Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 217 Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

And the 50 people waiting there for one will be very happy to see you.

Yes. Yes they will.

I did decide to return it. It's still in my hands, but it's all boxed and ready to go back. So I guess I'll make somebody very happy, which is only right, as the Wii let me down like no console since the Atari 5200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 217 Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1978 View Post

Yes. Yes they will.

I did decide to return it. It's still in my hands, but it's all boxed and ready to go back. So I guess I'll make somebody very happy, which is only right, as the Wii let me down like no console since the Atari 5200.

Sorry to hear that.

Anyway, back to Super Paper Mario.
post #123 of 217 Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Liked: 10
You guys need to be patient...The Wii is only 6 months old. Once developers grasp the new hardware, we will be seeing virtually every game in 16X9 and 480P. Wait a few months for Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy before you judge system's abilities.

post #124 of 217 Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as the Wii let me down like no console since the Atari 5200.

Now THERE's a blast from the past. I actually liked the 5200, but it sure was quirky, and there was plenty wrong with it. Thanks for making me smile!

Seriously, though, if the Wii disappointed you, you're expectations are just too high. One thing I've learned from my wife is that if you lower your expectations, your level of enjoyment will increase dramatically. The only other option, to quote a line from the Princess Bride, is to "get used to disappointment."

-Dan

PS: And yes, that's why she hasn't left me, even after 21 years of marriage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 217 Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 PM

2 more to put on the master list.

First is Wii Play. It's full-fledged widescreen with no underscan.

Now, the disappointment: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. Just got it home and popped it in and, like Super Paper Mario, it has the black bars on the side.

*Sigh*

I was sure they'd get rid of the underscan for a classic like RE4.
post #126 of 217 Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Now, the disappointment: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. Just got it home and popped it in and, like Super Paper Mario, it has the black bars on the side.

*Sigh*

that is a dissapointment . . . oh well cant wait to play it.
post #127 of 217 Old 06-23-2007, 04:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that the games with widescreen that do not fill up correctly, often (always?) have inaccurate aspect ratio and in fact are somewhat squized.

I belive this to be true with most Gamecube games (Burnout for example) but also Wii games such as Marvel ultimate alliance, Resident evil 4 and SSX Blur. Compared to the games played in 4:3 display with correct proportions on my 16:9 tv (pillarbox) the 16:9 mode in these games are significantly more narrow than in 4:3. Go on and check it out for your self.

In fact the picture is so much squished that it would not be enough to stretch only to fill up the screen, rahter it would be necessery to stretch it so much as to fill up the screen and normal overscan. Only then would the game have right proportions.

I surprised i have not seen anyone complaining about this anywhere. I am not the least bothered by that the games do not fill up correct. But i am furious about the wrong aspect ratio! Marvel ultimate alliance was outright unplayble - the charactes were so narrow and looked like a joke.

I think this is more than simply underscan, in that case we should have black bars on the bottom and top and that is only true for pal games (due to more lines in that standard - 576 instead of 480)

I cannot come up with any explaination WHY they make the games like this. I would very much appreciate if someone with some insight in making of games could explain it. I do understand why games are jaggie as hell, and why games sometimes use dithering or other substandard color tricks, or why there are a lot of tearing in the games. I also understand that it can be painful to make a 16:9 mode and why it is thus left out.

I do not however understand why they make these "15:9" games with squished aspect ratio. Because as we all know, some games works perfectly fine.
post #128 of 217 Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy84 View Post

In fact the picture is so much squished that it would not be enough to stretch only to fill up the screen, rahter it would be necessery to stretch it so much as to fill up the screen and normal overscan. Only then would the game have right proportions.

Yep.

Quote:
I think this is more than simply underscan, in that case we should have black bars on the bottom and top and that is only true for pal games (due to more lines in that standard - 576 instead of 480)

The term "underscan" can apply to any side(s) of the screen. It doesn't have to mean all of them at once.

I think that your first statement pretty much sums it up. The games are just grossly underscanned in the horizontal direction. They are designed to have the proper aspect ratio when displayed with the expected 3% overscan or so on all sides. Instead, not only do they not have any horizontal overscan, but they are actually significantly underscanned. Meanwhile, in the vertical direction, the overscan is present as expected, and this leaves you with a squished image.

Quote:
I cannot come up with any explaination WHY they make the games like this.

Nor can I. I think it is honestly a matter of not understanding the console video hardware properly, and not testing on enough different displays. There are plenty of people in the industry that do not understand the concept of rectangular pixels and anamorphic widescreen fully. Of course all of that could be aleviated if Nintendo supported HD output - at least 720p.
post #129 of 217 Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Does anyone play wii on the Sammy 5054? can you adjust out the underscan?
post #130 of 217 Old 07-20-2007, 02:30 PM

I wish Nintendo would put out an update already that fixed this... I was googling this problem and found this post, seems to be the one place where people are vocal about it.
post #131 of 217 Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:

First is Wii Play. It's full-fledged widescreen with no underscan.

*Sigh*

I dont have black bars for either game. You sure you have it set to widescreen?
post #132 of 217 Old 07-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbobarry View Post

I dont have black bars for either game. You sure you have it set to widescreen?

What tv are you playing on?
post #133 of 217 Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Ok, I am guessing that the next Metroid game will be progressive scan 480P without the black bars. I just rolled in metroid 2 into my wii to see, and they put so many adjustments in that game, you should not have trouble with IR or black bars or anything. You can stretch the screen, you can dim the hud, you can dim the visor, all sorts of adjustments. So I look forward to the game comming out.
post #134 of 217 Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post

Ok, I am guessing that the next Metroid game will be progressive scan 480P without the black bars. I just rolled in metroid 2 into my wii to see, and they put so many adjustments in that game, you should not have trouble with IR or black bars or anything. You can stretch the screen, you can dim the hud, you can dim the visor, all sorts of adjustments. So I look forward to the game comming out.

MP3: Corruption will be 16:9.

But yeah, I always played the first two Prime games stretched to 16:9 because I felt they actually looked better that way. Everything looked squished otherwise, even though I know that was the intended aspect ratio. Odd.

Super Mario Strikers Charged, out today, is 16:9, and from what I've read, it escapes the underscan issues that have plagued other titles.
post #135 of 217 Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. Yes they will.

What was wrong with the 5200? I got that when it came out, it was the best....at the time.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #136 of 217 Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM

I've Cod3 and vanguard (PAL on samsung 215tw via component) and it's not 480p only sports is.
post #137 of 217 Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Got Strikers Charged, and I can confirm: no underscan.

Great game.
post #138 of 217 Old 08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

What Nintendo has done with Mario Party 8 is absolutely atrocious for anyone with an HD TV. Not only is the game play not widescreen (though the splash screen and menu is) but instead of giving simple black pillar box or even better would have been some gray pillar boxes, they border the 4:3 game with a checkered like pattern. You can't get rid of it. Zooming in doesn't get rid of it even. What I have to do is reset my Wii to 4:3 and then let it be stretched by the TV. Frustrating. Does Nintendo hate HD plasma owners?
post #139 of 217 Old 08-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishingdad View Post

What Nintendo has done with Mario Party 8 is absolutely atrocious for anyone with an HD TV. Not only is the game play not widescreen (though the splash screen and menu is) but instead of giving simple black pillar box or even better would have been some gray pillar boxes, they border the 4:3 game with a checkered like pattern. You can't get rid of it. Zooming in doesn't get rid of it even. What I have to do is reset my Wii to 4:3 and then let it be stretched by the TV. Frustrating. Does Nintendo hate HD plasma owners?

That damn border on the 4:3 screens is one of the reasons my son and I have to really limit our playing. It will linger for a bit before it goes away, so I don't want to push it too much.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #140 of 217 Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Do what I do. When the kids want to play MP8 I first go to the Wii setup, change the screen setting to 4:3 then play the game. There will then be no annoying bars. Let your TV stretch the game, after all it's silly little animations anyway, so it's not a big deal that they are a bit more pudgy than normal.

Still, it really irritates me. In my opinion, since so many new TVs are wide screen these days, even the smaller sets, all games should be wide screen friendly. It is the 21st century after all.
post #141 of 217 Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpibe View Post

i have the same problem with super paper mario, the game is 16:9 and shows 2 side bars on the left & right, my tv is a samsung lcd 32", zelda & wii sports are fine also they dont have issues with sidebars

Anyone seen this issue on Madden 08, know that madden 07 has the bars, at least on my set.
post #142 of 217 Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't purchased Madden 08, but one of it's features is supposed to be 16:9
post #143 of 217 Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM

In this Comparison of Wii Games article on wikipedia, I've added a column to confirm whether or not a a title is affected from underscan.. Please feel free to populate this chart with more info, I've started it off with Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball and, Wii Sports and Wii Play.
post #144 of 217 Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 AM

metroid prime 3 curruptions from the ign review:

The game also runs in progressive-scan and, for the first time, in 16:9 widescreen mode. The widescreen resolution is not exactly 854x480, but something closer to 825x470, which means that it may show some thin black borders on your screen.

post #145 of 217 Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM

854x480 =/= 16:9
825x470 =/= 16:9

WTF? I understand 480 is right (480p after all), but what is the correct width and what sort of ****ed up ratio is that?
post #146 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM

I am looking to buy the Wii, and was wondering if I will see a difference if I buy the component connection assy and set it to 480P. I have the Sony KDL-46V2500.
Thanks
post #147 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawnee View Post

I am looking to buy the Wii, and was wondering if I will see a difference if I buy the component connection assy and set it to 480P. I have the Sony KDL-46V2500.
Thanks

You will see a difference regardless of whether you set it to 480p. The primary reason to buy the cable is for the vastly superior color reproduction it will offer. 480p is just a bonus, although you may notice little difference between it and 480i.
post #148 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 AM

just got metroid prime 3, i can confirm that it has underscan (black side boarders only).
post #149 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniefrizzle View Post

just got metroid prime 3, i can confirm that it has underscan (black side boarders only).

Hopefully you'll all forgive as I give another wringing endorsement for my Panasonic commercial plasma (which can be had _extremely cheap_ these days if you check forum sponsors). I have all but completely forgotten about the underscan issue - I just adjust the picture size using the controls on the remote, and completely eliminate the underscan. Even the old N64 Paper Mario on virtual console won't underscan if I set the display to "Just" mode (which is a little distracting, but livable), and that is the most grossly undescanned game that was ever created I think.
post #150 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniefrizzle View Post

Metroid 2 had options to stretch the screen. Look at the options menu and see if you can stretch the screen.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page