USB to Ethernet adapter working with Wii.. tested tonight! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 93 Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read a thread somewhere saying that the Kinamax NT-USB20 usb to ethernet adapter was compatible with the Wii. I found one online for around $18 with shipping right about $25 and ordered it up.

It arrived today and I got a chance to try it. The adaper is black in color and is about 3 inches long. There is a light for link and for 100meg speed. The lights blink when activity occurs.

I plugged the adapter into the back of the Wii on one of the USB ports. I didn't seem to see any lights show up, so I turned off my Wii and powered it back on. The lights came on and I got a link light shortly after. I had this wired to my Ethernet switch in the basement via the walljack behind my entertainment center.

I went into the Wii setup menu and went into Internet options. I already have wireless configured to my a/b/g linksys router. I added a wired connection as Internet option 2 and selected it. It did a quick test to verify connectivity and I was able to use the Ethernet connection.

I tried some basic navigation of the Wii Shopping Channel and it did seem noticably faster than the wireless connection I was using. I haven't downloaded any games yet over the Ethernet for comparison but navigation and the initial Internet connection did seem faster to me.

The package comes with the 3 inch USB to Ethernet black dongle as well as a USB extension cable. I believe this is the same price as the Nintendo version that will be available sometime in January from what I have read.

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far and I would recommend getting this adapter for anyone with Ethernet options where they use their Wii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the info!
post #3 of 93 Old 12-14-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I had a typo in the original message I just corrected. The correct brand name is Kinamax not Kinemax like I had in the original post.

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812203024

Here is where I ordered mine from:

http://www.ayagroup.com/product_info...ac912190e5c4f7

Good luck!
post #4 of 93 Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a video showing the use of the USB adapter I purchased:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XozKcEWKZc

I didn't make the video but you can see what it looks like and that it works.
post #5 of 93 Old 12-15-2006, 01:00 PM

Just ordered one from your site. If it only runs a 10/half I'm sueing.
post #6 of 93 Old 12-27-2006, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, I ordered this from Newegg and they sent me a different adapter, even though the packing list says they sent what I ordered. They sent a generic USB ethernet adapter, and it doesn't work with the Wii.

So be careful where you order it!

-Dan
post #7 of 93 Old 12-27-2006, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If you install this adapter on a pc. Does it enable ics? Was wondering if this would work for my DS.
post #8 of 93 Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

FYI, I ordered this from Newegg and they sent me a different adapter, even though the packing list says they sent what I ordered. They sent a generic USB ethernet adapter, and it doesn't work with the Wii.

-Dan

CRAP!!!

That is NOT good!

Very bad form on their part...
post #9 of 93 Old 12-28-2006, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post

CRAP!!!

That is NOT good!

Very bad form on their part...

Yeah, it ticked me off. I'll bet there's somewhere on their site where they say they may substitute a similar brand for items ordered. But even still...

I just ordered from the Ayagroup web site. Their description of the product specifically mentions that it works on the Wii, so I'm willing to bet they won't substitute something else. Or at least I hope not.

-Dan
post #10 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Dan

I am assuming you are sending this back and have contacted newegg.com? Others have ordered from them and received the Kinamax adapter. I do not see why they would purposely send you something you did not order. I am sure this was a mistake on their part and would correct their mistake if you call them on the telephone.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #11 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavictor1956 View Post

I am assuming you are sending this back and have contacted newegg.com? Others have ordered from them and received the Kinamax adapter. I do not see why they would purposely send you something you did not order. I am sure this was a mistake on their part and would correct their mistake if you call them on the telephone.

Never assume anything. Yes, I should contact them about this. However, for $25 I may just eat it. We'll see if my general laziness will win out here.

-Dan
post #12 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 AM

Now that they know it works w/ the Wii its $29 at AYA
post #13 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just found out that I must have entered my credit card info wrong for the order with Ayagroup, so I cancelled it and called Newegg about my incorrect order. They don't know why the correct model didn't get sent -- the CSR said they don't substitute items so it must just have been a mistake. They're shipping me the correct adapter (we'll see if they get it right this time ) and they told me to just keep the other adapter because it wasn't worth it to them for me to return it.

So I guess I'm glad I fat-fingered my drecit card info incorrectly.

-Dan
post #14 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 11:29 AM

I just found this thread today, or I would have ordered this weeks ago, why Nintendo would not have their own version ready at launch (much like their component cables) mystifies me.

Anyway, I did not want to take the chance of being randomly burned by a replacement adapter so I called Ayagroup directly to order. Their number is 626-573-3764. I spoke to a guy named Kurp, no joke, who definitely knew about the unique functionality that only this adapter has with the Wii. He assured me I would be sent the correct adapter. One other thing, he mentioned they have 80 of these adpaters in inventory, as of 12/29, and he has no idea when replacements will arrive once the current inventory is gone.

Price was $29 plus $8 for UPS ground (3-4 business days). This isn't much more than Ninitendo's version, but who the hell knows when that will actually be available. This product really seems to work based on the video above.
post #15 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream14 View Post

I spoke to a guy named Kurp, no joke, who definitely knew about the unique functionality that only this adapter has with the Wii.

That's the guy I spok with when I cancelled my order. I wonder if this place is a mom-and-pop store? Anyway, when I called him and told him my name, he knew about the problem with the credit card without even having to look something up on the computer. So even though I cancelled my order, I like a place with that kind of service.

-Dan
post #16 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 02:08 PM

I just ordered a Linksys 10/100 USB adapter from CompUSA and I'm going to pick it up after work. Has anyone heard one way or the other if this particular adapter will work with the Wii?

CompUSA lists it as: Linksys EtherFast 10/100 USB Network Adapter

Sorry I can't post the link, I haven't hit 5 posts yet.
post #17 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickennog View Post

I just ordered a Linksys 10/100 USB adapter from CompUSA and I'm going to pick it up after work. Has anyone heard one way or the other if this particular adapter will work with the Wii?

The only one I've ever heard of working with the Wii is the Kinamax mentioned in this thread. And I'm guessing that this is actually what Nintendo is going to sell, repackaged of course. I'm even thinking that whoever was the first person to try this adapter and post somewhere that it works, probably had some "inside" knowledge of this, and that's why they tried the adapter in the first place.

But I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything.

-Dan
post #18 of 93 Old 12-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I just found out that I must have entered my credit card info wrong for the order with Ayagroup, so I cancelled it and called Newegg about my incorrect order. They don't know why the correct model didn't get sent -- the CSR said they don't substitute items so it must just have been a mistake. They're shipping me the correct adapter (we'll see if they get it right this time ) and they told me to just keep the other adapter because it wasn't worth it to them for me to return it.

So I guess I'm glad I fat-fingered my drecit card info incorrectly.

-Dan

There are about 3 or 4 reviews on newegg's site indicating you were not the only one to be sent the wrong item. How the heck can they screw up multiple orders? I want to order this from them but do not want the hassle with them sending me something I did not order. This item was out of stock for a short time so someone at newegg may have been trying to send out a similar item not knowing what it was intended for in terms of use.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #19 of 93 Old 12-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickennog View Post

Probably won't work. USB200M which has the same ASIX chipset but different hardware id string is confirmed not to work. Airlink ASOHOUSB is also confirmed to work.

Post confirming the Airlink works from the thread that broke the news that Kinamax works.
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/...d=17389#M17389

Airlink ASOHOUSB $12.99
http://shop.outpost.com/product/4415686

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_ethernet_adapter
post #20 of 93 Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igthorn View Post

Probably won't work. USB200M which has the same ASIX chipset but different hardware id string is confirmed not to work. Airlink ASOHOUSB is also confirmed to work.

Post confirming the Airlink works from the thread that broke the news that Kinamax works.
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/...d=17389#M17389

Airlink ASOHOUSB $12.99
http://shop.outpost.com/product/4415686

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_ethernet_adapter

Thanks!!! Ordered and saved over buying the Kinamax from Newegg.com who cannot seem to ship out the right item. There have been a few people who ordered the Kinamax and received another brand which does not work.

Barney Fife
post #21 of 93 Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are about 3 or 4 reviews on newegg's site indicating you were not the only one to be sent the wrong item.

Interesting! Then I'm not the only one.
Quote:
How the heck can they screw up multiple orders? I want to order this from them but do not want the hassle with them sending me something I did not order. This item was out of stock for a short time so someone at newegg may have been trying to send out a similar item not knowing what it was intended for in terms of use.

I asked about that possibility, and the CSR that I spoke with said something about there not being technical people there who could say what could be substituted for what, so she said they don't substitute. But something certainly did happen.

-Dan
post #22 of 93 Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 AM

I work at Fry's, and picked up the Airlink tonight, worked perfect.

Emotiva + Energy = Love
post #23 of 93 Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-007 View Post

I work at Fry's, and picked up the Airlink tonight, worked perfect.

Well, that figures. I wish I had known that before I ordered on line!

-Dan
post #24 of 93 Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, that figures. I wish I had known that before I ordered on line!

-Dan

I'm glad I held off. For a change, waiting paid off. If I would have ordered last week I would be in your boat with newegg sending me something I did not order. Not only that but I saved about $6.00.

Barney Fife
post #25 of 93 Old 12-31-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad I held off. For a change, waiting paid off. If I would have ordered last week I would be in your boat with newegg sending me something I did not order. Not only that but I saved about $6.00.

It's really not that bad. I just have to wait a little. But it doesn't really matter -- I'll get the adapter eventually and hook it up, test it out and say "cool!" Then it will be as though nothing has changed, since there really isn't much to do on-line yet.

-Dan
post #26 of 93 Old 01-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's really not that bad. I just have to wait a little. But it doesn't really matter -- I'll get the adapter eventually and hook it up, test it out and say "cool!" Then it will be as though nothing has changed, since there really isn't much to do on-line yet.

-Dan

Did I read somewhere once you hook up online your machine receives an update which also updates the system's ability to utilize various SD cards? I thought I would be able to transfer saves from my wii system to an SD card but the option to select the SD card does not pop up under memory management. Is the SD card only for downloading from the internet?

Barney Fife
post #27 of 93 Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

I can answer this one because I ran into it myself. I was trying to move over saves from my Wii to my sister-in-law's Wii we gave her for xmas. Her unit out of the box was unable to use the sd card out of my unit.

I put her unit on the wireless and it took multiple updates before the SD card slot was recognized for data management.

My understanding is you can have virtual console games, save games, pictures, movies and audio files on the sd cards. I have not really played with mine other than backing up save games.
post #28 of 93 Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuehne View Post

I can answer this one because I ran into it myself. I was trying to move over saves from my Wii to my sister-in-law's Wii we gave her for xmas. Her unit out of the box was unable to use the sd card out of my unit.

I put her unit on the wireless and it took multiple updates before the SD card slot was recognized for data management.

My understanding is you can have virtual console games, save games, pictures, movies and audio files on the sd cards. I have not really played with mine other than backing up save games.

Excellent...thanks alot!!!! This will really help out my son who is playing Zelda and has to bring his Wii over to my place in order to play his game without starting all over again. I will update his machine also once I receive my adapter from Fry's.

Barney Fife
post #29 of 93 Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 AM

Hello All,

This is Ayagroup and yes, we only have a limited supply of this item in stock. Eversince our vendor discovered that this item works with Wii; our cost has increased, but still, we've decided to buy all of their inventory.

Before the discovery of Wii compatibility, we sold it at $18.95 UNTIL the vendor decided to mark up the item. Believe me, we are not making much off this unit. We are currently sourcing for a manufacturer in Asia to supply us with this EXACT unit (originally made there) so we can continue to offer it.

In any case, Nintendo will release their own this month.

I want to say is THANK YOU for you continued support and hope to earn more of your business in the near future.

Ayagroup have been offering IT service to corporate/academic customers for over 7 years and have started to expand our product line to end-users. We currently have over 100,000 items in stock! Depending on your profile, you're directed to a certain account rep. so WE KEEP IT PERSONAL.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
post #30 of 93 Old 01-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Ayagroup
Do you ship to the UK?
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page