React Wii Component Cables -- Audio Problems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone:

I recently purchased the React component cables for the Wii, and notice that the audio is crunching noticeably at peak volumes. This is even noticeable in the "ding" sound when clicking through the various channels. I returned my first cables, assuming I just got a defective set, but the new set I picked up today has exactly the same problem. I'm assuming now that, at $25, React's QA isn't all that thorough...

I've run through all the usual tests -- I never encountered any audio problems when using the original Wii composite cables; the inputs i'm currently using on my tv were used by my cable box for well over a year with no problems; other inputs on my television are producing the same results; when I pipe the whole thing through my receiver (either before the television or after), the same problem occurs.

Any suggestions for fixes? If not, I'll return this set and give the official Nintendo component cables (on the nintendo web site) a shot -- unless anyone has experienced problems with them as well?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 11:16 AM

I'd recommend returning the React cables and just taking the hit on the Nintendo cables. I've had my Nintendo components for just over a month and found no problems with sound distortion at all.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

I'd recommend returning the React cables and just taking the hit on the Nintendo cables. I've had my Nintendo components for just over a month and found no problems with sound distortion at all.

I got the cheapo $12 set from some HK ebayer. They work great for me. No audio issues. The picture looks quite a bit better, but I can't compare to Nintendo brand. Dizzy's advice isn't so bad though, you are usually safe with 1st party.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM

I have the React cables. I've never noticed any distortion at all, and I'm very sensitive to that kind of thing.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

The Wii has distortion issues for a lot of users as it's output runs above normal line-level.

You'll notice that it's much louder than other devices attached to your receiver when switching inputs between other devices.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Heh, Nintendo uses below 7.5IRE brightness (not standard), above 92.5IRE brightness (not standard), and they output a louder than standard audio signal too.....

If the issue is that the Wii is just too "loud", maybe a pair of these would fix it: 6dB attenuator
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback! I've returned the second set of cables to Best Buy, and will be ordering the official Nintendo ones shortly...
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page