Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 323 Old 11-18-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Alright, I don't have one yet.

But when you do, please post your first impressions here.

Thanks,

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 323 Old 11-18-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just got back from getting 2. Got scary for a bit there, the Walmart that was supposed to get 60 got 28. I was forced to hang on to my 11 year old in a sea of people as the line broke down when the Walmart employees just opened a warehouse sized door and said "come in".

Updating the Wii now...

Picked the country then another update...

TENNIS!!!!!

WTH is up with that crappy speaker!

TENNIS! I will pay any price for a real Tennis game!

We're pretty short on downloadable titles.

Oh and this thing is BLURRY on a 50" plasma using composite, but the store did not have component

AI for Tennis is dumb as a post at times. My back court guy is OK but the front court player is nearly useless. They do not get in position very well at all, leaving you to take shots from the back court you would have done better to do up front.

My son just loved Baseball but IMO its the dumbest thing on the disk. The delay is most noticable and it actually effects gameplay...

Bowling is a ton of fun. Its SO close ot being a complete game and really works well!

Boxing makes me want to cry The nunchuck is fine. Every time I swing with it I throw a punch. The Wiimote however... its like my arm is broken. Most of the time its not swinging. I am sure this has something to do with my room or sensor bar placmenet (Thought its fine for eveyrthing else) but its REALLy unresponsive for punches. (Fine for blocking!) The cord is a PITA in this game too. They REALL TRULY need a wireless nunchuck as punching and blocking has the cord flying up infront of your face. Maybe games can support two Wiimotes for one player? That would solve the cord problem.

Wiimote: COOL AS HELL! However... it gets jumpy at the edges of my 16:9 screen. Seems rock solid in the middle but as you get aways from it the hand (looks like its wearing MM's glove) actually shakes onscreen. Does not seem to effect Wiisports but I am concerned about CoD3.

OOPs sleepy 4 year old walked behind me during Tennis. Wife says: "You Wii-wacked her".

Going to bed now, son will be up ALL night with this. Hope you all get one!

Keyboard: Not detected in Mii creation or Store. I did not work on this at all, just plugged in a USB KB and it was not detected (I have not slept in many hours).

Working through the menus is very simple with the Wiimote so not a big deal for setup.

Bought 5K Wii-points, charged me TAX. Damn Nintendo TAX does not need to be charged to NY residents for internet purchases in most cases!

Seems I have 2,161 blocks on my internal memory. Downloaded Solomon's Key, it was 93 blocks.

When you go to buy a game it appears there is no demo. It tells you on two screens exactly what controllers can be used for the game. Mario then proceeded to collect my 500 coins and we now have a Nintendo Entertainment System Channel. Worth mentioning this game cost as much as the Techmo Classics disk on XBox did at Ebgames and that hade 5 other games as well as Solomon's key. I will certainly ONLY be buying my absolute favorites on NES. I must be missing somehing but I cannot find a way to play NES games in a 4:3 windows. SK is S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D when being played. I may need to read the manual...

It included system state saves for thegames which is a very nice feature for these old games that in many cases used passwords.

I'll get flammed in the Sony forum but as much fun as R:FoM was... after an hour its a FPS that is not as good as XBox games I have. I played Tennis for longer than I played R:FoM and Bowling is getting close....

I need to really sit down with CoD3 and Zelda more but so far I think the Wii is going to be a must buy for Wii games, not Zelda but games that use the Wiimote in ways that definatively say "You must have this tool to enjoy the game".

While playing Zelda (Especially during combat) you just know in the back of your head... OOT played better with the N64 controller than this...

Then you put in Wiisports and you know what the future of the Wii is. Kudos for whomever packed that in!

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #3 of 323 Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yikes Frank sucks when they don't keep these structured.....Humans need structure! Regardless...what are your feelings so far??

post #4 of 323 Old 11-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Got home and got it unwrapped.

I must say, the controller is pretty cool right now. I haven't had gameplay with it yet, but I do like the way it feels and there's that new coolness to controlling the cursor on screen. Very slick.

Trying to get the update done now but having some trouble. I hope that's due to Nintendo's server getting killed by the east coasters and now central time zone folks like myself. Failed the first time, now slowly updating (and failed again while I'm typing at around 20%).

I've got a couple of installation glitches so far...turns out I can't get the signal to pass through my AA switcher (due to the component out from it I'm sure), so I'm running it straight into the composite on my plasma. That precludes me from trying it out on my projector for now. Got to get that component connection. Looks like the sensor bar wire is going to be long enough for my setup, though. I just wonder how it will work once I get it set up underneath the screen.

I never thought I'd say it, but the Wii has placated my desire for the ps3. I can now find one of those whenever I like in the spring/summer as my Wii60 keeps me occupied until then.

Well, off to explore the system a bit more, then some Zelda, then some sleep, then a whole lotta more Zelda.
post #5 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Got mine around midnight. I had the same problems updating as well and never did successfully update. I'll try again when things cool down. I got Super Monkey Ball as well as Wii Sports, but only tried Wii Sports. Not bad at all and very intuitive.

It seems the sensor bar is the central point for where your cursor is. When I stand up, my sensor bar is at shoulder level, so I have to point higher than feels natural. Hopefully a future update will allow you to calibrate to the center of the screen.

Super Monkey Ball appears to have all the favorites from previous games. Total of 50 mini-games.

I wish I had component cables. There were none at GameStop (3rd party or otherwise). It's neat that it allows you to set widescreen without 'em though.

Making a Mii is pretty straightforward. I couldn't check out any of the channels because it won't let you "use" an Internet connection until it's tested (OK), immediately followed by an attempt to update the system (Not successful yet).

Should be fun, 3am here and I have to be up at 9:30, so I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow.

Cush
post #6 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:52 AM

I got mine last night at midnight. Set up was very easy. I placed the sensor bar below my tv at the edge of the table like they said to do and measured it to make sure it was perfectly centered. I have it hooked up to my 46" Sony XBR3 . Turned it on and everything works perfectly. Better than I thought it would. I am using component cables and of course everything is not as sharp as the 360 but after playing Wii sports and Super Monkey Ball and Zelda I really do not care ! To me this is the most fun I have had in a long time. Just playing around with the menus is fun, the Wii Remote is smaller than I thought but works perfect. I had my doubts about this thing working right but for at least the first time playing it I think they have a winner. Also did all the updates and everything went smooth as could be.
post #7 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Bought 5K Wii-points, charged me TAX. Damn Nintendo TAX does not need to be charged to NY residents for internet purchases in most cases!

Nintendo has a presence in NY state, so Tax for us.
post #8 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 07:07 AM

Just got mine home. I am setting up my wireless connection and it seems like I have alot of updating to do. I did buy Dragon Ball Z so I will report back when I get to playing.
post #9 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So what kind of wireless security does it support...WEP or WPA????

How is the quality of the sound using Dolby PLII? Similar channel seperation to GC games?

Download more VC games and tell us about them!...you know you want to!

Anyone get a classic controller?

Good luck Frank with the widescreen VC games issue.
post #10 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Setting it up was fairly simple. The sensor bar has 2 sticky tape things so it sits nice and secure on the tv. The power supply has a massive box closer to the Wii then I prefer (it sits on top of my rack right now, so the power supply must also sit on it). I would have like to see the power box closer to the plug. Setting up internet was a tad frustrating. I found out that it's best to name your network something other than the default (dlink, netgear, etc.). It seems to have a conflict. As soon as I renamed network within the router, it was fine and the updating began. Super Monkey Ball is interesting, though I would have liked to turn the remote sideways for control. It would have given more of a sense of moving the board around under the monkey. As it is, so far, it's a little tricky. Only played it briefly, though. On to Red steel. It's difficult. I'm very good at FPS games, and this was a hard learning curve that I still haven't mastered. When you move the remote to the left and right, it jerks the screen too much once it reaches near the edges. Holding the remote as a gun is not intuitive. I would like a gun controller, as was being made, but I haven't seen it yet. I can hold the remote flat and it still seems to think I'm holding it cockeyed. So far, the gunfights have been frustrating. And my poor arms. I have not yet tried Call of Duty 3, as Red Steel is making me take a break. Not sure whether I should open it or return it. If the controls are as spasmy as Red Steel, I just might return it and get something that doesn't require so much accuracy. When inserting a disc into the system, it nicely pulls it in when part-way inserted. The menu switching is a little slow for my taste, but that's forgiveable. And I'm not quite sure if the system can be turned off or on via remote. So far, I haven't found it to be so. The manual told me to switch it on using the power button. That's a bummer. The dpad on the remote is awkward. It forces you to reposition your grasp on it. I like the fact that you can quit games with the remote and return to the menu. So far it has potential. My verdict's still out on gun-based games. I really need a gun peripheral before I condemn them. So far, I like it, but I'm wondering whether if I should keep messing with it or play PSU. Probably mess with it some more. I think it boils down to adapting. I'm so used to playing things with normal controllers that the Wii has so far made me feel like a moron that's never touched a game in his life.

"The well-placed coin changes much - even itself." - Lao-Tse
post #11 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

It's basic Wep security. All it wants is to search for acess points. Once it finds one, you enter a wep key. Seems to have 3 slots for possible wifi connections, wired or wireless. It does NOT have an ethernet port built in, though. So wireless is my choice right now.

post #12 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The surround mix is just fine. The menu is even surround. heh.

post #13 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
man thats alot of updates. i really like this stuff so far.

im waiting for the update for the news and weather channels. should be fun.

wii sports is great, i only picked up zelda as the other game, waiting to pop that in.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #14 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:49 AM

If you dont like the new controllers can you play the new WII games with the classic controllers? Thanks a lot! Sam Zeoli
post #15 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't find a USB to Ethernet adapter for the thing so I'm going to be without updates for awhile. Did anybody else see them around?
post #16 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

WPA is supported. There are four different types of wireless security the Wii supports IIRC.

Cush
post #17 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush1978 View Post

WPA is supported. There are four different types of wireless security the Wii supports IIRC.

Cush

Well that will make people happy.
post #18 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

best buy sells some 3rd party usb adaptors

post #19 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow....Just got back from Nintendo World and Toys R Us in Manhattan where the demand for this thing is TREMENDOUS!!! These places were stocked to the gills with systems, accecories and games! Toys R Us had Wiimotes and Nunchucks and games in these tremendous pushable baskets. They had stacks of Wiis all over the place. People were buying 2 at a time with no sight of the supply running out......This is a succesful launch!

post #20 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Wow....Just got back from Nintendo World and Toys R Us in Manhattan where the demand for this thing is TREMENDOUS!!! These places were stocked to the gills with systems, accecories and games! Toys R Us had Wiimotes and Nunchucks and games in these tremendous pushable baskets. They had stacks of Wiis all over the place. People were buying 2 at a time with no sight of the supply running out......This is a succesful launch!

it's nice that there's tons of stock there. Here in Little Rock the system has sold out almost immediately. My Walmart had all of 20 consoles...the same one had 36 of the xbox 360's last year. I don't know why they got so few, but I'm hearing that that 20 number seems to be a common thing with the Walmarts out there.

Still, shipments will replenish soon and will continue to do so. This launch will be much better for the consumer than that other big launch that started recently.
post #21 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM

First experience...WOW!!!
I saw a demo set up but i wanted to wait till I was home with my unit. Wii sports is fine.
Simple but fun which was Nintendo's point.

Composite - looks great so far..no problems then again, i havn't played a "real" game yet so once zelda comes out, maybe i'll update my first review Hopefully i find componenet cables soon. Temporiraly, i have it hooked up via SA cable box and tv changed resoultion to 480p... is that possible or is the cablebox upconverting the signal?

WiiMote - light, easy to use
Menu - easy, my usb keyboard didn't work so it took a couple of attemps to get wireless to work. Im in the middle of updateing (again)

Easy to set up, i thought getting the sensor bar to work would take calbration and what not but out of the box, it was good to go. Angle is not that great so we see what happens when 4 people come over.

Small unit...ove the size and looks nice in the stand

Overall, very happy. After i get the basics out, i unwrap zelda and step it up a notch.
I have excite truck also, i didn't want it but it came with the bundle i saved 20 bucks (costco bundle) so i just look at it as a cheap game

I had to wait 2 hours at costco for my wii as target was sold out.

Anybody know what wi-fi is in here? i thought it was wireless g...the only way my router let the connection go though was have it on mix mode (i only enabled g products) and i also run a mac filter to allow networking devices...

Wireless connection seems slow to me...updates took 5 mins each time (not sure how big the updates were) but just seemed slow with the progress bar...anybody else think that?

so for my lack of spelling but since Wii inst spelt "we", i'm all confused, hehe
post #22 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it is 802.11b like the DS is and the update might have been slow because everyone was updating their Wiis as well, I can't wait to hook mine up in about 3 hours, I also have not played any demos and just wanted to see hwo it was when I got it home.

Gamertag: Ikazu
post #23 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

If you're not doing any online stuff, do you have to update. My wireless router is about as far from where the console will be as possible in my house and I am not sure the signal will go that far through all the floor and walls. We just want to play Wii sports and the other games we will buy.
post #24 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well its official mine is broken!!! I am so annoyed! It makes an awful clicking noise when trying to load a disc and it gives me an error screen. And nintendo is not accepting calls....gee thanks Nintendo!

post #25 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:05 PM

has anybody been able to use weather or news channel?

its says you must update to use...it attempts to update but says everyything is up to date and i keep going in an endless loop
post #26 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Wii lasted less than 18 hours! Wii seems fine but the remote is flashing all 4 controller spots when any button is pressed. As Mike metioned Nintendo has a message saying they are overwhelmed with calls...

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #27 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Wii lasted less than 18 hours! Wii seems fine but the remote is flashing all 4 controller spots when any button is pressed. As Mike metioned Nintendo has a message saying they are overwhelmed with calls...

i had that for a minute but it finally went away after a min or two (this happen when i tried to sync 2nd wii mote after 1st was already signed on sports
post #28 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:32 PM

Weather and News are not online yet, One launches in Dec and the other in January. I have ad my Wii running since 8:30 this morning and it's still running strong.
post #29 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmushx15 View Post

i had that for a minute but it finally went away after a min or two (this happen when i tried to sync 2nd wii mote after 1st was already signed on sports

Only one remote here. Would not resync for about 30 min, seems OK now.

Frank J. Cone

post #30 of 323 Old 11-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

could that be a battery problem?
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page