S-Video for Wii? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the component cables are hard to find and expensive right now. What are the pros/cons of using S-video compared to component and composite cables?

Also my Sony 50" LCD has the hook-ups for video games on the front of the set with S-video or composite. The component hookups are on the back of the set. Thats no big deal, but I like using the front hookups instead of unplugging and plugging from the rear.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 01:29 PM

They are working real good for me.Iam useing the side hook ups.Iam getting a real clear picture with the AV cable.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

For 480i signals a s-video cable should be virtually indistinguishable from component cables.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #4 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So at 480i would the picture be clearer with S-video then with the composite cables that come with the Wii?
post #5 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845
So at 480i would the picture be clearer with S-video then with the composite cables that come with the Wii?
The picture quality should be clearer, sharper, and have more accurate colours with an S-Video cable. Also, dotcrawling should disappear with the use of an S-Video cable.

Does anyone know if Nintendo will release S-Video cables for Nintendo Wii's in PAL regions? And also, do Wii S-Video cables from America and Japan work in PAL Nintendo Wii's?
post #6 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickeylabel
The picture quality should be clearer, sharper, and have more accurate colours with an S-Video cable. Also, dotcrawling should disappear with the use of an S-Video cable.

Does anyone know if Nintendo will release S-Video cables for Nintendo Wii's in PAL regions? And also, do Wii S-Video cables from America and Japan work in PAL Nintendo Wii's?
A seller on Ebay is selling S-video cables from Hong Kong for about $45 shipped. I don't want to post the link here, the Mods may object. But if you search you'll find them and in the description it says these cables are Japanese and will work with any console, UK,US or Japan. But there's another seller who's description says his cables are from Japan and work with Japanese version only.

So the confusion continues.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-03-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Best Buy at Carefree and Powers in Colorado Springs, CO has third party S-Video cables available for the WII. The brand is React and the price is $19.95, at least according to the Best Buy website. I almost got a set, but then figured that I'd have my new projector in another week or so. I have components which should come in the next couple days.

As far as how S-Video looks compared to composite, I posted some comparative pictures in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758432

I think the difference does justify the use of the phrase "night and day".

Still confused? Read "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" thread!
-Dan

post #8 of 21 Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW
The Best Buy at Carefree and Powers in Colorado Springs, CO has third party S-Video cables available for the WII. The brand is React and the price is $19.95, at least according to the Best Buy website. I almost got a set, but then figured that I'd have my new projector in another week or so. I have components which should come in the next couple days.

As far as how S-Video looks compared to composite, I posted some comparative pictures in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758432

Yep, thats what I wanted to know.... Thank you..
post #9 of 21 Old 12-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks DanLW, for that great screenshot comparision :). I really hope that Nintendo release S-Video Cables here in Australia or in any other PAL region. Does anyone know if the PAL Wii console supports S-Video? As the PAL Gamecube console didn't.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 05:47 AM

Last night i took my Radio Shack AV switch box and pluged the Wii AV wire to it and then ran S-video out of the switch box to the TV S-video in.It works.I really cant tell it there is a change,but it dose work.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr.Rice
Last night i took my Radio Shack AV switch box and pluged the Wii AV wire to it and then ran S-video out of the switch box to the TV S-video in.It works.I really cant tell it there is a change,but it dose work.
Yes this works, but it's not giving you the better picture.
You're basically displaying a very accurate display of the composite picture.

If you don't have component inputs, you should definitely pick up the cheap Wii S-Video cables.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 AM

Iam waiting for them to come in the mail.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr.Rice
Iam waiting for them to come in the mail.
Aren't we all.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon
For 480i signals a s-video cable should be virtually indistinguishable from component cables.
True, but the Wii can output 480p. The component will produce a better picture than S-Video just by doubling the horizontal lines used.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

480p doesn't double horizontal resolution. It simply draws all the lines every frame instead of odds for one frame, evens for the next.

For those of you playing on LCD/Plasma/LCOS/DLP/SXRD displays, the display is displaying a progressive signal. But depending on the quality of you deinterlacer, there will still be artifacts.

What 480p really does for us is eliminate combing artifacts which are hallmarks of 480i signals.

If you look closely, combing shows up as something like the teeth of a comb when you have a high contrast area panning across the screen. From a distance, it smply looks like a blurry line. 480p does not suffer from this.

So really, a 480p signal will look the same as a 480i signal if there is no motion on the screen. Once things start to move, say hello to combing.

Still confused? Read "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" thread!
-Dan

post #16 of 21 Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM

I picked up those React S-vid cables at Best Buy last night as a stopgap solution until Nintendo moves through shipping my component cables at a snail's pace. I haven't played the Wii since launch day - the composite signal looks THAT bad.

I totally agree, the difference over the composites is indeed night and day once I began using the React S-video cable. Well worth the 19.95. Build quality is great as well.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 AM

Hi I live in Australian and picked up a wii the night it came out, I all so managed to get my hands on the s-video and component cables from play Asia before they all sound out.

While the component cables work perfectly (disappointed to see virtual console games don't play in progressive scan) I cant say the same for the s-video cable.

when I plugged the s-video cable directly into my TV I did not get any picture. I later tested the cable on my capture card and while I was able to get an single the image was all distorted and with out colour. I ran my hand down the lead to check to see if any of the wire where broken and all so checked the connection, however the image stayed the same.

I did'nt do much testing of the s-video lead beyond that as as I have perfectly working component cables. I all so haven't found any news of other PAL users having problems with the lead. I can only guess it's ever working fine for others or I was one of thew people in PAL land who's gotten s-video cable for the wii.

has any PAL Wii users gotten the japan s-video lead for the wii yet and does it work for you?
post #18 of 21 Old 12-12-2006, 03:31 AM

I have the US React s-video cables and the dot crawl was totally eliminated as well as clearer picture with better color after changing cables from composite. The React cable is more duable and was worth the $20 imo.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
480p doesn't double horizontal resolution. It simply draws all the lines every frame instead of odds for one frame, evens for the next.
Not neccessarily true...I'm pretty sure that the 480i is at 60 Hz, but you are assuming that the 480p is at 30 Hz. 480p can be either 60 Hz or 30 Hz (50 Hz and 25 Hz in PAL land). 480p60 is double the resolution of 480i60.

Edit: Thinking some more about it the 480p must be at 60Hz otherwise we probably would be hearing about refresh rate issues in games.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

480p may have twice the bandwidth of 480i since it draws all lines every frame, but it is the same overall resolution. Otherwise it would be 960p. With 480i, you still get all the information you would get with a 480p signal - it just takes twice as long to draw all the lines, and as a result motion artifacts (combing) become visible in the form of blur on smaller screens, and combing on larger screens. (you can see the combing on smaller screens, you just have to be really close)

Still confused? Read "
" thread!
-Dan

post #21 of 21 Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
480p may have twice the bandwidth of 480i since it draws all lines every frame, but it is the same overall resolution. Otherwise it would be 960p. With 480i, you still get all the information you would get with a 480p signal - it just takes twice as long to draw all the lines, and as a result motion artifacts (combing) become visible in the form of blur on smaller screens, and combing on larger screens. (you can see the combing on smaller screens, you just have to be really close)
You are correct that 480i will lead to combing artifacts with low quality video processing. It will also mean at least a 16ms video delay that might make a difference in "twitch" games.

You description of 480i vs 480p is wrong though... 480i does not give you all the detail that 480p, you would only get the same picture on either IF the image is static and not moving. With moving images 480p provides 2x the vertical detail.

Needless to say, with the number of games during release that can actually DO 480p and with s-video providing 99% of the quality possible in the 480i format it seems like a more than adequate stop-gap measure for most people.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page