Wii System Update v3.1 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > Nintendo > Wii System Update v3.1

Nintendo

darklordjames's Avatar darklordjames
05:08 AM Liked: 93
post #1 of 6
10-10-2007 | Posts: 7,909
Some new Wii system software is out, bring it up to 3.1. A new version of the Internet Channel and Everybody Votes is also out. I have no idea what's new at this point, but I would guess that USB keyboard support was added to just about everything. I'll test it tomorrow.
scs0's Avatar scs0
07:11 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 6
10-10-2007 | Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Some new Wii system software is out, bring it up to 3.1. A new version of the Internet Channel and Everybody Votes is also out. I have no idea what's new at this point, but I would guess that USB keyboard support was added to just about everything. I'll test it tomorrow.

Would the Neo-Geo emulator be part of this update? I would imagine that the VC emulators are separate from the games themselves. How does this not eat into the 512MB of internal flash? Does the Wii have a separate piece of memory for the system itself?
DanLW's Avatar DanLW
11:54 AM Liked: 29
post #3 of 6
10-10-2007 | Posts: 1,332
It would make sense that the Wii would have a separate section of flash/EEPROM memory of some sort reserved just for the OS and nothing else. To bad the Wii doesn't have detailed specs. It would be interesting to know how much space is reserved for the OS. It could be the same physical memory as the 512MB - as in it may really be 1GB of internal memory, but the OS is written such that 512MB is reserved for the OS an 512MB is reserved for user data. Kinda like having two partitions on one hard drive.
01:35 PM Liked: 93
post #4 of 6
Nah. Back when I got my Wii, one of the first things I did is figure out how the flash memory is divided. I'm a geek like that. By dropping a couple files onto an SD card adn looking at them on a computer you see that 1 "block" on the Wii equals 128KB (if my memory serves me ). Multiplying that out by how many blocks are available for user access, you see that the Wii's flash is divided into two equal pieces of 256MB each. 256MB for user stuff, 256MB for system stuff. Another thing that one notices is that the emulators for VC games are packed into the ROM for the game. Looking at Mario 64 for example, you see that the VC download is 11MB. Mario 64 is an 8MB ROM in the wild, so that leaves 3MB for the emulator. It makes sense for them to do it like that really, as they can custom tailor the emulator per each ROM. This works better in the real world than a system like the PSP uses, where the PSone emulator is part of the OS. Better compatability for the particular game being sold.
01:56 PM Liked: 93
post #5 of 6
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/10/wi...ced-everybody/

And yup! USB keyboard support was added to everything. Makes the machine a pretty cool WebTV type device now.
BASHERS33's Avatar BASHERS33
01:12 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 6
10-11-2007 | Posts: 4,179
I am starting to have to agree that Nintendo is really doing a lot they don't "have" to do. They could just sit back while this console keeps selling and is rpedicted to hugely rack up this holiday season. But instead they are still improving and not forgetting those who bought it before they did the changes.
Reply Nintendo

Subscribe to this Thread