Nintendo "might" be about to flood the market with Wii systems starting Sunday - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokisan
After this morning I wouldn't exactly say 'flood' the market unfortunately...

Yeah, I drove all around town today, and yes, the flood definitely hasn't happened yet.....key word being YET. There is a chance that this shortage is actually legit, and not like the Nintendo 64 in 1996. But, the thing is, it's still 9 more days till Xmas. The Nintendo 64 flood happened somewhere between 5 and 8 days or so before Xmas.

I can definitely see a scenario in which a bunch of shipments of Wii's happen on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then another huge amount of shipments on Friday. One way or another, we are going to find out if this shortage is actually real or not, very soon. If we get to Thursday, and it's still impossible to get a Wii, then the shortage is definiltey legit. But if tons of them come in on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then another huge Surge on Friday and Saturday, then maybe this really is a strategic shortage. The key thing though, is there has to be a HUGE shipment on Tuesday and Wednesday, and it's starting to look more and more like maybe it ain't gonna happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frankly, I don't see the need of building conspiration theory.

Nintendo is probably doing all it can to put units on the market, since day one and especially before christmas.

And when you think about it, all in all, they are doing a decent job.
I don't see many products out there that are pouring like that hundreds of thousands of units every week all around the US and now all around the world.

And, I am saying that while being one of the unlucky who still doesn't have its Wii despite the fact that I have been trying every week (no lining up though).

So, come on, give us a break with the big conspiracy thing....
post #63 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermile
Did some last minute shopping this morning and there were lines for the wii. Best Buy had 15, Target had 15 and GS had 7. Good thing I wasn't looking for one or I would have been out of luck.

And what is it with the Nintendo DS?? People were waiting in line for those as well.
Can't find 'em anywhere...especially the pink ones. Surprising because it has been around for a while, but not surprising in the sense that IMO, it is the best game console with the most appealing software lineup for this christmas, for kids in particular.
post #64 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pink DS's were just released.
post #65 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1
But if tons of them come in on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then another huge Surge on Friday and Saturday, then maybe this really is a strategic shortage. The key thing though, is there has to be a HUGE shipment on Tuesday and Wednesday, and it's starting to look more and more like maybe it ain't gonna happen.
Well if that is their strategy it is now starting to backfire. I just bought a bunch of 360 garb instead today.
post #66 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I was just in the NYC TRS in Time Square looking for an extra controller for the Wii I purchased at launch they only had NunChucks damn. I over heard an employee talking to a lady saying that they will be handing out tickets tomorrow morning at 6am and they she needed to get in line which will start to form at 11pm tonight in order to get one. WTF I thought TRS had Wii's today but now they are not selling them until tomorrow.

Rob
post #67 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I was lucky this morning. Shopko had them in their flyer, so I went there just before 7:00 am. No line, I went in and they said they didn't have any...I said it was in your flyer...no luck.

I was about to go to Best Buy (they open at 8:00), but decided to swing by Target. There was a small line. I got there just as the manager was handing out tickets. I was about 18th, and they had 21 in stock. Took my ticket, went back to Shopko, got Zelda.

Went back to Target about 10 minutes before they opened. I heard that some people were at Best Buy earlier. Best Buy had 18 units, and there were 50 people in line by 6:00 am. Good thing I went to Target.

Anyway, Target didn't have any extra controllers, so I went to Best Buy, picked up a Wii-mote and nunchuk. Only bad thing is this is an Xmas gift, so I can't play it for a week!
post #68 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 PM

I was bound and determined to get one today and refused to camp out. I devised a decent plan of attack, there were about 6 stores with Wiis within a couple miles of eachother with staggerred opening times. Left the house about 6:30am and the line was already huge at Target, about 40 had camped and there must have been 75 more so I headed to Best Buy. About 50-60 people in front of me so I thought there may be a chance. Before long people from Circuit City came and said they only had 5, then Target people...they only got 12. About 7am, a BB guy came out and said they had 24, many people didnt bother to leave...no clue why.

I bolted over to TRU and the line there was over 200, mix of Elmo, PS3 and mostly Wii. VERY AGGRESSIVE line, I got there when they announced they had 32 Wiis and some lady was screaming that someone had cut (she was 33 for the Wii)...I didnt even bother to get out of the car.

Next plan of attack, the EB Games across from TRU, but many of the stragglers had headed over there, prolly 25 or so and itrackr didnt indicate stock. It is now about 7:20 and I am at my last resort of attack. My wife used to work at the mall and I know that while the mall is technically closed, there is one entrance that has a door on the far right open. There is a Gamestop in the mall and itrackr indicated that at about 12:30am they checked in stock (gotten false alarms in the past). I go into the mall and I am second in line in front of GS. About 10 minutes later another then another. When the mall officially opens at 9am, line grows to about 40. At 9:30 the GS employee shows up and says he has 9 systems and plenty of Wiimotes and nunchucks to go with them. SCORE!

I was especially happy that it was gamers and parents, not re-sellers, who snagged all these GS units. I felt bad for the people who camped at Target or waited elsewhere for a long time who wanted one for themself but didnt get one but this is NOT Nintendo's fault, it is the ebay/craigslist re-sellers fault. The number of Wiis on ebay jumped 400% today, guess we know who snagged most the Wiis around the country.

My only bad experience of the day was someone who was trying to hold an auction for one they already had in the Best Buy line, that was pretty tacky. Ultimately, Best Buy asked them politely to leave, which was best anyway as they were trying to get $750.

For the record, I have not owned a Nintendo console since the NES (not including handhelds). I was a Sega guy and a die-hard Sony guy. I passed on the 360 as I already loved the Xbox and didnt see the point as I was going to get PS3. I did get a PS3 and sold it (at cost), same games with better graphics just arent more fun. The Wii is an entirely new experience that is fun for everyone, gamer or not. I WILL get a PS3 eventually but not until the game line-up is more solid.

ash =o)

"Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist needs to have his head checked..."
post #69 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 07:39 PM

congrats~!

i _could_ have gotten up to get a wii or two to resell since i already have one....but seriously.

I didnt get one opening day, so nearly every day i'd stop at places and ask...i'd look online every day for info on shipments.....then i finally found this forum and someone released the shipment info for units at all the CC locations, and picked the one that gave me the best shot, and i didnt even camp! i showed up about 2 hours before opening, got my ticket, left and grabbed breakfast...came back at opening and voila!

i dont really blame the resellers, though. I blame the people who will still buy them at inflated prices when all it takes is dilligence. look what happened to [most of] the PS3 scalpers. they got what was coming to them.

people shouldnt buy these consoles off ebay...hell, i wouldnt even attempt it for fear of it being a scam even if i DID have that much money to blow.
post #70 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM

I doubt there will be a flood, seems like a genuine shortage, but then again one the retailers love.

Best Buy holding back the units for sale until today was IMO deplorable, trying to create the hype. I asked the BB guys a couple of times last week if they were getting any and all they would say is "I don't know". They told me Target was getting units on Sunday, I should try there. So I show up at 4:30 am and get in line at Target only to find out about 2 hours later their allotment was less than the 20 units they said they would have. One lady was yelling at the store manager, calling the guy in front of her a liar because he picked up the last 3 units claiming his kids were from another family. Ah, great to see the Christmas spirit in full bloom....

I just want to buy one for my kids because it looks like a great gift, and a lot of fun. But the last thing in the world I will ever do is pay some scum on Ebay 2x retail price just because they front load the lines and buy up all the available units. I bet over 1/2 the people in line today were re-sellers, the other half people actually wanting to buy for their kids.

So if the market does get flooded this week and all the Ebay scum re-sellers get squashed holding their inventory which was earned by sitting on their asses in lines overnight, it would be great!
post #71 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltv
So if the market does get flooded this week and all the Ebay scum re-sellers get squashed holding their inventory which was earned by sitting on their asses in lines overnight, it would be great!
we can only hope.

when i stopped by my CCa few weeks ago to pick up my voucher, there were about 6 guys all in a group talking about how they would go about ebaying them..they had all the shipping, paypal, and ebay fees down to a science and how much they'd need it to sell for to make a good profit.

i ended up getting one anyway, but i really felt sorry for all the people who left the store asking me how i got mine and how htey waited in line and didn't get one..

when i was leaving the store the counter had about 3 people yelling at them complaining how they didnt get one and htey showed up even before i did. :/ my CC got 24 units that day and if 6 [that im SURe of] were bought up by scalpers, then that's 1/4 of the store's units right there! i doubt that many legit people that wanted them as gifts got them :(
post #72 of 84 Old 12-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada
when i was leaving the store the counter had about 3 people yelling at them complaining how they didnt get one and htey showed up even before i did. (
The complainers are crybabies. If they had gotten there at 7:00 AM and waited until 8:30 AM they might have scored a voucher. As it was, when the vouchers were handed out, the winners just took a coffee break. They re-appeared on line a half hour before opening (10 AM). By then, others had "seemingly" lined up in front of them. But these unfortunate souls had already lost out on vouchers. The race goes to the real early birds.
post #73 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman
The following is moot since you were able to buy a Wii--congrats BTW on someone else's misfortune turning into your lucky break!--but, how was this guy able to even get the opportunity to attempt to buy two Wiis in the first place? IIRC the BB ad stated one ticket per customer; clearly this guy managed to wind up w/ two if he was being told that he should give one of his vouchers to you. :confused:

If indeed this guy somehow managed to get two vouchers...too bad his first credit card went through... ;)

The guy had his young son with him so he was handed 2 vouchers, the same thing happened with a women who brought her son also. Their policy was one per customer and one per credit card. Obviously the two kids didn't have their own credit cards so they shouldn't have been given two vouchers, but they were.

Your right it's all moot because I did get one, but I was still pissed that they allowed those two families 2 vouchers each, even though they couldn't use them per BB's rules, and they allowed them to try to sell the vouchers to the other unfortunate people still standing in line without a voucher.

Not much Christmas spirit with those 2 individuals, trying to make $50. from others in line for a damn voucher. BB should have stepped in, I mean it was their policy. I'll tell you what, this was my first time ever waiting in line for anything and it will be my last. I just can't believe how some people are, especially on Christmas.
post #74 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A co-worker of mine here was looking for a Wii, so I told him to check the store Sunday (yesterday). He went to BBy around 6am and was #25 in line. About 5 minutes before the store opened, they passed out vouchers, but they only had 12 in stock. He then ran over to GameStop and was #16 inline. BUT, they too only had 12 in stock. :(
post #75 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 07:54 AM

I got to my local Target at about 6:30, there were about 50 people in line. The first 10-20 clearly had been there all night. 15 minutes later they handed out tickets for 15 consoles. Not surprised, but definitely bummed.

On a whim, I decided to stop by an EB Games that is in a mall near where I work. Got there at 7:00 and there were only 3 people in line. I assumed that they had already been given tickets and the other 9 were off getting coffee. BUT NO! The employees hadn't even shown up yet!

By 8:00, when the employees arrived, there were only 6-7 in line! THEY HAD 12 CONSOLES. People started trickling in before the 9:00 open and were amazed when they found out there were more tickets to be passed out.

Everyone except the first two in line had been shut out somewhere else, usually Target. There was this feeling of euphoria in the air. Pretty f-ing stupid if you think about it, but it did feel like some sort of christmas miracle.

The first one on line was a 14 year old kid who had been there since 4:30. His dad showed up at 7:30.

The EB Games employee was rediculous. "Support" people (friends, relatives) had to stay away from the line, and you had to stay in the line even though he gave out tickets (or change places with a support person). He did manage to work in how he was the preferred "line control" employee because he had a black belt. :rolleyes: I wanted to ask him if he was related to Dwight Schrute but I didn't want to lose my ticket.

I feel like this is my crowning moment as a parent, and I am only sort of joking when I say that.
post #76 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Pink DS's are in heavy demand? Walmart here has got about 15-20 of them sitting under the games in the display case....I noticed Walmart here pulled the gamecubes their were about 8 of them with Mario Party bundled in but they arent their...I doubt they were sold though, which makes me believe perhaps they pulled them that way it makes room for the Wii????
post #77 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberop
The guy had his young son with him so he was handed 2 vouchers, the same thing happened with a women who brought her son also. Their policy was one per customer and one per credit card. Obviously the two kids didn't have their own credit cards so they shouldn't have been given two vouchers, but they were.
It's just one per person, Best Buy amended the rules about seperate payments because that would involve us making customers produce their form of payment in advance.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #78 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Well I'll add my story. Sunday morning I woke up at about 4:30 and decided that I might as well go ahead and go out then instead of trying to get one more hour of sleep. Drove to BB and there was a long line. On to CC where there where 8 people for 5 units. Next was TRU and a long line. Across the parking lot from TRU was Target. Now itrackr showed Target with no stock. There were 2 people there so I asked them and they said that someone had told them that Target would have some. With no where else to go I sat down on the bench at 5:10. I was 3rd and at 7:10 they came out and handed out 15 tickets.

After that I went home and showed the kids and there was a little excitement :) That is until I told them they can't open it because we had to leave for Atlanta. Got back today and set it up for them. I have to admit that it is fun.
post #79 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM

Man - I'm glad I bought one on the Sunday after Thanksgiving at Best Buy... I was thinking it was probably a stupid waste of time and that they would be easy to find by now. I guess I was wrong!
post #80 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 PM

i suspect that the current shortage is real. That being said I also expect that just about every reatailer will recieve a shipment this week sometime... Toy's R Us in the central valley and bay area of california have announced they will have 10+ per store come 12/22. This very well could be units they held back however i believe it to be a new shipment.

Best Buy happens to be a prefered retailer which means if it is indeed a new shipment that is hitting toys r us... best buy will be getting one as well.
post #81 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberop

Your right it's all moot because I did get one, but I was still pissed that they allowed those two families 2 vouchers each, even though they couldn't use them per BB's rules, and they allowed them to try to sell the vouchers to the other unfortunate people still standing in line without a voucher.

Not much Christmas spirit with those 2 individuals, trying to make $50. from others in line for a damn voucher. BB should have stepped in, I mean it was their policy. I'll tell you what, this was my first time ever waiting in line for anything and it will be my last. I just can't believe how some people are, especially on Christmas.
Yeah, nothing like parents using their own kids--especially those who use their younger ones--to further increase their Wii/PS3 profits; I don't care what other people say--using your own kids like that only goes to show you're more about looking after yourself than you are for your own kids...and please, none of that "But I'm doing this to earn more gift-spending money for my kids" BS--again, if you have to use your own kids in such a manner in order to achieve such a goal...it only goes to show how you must view your kids; such folks would probably rent their kids out to other folks too if it meant more money for them and they could get away with it.

Tony
post #82 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie W. Holmes
The complainers are crybabies. If they had gotten there at 7:00 AM and waited until 8:30 AM they might have scored a voucher. As it was, when the vouchers were handed out, the winners just took a coffee break. They re-appeared on line a half hour before opening (10 AM). By then, others had "seemingly" lined up in front of them. But these unfortunate souls had already lost out on vouchers. The race goes to the real early birds.
i suppose i just got lucky.

i showed up when the voucher crowd was disspating and going to get breakfast. by that point i'd lost hope, but thoght i'd wait a bit and see. the manager that handed out vouchers had gone back into the store, so i waited to see if he would come back and let me know if he had anymore...well when he came back, turned out thath e had about 4 more and i snagged one about an hour before store opening.
post #83 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 PM

I've had a hard time finding a spare Wii-mote and nunchuck to go with my recently purchased Wii console. With that said, I've not spend hours and hours looking either.

Just left the new Target store on Westheimer, not far from the Walmart at Dunvale. Walmart didn't have any - cleaned out. The new Target had them. The guy getting them out of the locked hanger told me they had "lots". No Wii consoles, but "lots" of Wii-motes and chucks.

So if you're in Houston, looking for extra Wii-mote and Chuck - tonight, December 18th, 6:30 p.m. central, Target on Westheimer has'em.

Treytexag
post #84 of 84 Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys check your local WalMart, evidently some didn't get their shipments yesterday but a few must have gotten them today. I scored one (well my cousin snagged it for me) an hour away in the Roanoke, VA area.

Wokisan
AVS / AGE
Closed Thread Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page