Wii audio output noisy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Wii today, and I've noticed that there is an audible buzz (sounds like typical eletrical interference) at moderate volume levels. This is easily noticeable when the console is silent, even when it's off. Anyone else noticing this? It seems that this has to be the fault of either the cable or (more likely) the console itself.

I am using the mid-level Penguin component cable (which looks a lot thicker than Nintendo's cable, based on pics) plugged directly into a receiver for the time being. I have not noticed any such interference with a cheap line-out cable plugged into an iPod; other inputs are digital.

http://gizmotheque.blogspot.com - design & usability in focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interference and distortion is one of the Wii's notable trademarks. The sound output is clipped from the source, and it's Wi-Fi has been known to create buzzing (which is probably what you are experiencing).

You certainly get what you pay for.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thats bad, am I damaging my receiver or speakers with these over driven outputs?
post #4 of 14 Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just had my first in home wii experience yesterday and also noticed a lot of buzzing.Fortunately,it was only during loading,setup and replay screens.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Suckers...

No buzzing here.

Sony XBR960n - nice to rods, mean to cones.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM

No problems with mine. I wonder what the difference is.

will work for sushi
post #7 of 14 Old 03-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

What cables are you fellas using by the way? I purchased a Wii just yesterday and used the Nintendo branded component video cables and I'm getting the buzz sound whenever audio plays out from the speakers. I noticed this when the Wii was updating online. I'll head back to get a refund and possibly dish out for the Psyclone component cables instead.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

What cables are you fellas using by the way? I purchased a Wii just yesterday and used the Nintendo branded component video cables and I'm getting the buzz sound whenever audio plays out from the speakers. I noticed this when the Wii was updating online. I'll head back to get a refund and possibly dish out for the Psyclone component cables instead.

It's most likely the Wii...Not the cables. I would recommend call Nintendo and getting a replacement.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, when I run the Wii straight to my receiver, the volume output is too high and causes distortion.

When I run it thru my TV and then to the receiver, it's just fine. I guess my TV acts as sort of normalizer(yes, without "Stablesound").

post #10 of 14 Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

I did some testing today and when the Wii is off for a few hours then I turn on my TV I get alot of static/buzzing from the right speaker. I removed the right speaker audio cable from my display and it was gone. If it's a defective Wii I'd much rather have it exchanged than wait. I'll be exchanging the cables tomorrow and if it's the same story then I'll just get a refund completely. I'll test it tonight with the bundled cables to see if the issue occurs.

Well another one bites the dust. On my 4th X360 console and it looks as if I'm headed to my 2nd Wii. It's definitely the system, anywho I called up Nintendo and a new one is on it's way. Drawback is I lost $10 on those Wii points but it'll only take 2-3 days to get here so I suppose it evens out.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot View Post

Actually, when I run the Wii straight to my receiver, the volume output is too high and causes distortion.

When I run it thru my TV and then to the receiver, it's just fine. I guess my TV acts as sort of normalizer(yes, without "Stablesound").

I've been having distortion problems with Zelda: TP for the Gamecube. I have the Gamecube hooked up to my receiver. My brother also has the distorted sound problem with his Gamecube and Zelda when hooked up to his TV. This is the only Gamecube game I've ever had a problem with, so are people noticing distortion with only this game on the Wii or other games as well?
post #12 of 14 Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Even the Wii's main menu is too loud causing distortion.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned in other threads, it's probably a good idea to pick up a pair of 3 decibel in-line RCA attenuators and put them on the Wii audio outputs. This will reduce the over-amplification of the signal.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Just got the Wii system in the mail straight from NOA. The static is no more, well for the most part. At discrete volume levels around 25-30 on my HT audio setup you can't hear it. However, I crank the volume up to 60 during standby and you can hear noise coming from all channels (PLII). I have a 6.1 setup and the noise is coming from 5 speakers of the 7 speakers. As for those 3 decibel in-line RCA attenuators, any idea where to get some quality ones on the cheap?
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page