Do you run your Wii in widescreen on your widescreen TV? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In which aspect ratio do you run your Wii on your widescreen TV?
4:3 7 2.88%
16:9 236 97.12%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 11-25-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because the resolution of the Wii's output is the same whether you're running it in widescreen or not, and even though I play it on a widescreen TV, I always run my Wii in 4:3 mode. Everything just looks better, and individual characters and things in games are slightly higher resolution, so they're not as blurry or jaggy as they are in widescreen mode.

Does anyone else do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 PM

The Wii does a good enough job with anamorphic widescreen that I play it in 16:9. Since its only 480p in the first place its not like widescreen is going to make it tremendously worse.

FWIW I play my Wii on a 50" 1080p Panasonic Plasma.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #3 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I also use 4:3 for a much more crisp image.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #4 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't stand 4:3 and also knowing I am wasting screen. I would rather it fill up the screen even if it looked worse than it does.

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
post #5 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 AM

Wait so the Wii doesn't do true 16:9 with widescreen games? It just stretches them? That kind of defeats the purpose of claiming widescreen support when my TV will do the exact same thing.
post #6 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

Wait so the Wii doesn't do true 16:9 with widescreen games? It just stretches them? That kind of defeats the purpose of claiming widescreen support when my TV will do the exact same thing.

The Wii does true widescreen, the image is not just stretched.
post #7 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_P View Post

The Wii does true widescreen, the image is not just stretched.

You are correct sir. Not sure where this "Wii does not do true widescreen" stuff came from. Incorrect setups perhaps?

post #8 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Please don't make this into another conversation where we have to explain how 480-line anamorphic widescreen works... It's the exact same thing that happens with DVDs, where the resolution is fixed, but widescreen DVDs use anamorphic encoding while "fullscreen" (4x3) ones don't.
post #9 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex187 View Post

The Wii does a good enough job with anamorphic widescreen that I play it in 16:9. Since its only 480p in the first place its not like widescreen is going to make it tremendously worse.

FWIW I play my Wii on a 50" 1080p Panasonic Plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I can't stand 4:3 and also knowing I am wasting screen. I would rather it fill up the screen even if it looked worse than it does.

I guess that's the difference. The way you see it is, "It already doesn't look so great, so what's the difference if I make it look a little worse?" On the other hand, I say, "If it's only going to look this good, then I might as well make it look as good as possible."

It's the difference between pessimism and optimism! Hahaha...
post #10 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
so if you play in 4:3 mode as OP suggests, don't you end up chopping the edges off the widescreen frame to do that? Or does the image appear squished like when you view an anamorphic dvd in 4:3 mode? Sorry if this has come up before, but I don't get it... It seems you'd have to alter the 16:9 frame in some way to display in 4:3 mode, and I don't get why you would do that if you have a widescreen tv. Sort of like the whole OAR debate with movies.

Or does it end up pillarboxed AND letterboxed?
post #11 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Ok, I guess I don't understand how anamorphic widescreen works. Can someone please explain? Because from what I'm hearing it sounds like the games aren't in a widescreen resolution but they can do widescreen but they're not stretched? Huh? I'm very confused.
post #12 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

Ok, I guess I don't understand how anamorphic widescreen works. Can someone please explain? Because from what I'm hearing it sounds like the games aren't in a widescreen resolution but they can do widescreen but they're not stretched? Huh? I'm very confused.

I think this Wikipedia article explains it better than most of us could.
post #13 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

so if you play in 4:3 mode as OP suggests, don't you end up chopping the edges off the widescreen frame to do that? Or does the image appear squished like when you view an anamorphic dvd in 4:3 mode?

I'm going to guess that the original poster tells the Wii he has a 4x3 TV, and then runs the TV in 4x3 mode. The signal isn't anamorphic in this case so it doesn't need stretching out to 16x9, and when viewing in 4x3 mode, the TV doesn't perform any stretching. The image will be pillarboxed (with black bars on the left and right side), as expected.

Still, kind of seems like a waste on the Wii games which *do* support 16x9.
post #14 of 80 Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Still, kind of seems like a waste on the Wii games which *do* support 16x9.

He is right that the Wii in 4:3 mode will look sharper in 4:3 pillerboxed on a 16:9 set, as opposed to running it widescreen.

Judging by the poll results, most of us would sacrifice a little sharpness for filling a widescreen display, but different strokes....

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #15 of 80 Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 PM

I use 4:3, since it dosent auto adjust for games that don't support 16:9. I don't like stretchovision
post #16 of 80 Old 12-02-2007, 05:10 PM

I don't understand why people get confused about this....

Ok; What happens when you put the Wii into 16:9 mode is that games with 16:9 support will fit more stuff between the left and right sides of the picture so that when the TV "stretches" it out, it is all in the correct aspect ratio. You get a picture that was rendered for a full 16:9 screen showing on your full 16:9 screen. You do get a (very slightly) lower horizontal DPI in that mode, because you have the same number of horizontal pixels spanning the whole screen instead of just the middle two thirds. But I find that the 16:9 aspect more aesthetically pleasing, and also feel like it gives me a better view of the game.

It's true too that there is no signal sent to the TV indicating if the picture is rendered for 16:9 or 4:3, so you have to press a button on your TV remote to set it correctly, but I'll be damned before I give up my widescreen just so I don't have to press a button to make certain games display correctly.
post #17 of 80 Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

True, but on some tvs certain connection types will force the tv to stay in "full" mode. Honestly I don't remember if it does that to me with the component hookup or not. But regardless I always keep it showing 16:9. I even played game boy games on game boy player with it stretched over the whole screen. So in other words I even would rather have a HUGELY distorted picture in some games than some of the screen not being used.

note: I am getting sick of this gamestop commercial which is on tv yet again right now as I type.

Got Zelda
post #18 of 80 Old 12-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabit256 View Post

I don't understand why people get confused about this....

Ok; What happens when you put the Wii into 16:9 mode is that games with 16:9 support will fit more stuff between the left and right sides of the picture so that when the TV "stretches" it out, it is all in the correct aspect ratio. You get a picture that was rendered for a full 16:9 screen showing on your full 16:9 screen. You do get a (very slightly) lower horizontal DPI in that mode, because you have the same number of horizontal pixels spanning the whole screen instead of just the middle two thirds. But I find that the 16:9 aspect more aesthetically pleasing, and also feel like it gives me a better view of the game.

It's true too that there is no signal sent to the TV indicating if the picture is rendered for 16:9 or 4:3, so you have to press a button on your TV remote to set it correctly, but I'll be damned before I give up my widescreen just so I don't have to press a button to make certain games display correctly.

I understand how anamorphic encoding works but I didn't understand why the op would do what he does. I still don't really, and I draw the comparison to the OAR movie debate; why do you want to chop of portions of the image? It should be displayed as the "director" intended.

Also, I don't believe you get more resolution on a flat panel doing this, since flat panels are fixed pixel. Maybe on a tube you can cram more rez into the 4:3 space of a widescreen display by doing this, but not on a flat panel. The wii may send a sharper rez in a 4:3 shape but the panel still has to scale it to fit it's native rez.
post #19 of 80 Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I switch mine to 4:3 on my 57" living room HDTV because I'm using the composite cables plugged into the front of the unit. I save my component cables for the downstairs HT with the 120" screen.
post #20 of 80 Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:

I understand how anamorphic encoding works but I didn't understand why the op would do what he does. I still don't really, and I draw the comparison to the OAR movie debate; why do you want to chop of portions of the image? It should be displayed as the "director" intended.

Also, I don't believe you get more resolution on a flat panel doing this, since flat panels are fixed pixel. Maybe on a tube you can cram more rez into the 4:3 space of a widescreen display by doing this, but not on a flat panel. The wii may send a sharper rez in a 4:3 shape but the panel still has to scale it to fit it's native rez.

Hmm?

The reason the OP does what he/she does is due to the fact that anamorphic widescreen always bears the disadvantage of "very slightly" reducing horizontal DPI compared to its 4:3 presentation due to how it works. It doesn't matter if the display device is a fixed pixel or a scanner. A widescreen, very slightly less detailed picture as opposed to a fullscreen, very slightly sharper picture is just a matter of personal preference. However, I do believe the OP's view of this effect is overstated and it certainly isn't so pronounced as to keep me from playing in anamorphic widescreen.

The only Wii games I won't play in widescreen mode/settings are obviously those that don't come with fully developed widescreen like Mario Party 8, or others that omit it entirely.
post #21 of 80 Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Like you said though, "very slightly".

Got Zelda
post #22 of 80 Old 12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoYaksa View Post

Hmm?
It doesn't matter if the display device is a fixed pixel or a scanner.

ok I guess I'm ignorant then. Why doesn't it matter? DPI sent to the panel may increase (again, "very slightly"), but the final rez displayed does not.

Also, whether it's slightly sharper or not ignores that you are still cropping the frame pretty badly, seems that would override any "slight" sharpness increase.
post #23 of 80 Old 12-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:

ok I guess I'm ignorant then. Why doesn't it matter? DPI sent to the panel may increase (again, "very slightly"), but the final rez displayed does not.

Also, whether it's slightly sharper or not ignores that you are still cropping the frame pretty badly, seems that would override any "slight" sharpness increase.

Any HDTV flat panel has higher resolution than the Wii can output (by at least 50% and as much as 100% higher), so changing the width of the raster does change the horizontal DPI. The Wii's pixels will be "stretched out" over fewer of the panel's pixels. However, if you REALLY want to increase the DPI a lot, not just the horizontal, but the vertical as well, buy the smallest flatpanel TV you can find!
post #24 of 80 Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabit256 View Post

Any HDTV flat panel has higher resolution than the Wii can output (by at least 50% and as much as 100% higher), so changing the width of the raster does change the horizontal DPI. The Wii's pixels will be "stretched out" over fewer of the panel's pixels. However, if you REALLY want to increase the DPI a lot, not just the horizontal, but the vertical as well, buy the smallest flatpanel TV you can find!

Ah, so instead of cropping the image, it is being squished, resulting in skinny people and circles that become ovals, like I mentioned in my first post in this thread. Is that right? I guess I just wasn't sure if the wii 4:3 output was cropping or squishing. I suppose I could have tried it myself but I've been too busy to play lately.

Would op ever watch an anamorphic dvd in 4:3 mode just to get a minor sharpness improvement, even though the geometry is now out of whack? I can't imagine one would do that with a dvd and to me the same applies with a video game. I will now exit the thread with a
post #25 of 80 Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Your confusion seems to be stemming from the fact that you believe that the source is always the same and that the Wii must either anamorphically squeeze (for 16x9) or blindly chop off the sides (for 4x3). This is *not* the case.

The Wii (and other consoles which support widescreen 480i/480p) actually draws a different image in the framebuffer when operating in 4x3 mode vs. 16x9 mode. The resolution is the same, which was the original poster's complaint, but the content of the image is not identical. Hence, the 4x3 image is neither aspect ratio distorted nor simply chopped; it's a different image. If the console simply did a "chop", a game which supported 16x9 and drew a health bar in a corner would have the bar completely chopped off in 4x3 mode. This doesn't happen; the bar is actually positioned in a different location.
post #26 of 80 Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your confusion seems to be stemming from the fact that you believe that the source is always the same and that the Wii must either anamorphically squeeze (for 16x9) or blindly chop off the sides (for 4x3). This is *not* the case.

The Wii (and other consoles which support widescreen 480i/480p) actually draws a different image in the framebuffer when operating in 4x3 mode vs. 16x9 mode. The resolution is the same, which was the original poster's complaint, but the content of the image is not identical. Hence, the 4x3 image is neither aspect ratio distorted nor simply chopped; it's a different image. If the console simply did a "chop", a game which supported 16x9 and drew a health bar in a corner would have the bar completely chopped off in 4x3 mode. This doesn't happen; the bar is actually positioned in a different location.

Exactly. In the case of anamorphic widescreen DVDs, I always watch them in widescreen (since the source is static on the disc -- it's just one aspect ratio). If I watched it any other way, I'd actually lose resolution.

But for games, the source is dynamic (the aspect ratio is not fixed). It can either be 4:3 or widescreen, and with 480i/p games, the resolution is the same for both, so I opt for 4:3 to get a better image.
post #27 of 80 Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes you are right that is what I was thinking, and now that you point out the health bar thing, I see what you mean. But, health bars aside, it's still a "chop" as you put it, or rather a "smart chop" that is able to reposition key things that must be seen. At least this thread makes sense to me now, thanks.
post #28 of 80 Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

But people STILL keep ignoring the "slightly" part. Most people probably would barely (if at all) even notice any increase in PQ.

Got Zelda
post #29 of 80 Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
Hmmm...this is an interesting question...

When watching TV, I am NOT a fan of filling the screen just to fill in the screen... But I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that the Wii content was designed for widescreen...

I guess it is easy with movies and shows to see people that are too skinny or too fat...

So what aspect ratio is the Wii designed to look "as designed"?
post #30 of 80 Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post

Hmmm...this is an interesting question...

When watching TV, I am NOT a fan of filling the screen just to fill in the screen... But I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that the Wii content was designed for widescreen...

I guess it is easy with movies and shows to see people that are too skinny or too fat...

So what aspect ratio is the Wii designed to look "as designed"?

Lots of confusion in this thread.

The Wii, like DVD video, is designed to display properly on both 4:3 and 16:9 TVs. The user just has to select the correct settings on both the Wii and the TV to make sure the aspect ratio is correct.

The OP simply stated he liked the sharper res of the Wii's 4:3 mode in 4:3 on his 16:9 TV.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page