Do you run your Wii in widescreen on your widescreen TV? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In which aspect ratio do you run your Wii on your widescreen TV?
4:3 7 2.88%
16:9 236 97.12%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Even when sending anamorphic video, the Wii never signals the TV, so the TV must manually be placed into the correct mode. On your TV remote, this is usually a button which cycles between "Normal", "Full", "Zoom", etc. The button itself may be labeled something along the lines of "Mode", "W. Mode" or "Wide".

You would not need to use this button when viewing 720p or 1080i content (as per your DirecTV example), since the TV will lock into 16x9 mode automatically for high definition video.

Ahhh ok. I figured that is what it was. I have it set to full and it fills the screen, although dropping it down to normal has it look a bit sharper, but I prefer the full screen look. Thanks for the tip.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wait, this means..

Ghost Squad
Samurai Sword Katana
Raving Rabbits 1 and 2
NBA Live
etc
are not anamorphic?

Where was that list again .. ohwell I guess when you see fat Wii menus from the game, its not anamorphic.
post #63 of 80 Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Exactly 1 year later and yet the problem lingers?

I'm late to this discussion but since the problem is still out there why can't Nintendo add a firmware update to fix this? Why have Widescreen and HDTV options (FYI: newsflash Nintendo 480p ISN'T HD) if apparently many tv's don't recognize the widescreen setting? My tv doesn't have a "Full" setting so I have to set it to - get this - "Stretch". Why should I have to stretch a widescreen setting on a widescreen tv?
post #64 of 80 Old 01-17-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198

Because that's how 480p has always worked. 480p isn't natively widescreen like hd resolutions are and it's not flagged as widescreen. So you have to intervene.

You have to tell your display to stretch the 4:3 anamorphic widescreen image in order to fill your screen to have a widescreen image  (Assuming you've selected widescreen in the Wii menu so you're not just stretching 4:3 content and that the title is 16:9 capable).

post #65 of 80 Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM

I have mine setup to widescreen in the menu. Haven't run into too many issues, but I gotta say, it was a little strange having a stretched image while playing one of the old school virtual console games. I had almost preferred to have black bars to the left and right since those older games don't seem to stretch the image as gracefully as newer content does.
post #66 of 80 Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't stretch them then. Just set your display to maintain the aspect ratio it's receiving when playing 4:3 titles (All Virtual Console titles and many GameCube and Wii games). It's most likely just an easy press of a button on your remote control to change your display from stretching to pillarboxing. 

No need to change the Wii's internal setting off widescreen to correctly play 4:3 content. Since its outputted as 4:3 with it on or off, all it does is change the widescreen capable Wii titles to a image suitable for being stretched. The Wii's setting doesn't affect non widescreen capable Wii titles and they're always outputted correctly at their original 4:3 aspect ratios.

So if any stretching is occurring, its your television doing it since you didn't turn stretch off. It has nothing to do with if your Wii is set to 4:3 or 16:9 in its settings. 

post #67 of 80 Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 PM

I can't believe how many of you prefer the duller stretched version..... I can tell a significant drop in picture quality when the wii is set to 16:9.
post #68 of 80 Old 04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

The most annoying problem with the Wii's widescreen implementation is the games that pillar box a 4:3 image in a 16:9 screen if you have 16:9 selected in the wii setup (Mario Party 8, Mega Man 9, etc.). The only way to get the native 4:3 output is to go into the wii setup and change it to 4:3 before you start the games and then change it back to 16:9 when you are done.
post #69 of 80 Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big black woman View Post

I can't believe how many of you prefer the duller stretched version..... I can tell a significant drop in picture quality when the wii is set to 16:9.

I'm with you--the difference is *very* noticeable.
post #70 of 80 Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
OK so lets simplify this. Wii games look best displayed at

~ 4:3
~ Component Cables
~ Progressive Scan(480p)

Wii games set to Widescreen always looked somewhat stretched, they dont have the same 16:9 effect like PS3/360 games have and the Wii offers a less sharp crappy inferior picture when set to widescreen...so my advice, set it to 4:3.

Personally, i find a 32" 4:3 CRT to be the perfect size for Wii Games. I also have a 27" CRT, and it just doesn't cut it, you kinda miss out on the details and so on when compared to a 32" and besides 27" is too small......yet smaller sized displays are better for Nes, Snes and genesis Wii VC games. But ya, i have a Sony 32" Wega 480i CRT using Component Cables for my Wii, and games look stunning on it...But i am missing out on the Progressive scan(which pisses me off, since i'd love to have it...and for movies), and screw the inferior widescreen

Also, i wonder how much worse Wii games would look on a 1080p Panasonic 09' Plasma due to the upscaling.....But meh, i'm not going HD until the Wii2 hits.....it's going to be amazing seeing Mario at 1080p, 16:9, with HDMI ;D
post #71 of 80 Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
As to the widescreen/4:3 thing, games like SMG, Brawl, Kart, Madden, HOTD, Call of Duty, ROckBand, Guitar Hero....all look great (to me) displayed 16:9 - and none are in any way "stretched-looking". But of course, these (and most other current Wii games) are designed to be seen in a 16x9 setting.

VC games? Yeah, run those in 4:3 - a single button push on a remote should do that for your display.

GC games? Mostly also would be best in 4:3 (there are exceptions).

The only rule one should follow is what your eyes are telling you. My eyes tell me that my Wii on a 51" HD RPTV looks pretty good, in some cases very good.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #72 of 80 Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Widescreen baby!!!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #73 of 80 Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

OK so lets simplify this. Wii games look best displayed at

~ 4:3
~ Component Cables
~ Progressive Scan(480p)

Wii games set to Widescreen always looked somewhat stretched, they dont have the same 16:9 effect like PS3/360 games have and the Wii offers a less sharp crappy inferior picture when set to widescreen...so my advice, set it to 4:3.

Personally, i find a 32" 4:3 CRT to be the perfect size for Wii Games. I also have a 27" CRT, and it just doesn't cut it, you kinda miss out on the details and so on when compared to a 32" and besides 27" is too small......yet smaller sized displays are better for Nes, Snes and genesis Wii VC games. But ya, i have a Sony 32" Wega 480i CRT using Component Cables for my Wii, and games look stunning on it...But i am missing out on the Progressive scan(which pisses me off, since i'd love to have it...and for movies), and screw the inferior widescreen

Also, i wonder how much worse Wii games would look on a 1080p Panasonic 09' Plasma due to the upscaling.....But meh, i'm not going HD until the Wii2 hits.....it's going to be amazing seeing Mario at 1080p, 16:9, with HDMI ;D

I am using my WII on my brand new Panasonic 1080P 50" TV and am very dissatisfied. No matter what settings I put it at in Mario Party 8 there are always bars on the sides. Now I am concerned about burn-in on the edges. Very unhappy with the WII, it is 2010 and they don't have a consol that is able to display properly on a widescreen, no wonder nintendo almost fell completely out of the consol market.
post #74 of 80 Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 AM

I run my Wii in Widescreen mode. My TV is set to Natural, or whatever it is called, which keeps the original ratio of whatever is being fed to it. So it is great for everything but Virtual Console games, which will stretch in 16:9 mode, and some games like Super Mario World won't control properly. In that case I have to set it back to 4:3.

Sadly, my Yamaha receiver for some reason doesn't fill my screen when playing the Wii. It leaves a black border all around the picture. Maybe 2" on all 4 sides on my 52" LCD. It's akin to how Rock Band for the Xbox 360 displays on your TV before you tell the game to over scan. A bit annoying, but I don't notice it after a couple of minutes.
post #75 of 80 Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM

I used to run my Wii in 4:3 with my old T.V. but now that I bought a widescreen one, I fully enjoy playing in 16/9
post #76 of 80 Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP10T View Post

no wonder nintendo almost fell completely out of the consol market.

You do realize that the Wii has sold over 53 million units, while the 360 had an extra year and is only at 32.5 million, and the PS3 is at 25.1 million? (www.nexgenwars.com). The Nintendo DS has sold almost 130 million units.

Anyway, I run mine 480p, 16:9 because it looks bad on a 50" screen anyway. Slightly better horizontal resolution isn't going to make a huge difference.
post #77 of 80 Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The Wii has sold over 70 million units.
post #78 of 80 Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 AM

I can't widecreen out of my wii. What am I doing wrong? I have the component cables and it is set to 480p and widecreen but the image is still 4:3, what is the deal? Tv is a Sony 720p 3 LCD 50"
post #79 of 80 Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
perhaps that input on your tv itself is in 4:3 mode? try switching the widescreen setting on that input on your tv and see if that helps.
post #80 of 80 Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

perhaps that input on your tv itself is in 4:3 mode? try switching the widescreen setting on that input on your tv and see if that helps.

What he said. The Wii doesn't include the signal to the TV to let it know you are running in 16:9 like a DVD player does... you have to set that via the TV manually.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page