Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 217 Old 12-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Could some one confirm if the 16 x 9 image appears right away on a wide screen tv (after making the changes in the Wii screen menu) or do you have to change your tv setting (as suggest previously in this thread) to full. I have a Sony 950xbr60, and the image is 4 x 3 on Zelda, but when you change the tv to 'full' the characters look fat.
post #63 of 217 Old 12-26-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

Could some one confirm if the 16 x 9 image appears right away on a wide screen tv (after making the changes in the Wii screen menu) or do you have to change your tv setting (as suggest previously in this thread) to full. I have a Sony 950xbr60, and the image is 4 x 3 on Zelda, but when you change the tv to 'full' the characters look fat.

I don't think the Wii sends out the signal that tells your TV that the image is wide screen, so for most of us that means you have to set your TV to some sort of wide-screen or "full" mode. However if the characters look short and fat, chances are that you didn't set the options on the Wii correctly. If you do it correctly, then both Wii Sports and Zelda should look correct. Other titles will vary depending on whether they support wide screen correctly or not.

-Dan
post #64 of 217 Old 12-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks. Will keep testing
post #65 of 217 Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM

nice data sheet. but two games that you have as widesceen does not fill up the screen on my lcd tv. madden 07and elebits is in 480p but have black side bars. but i find it strange that when i go to screen menu on madden it's locked in at 16:9.

zelda and wii sports is fine so i know it's not my tv. and i have super swing golf and it doesnt support widescreen but has 480p. i tried everything it wont fill up leaving with the black side boarders.
post #66 of 217 Old 12-28-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just because there are black bars does not mean that the game isn't widescreen. It means it is underscanning. Thanks for the heads up I'll note them as UNDERSCANNED on the list.
post #67 of 217 Old 12-31-2006, 08:55 PM

BTW -- A really good way to find out if a game is true 16:9 is to hit the Wii Menu button. If the buttons are all stretched and gigantic the game is not 16:9.

Take a look at the buttons after hitting the Wii menu button in Zelda or Wii Sports. It looks perfect. Do the same in Rayman, Tony Hawk, Elebits or other 4:3 games (and have your set to 'fill' like you would for Zelda) The buttons are distorted!

Check out my really stupid gaming podcast - www.videogameoutsiders.com
post #68 of 217 Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 PM

is there any way to adjust the underscanned games? i got madden 07 for the wii, but basically cannot play it because of the sidebars (i.e. i have a plasma and am concerned about IR/burn-in issues).

i have tried the different fill modes available on my tv but none seem to work (i can't adjust aspect on hd signals on my panny 9UK unfortunately--maybe i have to play madden in 480i? edit: that doesn't work--the side bars act like part of the image ).

anyway, these underscanning games are incredibly frustrating for plasma owners. and i just had to take rayman off my list of games to get because it is 4:3. i never expected the wii to cause so many problems for those with plasma displays. even if its graphics aren't next gen, i expected its support to be.
post #69 of 217 Old 01-06-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotus View Post

is there any way to adjust the underscanned games?
i have tried the different fill modes available on my tv but none seem to work (i can't adjust aspect on hd signals on my panny 9UK unfortunately--maybe i have to play madden in 480i?

You can adjust aspect of both 480i and 480p signals on your commercial Panasonic. So that should not be a factor.

However, adjusting the aspect mode will not rid you of the underscan (Generally speaking. You might get a little less in JUST mode than in FULL mode, but playing games in JUST mode is usually not tolerable.). Luckily, since you have a commercial display, you might be able to use the picture size/position controls to get rid of the underscan. I say "might", because it depends on just how bad the underscan is. I have had mized results doing this on my commercial panasonic plasma.

Quote:

and i just had to take rayman off my list of games to get because it is 4:3.

4:3 games are no problem if you are ok with stretching them to fill the screen.
post #70 of 217 Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

You can adjust aspect of both 480i and 480p signals on your commercial Panasonic. So that should not be a factor.

However, adjusting the aspect mode will not rid you of the underscan (Generally speaking. You might get a little less in JUST mode than in FULL mode, but playing games in JUST mode is usually not tolerable.). Luckily, since you have a commercial display, you might be able to use the picture size/position controls to get rid of the underscan. I say "might", because it depends on just how bad the underscan is. I have had mized results doing this on my commercial panasonic plasma.

4:3 games are no problem if you are ok with stretching them to fill the screen.

thanks for your assistance--i didn't realize i had these options. i was able to adjust the size of the horizontal and verticle to get madden filling the whole screen. not an elegent solution but it works, so thanks!
post #71 of 217 Old 01-07-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you watch movies in OAR or do you zoom them all?...playing a 4x3 video game, or underscanned 16x9 video game is no different.
post #72 of 217 Old 01-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

Do you watch movies in OAR or do you zoom them all?...playing a 4x3 video game, or underscanned 16x9 video game is no different.

since my panel is fairly new i have tried to be careful with watching only DVDs that fill the screen. i've been using an original xBox with media center as my DVD player, which can adjust for underscan that seems to exist on certain DVDs--just didn't think about doing it on the TV. can't wait to get some more hours on the panel so i can watch some 2.35 films.
post #73 of 217 Old 01-07-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotus View Post

thanks for your assistance--i didn't realize i had these options. i was able to adjust the size of the horizontal and verticle to get madden filling the whole screen. not an elegent solution but it works, so thanks!

No prob. And good luck with your new display.
post #74 of 217 Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

I don't think the Wii sends out the signal that tells your TV that the image is wide screen, so for most of us that means you have to set your TV to some sort of wide-screen or "full" mode.

I believe that is correct. I have my display (Sony KDS-R50XBR1) setup to automatically display 4:3 and 16:9 images in the correct aspect ratio. I set it up this way originally so that I didn't have to manually change the aspect ratio for DVDs which are not widescreen (e.g. Monty Python series DVDs).

Even with the Wii set for 480p and 16:9, the image is displayed at a 4:3 aspect ratio. So, if there is a flag of some sort, the Wii isn't sending it (I'm assuming there must be such a flag for anamorphic DVDs to be displayed at the correct aspect ratio automatically).

It's not a big deal by any stretch, but I was hopeful that the Wii would display "true" widescreen 480p images.
post #75 of 217 Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM

I run my Wii via a CRT so if a game supports 480p I can play, if not it don't...
I have follwing games that I can play:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Rayman Raving Rabbits
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
I cannot play:
Call Of Duty 3

All my versions are PAL and Rayman and Marvel both state EDTV/HDTV on the package. Also I have not found a GC game which supports HDTV (PAL versions). I might have to get ActionReplay to play NTSC imports to get HDTV... though that probably wouldn't do HDTV either...
No idea about 4:3/16:9, all I can say is that Rayman and Wii Sports/Play fill out my screen, but for some reason Marvel does not and I have to manually change this everytime. Good thing I'm currently only playing Marvel.

EDIT: I think this list should be seperate for PAL and NTSC because it looks like there are version differences.
post #76 of 217 Old 01-15-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are version differences, the list so far only contains NTSC data.
post #77 of 217 Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Gday i own a PAL Wii and 4 games. Madden07 is 576i. Call of Duty3 is 576i. Super Monkey Ball is 480p. WiiSports is 480p. All Widescreen.
post #78 of 217 Old 01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Can somebody write up a list of all games that are definitely NOT 480p and post them in a reply? I've tried to download that excel spreedsheet thing, but then a menu pops up and asks me for my password to Microsoft Office and I don't have Office on this PC, so I don't have a passcode.

I have a Princeton Graphics AF3.0 HD monitor that has two component inputs that will only accept 480p signals or better. They will not accept 480i signals. So any 480i game that I get won't work on that TV, and I'm trying to know which games to rent and which to avoid.
post #79 of 217 Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 PM

i think all wii games to date are 480p but not all are widescreen. and for the excel file you downloaded you can send yourself an email to your yahoo mail account, attach the file then login and hit the preview button right next to the file. works perfectly.
post #80 of 217 Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniefrizzle View Post

i think all wii games to date are 480p but not all are widescreen

Well, I've heard on several occasions that Rayman Raving Rabids isn't 480p and the same thing with Trauma Center: Second Opinion
post #81 of 217 Old 01-19-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip on viewing the list. Only thing about that list though is that you don't know if a game is 480i or if it just hasn't been confirmed yet. I think two more sections should be added to the list. 480i and 4:3, that way, if you see a X under the 480i and no X under 480p, then you know that the game doesn't feature progressive scan.

Also, I can say with absolute certainty that Spongebob is 480p, cause I played it on my Princeton Graphics and if it wasn't 480p it wouldn't work. Not sure if it was true widescreen or not.
post #82 of 217 Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM

Anthony1: first quetion, ar you NTSC or PAL region because it differs as you can tell by my CoD3 is 480i message. And most games here have a TV-symbol with HDTV/EDTV written in it if it supports 480p.
My setup is similar though I use a Component To VGA adapter instead of a computer card.
post #83 of 217 Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxInTheJack View Post

Anthony1: first quetion, ar you NTSC or PAL region because it differs as you can tell by my CoD3 is 480p message. And most games here have a TV-symbol with HDTV/EDTV written in it if it supports 480p.
My setup is similar though I use a Component To VGA adapter instead of a computer card.

I'm NTSC. My Princeton Graphics AF3.0 HD monitor is somewhat unusual, in the fact that it has two wide-band component inputs on the back, but these component inputs won't accept a 480i signal. The Signal must be 480p, 720p or 1080i. I think 540p is fine too. But anytime I would use a PS2 or GameCube or Xbox 1 or whatever with this monitor's component inputs, if the game wasn't 480p, then I would just get a scrambled signal. So I would always have to keep up to date on which games didn't offer 480p, cause if I wanted to play them in that room, I'd be SOL. That's why I'm trying to find out for sure which Wii games definitely don't support 480p for the USA NTSC Wii systems.

I've heard a number of times that Rayman Raving Rabids and Trauma Center: Second Edition both only offer 480i, so I've avoided renting either game, because if I did, I would get a scrambled signal on my Princeton Graphics monitor. Of course I can use them on one of the other TV's in my house, but I prefer to see 480p stuff. To be honest, I'm very dissapointed that we are going thru this same crap with the Wii. I thought that once we got past the GameCube, PS2 and Xbox 1 era, 480i would be a thing of the past. I figured that EVERY game would have 480p and 16:9 support as a baseline standard. Of course, this isn't the case with the Wii. At least with the PS3 and Xbox 360 we don't have this problem. I'm hoping against hope that this is just an oversight and that future Wii games will all be 480p and 16:9, but I'm seriously doubting that we will be that fortunate. Nintendo is going to have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the High Def era. Also, I want to say that I'm not one of those guys that are crying because all we get is 480p max. I'm fine with 480p. 480p and 16:9 can look damn good. Sure, I would love higher resolutions, but I'm not going to bitch and moan about it. But please, for the love of all that is Holy, give us 480p and 16:9 for EVERTY GAME!
post #84 of 217 Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Well, I've heard on several occasions that Rayman Raving Rabids isn't 480p

I just checked, and it is 480i.

-Dan
post #85 of 217 Old 01-21-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

I just checked, and it is 480i.

-Dan

BTW I edited my original message, wanted to say CoD3 PAL is 480i not 480p.
Dan, do you have the NTSC version? The PAL version is 480p. Another thing I don't understand.

1) CoD3 NTSC is 480p. PAL isn't. The release date for the PAL region was after NTSC.
2) Rayman PAL is 480p. NTSC isn't. The release date for the NTSC region was before PAL.

This is why the PAL/NTSC regions suck. I don't know one person that owns a TV that cannot display both PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz. Why differentiate anymore? They both look **** compared to 480p anyway.
Now the first example, so the first released NTSC version has 480p, so why couldn't this be integrated into the PAL version?
The second example it could be possible that tey just didn't finish the 480p development by the NTSC release date. Well then push the game back.

Nintendo should force companies into 480p.
post #86 of 217 Old 01-21-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxInTheJack View Post

Dan, do you have the NTSC version?

NTSC version. And you're correct -- it doesn't make any sense.

-Dan
post #87 of 217 Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Hi all,

I will not lie when I say that I am a complete newbie when it comes to all things HD. For the time being, I will be picking up a wii due to it's "simpler" nature graphics wise. That and the fact that it will be a long ways off before I am able to afford a true HDTV in addition to either of the other two next gen consoles. But don't get me wrong, I've been an avid nintendo fan since I was 3. I mean no disrespect to the console.

The video/audio connections which I am remotely familiar with are composite, component, S-video, HDMI, and DVI. I only know a little about the analog vs digital connection. I have a 4:3 tv but it does support 480p ("enhanced def" tv I guess is the euphemism they use for it?). However, I also have a laptop that's coincidentally bigger than my tv (19 inches vs 15; the latter was an uexpected graduation gift).

I was wondering if it would still be worth getting component cables if the vast majority games being released are expected to natively be 16x9 widescreen. Will the picture be cropped out if I use the 4:3 non-hd tv to play 16x9 games? Or will it just look awkward as some games on my ps2 were (ala FF12), albeit with sharper looking graphics via the component cables?

The next question I have will be more difficult to answer. I have heard of a connection called VGA/SVGA which I will not even pretend to understand what they stand for. However, I believe I have heard of VGA connectors which allow for gaming through computer monitors (although I have also heard VGA is what is used to hook up an Xbox 360 to a tv to get 1080p running with it's lack of HDMI...is VGA synonomous with component cables?) . I was wondering if it would be possible via the inputs on my laptop to hook a wii up to it via adapters/etc. I don't know of any obvious inputs my laptop monitor has, however, as I only know it has S-video and DVI out ports. But even if it is theoretically possible, will the graphics look as good as they would on a TV (I have a 256 meg graphics card and am running at 1920x1200 -- WUXGA if I understand correctly) I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 if that helps.

Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for the help. I am a newbie video/audiophile in the making ^_^. Any and all input is much appreciated.
post #88 of 217 Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcecil32 View Post

I was wondering if it would still be worth getting component cables if the vast majority games being released are expected to natively be 16x9 widescreen.

Component cables aren't necessary to get widescreen output from the Wii. The real benefit to the component cables is the superior color reproduction they offer. They also allow you to run the games at 480p instead of 480i. But with the video processors (deinterlacers) in today's TV's being fairly good, this won't be as dramatic a benefit as the superior color.

Quote:

Will the picture be cropped out if I use the 4:3 non-hd tv to play 16x9 games?

No. The reason it won't is that all games that support 16:9 output also support 4:3. So, if you select 4:3 in your Wii setup menu, you will be all set. And just FYI, if you did select 16:9 the picture would not actually be cropped, but instead if would be squished horizontally.

Quote:

However, I believe I have heard of VGA connectors which allow for gaming through computer monitors

Yes they do. But the Wii does not support this type of output (at least not officially - there may be a hack). Also note that some computer monitors also support component, composite, or s-video input.

Quote:

is VGA synonomous with component cables?

In short: no.

Quote:

I was wondering if it would be possible via the inputs on my laptop to hook a wii up to it via adapters/etc.

No. No traditional laptop accepts any type of video input. Any video connectors on laptop are for output, not input. This may begin to change very soon; I believe Sony has released or intends to release laptops with the capablity to accept a video signal from an outside source, effectively allowing the screen to double as a multipurpose monitor.
post #89 of 217 Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Ah i misworded the top one. I knew that component cables are what change the image from interlaced to progressive...I guess I should have phrased it as does 480p look noticeably better on a 4:3 display than it would on a 16x9 (even if you run games on 4:3). Since it seems almost everything these days is going the way of widescreen, I guess I was just thinking that 480p on a 4:3 tv would be somewhat...obsolete (even when running the games in a 4:3 mode)? But the rest of your post were things I did not know for sure and just sort of made stabs at the dark at. Thanks for the response as that officially clarifies a lot. Well, I guess I just found a use for my would be useless tv!

(Sorry if some of the questions were stupid/obvious; it feels good and is helpful to have clarification from people who know what they're talking about)
post #90 of 217 Old 02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcecil32 View Post

I guess I should have phrased it as does 480p look noticeably better on a 4:3 display than it would on a 16x9 (even if you run games on 4:3).

That would depend on the display technology (i.e. LCD, CRT, plasma, DLP, etc.) more than anything else.

So, for example, if you have an old 4:3 CRT television, and it has component inputs, then you'll likely get a pretty good picture. On the other hand, if you have a 4:3 LCD TV, it might not look too hot.
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page