Newbie here - need your help to buy my first console. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I want to buy a game console for my nephew who will be 6 years old in december. I have been told to get the Wii, as this has the best games for a six years old kid. Play Station is the other I am considering, but games seem to be best suited for older boys (too much violence for the youngest)

The game consoles (PS, 360 and Wii) are expensive in my country, but a friend of mine could buy in Panama and bring it to me. As this would be a "one time opportunity", I need to know what to buy, which extras/accesories and games, so that I can buy them all to take fully adventage of this opportunity.

I appreciate your advise to help me choose what I need.

My questions:

1. I would like your confirmation/comments about Wii being the best option for a 6yr kid.

2. The Wii can be connected to the TV via component, composite or S-video. Is there any clear adventage of component over the other two?

3. Would it be much better to use the Wii with a 26-32" LCD tv, compared with a "normal" 27 tv? Is there a big difference?

4. I believe the Wii includes one Remote and one Nunchuk - please confirm if this is so.
Do I need to buy one extra Remote and one extra Nunchuck for multi player games? Or this will be a waste of money? Appreciate your comments.

5. Should I buy extra battery and/or battery charger for the remote? Which ones to buy?

6. Any other accesory that I should buy?

7. Last: which are the better games for young kids (6-7 yrs) ?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

1. I would like your confirmation/comments about Wii being the best option for a 6yr kid.
Actually, I think a PS2 or Gamecube would be the best option for a 6-year old- but for the next gen systems, the Wii offers more content suited to that age range.

2. The Wii can be connected to the TV via component, composite or S-video. Is there any clear adventage of component over the other two?
Yes, a component connection will allow the Wii to display at 480p resolution, if your TV supports it. All HDTV's and EDTV's support 480p. If your TV does not support 480p, you may notice a slight improvement in PQ with component over S-Video. It would likely be unnoticable to your child, but I say use the best option available.

3. Would it be much better to use the Wii with a 26-32" LCD tv, compared with a "normal" 27 tv? Is there a big difference?
Well, 480p (though the LCD would be upscaling it to it's native res) would look better than 480i via your "normal" set... whether or not there is a "big" difference, is debatable.

4. I believe the Wii includes one Remote and one Nunchuk - please confirm if this is so.
Do I need to buy one extra Remote and one extra Nunchuck for multi player games? Or this will be a waste of money? Appreciate your comments.

It does come with one nunchuk and one Wiimote. I recommend buying another, as many Wii games are party-type multiplayer games.

5. Should I buy extra battery and/or battery charger for the remote? Which ones to buy?
I find the battery life in a Wiimote to be pretty good. I use plain 'ol Duracell rechargeables. I don't play the Wii constantly, though, so my mileage varies. When I first got it and was playing it a lot, the duracells lasted me about two weeks.

I recommend the classic controller, an old gamecube controller, a gamecube memory card, and maybe an SD card.

I'll be honest here, I'm not sure as I wouldn't buy any games for a child in that range... Legend of Zelda Twilight princess might be okay for a 6 year old... The Spryo the Dragon games on gamecube are a suggestion (my wife loves those), and there's always the older games available via the Virtual Console.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Tenkaipalm, thanks for your very complete answer.

A couple of things:

QUOTE:Actually, I think a PS2 or Gamecube would be the best option for a 6-year old- but for the next gen systems, the Wii offers more content suited to that age range.UNQUOTE.

Appreciate if you can tell me why? And...what about PS3?

QUOTE 6. Any other accesory that I should buy?
I recommend the classic controller, an old gamecube controller, a gamecube memory card, and maybe an SD card.UNQUOTE.

What would be the use for these accesories?

Regards
post #4 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

A used PS2 and a GameCube would almost be best. The Wii is a nice piece of hardware for casual gaming but it's expensive and doesn't have a large library of games. The PS3 (if you pay more) has PS2 compatibility but has an even worse choice of native titles. The XBox360 may or may not have reliability issues and has a large stable of more mature games.

The PS2 is great because right out of the gate you have access to a huge assortment of titles for all ages, a lot of which aren't very expensive either due to their age. The GameCube nets you access to at least some of Nintendo's library, which is usually kid-friendly.

In reality the Wii is not so much a game platform as much as it is a concept or idea... take away the wiimote (and its interest) and then what. Besides, you can't play "Kingdom Hearts" or Harry Potter or Psychonauts or Jak and Daxter on a Wii. Walk into any game or rental store and bam, there are gonna be loads of PS2 games.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If this is a one time thing and you can't make a return on the hardware then you can't really get an X360. I hate to say that, but it's life at this point.

I agree that a PS2 is your best bet. A PS3 would be nice, but price will be an issue for games and such for a couple years. The PS2 has tons of wonderful games at cheap prices now.

Gamecube is cool, but it has less games to choose from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #6 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM

At this point it's pretty much between the Wii or PS2. The PS2 gives you a huge game library where you will be able to find games for your nephew even as he gets older. The Wii doesn't have a huge list of games right now, but your nephew will have a blast with it. With Wii Sports, Carnival Games, Mario Galaxy coming in November, it would be hard to disappoint with a Wii.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignacio49 View Post

Appreciate if you can tell me why? And...what about PS3?

PS2 and GC are dirt cheap and have a lot of "kid" games. As for the PS3, you'd have to be on crack to pay $500-600 for a gift for a 6 year old.

Quote:
What would be the use for these accesories?

Classic controller is good for playing the old Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Genesis etc. games that can be bought and downloaded on the Wii.

Gamecube controller and Gamecube memory card are necessary to play Gamecube games on the Wii.

SD card isn't really needed, just for backing up stuff or putting mp3s or photos on the Wii. Definitely no need for a 6 year old.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

PS2 and GC are dirt cheap and have a lot of "kid" games. As for the PS3, you'd have to be on crack to pay $500-600 for a gift for a 6 year old......

HAHAHAHAHA....

Well, I wouldn't mind to have a blue ray ..... I have to find out what I can do with it to justify buying it... I have seen LCD tv's using demos based on blue ray material that look almost like the real thing...but have no idea if PS3 allows me to play "blue ray movies", and, more important by far, availability and price of blue ray material will be the key factor, provided this format survives the war -difficult to know at this time.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 AM

There are a lot of games you can play on the Wii so it does have a large library. Remember, Game Cube games, Nintendo, SNES, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16, and Neo Geo games are all available at a somewhat low cost. You can probably buy a lot of the top Game Cube hits used. Then when you've gone through some of those, of course you can buy some of the older Wii games that are already considered hits at a discount as well. Raving Rabbids is already at a lower price and that is a great kid game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG1215 View Post

At this point it's pretty much between the Wii or PS2. The PS2 gives you a huge game library where you will be able to find games for your nephew even as he gets older. The Wii doesn't have a huge list of games right now, but your nephew will have a blast with it. With Wii Sports, Carnival Games, Mario Galaxy coming in November, it would be hard to disappoint with a Wii.

post #10 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA....

Well, I wouldn't mind to have a blue ray ..... I have to find out what I can do with it to justify buying it... I have seen LCD tv's using demos based on blue ray material that look almost like the real thing...but have no idea if PS3 allows me to play "blue ray movies", and, more important by far, availability and price of blue ray material will be the key factor, provided this format survives the war -difficult to know at this time.

The PS3 will play Blu Ray movies--that's the main reason it's so expensive. Blu Ray movie discs are pricey still though, most everything is $25-30. But I'm a bit confused, if you're buying it as a gift for your nephew, would you get to use it that often? i.e. does he live with you or something?

Also, there's strong rumors of a 40gb hard drive PS3 model coming out soon for $399.99 packed with Spider-man 3, so you may want to wait for that one. Downside of that model is they took out backwards compatibility, so it cannot play PS2 games unlike the prior 20 and 60GB models which could play every PS2 game, and the 80GB model which can play many (it uses software emulation, rather than having PS2 hardware inside the machine as the 20 and 60gb models do).
post #11 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 PM

A used N64 or PS2 would be great.
If your little one tends to be rough on things, keep in mind the N64's game cartridges are more durable than a CD. Also Goldeneye/Perfect Dark would be fun games for you.
Mario Kart for both of you.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM

I don't know if it's the "best" since video games are video games to kids, but my nieces and nephews seem to like it. If it's just going to be for kids then it might be the best option since its games are cheaper than the other two new consoles.

The PS3 doesn't have much of a library, and the 360 is a notoriously unreliable console. If you live in Central America then the hassle of sending the thing in for repair every other month would get old real quick.

The use of the component video cable results in the truest image possible from the Wii. I compared the Gamecube with both cables and the difference is incredible. One of my local stores has a Gamecube connected to a widescreen LCD TV using either composite or S-Video. I'm not sure which but it may be composite. The video is terrible. The colors are off, muddy, and the image is totally blurry. Some complain that the component video cable results in a grainy image, but overall the true component video is much better than the muddy and fuzzy composite video.

I've heard that the old style TV present standard definition better than modern sets, but you lose out on other things. With an old TV you probably won't have widescreen and progressive scan support. I'm one of those who'd rather have an imperfect but wide screen image than a crisp but 4:3 image.

Every Wii package I've ever heard of contains one and only one remote and nunchuck. Every multiplayer game I've played required a controller for each person, but I think Wario Ware requires passing the remote around like a hot potato. FYI: Many games do not require a nunchuck.

Get WiiPlay. It's a disc of tech demos like WiiSports but it comes with a remote. The price is $10 more than the remote alone.

The battery charger makes life a lot easier. I have the Nyko and it's worked fine, but I found that the copper contacts have corroded and when I place them in the charger the lights do unexpected things. Sometimes it looks like the controller isn't in contact with the base at all, but my remotes are always charged and ready to go.

The classic controller accessory is handy if you plan to download SNES games onto the system. But if you buy the classic controller to be a little clumsy to hold there's a 3rd party adapter that enlarges it to the size of a modern controller.

I don't have many tips since I mainly buy the older games but here I go:

WiiSports - The Wii will come with this
WiiPlay - Shallow WiiSports-like game but it's only $10 due to being packaged with a remote.
Mario Party 8 - Heard this is a good multiplayer experience
Carnival Games - Heard good things about this one too
[b]Excite Truck[b] - Fun and simple racing game. It's old so you may find a cheap used copy somewhere.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

...... But I'm a bit confused, if you're buying it as a gift for your nephew, would you get to use it that often? i.e. does he live with you or something?....

I pick up my nephew at school everyday, and he stays with me 2-3 hrs until his dad gets home. We (bro and me) live very close.
My thinking now is to get a Wii and a PS2 or PS3, for Christmas. One game will be in my brother's place, the other in mine. This is why I am thinking about PS3 to have it with me.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your very good comments and suggestions. I was at "cero level" last night, and now I am in the position to make an inteligent decision.

One more question:
CNet review of Wii says that "composite cables don't support the Wii's top resolution of 480p, so HDTV owners will want to also purchase a set of Wii component cables (sold separately)"
Does this mean that I can not use my "regular" component cables (RCA connectors) that I use in my A/V setup? Do I have to buy "special Wii cables".. because (I guess) the connectors are different (non RCA)?
post #15 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does this mean that I can not use my "regular" component cables (RCA connectors) that I use in my A/V setup? Do I have to buy "special Wii cables".. because (I guess) the connectors are different (non RCA)?

Correct. The ends you connect to your A/V system are standard, but the end that connects into the Wii is not.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page