Super Paper Mario - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Super Paper Mario is on sale at Amazon for $39.99, with free shipping. Not a bad deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Liked: 93
$10 off on an awesome game! good find
post #3 of 22 Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

How much is this game like the old Mario games, specifically Super Mario 3? (My favorite game of all time.)

My Specs:

Sony KDF55WF655 HDTV | Pioneer VSX1015TX Receiver | JBL SCS180SC 6.1 Surround Speakers | DirecTV HR20 | HTPC | PlayStation3
post #4 of 22 Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much is this game like the old Mario games, specifically Super Mario 3? (My favorite game of all time.)

Not at all really, it's a slow moving game and has more in common with an RPG.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Ugh. Was Super Mario World the last of that genre?

My Specs:

Sony KDF55WF655 HDTV | Pioneer VSX1015TX Receiver | JBL SCS180SC 6.1 Surround Speakers | DirecTV HR20 | HTPC | PlayStation3
post #6 of 22 Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 PM

New Super Mario Bros for the DS is the game you are looking for
post #7 of 22 Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post

Ugh. Was Super Mario World the last of that genre?

New Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo DS qould probably fit what your looking for.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, guys.

I don't have a DS though =[

My Specs:

post #9 of 22 Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM

I think the answer is obvious then. You need to buy a DS!

Wii, PS3, 360? Ha! The *DS* is the next generation.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

I have actually never owned a handheld game system. I've had just about one of everything else (well, one of each generation), though, dating back to the Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, PlayStation, PS2, XBox360, Wii.

I know Nintendo owns this market. I just don't travel enough, etc. to own one I don't think. I can't imagine playing a handheld over, say the Wii or 360. But, I sure would like to have those types of games again.

I guess there just isn't a market for them anymore?

My Specs:

post #11 of 22 Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post

I guess there just isn't a market for them anymore?

If by 'them' you mean '2D platformers' then the answer is no, just not much of a market for them on the big consoles, other than through the virtual console on the Wii or the Xbox Live Marketplace. On the DS (and to a lesser degree, the PSP) you can find them by the truckload, really. 3D platformers have largely supplanted 2D platformers on the newer consoles.

New Super Mario Brothers on the DS sold some 7 million copies, so I think it's safe to say it was well received.

If you're jonesing for an old-school 2D platformer, I'd either get a DS, or download a game on the Virtual Console.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-10-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

If by 'them' you mean '2D platformers' then the answer is no, just not much of a market for them on the big consoles, other than through the virtual console on the Wii or the Xbox Live Marketplace. On the DS (and to a lesser degree, the PSP) you can find them by the truckload, really. 3D platformers have largely supplanted 2D platformers on the newer consoles.

New Super Mario Brothers on the DS sold some 7 million copies, so I think it's safe to say it was well received.

If you're jonesing for an old-school 2D platformer, I'd either get a DS, or download a game on the Virtual Console.

I'm in the same boat... think I've been looking for the same thing.

I have a 4 year old (with slightly older cousins that also play) and wanted to get some good 2D games like the original marios for her gamecube.

I first bought mario sunshine which is cool, but more 3d. I then tried paper mario which also got good reviews but personally I hate it and think that game is garbage. I ended up picking up the sonic hedgehog sega game that has several retro versions of the franchise on it. I'd have preferred to get the equivalent mario franchise retro multi-pack if it existed on the mario franchise... think she'd love that for years.

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #13 of 22 Old 08-11-2007, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

You really might want to look into a DS, I picked one up not long ago not really sure how much I would use it. It gets LOTS of use though, much more than the Wii. I already have more DS games than Wii games, and my wife loves to play games on the DS. New Super Mario will not disappoint if you love the old 2D games, it's a true sequel to the old classics.

One reason that I end up buying DS games is because of the lower prices as well. Most games are under $30 new (though New Super Mario is around $35).

If you're at all into Zelda you're going to want to play Phantom Hourglass when the English version is released in a few months time as well. I've been playing/translating my way through the Japanese version and it is an excellent game.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 AM

and don't forget, the DS can play Gameboy Advance games, and since the GBA had remakes of ALL the old Mario games (Mario 1, 2, 3, Super Mario World + Yoshis Island) you can have every 2D mario ever made...and finish up with New Super Mario Bros.

By the time you play through all of these, there will probably be another new 2D Mario for the DS.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow this game is this old? I bought it early on and just NOW started playing it. Didn't realize it's been this long.

Anyway is this the game where jwebb mentioned it having some sort of dumbed down help system? or was it new super mario bros. or galaxy or what? I forget. I don't want to be using something in this game if it's something optional meant to be a last resort. So far every it of help I've seemed to get has been something I would assume would never get figured out without the help/tips.

I am on 1-4.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #16 of 22 Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Wow this game is this old? I bought it early on and just NOW started playing it. Didn't realize it's been this long.

It was a GameCube game that was finished well before the Wii even launched (Just like Twilight Princess). But Nintendo decided to port it over to the Wii and cancelled a GameCube release. It was either a launch title or was released during the launch window during the first few months the Wii was on market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Anyway is this the game where jwebb mentioned it having some sort of dumbed down help system? or was it new super mario bros. or galaxy or what? I forget.

The only "dumbed down help system" I'm aware of is in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And there's no way to accidently activate it. You had to die several times on the same level before the game ever asks you if you want to activate it. I've never even seen the notification. If you're a veteran of SMB side scrollers, you'll probably never die enough on one level to have it pop up.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-15-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah that's right. Thanks.

Well I haven't played this today, but it was pretty fun once all the millions of interruptions with text were done.

I haven't even played a non-zelda, non-sports game all the way through since.... I guess the SNES. Oh actually I played Casper all the way through for Saturn.

Got Zelda
post #18 of 22 Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

The only "dumbed down help system" I'm aware of is in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And there's no way to accidently activate it. You had to die several times on the same level before the game ever asks you if you want to activate it. I've never even seen the notification. If you're a veteran of SMB side scrollers, you'll probably never die enough on one level to have it pop up.

To be fair though - I triggered it while looking for the star coins a couple of times - lots of holes to jump down in some levels...
post #19 of 22 Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

It was either a launch title or was released during the launch window during the first few months the Wii was on market.

I guess that depends on how big you consider the launch window. It came out in April of 2007, six months after the Wii was launched. It was a Gamecube game originally, as you point out.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

SMG 2 has a similar feature - after several failed attempts in a particular world, you may be greeted by a ghostly version of Rosalina from the 1st Galaxy game. It will do a "fastest route" auto play thru & earn you a bronze star for the world, but to get the gold, you have to do it yourself.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #21 of 22 Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

I guess that depends on how big you consider the launch window. It came out in April of 2007, six months after the Wii was launched. It was a Gamecube game originally, as you point out.

Thanks, I thought it was much earlier then that. It was scheduled to have been released on the GameCube several months before the Wii launched, so in my memory I have it down as a early Wii title.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was even after April, but I was quite sure it wasn't at launch.

Got Zelda
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page