post #91 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

Only problem with that is it took over three years to come out with a second gen. So how long will it be before we see the next one?

I don't understand, could you clarify that?

Sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wii first came out in 2006. Now being 2010 they just released there 2nd generation of Wii and we still don't have HDMI. Since it took four years for this newest model to come out, how long till we have to wait for a system from Nintendo that supports HDMI?

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #93 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
What do you mean second generation of Wii? The black one? The only difference is the color.
post #94 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Yep - the black Wii is a white Wii w/ a black outer covering. Nothing else is new, outside of 2 packed in games instead of 1 & a Motion Plus add on for the enclosed Wiimote.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #95 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, the Black Wii isn't quite as comprehensive of a product refresh as the Playstation slim or the Xbox 360 slim. Thanks for playing though.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #96 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I thought it was more than that, like adding netflix.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #97 of 98 Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

I thought it was more than that, like adding netflix.

Thank you for setting me straight.

"Adding Netflix" to the Wii simply requires that you are a Netflix subscriber & that you ordered the free Netflix disc for Wii from them.

Wii/PS3 saw Netflix come to their current consoles via a disc that contains the Netflix app. At the time, it was assumned that Sony & Nintendo got discs due to an exclusive deal btwn the movie renter & MS to feature Netflix on the Live dashboard. Issuing discs to the other consoles passed thru a loophole in the 360 "exclusivity".

Both consoles could have had Netflix on their respective Channel Menu/PSN dashboard (or whatever they call it). In fact, for the Wii version - once the Netflix app is booted up & running, you can actually eject the disc from the Wii - disc is only used to boot up the app, but does nothing once the Wii connects to your Netflix account. And if it has not happened already, there was talk a while back that the PS3 would eventually lose the need for the disc.

Wii Netflix has, IMO, the coolest overall user interface - just point & click w/ the Wiimote...even Grandma can handle it!!! What you lose, of course, is access to HD streaming. The quality of Netflix streaming is kinda all over the place, but as far as comparing std def PQ, all 3 game systems are very comparable. Via Wii, Netflix streaming can be VHS quality all the way up to pretty good DVD quality. Audio is limited to Dolby Pro Logic.

Still, I get a lot of use out of the Netflix Wii app - especially for my kids. We stopped buying Thomas & Friends DVDs for my youngest daughter, for example, as Netflix has virtually every one ever issued available to stream. If I just have to have something from Netflix in HD...well, that's why my disc by mail preferences are set to Blu.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #98 of 98 Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The "original" Wii package...white Wii w/ Wii Sports & no Motion Plus...can be found via several retailers marked down to $149, BTW. Now, $199 gets you Sports Resort & a M+ dongle added to the package.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page