Thinking about getting a Wii - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I am interested in getting a Wii so I can play the old games. Where can I find out which games are available for download?

Thanks
kneedragger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Member
 
silly_walk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/wii/available_now.php
silly_walk is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Member
 
kcabhsalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ROTFL. Good luck. I nievely thought "ehh I guess I'll pick one up and see what its all about", oh a month ago. Aside from displays Ive yet to see one in person...

As far as the virual console, I think its kinda dumb. For that 5 bucks you have to pay to download one game, you could by a nintendo with 5 games, lol, granted you'd still have to pay shipping. Ive still got all my nintendo consoles anyway, hundreds of NES games, a fair share of SNES, and two dozen N64. I guess it wouldnt be so bad if it was like $1.50 for a game, then its like nothing. $5 isnt much, but its not nothing either. I could buy lunch with that, and its not so much the purchase price of one game that puts me off, but if I wanted to buy a couple or several, then its just not worth it at all.
kcabhsalf is offline  
post #4 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morkeleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Unknown
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like the Virtual console for its convenience factor. I can play The Legend of Zelda without blowing on a cartrige or messing with cables. While these are small bonuses I feel my purchase of the games has been worth it thus far. That said I am obviously limited to released content only.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
Morkeleb is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
wokisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lynchburg, VA : Da LBC
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

I like the Virtual console for its convenience factor. I can play The Legend of Zelda without blowing on a cartrige or messing with cables. While these are small bonuses I feel my purchase of the games has been worth it thus far. That said I am obviously limited to released content only.

I still have my original NES (plus another for parts), a bunch of NES games, and yet I agree wholeheartedly with you. It's so much easier than trying to get a stubborn old cartridge to work (but I will do it for Blaster Master or Bionic Commando...lol). Just point, click, and go. My disappointment is the lack of titles imho. There are tons and tons of titles that should be on there by now.

Wokisan
AVS / AGE
wokisan is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Member
 
Goldenbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you own the old titles, you can emulate legally (ish) on your PC and get any game whenever you like. You're kind of at the mercy of Nintendo as far as the schedule for wii re-releases, and they are definately going to spread it thin right over the Wii's lifespan.

Not worth the cash for me.. the titles feel overpriced.
Goldenbone is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morkeleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Unknown
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Blaster Master would be a definite purchase!

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
Morkeleb is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
ShawnPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The VC is great, IMO. I never owned a console before the N64 so I finally get a chance to play some classics. Also, as was mentioned above, the convenience of simply clicking on a game to play from the startup screen is fantastic. A huge plus for me is that the VC also has a save-state feature for every emulated system other than the N64. That means, when you exit a game to the Wii menu, it's like leaving your classic console on "pause" until you decide to come back to the game (even if the Wii is turned off). This feature is wonderful for me since I often only get 10-15 minutes to play at one sitting. It's also great for games that use continues. Now you can keep going until you reset the software. Very cool. For someone who never owned these games and likes to do things LEGALLY, I think the prices are very good, especially since I'm buying games considered to be true "classics" of the day.

Also, the Wii remote works very well for games that don't require the classic controller add-on. And when you do need the classic controller, it is a great controller, especially for the price.

All in all, I think the VC is one of my favorite features of the Wii. It's very well done and I find the releases so far to be solid. I'd like more top-notch Nintendo games, but I think it's good that they are giving breathing room to other publishers first since it will ensure good 3rd party support.
ShawnPeters is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Member
 
MathewM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf View Post

ROTFL. Good luck. I nievely thought "ehh I guess I'll pick one up and see what its all about", oh a month ago. Aside from displays Ive yet to see one in person...

Yep. I think Nintendo is purposely hordeing them to maintain demand. I mean the fact that it's still hard to find makes it more desireable. There's enough of them out there that the seeds of want keep spreading to all those who have played it. Nintendo will probably selectively release large numbers of them sporadically over the next few months.
MathewM is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jasonstiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think the VC isnt that great either. Until they start getting out the 64 games out and such along with lowering the price, Im gonna wait. Im not paying 4 bucks to play SMB or 10 dollars to play mario 64. Ill get on my emulator for that for now.
jasonstiller is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mario Kart 64 is currently the only VC I am considering buying... maybe Goldeneye.
jamis is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
siddavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewM View Post

Yep. I think Nintendo is purposely hordeing them to maintain demand. I mean the fact that it's still hard to find makes it more desireable. There's enough of them out there that the seeds of want keep spreading to all those who have played it. Nintendo will probably selectively release large numbers of them sporadically over the next few months.

Yeah, this is such a genius idea - to not sell to people who are ready to buy on impulse. Wow, what a strategy!

However, I do agree that there is about to be a "big" release. Whether or not Nintendo is responsible for it is debatable. Just not sure that would be such a wise thing to do and pass up quick sales.
siddavis is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Damn, I thought they would have more games pout than that. I personally don't see anything wrong with paying $5 and under for a old title. You can expect them to give them to you free because you bought the new system and the games are older than most of the kids playing now a days. I have tries the emulation on the PC before and didn't like it. Hopefully they start putting out more games sooner.
kneedragger is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
nbuubu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post

Damn, I thought they would have more games pout than that. I personally don't see anything wrong with paying $5 and under for a old title. You can expect them to give them to you free because you bought the new system and the games are older than most of the kids playing now a days. I have tries the emulation on the PC before and didn't like it. Hopefully they start putting out more games sooner.

Just FYI, the pricing scheme is only $5 for old NES games. It gets kind of expensive otherwise.

NES - $5
SNES - $8
N64 - $10
Genesis - $8
TG-16 - $6

Just to be a contrarian, I had a Wii, finished Zelda, then returned it. It started gathering dust and there aren't a whole lot of games on the horizon that interest me. Plus I have a large LCD HDTV and the Wii via component looks pretty bad compared to my 360 and PS3. Even tried running it through a DVDO VP30, one of the best scalers available, and it still looked pretty bad.

Will definitely pick up another when there's a Black Wii out along with the next Mario. It's a fun system for what it is but it's not for everyone. Then again, I get my emulation fix through my old XBox so that's one Wii positive that was kind of lost on me.
nbuubu is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu View Post

Just FYI, the pricing scheme is only $5 for old NES games. It gets kind of expensive otherwise.

NES - $5
SNES - $8
N64 - $10
Genesis - $8
TG-16 - $6

Just to be a contrarian, I had a Wii, finished Zelda, then returned it. It started gathering dust and there aren't a whole lot of games on the horizon that interest me. Plus I have a large LCD HDTV and the Wii via component looks pretty bad compared to my 360 and PS3. Even tried running it through a DVDO VP30, one of the best scalers available, and it still looked pretty bad.

Will definitely pick up another when there's a Black Wii out along with the next Mario. It's a fun system for what it is but it's not for everyone. Then again, I get my emulation fix through my old XBox so that's one Wii positive that was kind of lost on me.


Thanks for the price difference info. I can see why you would return it, I have heard alot about the picture clarity with the Wii. What is the black Wii?
kneedragger is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
scs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The progressive scan and the ability to play these old games without screwing around to get the game to work is a great thing. Unfortunately the library is tiny and growing at a snail's pace. The release schedule seems to be completely random too and failing to exploit obvious connections. Here are two such examples:

Excite Bike.
It saw its second sequel in 20 years (Excite Truck) released as a Wii title. Interest in the Excite Bike franchise was at a peak because of that, yet Nintendo didn't exploit this obvious connection by releasing NES Excite Bike and the N64's Excite Bike 64.

Castlevania.
The game Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin was released for the DS which, from what I've heard, was a direct sequel to Castlevania Bloodlines. The VC didn't have any Castlevania titles on it to exploit this wave until Christmas. I can kinda understand that because great Castlevania games are released every year, but Bloodlines was the direct predecessor to Portrait of Ruin! It should have been released both to ride the wave of interest in 2D Castlevania and to exploit the fact that these two particular games are tightly connected!


If Nintendo and all are going to take the snail's pace philosophy for releasing VC titles, why not release ones that would exploit the success of related games being released for the other systems and the Wii?
scs0 is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 01-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
nbuubu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post

Thanks for the price difference info. I can see why you would return it, I have heard alot about the picture clarity with the Wii. What is the black Wii?

No problem.

The Black Wii is the inevitable edition of the Wii that isn't white. Back when the Wii was announced we saw multiple colors, then, like the DS, was released only in White to simplify production. Once demand starts to fall and you can find a Wii in stores easily (guessing March-late Spring) it seems like a good guess that they'll release some of those alternate colors to re-energize their sales.

They did it with the DS by releasing Black and Pink versions a few months after the original white was released.

It's a minor thing, but I prefer my A/V equipment to match. Still annoys me that my HD-DVR is a gaudy mix of Silver and Black, and that the 360 (despite the ability to switch faceplates) is still primarily white. I'd get a 360 faceplate and put it on a shelf if it didn't need so much open air ventilation to avoid lockups.

So I'm going to wait for a Black version of the Wii, which should come eventually. Plus, on a more practical note, the White remote gets really dirty and nasty with a lot of friends using them. Black just seems more elegant to me.
nbuubu is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joekun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I personally don't see anything wrong with paying $5 and under for a old title. You can expect them to give them to you free because you bought the new system and the games are older than most of the kids playing now a days.

I don't expect them for free but I'm probably not going to get $5 of enjoyment out of most of the titles on the VC. I bought Mario 64 right away, but haven't bought any other titles due to the prices. They need to come way down (like half of the current prices for most titles).
joekun is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Caswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

I don't expect them for free but I'm probably not going to get $5 of enjoyment out of most of the titles on the VC. I bought Mario 64 right away, but haven't bought any other titles due to the prices. They need to come way down (like half of the current prices for most titles).

The prices are fine, it's the quality that's lacking. $5 for Urban Champion? No thanks. $5 for Bionic Commando? Yes please.
Caswell is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
scs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell View Post

The prices are fine, it's the quality that's lacking. $5 for Urban Champion? No thanks. $5 for Bionic Commando? Yes please.

The pricing is another thing that seems odd with the virtual console. Free emulators are all over the web, and they've even gotten so sophisticated that they can run on the browser itself instead of requiring the user to install and emulator and the game roms. The legality, morality, and quality of using these things is debateable, but what's not is the fact that they exist and people use them and therefore they are like a serious competitor to Nintendo's VC. I think knocking the price down a bit would help ward off that competition. I know I've read a lot of comments from people saying they were not buying many games because of the price, and I believe I am that way too. I think I would have spent more in total at this point on cheaper games.

The pricing also seems dumb because not all NES games are worth $5 to the mass market. I doubt few would complain about spending $5 for a AAA NES title, but why's that price the same as the price for Urban Champion, NES Tennis, and Donkey Kong Jr? It also disappoints me in knowing that $5 is far too high for many old titles, so Nintendo probably won't bother putting them onto the VC. I loved Clu-Clu-Land, but who else out there would spend $5 on that? At $5 they'd probably sell it to me and the original developers, but at $1 they'd probably sell a boatload. I bet these old games without save files are easy to create too: I bet they just recompile the code or pass the ROM through something and have an intern whip up the digital manual.
scs0 is offline  
post #21 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BASHERS33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well at least $5 is better than how they released some NES games for GBA a while back and charged $20 each.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
BASHERS33 is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Caswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To me, it's still about the convienence of the VC. If anything, the existance of ROMs should be putting pressure on Nintendo to release their entire library at once instead of trickling it out two mediocre games at a time. The VC is going to raise awareness of classic games in general, and the public at large learning about the existance of ROMs at that point is just a Google search away.
Caswell is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
ShawnPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell View Post

To me, it's still about the convienence of the VC. If anything, the existance of ROMs should be putting pressure on Nintendo to release their entire library at once instead of trickling it out two mediocre games at a time. The VC is going to raise awareness of classic games in general, and the public at large learning about the existance of ROMs at that point is just a Google search away.

I don't think that ROMs will suddenly become more popular. The VC on the Wii is obviously not targeted toward the PC crowd who might prefer to play illegally downloaded ROMS on an emulator while sitting at their desk. It's targeted toward the console gamer, casual gamer, or ex-gamer who might want to play some classics. I fall into the console gamer category. I have zero interest in spending time fiddling with my PC or modding a console or whatnot simply to play games that I could download onto the Wii and easly load up from the comfort of my couch in no more than 30 seconds from zero to play time. I know each game is tested for its emulator and runs perfectly, it comes with well-made isntructions, mapped correctly to one of two controllers, and I can bring the whole thing with me by toting the Wii. The convenience far outweighs the cost which, IMO, is already very fair considering how little the console costs in the first place when compared to any other console or PC.

Also, I don't see a problem with the quality of the library and its rate if growth. We are early adopters, so we get less choice. These games have to be re-tested and the emulators must be tweaked, the documentation made, and they have to go through the ratings board all over again. Considering this, 3-5 games per week is very acceptable, IMO.
ShawnPeters is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Member
 
kcabhsalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thing is though, you dont have to download one emulator and get it working for a game, then start all over again. You can download hundreds of games, sometimes almost the entire console library in one file with a working emulator, you just unzip and go. The only disadvantage is you cant use a controller.

They would have been better off to sell access to the entire console library for $50 or 10 games for $20, or just be realistic about the pricing. I like the idea to an extent, its just not worth what they are charging, like I said one game is no big deal, but to actualy buy a few games adds up fast.
kcabhsalf is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
ShawnPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf View Post

Thing is though, you dont have to download one emulator and get it working for a game, then start all over again. You can download hundreds of games, sometimes almost the entire console library in one file with a working emulator, you just unzip and go. The only disadvantage is you cant use a controller.

That's an enormous disadvantage. The other disadvantage being that it's not legal.
Again, about making the entire library available: each game must be tested and the emulator tweaked when needed. Documentation must be made for each game in all official languages. The games must all be reviewed by the ESRB. It's simply not realistic for all these games to be ready so quickly. I still don't understand what's not realistic about the pricing. It's like saying you can download music for free, so albums are rediculously priced. Downlaoding ROMs and emulators is no more legal than sharing music. Personally, I find that many of those classic games are well worth the price of admission. Some aren't. Buyer beware.
ShawnPeters is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Member
 
kcabhsalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the VC you dont get to use the natural controller either, and I've heard the classic controler for the Wii is less than desireable. As far as the legality, ehh... you got me there, not that it bothers most people. Nintendo already got my fare share of the NES profits.

You would either have to have a ton of money, or be really bad at math not to see the problem with the pricing. With games starting at 5$, say you want to sit down for an afternoon and play some nostalgic games. A lot if NES games dont hold your attention well, and some others suck, and others you thought you remembered liking but now dont. So in 4 hours you go through 8 games.(I know when I sit down with my NES I probably go through twice as many) Thats $50(prices 5-10$), thats %20 of the purchase price of the console in one afternoon.

Yes, if you just got the ones you liked no problem, you'll play them dozens of times and get your moneys worth. Problem is the best games cost the same as the worst games, and there are no trials or refunds. To actualy do much with the VC adds up fast and really makes it not worth it. Id rather spend 5 minutes diging out a console and hooking it up than spend $10 on a game. Im my mind im making $120 by doing the work myself. Then, hey Ive got the console out, might as well play the rest and save that other $40, now I made $600 an hour.

So I guess if you only used to to get some games you really liked, and you wanted to play a lot again, yes it makes sense. But as a way to go back and play through games of old, its not practical at all. Chances are though, if you liked them a lot, they are still in the box with the console in your attic. If you want to see what games you never played were like, or try to find something new to play, its going to cost a small fortune.
kcabhsalf is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
ShawnPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf View Post

With the VC you dont get to use the natural controller either, and I've heard the classic controler for the Wii is less than desireable. As far as the legality, ehh... you got me there, not that it bothers most people. Nintendo already got my fare share of the NES profits.

You would either have to have a ton of money, or be really bad at math not to see the problem with the pricing. With games starting at 5$, say you want to sit down for an afternoon and play some nostalgic games. A lot if NES games dont hold your attention well, and some others suck, and others you thought you remembered liking but now dont. So in 4 hours you go through 8 games.(I know when I sit down with my NES I probably go through twice as many) Thats $50(prices 5-10$), thats %20 of the purchase price of the console in one afternoon.

Yes, if you just got the ones you liked no problem, you'll play them dozens of times and get your moneys worth. Problem is the best games cost the same as the worst games, and there are no trials or refunds. To actualy do much with the VC adds up fast and really makes it not worth it. Id rather spend 5 minutes diging out a console and hooking it up than spend $10 on a game. Im my mind im making $120 by doing the work myself. Then, hey Ive got the console out, might as well play the rest and save that other $40, now I made $600 an hour.

So I guess if you only used to to get some games you really liked, and you wanted to play a lot again, yes it makes sense. But as a way to go back and play through games of old, its not practical at all. Chances are though, if you liked them a lot, they are still in the box with the console in your attic. If you want to see what games you never played were like, or try to find something new to play, its going to cost a small fortune.

I see where you're coming from. However, there are already resources on the Web offering reviews and previews of all the VC games. Just like any current new game, if you don't want to be stuck with a dud, you need to dig around a bit and see what the consensus is on the title. Demos would be a helpful tool, though.

As for the classic controller, it's actually fantastic, IMO. There was someone here who went off on it for use with NES games, but the Wiimote on its own already works really well for that. Plus, if you're a diehard fan, there are adapters that fit into the GC ports for using the authentic classic controllers (as in, the real NES pad, for example). For SNES and N64 games, the Wii classic controller is excellent.

Personally, I appreciate having a game guaranteed to run properly, easy to access, having some written background, instructions, and clear button mapping information. That's all provided, and I am willing to pay for it at the current prices (for games that I really want, of course). But that's just me. It seems we are both looking for different things out of the classic gaming experience and I'm cool with that.
ShawnPeters is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FrankJ.Cone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The prices are just starting prices. The TG-16 has an $8 game now The best one available of course... stick it to the fans why don't you hudson.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

FrankJ.Cone is offline  
post #29 of 32 Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
ShawnPeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

The prices are just starting prices. The TG-16 has an $8 game now The best one available of course... stick it to the fans why don't you hudson.

There was an explanation for that given by them. It contained what was considered two chapters in one, and was sold that way in Japan at least. Anyway, whether you buy that argument or not, I don't think it's indicative of a trend. Considering the quality of the TG-16 game's I've downloaded so far, I'm surprised that they're actually 600 points instead of 800 across the board.
ShawnPeters is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
blklacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had wii since launch and Im very disapointed. The controller is fun and all but the games selection is just not my bag. Im 22yrs old and I really thought their would be some games for my age range but their is one or two maybe. To me the wii is for little kids and non-gamers. Yes the idea is cool, the controller is cool but for me im not impressed. Im not comparing this system to ps3 or 360, im judging my opionion based on my experience with the gamecube. Im not trying to bash the gamecube, but come on, lets just say i was more than disapointed. This will be my last nintendo product, I guess I have just grown past lil kiddy games and cheap played out franchises, mario,metroid,zelda etc etc. I think i was just expecting to much from nintendo, they could have at least put a little more effort in graphics department or at least in include a little higher rez wouldnt kill come on 720p. Im done
blklacker is offline  
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off