Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Yes or No? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So am I the only one who thinks that Lego Star Wars and the Wii were meant for each other? The WiiRemote is the perfect controller for swinging around as a light sabre. And the graphics aren't going to be that much better on the XBox360 or PS3, so why waste the extra cash? I picked up a copy for the Wii earlier today, but due to a bout with carpal tunnel syndrome, I'm not playing it for a while.

Does anyone thinks that the XBox360 and PS3 versions would have been a better choice? I'm an equal-opportunity gamer as I have all 3 platforms. The Wii just seemed more appropriate for this title.

What say ye all?

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I was really looking forward to this title, but then I read a review that said the wiimote motions were not a 1:1 control for the lightsabre moves...you just waggle the thing around a bunch and the action on screen is completely different.

This is exactly what bothered me about the Spiderman game. ("Shake the Wii remote & nunchuk to remove the hostage's chains".) Yeah, that's realistic.
post #3 of 26 Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 PM

I'd personally go with the PS3 or 360 version for 2 reasons.

1. If you have an HDTV (if you don't this is a non-issue) the game will render in an HD resolution and won't look fugly as hell on your TV.

2. All the Wii version is going to offer is Wii waggle controls. Basically instead of pushing a button to swing your lightsaber your going to shake your remote and this WILL get tiresome FAST.

Anyone who expected 1:1 must be delusional. No offense to anybody who expected 1:1 but the only game it's found it's way into thus far that I know of is Wii Sports Baseball with the way the bat moves before your swing. Hopefully an innovative game will come along and introduce 1:1 controls but it sure as hell won't be Lego Star Wars.
post #4 of 26 Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got the Wii version. I have a PS3 and 360 but never plan to play this game online, co-op or otherwise. I should get it tomorrow or Thursday. I've "almost" confirmed it is 480p widescreen. For this game, that's good enough for me. I played the 360 demo from way back and know it can look really good in HD but 480p will be plenty, just really wanted another Wii game before Galaxy. Recently got Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 and COD4 for the 360 to add to my pile of games for those systems and don't need too many more right now.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got it yesterday. It is 480p widescreen. Doesn't look as good as the 720p 360 version (duh). There are some minor frame/refresh issues in wierd places but other than that, looks OK and plays well. Can't wait to play 2 player with my nephew. He'll get a kick out of it before he gets his own Wii come Christmas.
The Wii controls are pretty good in my opinion. For every motion that can be performed with the remote and nunchuck, there is an assigned button and each action can be performed in any way whenever. Of course it can be played without any motion at all but I actually like using it. I've only ever played the Xbox Live Demo so its all new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I got the Wii version. I have a PS3 and 360 but never plan to play this game online, co-op or otherwise. I should get it tomorrow or Thursday. I've "almost" confirmed it is 480p widescreen. For this game, that's good enough for me. I played the 360 demo from way back and know it can look really good in HD but 480p will be plenty, just really wanted another Wii game before Galaxy. Recently got Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 and COD4 for the 360 to add to my pile of games for those systems and don't need too many more right now.

post #6 of 26 Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the post Wesley, I'm seriously considering this title. Anyone else have a chance to play this one?
post #7 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

I'll post my review on the day after Christmas. The elves are busy making this one for my kids right now!
post #8 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

Anyone who expected 1:1 must be delusional. No offense to anybody who expected 1:1 but the only game it's found it's way into thus far that I know of is Wii Sports Baseball with the way the bat moves before your swing. Hopefully an innovative game will come along and introduce 1:1 controls but it sure as hell won't be Lego Star Wars.

When my son plays Harry Potter and wants to cast a levitating spell, he waves the "wand" in a natural, upward motion and objects onscreen levitate.

In Metroid Prime3, when players want to open a door latch, they extend the remote and twist it with a, well, a door-latch type motion.

Heck, even Elebits lets you "grab" objects with the B-button, pick them up with 1:1 motion, carry them across screen and "drop" them where you want.

I don't think it's delusional to expect that someone with LucasArt's backing should be able to effectively and realistically integrate the Wii remote's abilities into a video game.

Oh, well. Call me a dreamer.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

When my son plays Harry Potter and wants to cast a levitating spell, he waves the "wand" in a natural, upward motion and objects onscreen levitate.

In Metroid Prime3, when players want to open a door latch, they extend the remote and twist it with a, well, a door-latch type motion.

Heck, even Elebits lets you "grab" objects with the B-button, pick them up with 1:1 motion, carry them across screen and "drop" them where you want.

I don't think it's delusional to expect that someone with LucasArt's backing should be able to effectively and realistically integrate the Wii remote's abilities into a video game.

Oh, well. Call me a dreamer.

None of those things are true 1:1. When your son lifts the wand it's like hitting a button, he gets the same animation every time. Shooters have got 1:1, but Lego Star Wars is not a shooter.

True 1:1 means when I make a motion with the Wii-mote, my character on screen makes the same motion. Not only is this something that would be incredibly tricky to integrate into a game, it would be damn hard to do it well. So yes, it is pretty unrealistic to expect a very simplistic game like Lego Star Wars to integrate such a thing. And just because it says LucasArts on the box it does not immediately mean the team working on it is very talented, LucasArts has quite a few development teams and I promise they're not putting their best talent into Lego Star Wars.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

None of those things are true 1:1. When your son lifts the wand it's like hitting a button, he gets the same animation every time. Shooters have got 1:1, but Lego Star Wars is not a shooter.

You haven't played Metroid Prime 3 then. For example in Samus' ship when you move the wiimote her hand moves in accordance. When aiming on the screen the movement is almost exactly 1:1 unless your display has some lag.

The problem is that so far a lot of Wii games are ports so the movements are tacked on. I think it still adds something to the games but it's not the same. If you want 100% true 1:1 then you'll have to invest a few million dollars or so into a military VR sim of some sort.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

How can you do 1:1 when there's nothing to stop the Wiimote in your hand when the lightsabre hits something on screen? Besides, the charm of this game to me is the accesability for kids. You never really "die," you can play one- or two-player modes, and the second player can come and go as needed. Plus, the previous version just had button-mashing for lightsabre swings, anyway.

I haven't yet played the game, but I for one am glad that you don't have to have a precise swing in order to hit the enemies. This game has never been marketed as a Star Wars simulation (it's Lego's after all). Now if this was called "Yoda's Ultimate Jedi Training Simulation" it might be another story...
post #12 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewM View Post

You haven't played Metroid Prime 3 then.

Thank you. My point exactly.

I'm not expecting military simulation accuracy here, but please, something more than "Shake the Wiimote vigorously to attack".

I hear the lightsabre sound effects through the Wiimote speaker are pretty cool, though...
post #13 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZManCartFan View Post

This game has never been marketed as a Star Wars simulation (it's Lego's after all). Now if this was called "Yoda's Ultimate Jedi Training Simulation" it might be another story...

That was more or less the point I was trying to convey.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
this is the key:
Quote:

How can you do 1:1 when there's nothing to stop the Wiimote in your hand when the lightsabre hits something on screen?

with a gun like in mp3, it's easier to do because you just point the gun, nothing gets in it's way. With a sword-type weapon, it gets a lot more complicated.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How can you do 1:1 when there's nothing to stop the Wiimote in your hand when the lightsabre hits something on screen?

Nothing stops the remote when my plane goes down in a flight game, but the rumble feature still lets me know I've crashed...

but point well taken about the game's approach & target audience.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Force_Unleashed

"The Wii version was announced on September 18, 2007 and will utilize the motion sensing and accelerometer capabilities of the Wii Remote (simulating the ability to wield a lightsaber)"

...Keep your fingers crossed...
post #17 of 26 Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 PM

Liked: 93
As with any multiplatform game, the Wii is the weakest version with tacked on waggle controls. Last generation it was the same story, with the PS2 version of stuff being consistantly the weakest, and Xbox normally being the preferred platform.

This is not saying the Wii is bad in any way. When people make games just for it some amazing stuff happens. Also, if the Wii is your only console, then a good game is a good game. It's just that if you have a 360 as well, then anything multiplatform should probably be bought on the 360.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys - Been playing this with my 4yo and we are stuck on the first level of the Empire Strikes Back section (i.e. "Hoth Battle"). I've even resorted to looking up walkthroughs on line but it's still not working. You're supposed to drag a bomb with the snowspeeder's towing cable into the tunnel to blow it up. Then you can fly into another section apparently. I must have dragged 2 dozen bombs into that tunnel last night and it's not working. All the walkthroughs agree that this is what you're supposed to do but to no avail for me. What am I missing?
post #19 of 26 Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I played this game a couple years ago, so I don't remember exactly but youtube has plenty of vids that might help you out.

I think the part you are asking about is at around the 3 minute mark of THIS VIDEO
post #20 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Hey guys - Been playing this with my 4yo and we are stuck on the first level of the Empire Strikes Back section (i.e. "Hoth Battle"). I've even resorted to looking up walkthroughs on line but it's still not working. You're supposed to drag a bomb with the snowspeeder's towing cable into the tunnel to blow it up. Then you can fly into another section apparently. I must have dragged 2 dozen bombs into that tunnel last night and it's not working. All the walkthroughs agree that this is what you're supposed to do but to no avail for me. What am I missing?

You have to make sure you let go of the bomb so it rolls into the wall or obstacle you are trying to destroy (or you can make sure you swing it enough it hits the obstacle, but it's a lot easier just to let go of it and let it roll into the wall)

Hope that helps. Been awhile since I played this game.
post #21 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I know the bomb is impacting "something" in the tunnel because it would often bounce back and roll back out. The other times I would time it just right to where it would stay in there, but that didn't work either. There are some snow drifts to the left of the tunnel and I tried to hit those with the bombs but no dice there either.

I'll take a look at the youtube vid later, maybe that will shine some light. Thanks!
post #22 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That doesn't sound right...It sounds like you're throwing bombs into a tunnel without being able to see what they are hitting....I never remember not being able to see what I was supposed to be blowing up and having to blindly throw bombs into a hole.

Are you sure you didn't already blow it up and you just have to fly in there?
post #23 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, when I fly in there it makes the snow speeder flip over and fly back just like it does anytime it flies into an obstacle. That's why it's so confusing, all the walkthroughs I've seen say "throw the bombs into the tunnel" and most don't really spend much time on that section at all as if it's not hard enough to even mention.

There is a wall to the far left with a Tie Fighter logo on it but I've flung a couple dozen bombs at that one too with no result.
post #24 of 26 Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to follow-up with a Thanks guys...the youtube link above allowed me to finally figure this thing out. I was going to the wrong tunnel...turns out the "tunnel" that was the right one didn't even look much like a tunnel at all. Anyway, thanks again!
post #25 of 26 Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got this game and am playing it with my 7 yo daughter. We both played it for about an hour, 2 separate times, and we both felt we have saved the game (or it was saved as we saw the incomplete death star)...yet, we we load it up again, we find that nothing saved!

We are playing through Episode 1 and have completed several chapters and yet, not able to save!!!

What are we doing wrong?
post #26 of 26 Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

What are we doing wrong?

Instead of moving straight to the story, exit out to the Cantina. This forces a save.

I made the same mistake playing Lego Batman.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page