Wii repair experience - Virtual Console games lost - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned my Wii to Nintendo for repair on December 16th. I was unable to use the quick replacement process because this one results in the forfit of your virtual console games and points. This process is where Nintendo immediately mails out a replacement and then you mail back your broken system. I had to use the slower repair process where the Wii is mailed in, repaired, and returned.

The first thing that was odd about my situation was that the Wii returned to me on December 23rd, but Nintendo's website didn't show that the Wii was being returned until the 27th!

I was away until the 27th anyway. Nintendo fixed my system by replacing it and copying the internal memory into the new Wii, but my virtual console information was lost. The games still appear in the Wii system memory, but they cannot be played and do not appear in the Wii channels page. The virtual console store does't allow me to redownload those games, and shows I have 0 points remaining.

I contacted Nintendo yesterday and they confirmed that they screwed up. He had to send this situation up to the higher ups for further review, and I should receive a call today on my status. He said that no matter what happens they'll return my VC points, but how that will happen is a mystery right now.

The whole virtual console thing is a real hassle when it comes to repairing a system. I can understand not providing a way for users to swap games from system to system, but Nintendo ought to have some sort of backdoor mechanism for updating someone's virtual console info (even if it's by increasing the points on the customer's account on their end) The system is hooked to the internet after all!

Moral of the story: Do not buy Wii points in 5000 point increments and only buy what you need. There's no bulk rate advantage anyway so stick to the minimal amount (1000?) This way if you only have a few points on your system you won't be so tied to your particular system. I hope Nintendo gets this repair process situation straightened out soon because I can only imagine how much of a hassle this will become in a few years.

I'll post a reply when I get an update on my situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 AM

My Wii is also not working. When I called for help, the guy asked which option of repair I wanted; either send the unit in and have fixed or fast replacement with a new machine. I chose fast replacement cause I want to play sooner rather then later. Anyways, he asked if I had any data on the machine that I wanted to save and I say that I downloaded 3 games. He says no problem, just download them to an SD card and upload them to the new machine. Well now I'm all confused and pissed. I checked out the Wii website and sure enough it says yes you can save the games but you can only play them on another machine if that machine already has them downloaded!! WTF! Why didn't that guy tell me that? If I have to pay to redownload the games I gonna lose it. It's not my fault my Wii dosen't work. How can they not come up with a solution of you not having to repurchase if there is a problem? Even on Napter if you buy a new computer or have to reformat your computer you can redownload 3 times free.

Sorry about one long paragraph.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Ahh... DIVX all over again... This is an inherent flaw in the new distribution model and why the crackers and hackers stay in business. Let's face it, I bet 90%+ of VC downloads are of games people have already paid retail for in the first place. I bought Super Mario Brothers for NES on the release day...I think it was almost $60 with tax, why should I have to buy it again? Wait, I am not buying it... I am...err... leasing the license to play it on a specific machine...or....err... LAME!

They need to move to a subscription model, $4.99 per month or something. Nintendo has a clever marketing strategy here... low base price with the most expensive controller ever. To take full advantage of the system for multiplayer you are looking at almost $500 before you even buy a game.

ash =o)

"Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist needs to have his head checked..."
post #4 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashVID View Post

Let's face it, I bet 90%+ of VC downloads are of games people have already paid retail for in the first place. I bought Super Mario Brothers for NES on the release day...I think it was almost $60 with tax, why should I have to buy it again?

I understand the frustration, but in reality, you could still play the SMB for NES you bought on release day, if you still had the system and game cartridge. So what you originally bought has not been dimished. The reason you'd pay for it again is so you can play it on another system, and that's reasonable because they never guaranteed you'd be able to play it on every system you ever bought.

Quote:

Ahh... DIVX all over again... This is an inherent flaw in the new distribution model and why the crackers and hackers stay in business.

In this case, I can't agree. IMO, they've made the price cheap enough that there's no reason to bother with cracking anything.

Quote:

Wait, I am not buying it... I am...err... leasing the license to play it on a specific machine...or....err... LAME!

How else should they do it? When you buy a VC game, you get it right away -- that's good. You don't get anything physical, like a game disc, so how else are they going to make it so someone doesn't copy it for everyone?

Quote:

They need to move to a subscription model, $4.99 per month or something.

Some people would like this idea, for sure. I wouldn't because I don't really want to play all the old games. I bought a few of my favorite games, but that's enough for me. But some people would certainly agree with you.

Quote:

Nintendo has a clever marketing strategy here... low base price with the most expensive controller ever. To take full advantage of the system for multiplayer you are looking at almost $500 before you even buy a game.

How do you figure $500? What am I missing?

-Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:

low base price with the most expensive controller ever. To take full advantage of the system for multiplayer you are looking at almost $500 before you even buy a game.

So how much are the 360 and the PS3 decked out for multiplayer? I bet it's more than $500. And Nintendo throws in a game.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

It's nearly 5:30pm eastern and I still haven't received my morning call from Nintendo on the status of my virtual console games. I called up a few hours ago and the guy verified that the incident had been advanced to a higher level of customer service. At this point I'm a little afraid that I'm going to get a call saying that they dug my old system out of the warehouse, swapped out the defective component, and are going to mail it back to me. They are being very weird about this whole virtual console thing so I really do have the suspicion that this is what they might do.

I really want to play Castlevania 4 and that widely praised Gunstar Heros. I have 1800 points ready to spend on them, but they're trapped on my old Wii. I'd be happy to buy more points since I know I'll use them eventually, but I'm so uncertain about what's going on that I'm definitely not going to add any points to this new Wii. I just know that if I buy more points that I'll only complicate the situation.

It's really odd that Nintendo hasn't gotten back to me because I find their customer service to be pretty good. They're definitely in a different class from Sony.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM

Paying $8 to play an antiquated game I already own is over-priced for me. I like the subscription model because it is like I am getting a "service" not buying a game that I already own and I am not really "buying"

To play Wii Sports with 4 people, all with their own controller/nunchuck is $534 with tax...

By the way, I love the Wii... I just hate the fact that as a longtime gamer, they are trying to re-sell me something I have paid for over and over... it is not like a DVD being remastered to HD-DVD... it is the EXACT same game. I also hate the hardware DRM implementation. If I buy a DVD...why cant I play it at my friends house? That is what they are doing with the VC games...

ash =o)

post #8 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 03:34 PM

update

I talked to a differnet guy at Nintendo about what to do about my vc games on the machine that I am returning. He said that it shouldn't be a problem getting them free on the new machine. He asked what the serial numbers were on the 2 machines I had; I told him unfortunatly I was at work and that the new Wii was coming tomorrow. He said no problem, call tomorrow and we'll get it resolved. I sure hope that $20 wasn't wasted. I do have to say that Nintendo has fantastic customer service (i.e. friendly, want to help). I had an issue with them not shipping a new sensor bar for a week even though I paid for overnight and supposedly it was "ready to be picked up by ups" and a supervisor refunded the total cost of it. The supervisor also said that they recently hired a ton of new people because of the Wii and unfortunatly the new ones don't all know what their talking about.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

How do you figure $500? What am I missing?

Wii Console: $250
2nd Wiimote: $50
3rd Wiimote: $50
4th Wiimote: $50
2nd Nunchuk: $20
3rd Nunchuk: $20
4th Nunchuk: $20

Total: $460 + Tax (depending on state)

And then there's a Virtual Console controller or two, Component or S-Video cables, and GameCube controllers and memory cards for those who don't already have GameCube hardware.

Can we say... ACCESSORIES! Where the REAL money from the system is made!

As far as the original poster's problem, it's a bit clunky right now since the Wii has just come out. They've just implemented the new Wii-specific custoemr service model, and it needs time to get "broken in" so that all the bugs can be ironed out.

As far as "If I buy a DVD, I should be able to play it anywhere", that doesn't work for software. If you could play your game anywhere, what's to stop a bunch of people from passing around a 2GB SD card and getting every virtual console game for free? Physical media is one thing. But copyable software is easy to distribute illegally.

I think a good solution would be if the controller could somehow be linked with the console. Then as long as you have the controller temp-synched with a console, you can play the game on any console you like. Either that or some sort of a unique hardware key.

Still confused? Read "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" thread!
-Dan

post #10 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Shouldn't all those $50 Wiimotes be $40?

The way I look at it is MSRP -

Wii: $40 Wiimote + $20 Nunchuck
XBox 360: $50 Wireless Controller
PS3: $50 Wireless Controller

So for a full complement of Wireless Controllers the Wii will run you an extra $30.

**Caveat: XBox360 Core System does not include a Wireless Controller
post #11 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post

As far as "If I buy a DVD, I should be able to play it anywhere", that doesn't work for software. If you could play your game anywhere, what's to stop a bunch of people from passing around a 2GB SD card and getting every virtual console game for free? Physical media is one thing. But copyable software is easy to distribute illegally.

I think a good solution would be if the controller could somehow be linked with the console. Then as long as you have the controller temp-synched with a console, you can play the game on any console you like. Either that or some sort of a unique hardware key.

Why don't they just use the user based model (e.g. Xbox Live Arcade) instead of a system serial number bounded one? If I've bought it I should be able to play it anywhere that I have logged on. Other people won't be able to play it even if the image/game is on the internal flash storage because they will be logged on as a different user.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey sorry to hear about what happened man I guess i wont be downloading games then I thought I could save the games to a SD card then if my system messed up all my saves can go on the next machine I guess not......I guess Im gonna have to say nintendo stinks when it comes with saving games. 360 is still my choice....
post #13 of 25 Old 12-29-2006, 06:24 AM

There is a process in place where Nintendo CS can assign a new "serial number" to any VC games you have purchased (and are associated with your "account") so they will, in fact, work on your new system. I've talked to a couple of people who have used it and it seems to work quickly and well. Give 'em the old serial number...and the new serial number.

It sounds like you don't HAVE the old serial number...and that may be what's causing the delay.

It's also possible the hold up is on "refunding" your Wii points. THAT seems to be a big sticking point in the process, from the posts about the subject and the conversations I've had with people.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj45 View Post

update

I talked to a differnet guy at Nintendo about what to do about my vc games on the machine that I am returning. He said that it shouldn't be a problem getting them free on the new machine. He asked what the serial numbers were on the 2 machines I had; I told him unfortunatly I was at work and that the new Wii was coming tomorrow. He said no problem, call tomorrow and we'll get it resolved. I sure hope that $20 wasn't wasted. I do have to say that Nintendo has fantastic customer service (i.e. friendly, want to help). I had an issue with them not shipping a new sensor bar for a week even though I paid for overnight and supposedly it was "ready to be picked up by ups" and a supervisor refunded the total cost of it. The supervisor also said that they recently hired a ton of new people because of the Wii and unfortunatly the new ones don't all know what their talking about.

That's strange because that's the exact opposite of what I was told a few weeks ago. I was told that if I used the advanced replacement repair option my $50 of virtual console games and points would be lost forever. They were clear about that. Extremely clear. The customer service rep even spoke to a supervisor (or to play a quick game of Tetris...you never really know what they do when you're put on hold) and was told that the license agreement that I agreed to when buying my VC games said that the games are non transferable.

Originally I wanted two Wiis: one for me and another to use as a gift, but I needed the gift one by 12/18. The only way to guarantee that was by using the advanced replacement's rapid replacement process, so he definitely knew what I wanted to do. Not only was I told that I can never, ever, ever ever transfer VC games onto another Wii but I was told that I must DELETE all VC content from a Wii when I give it to another person! The license for VC games apparently says the games are licensed to ME specifically! Fortunately I found a second Wii and sent the broken Wii to Nintendo in for an actual repair.

Your story is completely different and it makes me wonder if Nintendo is relaxing some of their restrictions. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo does for me to compensate for my lost 5000 points considering they made such a big deal about such a process being "impossible". I wonder if they'll mail me a 5000pt card or just bump up my VC point total from 0 to 5000.

And I want to download Castlavania sooooooooooo bad! When I first heard about this service that was one of the first games I thought about! I love those big bright sprites, the detailed environments, and the music that no other Castlevania game has touched since. I can live without the crumbling stairway bug that you encounter in one of the latter levels, but damn I want it. Week after week of crap was released to the VC and suddenly my precious Castlevania is released and it's just sitting there taunting me because of this situation!
post #15 of 25 Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Paying $8 to play an antiquated game I already own is over-priced for me.

Then don't buy it. Nintendo will charge what people will pay, simple as that. If people don't buy things, they'll lower the price.
Quote:

To play Wii Sports with 4 people, all with their own controller/nunchuck is $534 with tax...

OK, I understand now.
Quote:

I also hate the hardware DRM implementation. If I buy a DVD...why cant I play it at my friends house? That is what they are doing with the VC games...

What's the alternative for Nintendo? They can't allow people to make free copies of the game and distribute them to anyone. (Actually, some people might argue that the can and should allow people to copy the games freely, but let's leave that argument alone for now.) So again I say, what's their alternative?

-Dan

post #16 of 25 Old 12-29-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Update: It's now 5pm on Friday and Nintendo still hasn't called me back as promised. They told me "late this afternoon (Wed) or tomorrow morning (Thurs)"

I called them again on Thursday and today and still haven't been helped and I'm still waiting for that phone call from the advanced support team I was originally told would call yesterday morning at the latest.

Sheesh. Their support is getting nearly as bad as Sony's.
post #17 of 25 Old 12-29-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 View Post

Update: It's now 5pm on Friday and Nintendo still hasn't called me back as promised. They told me "late this afternoon (Wed) or tomorrow morning (Thurs)"

I called them again on Thursday and today and still haven't been helped and I'm still waiting for that phone call from the advanced support team I was originally told would call yesterday morning at the latest.

Sheesh. Their support is getting nearly as bad as Sony's.

I want to make it clear that I think your situation sucks, and that this is no way for a company to act. With that said, I wonder if the lack of a call back has anything to do with the holidays? Just wondering, and even if it is it wouldn't be a good excuse...

-Dan

post #18 of 25 Old 12-30-2006, 06:22 AM

different situation as my system was repaired. Turn around time was amazing as nintendo picked it up on a friday and i received it back that following thursday.

I receied a new system but ddn't have an VC games. My main issue is that my Mii's aren't editable anymore saying i can't edit what i didn't create. Kinda of a big dea but not really as i like how Wii Sports rates you and tracks your records. Anybody know a way around that?

I was told that saves, etc.. can only be but back onto the system in which it came from. So my zelda, excite truck and wii people were all there when i got the system back. Even my network settings were in place for wireless (wep)
post #19 of 25 Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmushx15 View Post

My main issue is that my Mii's aren't editable anymore saying i can't edit what i didn't create. Kinda of a big dea but not really as i like how Wii Sports rates you and tracks your records. Anybody know a way around that?

I don't know a way around it, but I've been able to "copy" other people's Miis by printing them out and referencing them as I create a new Mii. You should be able to do the same by taking a picture of the screen and printing it out -- especially since you created them originally.

-Dan

post #20 of 25 Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post

I don't know a way around it, but I've been able to "copy" other people's Miis by printing them out and referencing them as I create a new Mii. You should be able to do the same by taking a picture of the screen and printing it out -- especially since you created them originally.

-Dan

? im confused...do you mean transfer them to the wii mote? i transfered the mii to the wii mote then tried to bring him back in (this will overwrite and delete the one in the plaza) i said yes, but same thing, can't edit. It didn't ask who the owner was.
post #21 of 25 Old 12-30-2006, 12:20 PM

I agree that the answer is not an easy one but consumers are going to catch on pretty quick. The subscription model is better because, as I noted, you are buying a service, not a license for a game you already own. If they want to have levels of subscription, fine... $1.99 for Weather/Net, $2.99 for that + NES/SNES, $4.99 monthly for everything...

ash =o)

post #22 of 25 Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmushx15 View Post

? im confused...do you mean transfer them to the wii mote? i transfered the mii to the wii mote then tried to bring him back in (this will overwrite and delete the one in the plaza) i said yes, but same thing, can't edit. It didn't ask who the owner was.

Sorry, poor choice of words. Let me try it again, without using the word "copy" (it's harder than you might think).

Create a new Mii from scratch. Look at a printed picture of the original Mii, and do your best to make the new one look like the printed picture. It's really not that hard to do, especially if you created the original Mii because you will probably remember some of the "tweaks" you made.

It's not an ideal solution -- I was just offering one option.

-Dan

post #23 of 25 Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

My virtual console situation was resolved.

I sent in a system with 5000 points worth of VC games and unused games to Nintendo for repair. They returned a new system on which my VC games would not play and my remaining 1800 points were lost. I contacted Nintendo Wednesday on this situation and they confirmed that they screwed up. I was supposed to hear back that evening or Thursday morning with details but they never called. I called Thursday and Friday and still didn't get the situation resolved. Friday night passes, it's about an hour past midnight, I come home and decide that Nintendo won't call by Tuesday at the earliest because Monday was a holiday. I bought 2000 points on the new system then downloaded Castlevania 4 and SMB. I didn't want to mess with this system's VC state because I was afraid I'd complicate things, but I just couldn't wait any longer for those games. Unfortunately, I did complicate things.

About 1pm on Saturday Nintendo calls and the guy basically gathers more information on the problem and some questions about my new VC content. Then around 7pm I get another call from Nintendo with the resolution. I can either have my old 5000pt account restored or I can continue with the new 2000pt account but I can't have both! The Nintendo rep recited the VC legal agreement as the reason behind this bizarre situation where whatever account I chose simply couldn't be credited with the points of the other. I chose to restore the old 5000 point account since it was the most expensive, but I was thinking "damn, I'm going to be out $20 and they were the ones who screwed up!" but the rep said that he'd give me $20 worth of product from their online store. Since I decided earlier that day to buy a classic controller, I just went with that. So I'm supposed to get this controller on Thursday. Hell, this actually saved me a little money since I won't have to pay sales tax.

In other words, they are being so protective of their Virtual Content IP that they'd rather send me a physical object via 2 day mail than press a few buttons to increase my VC points from my remaining 1800 pts to 3800 pts! The rep said that he had the ability to do so, but was not authorized to do it! Bizarre! (Unfortunately I didn't even think to ask if I could have had a 2000 point VC card mailed to me)

In my specific situation everything worked fine, but what if I didn't want any Nintendo online store products? I would have been screwed and forced to buy $20 of unwanted merchandise because Nintendo screwed up my Wii repair! This also scares me about the future. What if it's 2012, Nintendo's next new system has been out for a year but I still have my Wii because I have, say, $350 of VC content downloaded on it. The Wii dies. What happens now? Will I risk losing all of my content? Will Nintendo even provide any repair services at that time? With non-VC content if one component fails (console, disc, cartridge) you either get it fixed or chalk up the loss and get a replacement. With the Wii, if the console fails you're going to lose your entire VC library.

I love this VC feature, but it seems a very risky. If Nintendo doesn't get a little more flexible with this feature in the future then I see the possibility of a customer relations nightmare issue. I'm not a fan of subscription based services, but in a situation like this it may be the best alternative, especially because I doubt Nintendo will permit transfering Wii VC games to the Wii's successor.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM

I wonder if this whole mess has to deal with how Nintendo pays third-parties for their VC content. Ie. if Nintendo pays third-parties a royalty on every title sale, it would be better for them to transfer a VC account that already contains content over to a new Wii instead of adding points to a new account that then repurchases the games and generates a new royalty payment. While we see the VC points issue as a "it's all going to Nintendo, so it shouldn't be a big deal to magic up points that are then returned to them", that's probably not the full story and a lot more may be going on behind the scenes with respect to all the license agreements.

While such could be a technical issue (ie. the counter they use to pay royalties is linked to VC downloads and the reps. can't issue games without incrementing it) and could be fixed at some point, it's also a possibility that Nintendo didn't foresee this issue and signed some incredibly stupid licensing agreements that specifically forbid issuing titles to more than one account without additional payment -- regardless of reason.

Granted, given that they messed up the repair deal they should have eatten the royalty cost if that was in fact the issue. Of course, they sorta did by giving out free stuff from the store. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a bureaucracy/jurisdiction thing with the VC royalty/licensing stuff being handled over in Japan with NoA being unable to do anything about it, leaving the only choice as taking a loss from their retail store division which is clearly under the NoA subsidiary umbrella.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklayn View Post

I wonder if this whole mess has to deal with how Nintendo pays third-parties for their VC content. Ie. if Nintendo pays third-parties a royalty on every title sale, it would be better for them to transfer a VC account that already contains content over to a new Wii instead of adding points to a new account that then repurchases the games and generates a new royalty payment. While we see the VC points issue as a "it's all going to Nintendo, so it shouldn't be a big deal to magic up points that are then returned to them", that's probably not the full story and a lot more may be going on behind the scenes with respect to all the license agreements.

It's possible, but wouldn't you think Nintendo would have forseen the possibility of defective Wii units and how that and other issues may make it necessary to transfer money or VC content from one system to another? I can understand not wanting to make this an extremely simple process otherwise people may transfer titles from one Wii the another fairly freely, but when the transfer is required because they screwed up you'd think they'd have a system in place to handle such situations. It seems like with my problem they were making up the solution on the fly!
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page