Wii remote keeps disconnecting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just got a Wii for my little brother for x-mas. For some reason while we are playing Wii sports the Wii remote keeps disconnecting during gameplay. We could be playing tennis, baseball, or boxing and in the middle of us trying to swing or something we will notice nothing is happening on screen. When we look down the controller's blue light is turned off and we have to press any button for it to reconnect. This is getting extremely annoying since it happens in the middle of playing. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Do we have a faulty remote or is this any sort of "new system glitch?".

If it has anything to do with it, our sensor bar is sitting on top of the TV which is in a wood cabinet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you permanently synch your controller to the Wii? If you don't know about this check your manual, there are two types of controller synch, temporary and permanent.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 06:44 AM

This happens when the battery gets low.
post #4 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if my brother did the permanent synch or not. I will check and do it if we didn't to see if that helps. I guess the batteries could be low but we just opened it x-mas morning and didn't play for more than a couple hours so I would hope the batteries weren't low that quick.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well my brother said the system tell you how much juice is in the battery and he said it was full. And he also did do the permanent synch to the system already. I told him to swap the batteries and also re-do the permanent synch just to make sure and see what happens. Does anyone have any additional suggestions on what the problem might be? Sound like we might have a defective controller. or console
post #6 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 01:40 PM

I know you have to follow instructions exactly on permanent sync (push one button first or something).

If your not FIRST, your LAST!
post #7 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Stupid question that I am sure could have been answered with a search but...

How do the remotes talk to the base? RF?

You may want to move the wii, even slightly rotate it if it uses RF. RF can be finicky with interference sometimes.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do the remotes talk to the base? RF?

No, bluetooth.
post #9 of 26 Old 12-27-2006, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If only one Wiimote is being problematic, I'd get a replacement Wiimote. If you only have one Wiimote, try to acquire a second one. Your best bet is probably to have a friend with a Wii come over and try their Wiimote. If you don't know anybody else with a Wii... good luck finding a Wiimote in a store.

The sensor bar is absolutely not part of the issue. All the sensor bar does is shine two IR lights. It can literally be unplugged and replaced with two candles, powered off batteries, etc. And most Wii sports games can be played without utilizing the pointer function.

I highly doubt interference is the problem. If a second Wiimote experiences the same issue, it's probably a defective console. If a second Wiimote works fine, your factory Wiimote is defective. See if the store will exchange it for a new one. If not, Nintendo will replace it.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEK View Post

Well my brother said the system tell you how much juice is in the battery and he said it was full. And he also did do the permanent synch to the system already. I told him to swap the batteries and also re-do the permanent synch just to make sure and see what happens. Does anyone have any additional suggestions on what the problem might be? Sound like we might have a defective controller. or console

I had the same problem. The remote frequently "went to sleep" and had to be woken with a keypress, particularly with motion-only games like Tennis. Battery readout said it was full, and this was with the packaged batteries.

Then one day it wouldn't turn at all. Swapped the batteries out, and no problems since then.
post #11 of 26 Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwardfh View Post

I had the same problem. The remote frequently "went to sleep" and had to be woken with a keypress, particularly with motion-only games like Tennis. Battery readout said it was full, and this was with the packaged batteries.

Then one day it wouldn't turn at all. Swapped the batteries out, and no problems since then.

This makes me winder if the problem might actually be something like the batteries dislodging a little inside the remote? Maybe adding a little padding inside the battery lid might help? Just a thought.

-Dan
post #12 of 26 Old 12-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

This makes me winder if the problem might actually be something like the batteries dislodging a little inside the remote? Maybe adding a little padding inside the battery lid might help? Just a thought.

-Dan

Don't think that was it. Touching a button would wake up the remote, just like if the remote had been left sitting idle for half an hour or whatever.
post #13 of 26 Old 12-31-2006, 02:03 PM

Ever figure this out? I just opened mine for the first time, played Wii Sports for a couple hours, and both remotes suddenly lost connection. I haven't been able to get them to reconnect yet.
post #14 of 26 Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM

Never mind. I let it sit a while, turned it back on, and they both connected. Weird.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-31-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

We changed the batteries in ours and now we have no problems.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEK View Post

As has been said already, it is probably the batteries. Our battery gauge also said full, but when we changed them the problem went away.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 AM

Probably intermittent battery connection due to some light corrosion on the battery contacts.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I love the Lenmar Rechargeable batteries. I never used the packaged Panasonics. Who knows how much life they got left sitting in there.

The Lenmar Rechargeables are 1.5v, not 1.2. They will quickly drop voltage when they need recharging so it'll be completely dead. it has 2000mAh and lasts a long time. The best thing is they put out 1.5v.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM

My son is having a similar problem... the remote intermittently turns off... and at other times in won't shut off at all, and we have to remove the batteries. We have performed the permanent synch... but still suffer the same problem. Any ideas?
post #20 of 26 Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 AM
EM3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4ta View Post

My son is having a similar problem... the remote intermittently turns off... and at other times in won't shut off at all, and we have to remove the batteries. We have performed the permanent synch... but still suffer the same problem. Any ideas?

I unplugged the Wii for about 30 minutes and then did a permanent synch and I haven't had any problems since then.

The sky is pink it's time to drink!
post #21 of 26 Old 04-18-2009, 07:53 PM

I have the battery problem

i got these chargers and batteries that charged in the chargers

they did have a warranty but its expired now

total rip-off

so i'll prob use some other rechargeables...

ill try the sinc as well

thx guys

- The champ
post #22 of 26 Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The infrared window on the top of the controller can get dirty --- try wiping it off for a connection problem.

Greg Lee
post #23 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM

The same thing happens to me, except it happens when I play any game, mainly Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I replaced the batteries multiple times (at least 3), cleaned the black thing at the base of the remote, and tried to re-sync it many times. I have two (2) remotes, and the other one works perfectly. But this one doesn't. That means I have to TAKE TURNS if I want to play. WHY IS IT SO SCREWED UP?!? If you have any suggestions, please tell me!!!
post #24 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Oh and also the one that don't work is connected just fine when it is just sittin there, but as soon as you start playin, it goes all retarded on me.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM

I FIXED IT!! I can't believe ot. All I did was Falcon Slap it and it started working again. I guess violence CAN solve problems...
post #26 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM

OMFG NOW ITS MESSED UP AGAIN! Wait... I may know why its messed up! It must've been madein China! (Nah just kiddin )but yes I am pissed.
Reply Nintendo