly to try out and will probably wind up buying RE4, since I've managed to not play it on the Gamecube or PS2 yet. It definitely won't replace the 360, but it looks like it will be a fun diversion.
post #190 of 323 Old 06-20-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

That's interesting. My nephew (who is about 35) came over for Christmas. He's disabled -- he was in a wheelchair but is now on crutches, because of some serious problems with his back. One of the things he used to love to do was to bowl. He was in a league and all that. Well, when he started plaing Wii Bowling, he was literally in tears because he was so happy. He thought he'd never be able to experience bowling again, but the Wii had given that back to him. I can't wait for the Wii to become more available, so we can buy him one.

-Dan

Even though I'm not much for the Wii....that is a touching story.
post #191 of 323 Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Just picked up mine Friday night. It's the first Nintendo console I've owned since the Super NES (back when I was in middle school).

How much do I like it? All I can say is that my right arm hurts like a *bitch* from a full weekend of Wii Sports and Tiger Woods 07... and it's worth every sore muscle in there
post #192 of 323 Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM

1st Impression: Found one at Walmart Supercenter. Wii remote range about 6 feet. Wii included sports game disk was more fun than four other purchased $50 games. Target had extra remote with bonus games disk for $50. Making Mii's was very popular with grandkids. No problem linking to WiFi with SSID turned on then later with SSID turned off. Wii came with latest firmware. Some concern about heat in standby so bought a $10 base with fan at a local game store. Attaching remote strap to arm is mandatory due to wild arm movement in sports games. Heath insurance is also mandatory should you dislocate your arm playing sports games. Having to wire the sensor bar to game machine is annoying. Photo slide show with mp3 music works perfectly from owner supplied SD memory chip. Very young children will have difficulty steadily aiming remote.
post #193 of 323 Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The remote range can be turned up in the Wii sensor bar settings. I initially turned it down because I thought this was controller sensitivity but it turns out that it extends the range of the remote.
post #194 of 323 Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got one today. Im in Grants Pass, OR and called all the stores carrying the Wii. Only 1 store had some. 3 to be exact. Problem was I couldnt get into Medford till afternoon. Had other things to do. On a wing I called again. They had 2 left. Asked if they could hold me one. They told me no. Off I went not knowing if I would get it or not. Its about 26 miles out. I get there and see one in the case. One lady was ahead of me. She asked the clerk for a "game". My heart sank. I thought she was going to buy it. They had sold another one just in those few mins of me calling. The next clerk waited on me. I said please get me that Wii!!!!!! He smiled and said its the last one. Someone just called 2 mins ago and they were on there way. I lucked out. I bought nothing else for it yet. So far. Im like a little kid in a candy store all over again. This thing is FUN!!!! Ive owned all the Nintendo consoles before. Usually I get them on day one. I just didnt have the money until now. The excitement level for me towards this system is just like when I got the first NES!
post #195 of 323 Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Great story. It must feel like Christmas morning when you were a kid. Enjoy your system!

-Dan
post #196 of 323 Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The remote range can be turned up in the Wii sensor bar settings. I initially turned it down because I thought this was controller sensitivity but it turns out that it extends the range of the remote.

Whats the point of that?

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #197 of 323 Old 07-16-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 View Post

Whats the point of that?

Changing the controller sensitivity can affect how well or poorly the remote works, when you are pointing it at the screen to control something. Setting it too low or too high can have adverse affects. The bottom line is, if it's working for you, don't change anything. But if you're having issues with the pointer, sometimes changing this one way or another can help.

If you want another explanation, RTFM. It's in there.

-Dan
post #198 of 323 Old 07-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

after months of trying to find a wii online last night toysrus just happend to have ADD TO CART - OMFG! i clicked that as fast as i could and locked it in! i've been looking for so long and every time i tried to get one always got that sorry were sold out - im sick of 360 so this should be a nice change

anyone running panasonic and fujitsu plasma's with nintendo wii's?
just curious because on the fujitsu even a vhs looks like hd lol
so im hoping the wii looks amazing!
post #199 of 323 Old 07-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

Changing the controller sensitivity can affect how well or poorly the remote works, when you are pointing it at the screen to control something. Setting it too low or too high can have adverse affects. The bottom line is, if it's working for you, don't change anything. But if you're having issues with the pointer, sometimes changing this one way or another can help.

If you want another explanation, RTFM. It's in there.

-Dan

If you look at the sensor bar through your camera, you'll see that the "sensitivity" setting is nothing of the sort. Instead, it controls the voltage flowing through the IR lamps in the bar. At the higher settings, the lamps glow brightly but merge together.

IIRC, someone suggested that the higher voltage made the life of the lamps shorter, but I wouldn't worry about that too much since I can buy a new bar now.
post #200 of 323 Old 07-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

finally arrived in the mail today! Wii sports is pretty fun - boxing wore me out after 30min, what a workout
post #201 of 323 Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwind View Post

...toysrus just happend to have ADD TO CART - OMFG! i clicked that as fast as i could and locked it in!

Got one in my cart this morning at toysrus.com, entered my billing info click place order and....removed from cart
Uhg man, thought I had one.

Well, back to the search.
post #202 of 323 Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM

If you are still looking for one, try your local Wal-Mart around mid-week. I have seen 5-6 at every Wal-Mart in my area the past few Wednesdays. Granted I live in Northwest Arkansas, the home of WM...maybe it is a regional thing.

Good luck!
post #203 of 323 Old 08-09-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

several of the local walmarts around here got 5-6 of them in wednesday.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #204 of 323 Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM

TY for the help guys.

Ya, talked to Walmart today and they said they will be getting in about 30 for Sun. morning and told me to show up after midnight Sat. and they should be able to sell me one.

I'll let you know how it goes.
post #205 of 323 Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I got my Wii, I think, 11 days ago. My wife's brother got one and they've really been having fun with it. They wanted us to get one, but we've been having a lot of trouble finding one in stock. Anyways, I was out one day, not looking for one and more or less just about tripped right over one. We've been having fun since.

Its a really cool device. Its a lot of function and product for $250. My first impression was at how small the console is. Its not all that much bigger than the original XBox controller. Its quiet, runs relatively cool. I certainly appreciated that, having it in a media tower.

Anyways, there are so many cool features. My wife and I are very impressed by the photo channel. It works so much better than anything else I've used. It kills the 360 for photo viewing. I like the fact that it uses plain non-proprietary SD cards for memory and storage.

The games have all been fun. I'm very impressed at how responsive and sensitive some of the sports games are. It seems like in Wii bowling the path of your toss with change with even the most subtle alterations in hand movement. I like it a lot.

I've played Wii Sports, Wii play, Super Paper Mario and Mario Strikers Charged and Super Swing Golf. They've all been great. Graphics and sound are much better than I would have expected. The only game I've played that I did not like was Bust A Move. Its so stupid and boring.

I'm rambling. Point of all this is, I am very impressed and the Wii is well worth the $250 cover charge.

XBox - Shizelbs

post #206 of 323 Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

the best game that used the controls for me is Zelda, I cant see going back to the standard controls for this type of game.
post #207 of 323 Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Found one Sat. at a local Gamestop.
My kids are loving it and I must admit it's pretty damn cool.
The controls are very impressive.
Much better than I thought they would be.
post #208 of 323 Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

After 1 week of searching low and behold, as I walked thru walfarts joke of an electronics department there is was, one Wii sitting in the case. Im home now and will be firing this thing up 2nite, came with the sports and I also got the misc table games w/free remote

200 +++ BD discs and counting...still enjoying 60+ HD-DVD's too!!
post #209 of 323 Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 PM

I only wanted the Wii for the bowling game for my parents. I am happy to say that it met my expectations and more. Wii sports games were simple to pick up and fun to play, especially against other human players. My mom bowled the whole afternoon, and my friends and I had fun dueling each other in golf and tennis.

There were however some nice surprises in store for me as I skimmed through the manual. Hmm, ports and card slots for game cube peripherals? Nice backward compatiblity to save people a few bucks for sure. Hmmm, insert game cube discs? You mean game cube discs won't jame inside the Wii, or does Wii actually play gamecube games? Man, I didn't read this bit anywhere, lo and behold when I inserted my favorite Mario Kart game into the Wii, it works!

Thank you Nintendo!
post #210 of 323 Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwind View Post

anyone running panasonic and fujitsu plasma's with nintendo wii's? just curious because on the fujitsu even a vhs looks like hd lol
so im hoping the wii looks amazing!

Panasonic plasma playing Wii Tony Hawk Downhill Jam is a fantastic high color detailed image experience. Super sharp big screen action with extremely fast graphics. The Wii has proven to be a highly capable game blaster.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page