Wii Sports: Training Camp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed that there are a lot of things that you're "supposed" to be able to do in Wii Sports that I cant figure out. I found information about Sports to be sporatic. So I wanted to make a post with all the tips and tricks in one location. Please post you're tricks and I will update the master post.

Tennis Tips and Tricks:
To put spin on the ball, flick your wrist up and out as you contact it.
Flick counterclockwise for a top spin, clockwise for a backspin
If you hit the tennis ball at the peak of the serve, it will go much faster
Hitting the ball early as it comes at you will send it inward
Hitting the ball later will make it go straight, later makes it go outside

Baseball:
When pitching, press the 1 (or maybe 2) button to throw sidearm
?Swinging with a upward angle may help hit it higher, down may hit grounders?

Bowling:
To put a spin on the ball, rotate the Wiimote as you release the ball.
If you release the ball late, it will not spin as much
The slower you bowl, the more it will spin

If you move all the way to one side then turn away from your pins you can bowl in the neighbors lane.

Also in the 91 pin throw, you'll notice that the blue bumpers line up with the red lights at the back of the lane. When your turn starts turn your bowler 2 clicks to the outside of your hook (righties turn two clicks right, lefties to clicks left) and then slide your bowler all the way to that side until you can't go anymore. You should be aiming into the barrier. Do a fairly typical release, although if you have a strong hook try to reduce it. Release the ball at the absolute end of the throwing arc so it flies in the air.
If done properly your ball will land on top of the rail, and your hook should keep it from sliding off the outside, if it makes it all the way to the end without falling off and hits the red light, and "bomb" goes off that knocks down all 91 pins in a heart-shape, netting you 182 pins with the x2 bonus

Golf:
To be filled

Boxing:
Keep it smooth, watch your Mii so you're not trying to throw punches when you're already half way through a punch, and duck and weave as required

A Critical Dodge is when you dodge an opponent's punch at the last second. Upon a successful Critical Dodge, the screen will slow down into a matrix style sequence and you have the abilty to counter attack the opponent for "massive damage." The heavier a punch your opponent throws, the easier if becomes to Critical Dodge it. It's not likely that you'll be able to Crit Dodge a jab, even if your timing is great. The computer just won't let it happen

Also see Post #24 below for a very detailed explanation of boxing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

I wish there was instructions for the games, something to at least tell you what all moves were possible. For instance, I think you are supposed to be able to spin the ball in bowling, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how, but then again, it might not be possible.

It would be great if there was a game or app that would let you see what the Wii thinks you are doing with the Wii mote. So that you could confirm that it is seeing the motions you think you are making....
post #3 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Well yeah, you can spin in bowling. I bowl right-handed and rotate my wrist counter-clockwise before releasing the ball.

Cush
post #4 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Do you rotate on the back swing, fore swing, or at the top of the swing? How much rotation is neccessary?
I tried rotating all three ways, and even to completely upside down, and saw no changes. Does the Wii read rotation off of the IR, so maybe if you're not pointing straight at the screen on release it wont work? thats the only thing I can think of. I'll try that tonight.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf View Post

Do you rotate on the back swing, fore swing, or at the top of the swing?.

Rotate when you release the ball.

Note that in this context "rotate" refers to twisting the remote as if it were a screwdriver. You are not waving the remove in the air as if it were a flag.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For bowling, I usually just hold the remote in the 'spun'/twisted position the whole way through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

I do it on the foreward swing and, as someone's stated, like a screwdriver. I don't know how it works internally; if it works holding the remote in the "spun" position, it might just be a positional thing, like rotating the onscreen cursor in the Wii menu.

Cush
post #8 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Also for bowling if you press the A button, it brings up curvy lines instead of the normal left/right lines. Is that dealing with spin also?

(general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

post #9 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Also for bowling if you press the A button, it brings up curvy lines instead of the normal left/right lines. Is that dealing with spin also?

No, that is just part of the direction, so you dont have to throw the ball straight.
Should I put that in the top post? seems a little rudamentary, and it tells you how to do it in the game. I think I should keep it just to undocumented(or under) features. Thanks though.

As for spin, I did have some success last night, but it was sporadic at best....

Also, I noticed if you flick your wrist up and out when hitting the tennis ball, you can put spin on it as well. Can someone confirm this for me?
post #10 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Tennis is just like real tennis. For a right hander, you flick your wrist counterclockwise (forward) for a forehand topspin, and clockwise (again forward) for a backhand topspin.

You can also slice to put backspin on the ball, which can sometimes have a dramatic effect on where it lands and how it bounces. Just reverse the above for a slice.

I just can't really figure out how to consistantly lob the ball.

Baseball hitting is absolutely baffling to me though, maybe someone can help there.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 AM

Honestly in my experience it seems like as long as the ball is close to the strike zone, and you time it right, you'll hit it. Where you swing the bat is really irrelevant.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, but how do you hit into the outfield? Is it the speed of the swing? It doesn't look like it matters how fast you swing, the avatar seems to swing at the same speed every time.

Batting is the most frustrating thing I've found so far on this console.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

For bowling, I usually just hold the remote in the 'spun'/twisted position the whole way through.

I do the same. I think spinning at the end of the swing will add less spin; also releasing earlier will create more spin (when the remote is twisted) and vise versa.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

As for spin, I did have some success last night, but it was sporadic at best....

I find that the spin in bowling is pretty consistent. Twist your wrist like a screwdriver as others have said. The other important thing to know is that the ball will curve more if you throw it slower just like it does in real bowling. If you throw it too fast, the ball will have spin on it, but it won't start hooking until it's at the far end of the lane.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, when you release matters on the amount of spin. If you release late (so the ball flies through the air, and doesn't land until 1/3 of the way down the lane) the ball will curve less.

This seems very realistic to me.

post #16 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver02 View Post

I find that the spin in bowling is pretty consistent. Twist your wrist like a screwdriver as others have said. The other important thing to know is that the ball will curve more if you throw it slower just like it does in real bowling. If you throw it too fast, the ball will have spin on it, but it won't start hooking until it's at the far end of the lane.

I also agree, the spin in bowling is by far the most accurate and consistent. Right a right hander, you can spin the ball from left to right as well, by rotating the remote clockwise as you are letting go of B. My fiance bowls like this in real life, and in wii bowling, and does it quite well!

If you're having trouble with spinning the ball in bowling, do the wii bowling training (the icon is the dumb bell on the main sports page). I think the spin challenge is the 2nd bowling one, it'll make you spin the ball, and rotate/move around the lane.
post #17 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM

Also with tennis, hit the ball just at the top of the lob on the serve for the power serve, pretty easy when you get the timing.

Has anyone figured out spin on the serves?
post #18 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

For baseball press A or B and you throw a curve or a screwball I don't remember what button is assigned, but just try.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

A=Screwball
B=Curveball
A+B=Splitter (you can sometimes fail this, ! will show up over pitchers head)

Tapping any of the D-pad (+) will aim the pitch...more taps, more travel.

post #20 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll add that hitting the 1 button (or maybe its the 2 button - I forget which) will throw a side arm pitch.

Once you learn how to use all the pitching controls, it becomes very hard to get a hit against you.
post #21 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Thanks, but how do you hit into the outfield? Is it the speed of the swing? It doesn't look like it matters how fast you swing, the avatar seems to swing at the same speed every time.

Batting is the most frustrating thing I've found so far on this console.

I think bat speed is also a factor as far as how far the ball will travel when you hit it...after all, in real life bat speed is just as important as timing (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the speed of the pitch) when it comes to hitting for power.

FWIW I was able to hit one of my home runs out of the stadium (it'll tell you if you did so)!

Tony
post #22 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Jamis - you just let the catout of the bag! I too do it this way. If you hold the remote 90 degrees counterclockwise (for right hander) and move a few boards to the right, you will hit the pocket with spin every time. I use this approach and I can bowl a perfect game about 30% of the time, with my average being around 260.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post

I think bat speed is also a factor as far as how far the ball will travel when you hit it...after all, in real life bat speed is just as important as timing (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the speed of the pitch) when it comes to hitting for power.

FWIW I was able to hit one of my home runs out of the stadium (it'll tell you if you did so)!

I managed to hit 6 of them out of the stadium in one Home Run derby, but I missed 1 pitch, so I didn't get the Platinum Medal. If you swing level, or slightly up at the ball, the chances of hitting it out are increased also. Chop down at it, and it increases the likelihood of a ground ball or a line drive- just like real life.

Also, when the computer player starts throwing splitters, be prepared to curse- they're near impossible to hit with any consistency, but they can hit yours every time

will work for sushi
post #24 of 30 Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Pulled this from: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...3001832831/p/2

1: The Wiimote is very sensitive. Your Mii is not. If you flail about wildly, your Mii will attempt to throw a punch and you'll lock yourself out of being able to do anything for at least a full second. Control yourself and watch your Mii on screen carefully.

2: Get the moves down in training before you attempt the real thing. If you do the Heavy Bag training, and simply don't push A to begin it, you can shadow box all you want and you'll see very clearly how your Mii responds to the punches you throw.

3: It doesn't matter how much you move your body. It only matters how much you move the Wiimotes. When dodging, punching, and counter attacking, make sure that you're moving the Wiimotes, not your torso. This happens a *lot* even if you think it's something obvious, many people instinctively do this without realizing it.

4: Against real opponents, computer or otherwise, timing is the key. If you are getting hit repeatedly, you go into hitstun and cannot throw punches. Block or dodge instead. If your opponent is getting hit, same thing. Keep your opponent from comboing you by jabbing them from time to time. It throws off their rythmn. When you get the chance to counter attack, after a successful critical dodge, land some heavy hits if you can and then *back off.* The opponent will be angry and attempt to retaliate. This sets up another critical dodge and an easy counter punch KO. I've KOed people in the 700 pt range within the first round like this. If you stay on the offensive for too long, the opponent will counter attack you instead and you'll start losing all your headway.

5: Find your own special punch. Everyone has a particular way they prefer to box. Myself, I have a nasty 2 hit uppercut that I KO people with. I have friends that have various other moves, one has a low gut punch, another a wide haymaker liver blow. Whatever it is that you have the most familiarity with and can use easily, memorize it and use it after a critical dodge. In the middle of the game, it's very easy to confuse yourself and lose the chance to land those meaty counter hits, so make sure your own special punch or combo is ready and armed. After a critical dodge, a simple jab will stun them severely allowing you to tack on your heavy hit after. Watch your Mii onscreen to see when his glove comes back into ready position after the counterjab, and throw your KO blow.

6: When doing combos on an opponent, he will get pushed back progressively. If you really rock an opponent with a massive combo, he'll get pushed back out of the range of your hits quickly. Stop attacking. If he completely gets knocked beyond the range of your hits, you'll whiff and the opponent will immediately get a counter attack chance on you as you expose yourself.

7: Understanding the lifebar. The little pie chart on the side of the opponent is his lifebar. That's a pretty easy concept to follow. What isn't so obvious is that this doesn't work like simple HP in most games. Every hit you do will eat away as his lifebar as normal, but upon wearing him down to the point where a slice of the pie chart is blinking, jabs will not accomplish anything. You must land a heavier hit to wipe out the blinking piece and erase it from his chart. Counter attacks will almost certainly destroy a piece of his chart instantly and landing more heavy combo counter punches after will eat away large sections of his life chart. You cannot jab someone into KO. You must setup heavier hits in order to move past the blinking pieces. This is easy to do with the low level opponents as a simple 1-2 jab might remove it, but on higher level opponents only heavy attacks on counterhits will successfully wipe out the final blinking section to lead into a KO. The faster you can wear down his life chart, the less chance the opponent will get to rise from a KO. If you slowly wear it down over the course of many rounds, it's not likely that you'll score a KO and the opponent will regain more of his life back after the fall.

Balancing between offense and defense is really important in this game. You must mount and offense to keep the opponent from going into their heavy combos and you must keep a decent defense to land counterhits reliably. Your offense is your defense and your defense is your offense. It's wierd, I know, but it works here. I'll explain the moves I've found in the next post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Suichiro, December 11, 2006 18:27
Ignored post by Suichiro posted December 11, 2006 17:33 Show Post

Suichiro
Wise, Aged Ars Veteran

This is only what I've found after reading a bit of advice online and practicing myself, via shadow boxing before the Heavybag Training excersize. These might not work for you, so play with movements until you get your own punching ability down.

The basic boxing stance is to hold your Wiimote and Nunchuck vertically in front of you.
| |

Dodging is tilting them both side to side.
\\ \\ or / /

You can also dodge backwards by tilting them backwards towards you. In addition, you can duck forwards by quickly tilting them forwards until they're parallel to the floor. This isn't easy though, so rely on the side to side dodges more. Dodging also steps your Mii in that direction, so you can use it to place yourself more to either side to adjust your stance.

Punching is a quick motion in the proper direction. Slow punches aren't picked up as easily by the Wiimotes so try to make the motion quick, like a jab. The accelerometer will pick them up much better that way.

To high jab, simply flick the Wiimote forward. It doesn't need to be tilted, simply pushing it foward quickly will do it. Keep the Wiimotes vertical.
| |

To body jab, hold the Wiimotes horizontal and push them forward the same way.
_ _

To uppercut, simply flick the Wiimotes upwards. It helps if the Wiimotes are lower on your body when you do this, but you can uppercut from the base position as well. Uppercuts require a quicker motion than the base jabs do. Tilting the Wiimotes helps in this as well.
(side view) _ \\ |

To haymaker/hook, push the Wiimotes sideways quickly. I've found that you don't need to turn them or rotate them much at all. Simply push them very quickly to your side. The angle at which you do it, determines what hieght you'll haymaker at.
| -->|

Straight punches are a natural part of comboing jabs. If you throw a left then a right jab you'll naturally throw a left jab and a right straight. It's an automatic response to comboing. You can control this a bit by changing how quickly you punch. Unlike real boxing, a straight in this game is measured by how quickly you throw the jab. The faster, the more likely it is to pick up a hard straight instead. It's possible to throw series of left and right jabs followed by a straight to end it. Play around with the heavy bag a few times to see if you can get the hang of how fast or slow you need to punch to get them to come out.

Comboing is a mixture of timing and good eye coordination. No matter what you do in reality, if your Mii is out of position, they'll never be able to respond. Watch your Mii's gloves as he throws punches, unless it's quick jabs, he simply cannot throw another punch until he finishes the first one. *Slow down.* While the punch motion itself should be quicker, the time between punches should be slower. Don't flail at the screen, it won't get anything done. When your Mii recovers from throwing the first punch, throw another. When he recovers from that, thrown another with the other hand. Repeat.

Combos lead to big hits. Throwing a haymaker or an uppercut will certainly have a bigger effect than throwing a jab. But throwing a heavy hit on the end of a combo will have even greater effect. An easy combo to use is the 1-2-heavy combo. Do a right jab, then a left jab, then a right heavy hit (Uppercut or Haymaker.) The final hit will do much more damage than normal and will commonly down people if landed after a critical dodge. With some timing, you can actually land a series of very heavy hits, each one doing more damage than the one before it. This takes practice and good eyesight to recognize when your Mii is recovered from each punch.

This is as much as I've found so far. These little tricks alone were more than enough for me to wipe the floor with most everyone until the 800+ level class. I'm still searching for reliable ways to throw the tricky downwards rabbit punch, if I find out, I'll post here
post #25 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Turns out all my spin problems in bowling were due to me throwing too hard. I slowed down the throws and I can get pretty good control of the spin.

Tennis is definitely easy to spin when you know how

Baseball im really starting to think there is something to the angle of attack you use when hitting. Playing sitting down yesterday, so I had to swing straight if not down, almost all of my hits were grounders.

Boxing is definitely a lot easier now that I know to watch the power of my punches, though I still have trouble getting side cuts when I want to.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone get a 2000 rating yet? In any sport? I was at 1997 in Tennis, and I played a 2000 and 1900 for opponents. I won, but I had a bad game and it took all 5 sets. I lost 8 points in my rating. I'm going to try and get 2000 tonight.

post #27 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Thril View Post

If you swing level, or slightly up at the ball, the chances of hitting it out are increased also. Chop down at it, and it increases the likelihood of a ground ball or a line drive- just like real life.

Quote:

Baseball im really starting to think there is something to the angle of attack you use when hitting. Playing sitting down yesterday, so I had to swing straight if not down, almost all of my hits were grounders.

Most definitely makes a difference.

will work for sushi
post #28 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 PM

I've got a score/rating of 2079 in boxing. The computer opponents have peaked out at the 16xx range. The score is "off the chart", and continues to increase in increments of up to 40-50 per match. I'll have to play some more to see how high it will go.

I am finding opponents in the 1600 range to be extremely quick, not allowing for as many haymakers and uppercuts. Keep in mind I am just becoming comfortable executing all the power punches. As a righty, I find a lot of repeatability with a wild dodge left, left jab and quick hard straight right to the head.

After a while you will be able to almost bait opponents into commiting. Time a perfect dodge, and get a quick punch combo off. Its a delicate balance between finesse and greed.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

In baseball a lot of things make differences. Because when I first was playing homerun derby I used to never get homeruns. Now I swing very hard and have good timing and have knocked out like 6 or 7 in a row. Honestly the more I mimick what I would do in real life, the better I do. If I just worry about only timing I dont get homeruns. If I pay close attention and swing hard they go sailing out.

post #30 of 30 Old 10-10-2008, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

It's kind of odd how often I am correct when I predict an exact age it will list me at for the daily thing which I forget the name of now. lol Wii fitness or something. Anyway today I just "knew" it would say 29 as if I had no doubt whatsoever and then it was indeed 29.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page