Wii FIT would you buy? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you purchase the Wii FIT?
YES 128 69.57%
NO 56 30.43%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

I agree - Wii Fit is fine, but most of you are overlooking the great potential in this: using the balance board in other games.

My vote? Wii Skii.

The question is whether other developers will limit their audience by developing games specifically for the wiifit board.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Wii snowboarding, Wii skiing would be great starts. Now, could it handle the impact of FPS games in which you literally run and walk in place on the Wii board for your movement? That would be awesome, combine the wii board with the wii-mote and nun-chuck in the wii blaster configuration and wow, that could be awesome.
post #33 of 45 Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Might even be able to improve the feel of games like boxing, if it can detect "ducks" and "weaves".

Of course, we may be expecting too much responsiveness from it...
post #34 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 01:50 AM

I already put in a preorder for it on amazon.. Looks like it's delayed another month.

I really wanted a game in the same genre as Wii Sports. Not many come close.
post #35 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 AM

WiiFit depends upon a person's BMI, and BMI is one of the poorest means of measuring one's level of physical fitness. I just can't support WiiFit when it's based on such a flawed measure of a person's health.

I'm 6'2" and 202lbs and I am clearly physically fit, but the BMI says that I am overweight. According to the BMI my normal weight ranges from 144 to 194lbs. I have been attempting to gain weight for months because I'm too light. At 180lbs I was far too skinny, what the hell would I look like if I dropped another 36lbs to be at the bottom of my "normal" range? And besides looking like a skeleton, would my internal organs even function at such a light weight?

I heard that BMI is inaccurate with very fit people, and if that's the case then what the hell good is it? What's the point in creating a measurement of a person's physical fitness with the goal being to encourage people to improve their condition only to have that very measurement system fail when people become fit? And under what possible condition could a 6'2" male weigh 144lbs and be healthy and not a malnourished heroin addict? If the BMI is only accurate for obese and unfit people then I doubt they need a BMI measurement to know that they are out of shape. Their bathroom mirror surely does that.

A very handy measurement is a person's body fat percentage and most modern electronic scales have the ability to measure this so why didn't Nintendo add this technology to the balance board? Was this established technology too high tech for this last gen company? Would its functionality go against Nintendo's corporate philosophy of halfassing things? Yea, body fat percentage scales can be inaccurate, but they are very consistent when used properly. And even an inaccurate body fat percentage measurement is infinitely more useful than the utterly useless BMI measurement.
post #36 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hell yeah. Nintendo has a very interactive system. Would continue to buy something that made me move. I think the Japanese are trying to get Americans in shape. I mean, we only are the fattest people in the world. Eating everything up.
Yippie!
post #37 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post

At $69.99, I'm thinking Nintendo has another winner on their hand. Here's a video of Wii Fit demonstration by Gamersyde. It looks to be a system seller in the same way that Wiisports is now.

That video almost seemed to be mocking it.
post #38 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Hell yeah. Nintendo has a very interactive system. Would continue to buy something that made me move. I think the Japanese are trying to get Americans in shape. I mean, we only are the fattest people in the world. Eating everything up.
Yippie!

There's no challenge in staying thin when your nation's food supply consists of cold raw fish and invertebrates from the sea.
post #39 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 View Post

WiiFit depends upon a person's BMI, and BMI is one of the poorest means of measuring one's level of physical fitness. I just can't support WiiFit when it's based on such a flawed measure of a person's health.

I'm 6'2" and 202lbs and I am clearly physically fit, but the BMI says that I am overweight. According to the BMI my normal weight ranges from 144 to 194lbs. I have been attempting to gain weight for months because I'm too light. At 180lbs I was far too skinny, what the hell would I look like if I dropped another 36lbs to be at the bottom of my "normal" range? And besides looking like a skeleton, would my internal organs even function at such a light weight?

I heard that BMI is inaccurate with very fit people, and if that's the case then what the hell good is it? What's the point in creating a measurement of a person's physical fitness with the goal being to encourage people to improve their condition only to have that very measurement system fail when people become fit? And under what possible condition could a 6'2" male weigh 144lbs and be healthy and not a malnourished heroin addict? If the BMI is only accurate for obese and unfit people then I doubt they need a BMI measurement to know that they are out of shape. Their bathroom mirror surely does that.

A very handy measurement is a person's body fat percentage and most modern electronic scales have the ability to measure this so why didn't Nintendo add this technology to the balance board? Was this established technology too high tech for this last gen company? Would its functionality go against Nintendo's corporate philosophy of halfassing things? Yea, body fat percentage scales can be inaccurate, but they are very consistent when used properly. And even an inaccurate body fat percentage measurement is infinitely more useful than the utterly useless BMI measurement.

WiiFit isn't about telling you how fit you are, it's about giving you activities to do that are both fun and healthy. Good grief. Lighten up Francis.
post #40 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishingdad View Post

WiiFit isn't about telling you how fit you are, it's about giving you activities to do that are both fun and healthy. Good grief. Lighten up Francis.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but monitoring the user's fitness seems to be a big part of this non-game. It's called WiiFit, calculates your BMI, and charts your BMI over time. I think this element of the software is what's supposed to make it attractive to nongamers since it give it a big non-gaming attribute.

I don't see the reason why this balance board couldn't have the electronics in it for measuring body fat especially when you consider how widespread those scales are. It would be like selling a calculator without the number 7 on it. I can't help but chalking this up as another example of Nintendo halfassing another aspect of the Wii. I love it, but they cut too many damn corners on the thing.
post #41 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 02:48 PM

Will the balance board be able to measure weight? I might buy it just to have a nice digital scale
post #42 of 45 Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^ What if some people break it

post #43 of 45 Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I havent looked into how the balance board works really, but this did peak my interest yesterday when I was looking into it a little. Although I think I would be kind of annoyed doing yoga poses, but maybe the game will have other things I would like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #44 of 45 Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Has there been any new information on a US release date for the Wii Fit system?? Only google search hits are articles from August saying US sales are Jan 1st 2008 (as in yesterday).
post #45 of 45 Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 View Post

I don't see the reason why this balance board couldn't have the electronics in it for measuring body fat especially when you consider how widespread those scales are.

It could be because the impedance method for measuring BF% found in scales is pretty inaccurate. Though the concerns you bring up regarding BMI are legit, in the long run it is probably a better choice for this application and will work for the majority of people who would use Wii Fit anyway. Just my opinion.

On another note, while I found the parody video funny I would imagine the people who made it have never done yoga if they think it is just "standing around doing nothing".

And a final note; people complaining about kids not going out to play etc....have you folks never heard of inclement weather or the fact that it gets dark at night?
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page