Super Mario Galaxy Reviews - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 4  5  6
Nintendo > Super Mario Galaxy Reviews
slicecom's Avatar slicecom 11:28 AM 11-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Just the first line sounded snide. The pictures were valuable and appreciated.

I had a receiver between them, but in my further testing I removed it thinking that it could be the problem. No dice. I think I may require a focus adjustment on my TV. Notice in your screenshot that the 3 in the Life meter is crisp and clear around the edges. On mine, the 3 (and everything else) is blurry. It's like watching an SD channel after seeing the HD version, everything just looks softer and generally out of focus. I was assuming that it was due to the 480p resolution, but after seeing your shots I think I may have other issues. I made a first attempt at adjusting the focus last night, but quickly discovered that I'm going to need another set of eyes. I'll keep this updated as I find out more.

Hmm... I have no idea what the problem could be, but one of the main things I noticed about SMG is how clear it seemed. It seems a lot more clear and crisp than Zelda TP on the same system and TV.

Hopefully someone can help you out?

Also, for a side by side comparison of Sunshine and Galaxy, check this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
krimson's Avatar krimson 11:52 AM 11-30-2007
bbexp, are you comparing M64 and Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy using the same tv? It almost sounds like you played the older games on a CRT set where you were playing in the native resolution and are comparing those to playing on your Wii with the graphics suffering from upscaling. The game isn't going to look as good as the screenshot above unless you have a 480p native set.

Just figured it would be good to bring this up so you don't start tearing your home theatre apart looking for a problem that might not exist.
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 12:13 PM 11-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

bbexp, are you comparing M64 and Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy using the same tv? It almost sounds like you played the older games on a CRT set where you were playing in the native resolution and are comparing those to playing on your Wii with the graphics suffering from upscaling. The game isn't going to look as good as the screenshot above unless you have a 480p native set.

Just figured it would be good to bring this up so you don't start tearing your home theatre apart looking for a problem that might not exist.

I don't know if that's a true statement though. According to WizarDru, he's getting those results using a 43" plasma, which I'm sure isn't 480p. Also, the screen shot from Galaxy is in widescreen, so that probably isn't 480p either.

I thought of another thing to try tonight. I'll hook the Wii up to the 61" Samsung upstairs (same model as the 56" I'm using normally) which I know doesn't have any focus issues and I'll see if the problem exists there.
slicecom's Avatar slicecom 12:16 PM 11-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I don't know if that's a true statement though. According to WizarDru, he's getting those results using a 43" plasma, which I'm sure isn't 480p. Also, the screen shot from Galaxy is in widescreen, so that probably isn't 480p either.

I thought of another thing to try tonight. I'll hook the Wii up to the 61" Samsung upstairs (same model as the 56" I'm using normally) which I know doesn't have any focus issues and I'll see if the problem exists there.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it looks!
WizarDru's Avatar WizarDru 12:28 PM 11-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I don't know if that's a true statement though. According to WizarDru, he's getting those results using a 43" plasma, which I'm sure isn't 480p. Also, the screen shot from Galaxy is in widescreen, so that probably isn't 480p either.

I thought of another thing to try tonight. I'll hook the Wii up to the 61" Samsung upstairs (same model as the 56" I'm using normally) which I know doesn't have any focus issues and I'll see if the problem exists there.

If I get a chance, I'll try and take a screenshot off of my Pioneer Elite and post it here, for comparison purposes. Like slicecom mentions, it should be (and appears to me) to be pretty sharp, particularly that health counter. SMG does have some aliasing, but nothing like Zelda:TP. That screenshot of SMG above pretty much looks exactly like my screen.
krimson's Avatar krimson 02:55 PM 11-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I don't know if that's a true statement though. According to WizarDru, he's getting those results using a 43" plasma, which I'm sure isn't 480p. Also, the screen shot from Galaxy is in widescreen, so that probably isn't 480p either.

That screenshot is not from his TV he linked to the image from GameSpot. It looks to be a direct pull from the framebuffer. The resulting upscaled image is going to vary from set to set.
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 07:37 PM 11-30-2007
After much toying with focus and other settings, it's definitely better now. It's still not as crisp as the picture implies it should be, but better than it was. The only other thing I could think of was the cables. What brand of component cables do you guys use? Currently I'm using the "upgraded" variety from Penguin United.

I think part of my problem was that my expectations were/are too high. After all the raving about the graphics (in various places - not just here) I was expecting near-HD quality. From what I've seen the Wii just can't deliver, especially when the picture is as large as I'm trying to make it, and for that I'm very disappointed. Maybe next time around Nintendo will recognize that there are a few people out there that actually care about HD quality.

While we're on the subject of graphics quality on the Wii, has anyone played Metroid Prime 3? That's definitely one I'll be getting. Does it look better, worse or about the same as Galaxy? I'm not asking for game reviews here, but just opinions on the look of it.
BASHERS33's Avatar BASHERS33 08:15 PM 11-30-2007
I don't see why people consider graphics horrible on anything honestly. I still am fine with N64 graphics. OoT is the greates game of all time, who cares about graphics. To me I even love that game's graphics still. When graphics are too good it isn't as much of a fantasy game in a way.
darklordjames's Avatar darklordjames 08:40 PM 11-30-2007
"has anyone played Metroid Prime 3?"

MP3 and Galaxy are the two best looking games on the Wii. Very similar bloom and depth of field effects are used. Aliasing is minimal in both titles.
dmaul1114's Avatar dmaul1114 10:44 AM 12-01-2007
Galaxy looks a little better than MP3. MP3 has more jaggies, and underscan. But is still a good looking game.

Those are the only 2 games I've played on the Wii that I thought looked better than Gamecube games.
LR6AGB001's Avatar LR6AGB001 11:43 PM 12-01-2007
It's unfortunate that some gamers out there won't give it the time of day if it isn't HD but overall the gaming experience for Mario Galaxy was enjoyable. Loved it all and the ending had my kid sister in tears. Best Wii game available and a definite GOTY contender.
And by the way, don't skimp on cables just get the official Nintendo cables. Looks amazing on my 52" DLP with the help of color correction thread that was posted for the Wii a few months ago. Afterwards there was no need to tweak a thing. Enjoy the game fellas.
slicecom's Avatar slicecom 07:29 AM 12-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

It's unfortunate that some gamers out there won't give it the time of day if it isn't HD but overall the gaming experience for Mario Galaxy was enjoyable.


Agreed. I like to be blown away by crazy graphics as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather play a quality game over a game that blows me away visually, but not much more. Nintendo has obviously discovered that most people are the same, as their DS and Wii have substantially less graphical power than the competition, yet are blowing away the competition in sales. Sure there are a select few fans who like graphics over gameplay that Nintendo will lose, but look at all they're gaining. Before Wii came out, people we're predicting Nintendo's exit of the hardware market, especially after they showed the Wii has not much more power than the GC, but they have proven the naysayers wrong.
BASHERS33's Avatar BASHERS33 09:50 AM 12-02-2007
Yeah it's funny it was once rumored Nintendo would never make another console after the Gamecube becuase of it finishing third in the 3 man race.
PDCL's Avatar PDCL 01:41 PM 12-02-2007
I'm with you on the graphics. I play old games all the time. I have the Wii and a 360. Whichever has the fun games is the one I play. Right now, it's both systems.
frankthetoad's Avatar frankthetoad 05:47 AM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

And by the way, don't skimp on cables just get the official Nintendo cables. Looks amazing on my 52" DLP with the help of color correction thread that was posted for the Wii a few months ago. Afterwards there was no need to tweak a thing. Enjoy the game fellas.

I did a search and didn't see a thread with
"color correction" referenced in the title. Does anyone know where this thread is?
WizarDru's Avatar WizarDru 07:30 AM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

After much toying with focus and other settings, it's definitely better now. It's still not as crisp as the picture implies it should be, but better than it was. The only other thing I could think of was the cables. What brand of component cables do you guys use? Currently I'm using the "upgraded" variety from Penguin United.

I'm using Nintendo's own component cables that I ordered directly from them, pre-launch. Didn't get a chance to take a picture over the weekend, but that screen-cap is pretty much what I normally see when playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I think part of my problem was that my expectations were/are too high. After all the raving about the graphics (in various places - not just here) I was expecting near-HD quality. From what I've seen the Wii just can't deliver, especially when the picture is as large as I'm trying to make it, and for that I'm very disappointed. Maybe next time around Nintendo will recognize that there are a few people out there that actually care about HD quality.

I think they DID recognize that fact...and they also recognized that they wouldn't win by playing to that market. I wish the Wii had more power, too...but on the flip-side, the success of the Virtual Console shows that a lot of folk are still into the gameplay aspect as much as the graphics. But the Wii is nowhere's near capable of the feats that the 360 or PS3 can perform. There will be no Assassin's Creed on the Wii. It just can't handle something like that, even at a lower resolution. Any raving about SMG's graphics should be taken in the context "...for the Wii" tacked on at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

While we're on the subject of graphics quality on the Wii, has anyone played Metroid Prime 3? That's definitely one I'll be getting. Does it look better, worse or about the same as Galaxy? I'm not asking for game reviews here, but just opinions on the look of it.

Metroid Prime 3 has some serious jaggies at times, but the art direction is fantastic. In some ways I consider it much nicer looking than SMG, though in other ways it's poorer. Visually it's a feast, even if it's not an HD feast.
benjamin-benjami's Avatar benjamin-benjami 09:49 AM 12-03-2007
so i just finished the game and i think it is head and shoulders better then galaxy (but it is still no super mario world)...everytime i play a mario game i think about how hard it would be to pitch an idea like that.....

Let's make a game with a princess...............ok, good idea
But let's make the hero a overweight, italian plumber.......HUH are you serious
That gets big when he eats shrooms........What????
And his arch enemy can be a cross between a dragon and a turtle with some horns...... are you out of your mind

it is amazing the type of things that are successful.... this is a great game...
LR6AGB001's Avatar LR6AGB001 10:27 AM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I did a search and didn't see a thread with
"color correction" referenced in the title. Does anyone know where this thread is?

I can't seem to find the thread atm but for the time being you could use this. The idea was to use the Internet Channel and open up a SMPTE color bar pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_color_bars

Of course, you'll need color filters.
WizarDru's Avatar WizarDru 01:14 PM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

so i just finished the game and i think it is head and shoulders better then galaxy (but it is still no super mario world)...everytime i play a mario game i think about how hard it would be to pitch an idea like that.....

Let's make a game with a princess...............ok, good idea
But let's make the hero a overweight, italian plumber.......HUH are you serious
That gets big when he eats shrooms........What????
And his arch enemy can be a cross between a dragon and a turtle with some horns...... are you out of your mind

it is amazing the type of things that are successful.... this is a great game...

Yeah, but in Japan, the exchange went like this:

I would like to make a game with a princess. ... OK, Good Idea.
But I would like him to be an overweight, Italian Plumber. ... I see.
That gets big when he eats mushroom. ... Hmmmm.
And his nemesis is a Giant Turtle King. ... Really?
Yes.

..

Can you put a Squid in there, somewhere?
dmaul1114's Avatar dmaul1114 05:09 PM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post

Agreed. I like to be blown away by crazy graphics as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather play a quality game over a game that blows me away visually, but not much more.

True, but of course the best case scenario is for games to blow you way with great gameplay AND top notch graphics.

But gameplay definitely comes first. Still, I won't lie and say that I wouldn't enjoy Mario Galaxy, Zelda: TP and Metroid Prime 3 EVEN MORE if they had 360 caliber graphics.
slicecom's Avatar slicecom 05:25 PM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

Still, I won't lie and say that I wouldn't enjoy Mario Galaxy, Zelda: TP and Metroid Prime 3 EVEN MORE if they had 360 caliber graphics.

Haha Agreed.
BASHERS33's Avatar BASHERS33 08:59 PM 12-03-2007
I just think SURELY they could have had better graphics in some way or another without raising the cost so drastically.
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 09:00 PM 12-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

Still, I won't lie and say that I wouldn't enjoy Mario Galaxy, Zelda: TP and Metroid Prime 3 EVEN MORE if they had 360 caliber graphics.

That was sort of my point. I enjoy Galaxy, but I kept thinking, "How much better would this be with great graphics to go with it?".

By the way, problem solved for me and my Wii graphics. For those who are interested the problem turned out to be DNIe, or more precisely, a lack of DNIe. Samsung DLPs have a setting/function called DNIe that's basically a bunch of processing done by the TV to make images look "better". Pro calibrators tell you to turn it off because it adds processing to images that shouldn't have it, like DVDs or high-def broadcasts. Turning it on for those things can have some nasty effects. Anyway, just for kicks I turned it back on for the component connection used by the Wii and viola, clear as day. A little sharpness adjustment and ALL the blurriness was removed. I'm now getting images as good or better than the screen caps shown. And, yes, it does make the game more fun.
benjamin-benjami's Avatar benjamin-benjami 09:06 AM 12-04-2007
i don't know i think the whole graphics thing is overblown when it comes to mario. Don't get me wrong, when i play Rainbow 6, mass effect, etc.. i care about graphics, but games like mario galaxy or mario kart, i could care less....
dmaul1114's Avatar dmaul1114 10:25 AM 12-05-2007
I care less about graphics in a Mario game, but having less jaggies etc. would still add to my enjoyment.
sherbert16's Avatar sherbert16 03:46 PM 12-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"has anyone played Metroid Prime 3?"

MP3 and Galaxy are the two best looking games on the Wii. Very similar bloom and depth of field effects are used. Aliasing is minimal in both titles.

I love MP3. Great colors and weapons! Must have for the Wii!
ZManCartFan's Avatar ZManCartFan 08:46 AM 01-01-2008
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just picked up SMG a couple of days ago. I've only got 10 stars so far, but I thought I'd post a quick initial impression.

I haven't really enjoyed a Mario game since Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo (I'm really a 2-D kind of guy), and this includes Mario 64. The 3-D ones have been OK, but I'm one of the 2% of people who actually suffers from motion sickness from 3-D games.

But SMG is fun. The graphics are quite impressive for the Wii, and the controls are instantly familiar. I like that they've simplified a lot of the moves, as I can focus more on the gameplay than trying to mash buttons or push sticks at the exact time that I need to.

I find that the upside down and sideways portions still leave me feeling a little dizzy and disoriented. But as long as I get up and walk away every few minutes, I'm ready to come back for more.

My 6- and 4-year old boys are enjoying it as well (they love Mario 64), but they're finding it a little difficult so far. They keep handing me the controls and asking me to help. But they're catching on, and I think with more practice they'll be able to hold their own.

Overall, it's well worth the price of admission. It's been a while since I've found myself thinking about a game and counting down the minutes until I can go play again. I think Nintendo has finally found a game that's going to sell the console other than the included Wii Sports.
thedge's Avatar thedge 08:59 AM 01-01-2008
Instant classic.

Although SM64 had the newness factor of 3d, this SMG takes the cake in combining all great elements of prior marios and more. Bottom line, it is a very fun game to play for everyone. Both kids and adults in our house are loving it.
joerod's Avatar joerod 09:20 AM 01-01-2008
We are enjoying it over here. It has been getting some serious play still since Christmas.
Sundull's Avatar Sundull 01:48 PM 01-01-2008
Once you go to the center of the universe, is that the end of the game? How many stars can you get there?
First ... 4  5  6

Up
Mobile  Desktop