So I just bought a Gamecube... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my wife has been disappointed in the lack of fun/platformer games on the 360, so last night we stopped by the local GameCrazy and picked up a used GameCube. Also got a used copy of Super Mario Sunshine and a new Twilight Princess. She popped in Zelda and played a bit last night - looks fun so far.

Right now I'm using the standard composite connection - is there really much of an improvement with component (I'm playing on a 42" plasma)? And what's the deal with the Gamecube component cables? They're going for $40-50 on eBay, and I refuse to pay that much (the GCN was only $39.99). Any other leads on these cables or do I just need to keep an eye out at the local shops for a used set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM

I never did comparison tests but I picked some up off of ebay a while ago. Since it's not Wii compatible, I'm not getting much use out of it. I'd be willing to part with it if I can find it.

XBL Gamertag: shagino
PSN Gamertag: shagino
post #3 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Before you begin the hunt for the component cables make sure the GC has the output. Nintendo removed the connection port for the component cable - some have it, some don't.

Just a FWIW

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #4 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, mine does have the output (luckily, since I only now realize that it was removed on later versions). Shagino, send me a pm if you feel like parting with that cable for a reasonable price - thanks!
post #5 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Liked: 93
There was never a 3rd party GCN component cable due to the DAC for conversion to component was in the cable itself, not the console. This caused the price to become obnoxious once Nintendo stopped making the cable. So yeah, keep an eye out at used shops, though I have never seen one in the wild.

Oh yeah, and GCN over component is way nice! Lets you do 480p on all the first party games. At a minimum, go grab an s-video cable to at least clean up the colors. You should be able to find that pretty easy for like $10 or less.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Also, do yourself a favor and get the two Metroid Prime games and Zelda Wind Waker. Those plus the Mario Sunshine that you already have are probably the top 4 games on the system. Lots of fun can be had with Pikmin 2 as well.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just went by my local GameStop on lunch break...scored a used component cable for 5 bucks! Interested to see how much improvement it gives - at that price, whatever it is will be worth it.

Thanks for the advice...
post #8 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

If I remember 480p and WindWaker is great, but get frustrated with Pikman.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #9 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

Right now I'm using the standard composite connection - is there really much of an improvement with component (I'm playing on a 42" plasma)?

Oh yes. Composite GCN video on a decent TV looks muddy, ugly, and everything's darker. I connected two Gamecubes to my TV where one was connected with component video and the other was a crippled system with a composite connection. I copied a Metroid Prime save file onto both and played them simultaneously on a TV with excellent split-screen PiP. The cave where my game started had a back wall with component video but faded into black on the composite system. Mario Kart on the composite system was horrendous - it looked like someone colored the screen with magic markers.

FYI: Do you know that the Wii is almost completely backwards compatible with the GCN?

Quote:

And what's the deal with the Gamecube component cables? They're going for $40-50 on eBay, and I refuse to pay that much (the GCN was only $39.99).

I think Nintendo's been angry about the invention of higher resolution TVs for some time. In the GCN era they gave the machine a component output jack but intentionally made it as difficult as possible to get the cable. Then they finally eliminated it. I think we should be glad Nintendo gave us component video on the Wii because it's a little surprising that they didn't go the other way and eliminate color.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

Just went by my local GameStop on lunch break...scored a used component cable for 5 bucks! Interested to see how much improvement it gives - at that price, whatever it is will be worth it.

Thanks for the advice...

Excellent. After reading the other posts, I realized I probably have the S-Video one. Oops. Glad t worked out though.

XBL Gamertag: shagino
PSN Gamertag: shagino
post #11 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 View Post

FYI: Do you know that the Wii is almost completely backwards compatible with the GCN?

Almost?
post #12 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Yeah, almost. The Gameboy Player doesnt work with it, and neither do the Action Replay type stuff. Oh, no Phantasy Star Online online either.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Ah, gotcha...couldnt think of what might not be compatible.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 PM

haha gameboy player. what a piece of garbage
post #15 of 20 Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 AM

What? Gameboy Player is rad! Excellent way to play the great GBA sprite based RPGs like Golden Sun and the Final Fantasy remakes. I still have one of those on the Gamecube in the bedroom.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

I connected the component cables last night...WOW! I really didn't expect it to be that big a difference, but I was blown away by how much better Twilight Princess looked. Even my wife noticed right off the bat and commented that it looks almost as good as the 360 (I might not go quite that far...).

Forgot to mention that we also got a bonus game in the deal - The Sims 2: Pets was sitting in the disc tray when I first opened it. My wife tried it out, and I may have created a monster. "It's just like your racing game [Test Drive Unlimited] only I don't have to win any races to get the clothes!"

But what's up with it taking 124 freaking blocks for a game save? Of course, I only bought the 59-block memory card, thinking we'd only be playing a couple games. Off to Gamestop again today...

edit: one more video question - I noticed that on component, it doesn't quite fill the screen of my 42" Panasonic. There's maybe 1.5" of black on the right and 1" on the bottom of the screen (it's not pillarboxed - just doesn't fill all the way). Other sources show up fine. Are there any settings on the GC I can mess with?
post #17 of 20 Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
GC games (and even some Wii ones, it seems) use quite a bit of underscan. This is normal considering the system was designed to be used, it seems, mostly with 480i based non HDTV's.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #18 of 20 Old 10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i have a component GC as well. it's great.

i would also recommend wind waker over twilight princess. i thought WW looked a lot better, the "realistic" art style of TP doesn't really work with the GC's horsepower.

paper mario thousand year door is also excellent. if your wife likes platform games, starfox adventures also looks fabulous, and is quite fun (zelda style play).

beyond good and evil as well, though that one is hard to track down now.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #19 of 20 Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

beyond good and evil as well, though that one is hard to track down now.

Played that one on the original XBox - and yeah, it was hard to track down a couple years ago. Her favorite game ever, though. I wish they'd make a sequel.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 AM

To the poster who said the Game Boy Player was garbage; you have no idea what you're talking about. Along with the component cables, it is a must have for the Gamecube. There are literally dozens of must have GBA games that you can play on any TV. I have mine hooked up via component to a 47" 1080p LCD and it is awesome. You can adjust the screen in the menus to fill the entire screen and the resolution is great. This is how Metroid and Castlevania was meant to be played; on a big screen with a Gamecube Wavebird controller. Oh yeah, get a couple Wavebirds if you can find them. Gamecube is the best value in video games right now. You can pick them up used for $30 at Play N Trade. Here's a list of my favorite games in no particular order. Some are easy to find and are cheap. Some are near impossible to find and rather expensive.

Gamecube
-Zelda Wind Waker (easy to find)
-Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requim (near impossibe to find)
-Zelda Collectors Disc - Original Zelda, Zelda II, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (hard to find and expensive)
-Zelda Ocarina of time and Master Quest (hard to find)
-Ikaruga (hard to find and expensive)
-Zelda-Four Swords
-Metroid Prime and Prime 2 (easy to find)
-F-zero GX (hard to find but cheap)
-Metal Gear Solid-The Twin Snakes
-Resident Evil 4 (if you have Wii, get that one instead)
-Resident Evil (original remake)
-Rogue Squadron II

GameBoy Advance
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
-Metroid: Zero Mission
-Metroid Fusion
-All the Super Mario Advance Games 1-4
-WarioWare Inc.: Mega MicroGame$
-WarioWare Twisted
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

I know I left some out, but if you come across any of these titles, pick them up. Thay are all must haves.

Cheers.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page