Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings to all of you..
Some update, if you like..
I have checked the Resident Evil Umbrella Cronicles and in other tv sets and it has indeed underscan....
So, both Resi for wii have underscan...

BUT, Zack n Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure doesn't have and that is so refreshing...Go buy that title now!!

Reminder that i am talking about the Pal versions of the games..
Thanx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one protesting the 16x9 horizontal underscan issues from the Wii. I've written to WiiFanboy, IGN, and even Nintendo about the subject to light a fire for the cause, but no one seems to care. Funny to think it bothers people so much that they end up playing it 4x3 on their 16x9 televisions. I may end up doing that. My problem is worse than most because I have a CRT HDTV with less than perfect geometry on the far edges. Those black bars on the underscaned edges aren't even straight on my tv. How annoying is that?!!! (4x3 edges are fine, however.)

Come on, Nintendo! Wii Sports and Zelda came out fine. You need to QA 3rd party game developers. Why make the 16x9 owners suffer? Lame. Very lame.

By the way - I just rented NO MORE HEROES. Yep. Underscan.

Remember, you're unique...just like everyone else.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Does Super Mario Galaxy have underscan? I can't find a definitive answer. The spreadsheet attached to the first post doesn't have a "yes" or a "no" under the "underscan" column for SMG.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 AM

On the note of the spreadsheet, does anyone know where Naylia is? The spreadsheet was last updated in late November, and Naylia hasn't made a single post here since then. I'm tempted to update the sheet with all the new information myself since they don't seem to be too interested in returning to the site.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The link to the spreadsheet seems to have expired as well. I did a quick search and found a short list of games that are sorted by Non 480p, Non 16x9 and Non Underscan

http://www.cubed3.com/topic/18769

If anyone can find a true master list... having this thread is pretty useless if we cant update a spreadsheet..heh. There was one solution about starting a wikipedia page. I've never done that before but it sounds relatively simple..and reasonable..
Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So, I know i've been gone a while and my hosting provider will be changing so I'll try and update with the last couple months of comments and rehost it this week. I'll post when it's good to go.

I started grad school in the fall and it has been a complete drain on my time. I'm finally getting back to hitting the forums up every now and then
Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Hey Naylia!

Glad to see ya back. Let us know if there's anything anyone can do to help. It's certainly not a priority by any means to update the wii games list...however, it does seem a little bit more important being that there is nowhere I can find on the net that has a comparable list except for the exclusion list i posted above...

So, like i said, let us know if we can help compile any info..

and thank you! good luck w/ grad school....
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know if No More Heros and Ghost Squad support 480p and 16:9?Do you guys think that House of the Dead will? Really looking forward to that one.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 AM

Why aren't you guys just using http://hdgames.net/ ? Every game is listed there and kept up to date.

No More Heroes is 16:9 and 480p.

Ghost Squad is 480p but not 16:9.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Just tried Super Pario Mario on my 42" LG plasma set at 16:9 with components and noticed the vertifcal black bars. There is no feature on the set to zoom or stretch to eliminate these bars. Any plasma's that will do this? I won't be changing tv's for this issue but i'm just curious. I still watch alot of SD stations so an LCD was out of the question when it was purchase one year ago. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

Why aren't you guys just using http://hdgames.net/ ? Every game is listed there and kept up to date.

No More Heroes is 16:9 and 480p.

Ghost Squad is 480p but not 16:9.

That list isn't anywhere near being complete.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 PM

Attention to the otaku following this thread:

According to this article, Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2 will have 16:9 and 480p support when it comes out this fall. I was annoyed that the first Revolution lacked even 480p support, but I guess Eighting/Tomy finally realized what the Wii was capable of.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Here is the Wii list. I have not updated it in ages. If anyone wants to update it please feel free. I can host it, or I can modify the link in the first post as necessary to reference whoever is hosting/updating.

Nintendo Wii Games - 480p, 16x9 & PLII.xls.zip 5.0517578125k . file
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukes View Post

Has anyone compared the same scene in Zelda in both 16:9 and 4:3 mode? Curious to see if there is more information on the sites in 16:9, or do they just matte the 4:3 mode (which I doubt)?

4:3 on the Gamecube

16:9 on the Wii

Seems like a widened view angle.

I'm not a Mac. I'm not a PC. I'm a person and I use computers.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Ordinarily I would decry such an epically late response, but wow, nice images. Yours? I forgot how good Twilight Princess can look sometimes.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
And I don't even own Twilight Princess (bad Wii owner! BAD!!). But that's some pretty sweet eye candy - even @ 480p. Guess I should see about digging up a copy, eh?

Looks wise, how does this stack up overall to the Link's Crossbow Training? It has sme nice looking stuff & assume it's roughly the same, graphics-wise, as TP.

Not being a graphics whore - the gameplay itself is paramount. Just askin'

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Hi,
Anybody knows what time does the Wii console connect to the internet to update content?

Can you limit the time window to connect?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeE View Post

Hi,
Anybody knows what time does the Wii console connect to the internet to update content?

Can you limit the time window to connect?

I've found the blue light come on around 11:00 pm - 12:00am PST.

AFAIK, no way to limit the “when".

If it's standby heat that's the concern, the cheap USB Wii fans help quite a bit. Have one I grabbed @ Circuit City for $5. Keeps it cool very well.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM

I was wondering if we could add a FPS (frames per second) column to the list as the difference between 15, 30, and 60 fps is very important to me.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 AM

Monopoly and Dead Rising(JAP) also suffer from underscan in 16x9 mode. It's very annoying to me. BOO!!! I can't imagine how bad it is on others monitors. My 42" LG LCD suffers from crappy overscan through component. Guess it's sort of a blessing this time.

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM

recently released Mad World looks like it does not support 16:9. bummer at lest it has 480p
Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glair View Post

recently released Mad World looks like it does not support 16:9. bummer at lest it has 480p

Actually, it's the opposite.

MadWorld is 16x9, albeit with a tad of underscan. Resolution, however, is 480i.

This detail caused a minor stir prior to release, but it turns out that the game's B&W graphics actually looked better (according to devs) interlaced. The B&W stuff, when run @ 480p, had much more aliasing artifacts going on. So, not dev laziness at work here - but done so for BETTER PQ.

In all actuality, MadWorld looks great - one of the most visually interesting titles on any console. You won;t even notice that you are playing a 480i game.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 AM

are you sure? on my tv a good portion of the sides are cut off (my TV does this to non-windscreen sources)

unlike world of goo or Mario Galaxy that show up perfectly.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glair View Post

are you sure? on my tv a good portion of the sides are cut off (my TV does this to non-windscreen sources)

unlike world of goo or Mario Galaxy that show up perfectly.

IF your set is a flat panel w/ essentially zero overscan, you are gonna get some pillarbox bars. Not as large as those one sees on 4:3 video & depending on the TV, YMMV.

Some Wii games - REIV, FOrce Unleashed to a small extent, several WiiWare titles, and others that I have seen have some underscan built in. This'll appear as varying levels of pillarbox bars on the sides of an HD display.

Can't speak of Goo firsthand, but SMG does fill the entire 16x9 image, as most 1st party Wii titles do.

And Madworld is definitely 480i. The game forces the Wii to send 480i once it boots up. Perhaps because you TV senses 480i, it's doing something to the video signal?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone noticed that leaving the wii on 480i (and thus having the TV deinterlace it) produces a significantly better image than having the wii deinterlace and output at 480p? I've also noticed this with my PS2.

I have a Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD TV, by no means expensive or top of the line (I'd even call it bottom of the line!)
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

Has anyone noticed that leaving the wii on 480i (and thus having the TV deinterlace it) produces a significantly better image than having the wii deinterlace and output at 480p? I've also noticed this with my PS2.

I have a Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD TV, by no means expensive or top of the line (I'd even call it bottom of the line!)

Yes. I have heard of some who find 480i/component actually looks the best. Depends on your TV's scaler, really.

In my case, I leave it 480p, since that gives colors a bit more pop. 480i gives a rather slight sense of more "sharpness" so to speak (esp noticable in on screen text - but can look like edge enhancement at times), but colors seem a bit dull.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

So, great, I get mine next week, plan to connect via component thru an Onkyo 606 AVR. Sounds like I get to try 480i/p from the Wii vs upscaling in the AVR vs upscaling via the TV. I will have to do it after hours to keep the wife from getting irritated.
What is the significance of underscan?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

So, great, I get mine next week, plan to connect via component thru an Onkyo 606 AVR. Sounds like I get to try 480i/p from the Wii vs upscaling in the AVR vs upscaling via the TV. I will have to do it after hours to keep the wife from getting irritated.

What is the significance of underscan?

Some Wii games may show small black sidebars or a slightly letterboxed image within a flat panel 16X9 set, depending on how much/litte overscan is dialed into your TV settings @ the factory.

CRT sets generally had overscan inherently built in to hide the extreme - and in most cases in the past - far edges never used or containing anything watchable. The HD era has sort of done away w/ that practice. Some 16x9 material was built with overscan in mind - some of this appears in Wii games (usually PS2 ports or GC era titles) when viewed on an LCD or plasma 16x9 screen.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone know if any Wii games actually output wide 480p (720x480)? All of the 480p games I've tested are all 640x480, regardless of 16:9 or 4:3. Hence, it appears that Wii games fake widescreen by rendering to a 640x480 frame buffer with a 16:9 aspect ratio...

I've confirmed that games such as Zelda, and Punch Out only output 640x480 by connecting the component output to a component to RGB converter and connecting to the PC input of my XBR8. The HDTV shows that the signal resolution is 640x480, not 720x480.

In any case, the XRGB-3 does a pretty good job of transcoding the Wii's component output (via official D-Terminal cable).
Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

Does anyone know if any Wii games actually output wide 480p (720x480)? All of the 480p games I've tested are all 640x480, regardless of 16:9 or 4:3. Hence, it appears that Wii games fake widescreen by rendering to a 640x480 frame buffer with a 16:9 aspect ratio...

I've confirmed that games such as Zelda, and Punch Out only output 640x480 by connecting the component output to a component to RGB converter and connecting to the PC input of my XBR8. The HDTV shows that the signal resolution is 640x480, not 720x480.

In any case, the XRGB-3 does a pretty good job of transcoding the Wii's component output (via official D-Terminal cable).

640x480 is the max, IIRC.