My Wii Component vs. Composite experience..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, around Xmas, I purchased an Olevia 227 27" LCD HDTV. the picture when watching HD TV programming was amazing! Really, very nice, I highly recommend it. But my main reason for buying the tV was for my Wii. SO, I went ahead and ordered the cables direct from Nintendo.

What I found, to my astonishment, was that I highly preferred the picture using composite cables on my circa '02 Sony Trinitron flat-screen. The picture with the HDTV was just not as crisp! It felt more washed out, not as vibrant. I also noticed a good amount of noise. I tried adjusting the picture, believe me, every which way. Turning down the sharpness made it too blurry, blurrier for sure than on my Sony, and turning the sharpness up left lots of jaggies and noise. I just couldnt find a good middle ground. After playing Wii on the LCD for about a week and then going back to the Sony I realized how much I missed the ol' Sony.

I really don't think there was any problem at all with the cables or the TV. I just think that the CRT produced a picture that was more vibrant, with better contrast. I have ordered S-Vido cables and will use those on my Sony, so I'm excited to see how it looks! And like I said, the Olevia really has a beautiful 1080i picture when watching HD programming, so I know what it's capable of.

What do you guys think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post

So, around Xmas, I purchased an Olevia 227 27" LCD HDTV. the picture when watching HD TV programming was amazing! Really, very nice, I highly recommend it. But my main reason for buying the tV was for my Wii. SO, I went ahead and ordered the cables direct from Nintendo.

What I found, to my astonishment, was that I highly preferred the picture using composite cables on my circa '02 Sony Trinitron flat-screen. The picture with the HDTV was just not as crisp! It felt more washed out, not as vibrant. I also noticed a good amount of noise. I tried adjusting the picture, believe me, every which way. Turning down the sharpness made it too blurry, blurrier for sure than on my Sony, and turning the sharpness up left lots of jaggies and noise. I just couldnt find a good middle ground. After playing Wii on the LCD for about a week and then going back to the Sony I realized how much I missed the ol' Sony.

I really don't think there was any problem at all with the cables or the TV. I just think that the CRT produced a picture that was more vibrant, with better contrast. I have ordered S-Vido cables and will use thsoe on my Sony, so I'm excited to see how it looks! And like I said, the Olevia really had a beautiful 1080i picture when watching HD programming, so I know what it's capable of.

What do you guys think about this?

isn't the WII 420p? So.. in other words.. it's output is standard def. Most HDTV sets don't dislpay SD Very well. Hence your preference...
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's basically what I'm getting at. why are all these people going nuts over the component cables on an HDTV? I don't think it looks better, and I guess I'm saying it looks worse. I fully expect S-Video on my Sony CRT to look much much better than it did on my HDTV.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One thing, did you make all the correct setting changes in the Wii after installing the Component cables?

Widescreen YES
480P YES

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

I did a side by side with Zelda on my 34" Panny hdtv with the composites and components and the components blew the composite away. Just make sure the Wii is set to 480p and the proper aspect ratio for your tv and it should be leaps and bounds better. The components on 480p also got rid of all those jaggies and moving lines on the menu screen. Much smoother.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, i did all that, made sure it was widescreen and outputting at 480p. I mean it looked pretty good, but I noticed lots of scanlines; example:

In Zelda, in Snowpeak Ruins, when the Snowman is stirring his soup, the mist coming off the soup, on the LCD, had very noticeable horizontal lines running through it. On the CRT these are nonexistent. Also, when looking at uniformly colored areas, such as the sky, the LCD showed lines, where the CRt does not.
I just felt it had a very "rough" look to it, and adjusting the sharpness down to minimize those symptoms really made it fuzzier than on my CRT. It's almost as though the LCD was OVERdoing the picture. I'm sure if you guys could have seen my setup and compared the 2 you would have agreed with me (for my particular setup anyways).

I almost feel like using the Wii on an HD set is overkill, and not what the Wii was "intended" or "designed" for. So nobody thinks a nice CRT w/ S-Video could look better than on an LCD? I mean it outputs at 480i/p, so why COULDN't it look just as good or better on a CRT? Discuss.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

One more thing. I'm not saying that composite is better than Component; obviously it's not. What I'm saying though is that I preferred the picture on an SD tv over the HD LCD. It obviosuly doesn't have quite the detail, but I just hypothesize that there is no reason that the Wii, hooked up with S-Video (or even better, component) cables hooked up to a CRT will look just as good if not better than on an LCD, where 480 is not it's optimal format. Right?
post #8 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This Syntax Olevia is not Japanese. Return it. Wii want Japanese TV.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 PM

My 27" Sony flat screen also had component inputs for 480P input. Yours doesn't?
post #10 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. Mine's a 24" with only an S-Video input
post #11 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

ah ha! Just posted TONIGHT in IGN Wii's mailbox:

"Funny you should mention the aliasing issue, as I was just thinking about it while playing Wii at the IGN office. Contrary to popular belief, press doesn't get any super-special rock-on cables that make everything look amazing, and it's fair to say we're seeing the same issues you are. Just a few weeks ago Matty-boy and I each got a 40" Sony Bravia, along with matching slacks, teal blue polo shirts, and a saint of a puppy named Fredrika. Also we hug more than we should.

Ok, so the extra stuff wasn't true, but we did each get a Sony Bravia, and the aliasing is more noticeable than ever. Unfortunately, that seems to be the price for Nintendo going with 480p as the signal of choice rather than diving into HD. Developers can use anti-aliasing to pretty up the visuals, but without the slick look of HD I'm afraid we'll always be haunted by some level of jaggies. Nintendo made the choice to focus primarily on the 4:3 480i family, and that's where the system seems to fit best. That being said, component cables certainly give the game a crisper look and stronger color, but it comes at the expense of seeing every little visual imperfection that games may have. Aliasing is one of those imperfections. "
post #12 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 AM

Liked: 93
the quality of your HD panel is a huge part of the issues you are seeing. the Olevia 227V does an excellent job of playing 720p, but not really anything else as the scalers in it are rather poor. if you want a budget display that has significantly nicer scalers in it, check out the Olevia 332H. same family, but it has a panel where black actually looks black (not blue) and way better scalers than most of the other budget LCDs. chances are, you can find that panel for little more than what you paid for your 227V. a quick check shows one of the larger computer retailers selling it for $700 currently.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

We are pleased with how the wii displays on our Sony 46e2000 rear projection LCD. But this set also does a respectable job with SD programming.

While it is true that it would probably look better on a good quality SD CRT, displaying Wii on a large screen makes for a more immersive experience. The first time I saw Wii being played it was on a 20 inch CRT. I think seeing it on a 46 inch widescreen makes game play much more fun. It is especially useful for games with a split screen like tennis.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm using the Wii on my upstairs TV. Toshiba Widescreen HD RP CRT.

It looks MUCH better via Component at 480P

This TV does well with SD and HD sources.

I hope to eventually put the Wii downstairs in the HT with the 360. I'm just waiting for a wireless sensor, yes, I know I can make one. I may just do that if they don't put out something soon.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #15 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm thinking the best possible picture for a Wii setup is having Component cables going to an SD CRT.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Liked: 12
I think in general, a standard definition signal (regardless of S-video or component) is going to look better on a CRT than a native 720p digital display.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM

For any fixed-pixel displays -- that's LCD, plasma, DLP rear projection, LCOS rear projection, and LCD rear projection -- the quality of the game display, whether composite, component, or S-video, will be almost entirely dependent on the quality of the monitors' internal scaler and the setup on that input (brightness, contrast, tint, sharpness, game mode settings, other calibration).

I still can't find a Wii for myself, but my Gamecube with S-video or composite output looks vastly different depending on my TV settings. Try a bunch of different settings and see what looks best for your use. This is exactly why each separate input on digital TVs is able to hold its own setup info.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Zelda has fine horizontal lines on transparency. It's a graphics engine bug. You don't see in on CRT because of the way the dark and light lines are shown alternately because of the scanline interleaving, and the electron beam being larger than a single scanline so that the lines overlap each other by a fair margin. With a digital panel, all the lines are shown together, and there is zero line overlap, which makes the lines more visible.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Welp, I finally got the S-Video cables this morning. I'll try them out tonight. I think it's going to look really good on my Sony CRT.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabit256 View Post

Zelda has fine horizontal lines on transparency. It's a graphics engine bug. You don't see in on CRT because of the way the dark and light lines are shown alternately because of the scanline interleaving, and the electron beam being larger than a single scanline so that the lines overlap each other by a fair margin. With a digital panel, all the lines are shown together, and there is zero line overlap, which makes the lines more visible.

I noticed this too. For example if Link is standing in knee deep water, the wavey lines continue up the edges of Links body to the water line in the background, even though that part of Link is not in the water. Definately a graphics bug.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

So I hooked up my Wii with my new S-Video cables to my Sony 24" flat screen CRT. For me, this is the best picture I've ever seen the Wii have. Very crisp, beautiful colors, no ghosting, no lines or jaggies. Just nice. My $.02.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM

You wanna know about a major diffrence in picture quality? I just got a new tv, switch from a 60'' sony grand wega projection to the sharp aquos 52'' flat panel lcd...like night and day.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM

The Wii in 480i looks blurry, in 480p it looks sharper. This doesn't mean it looks better, just sharper, the graphics for the Wii leave a lot to be desired but at least running it in 480p instead of 480i doesn't leave you wondering whether you need glasses.

This is from connecting the Wii straight to a 37" LCD TV with Nintendo's original Wii Component Cables.
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page