Sending my WII for repairs tomorrow... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody send their Wii in for repairs lately? I will be sending mine in tomorrow, from what I hear it is pretty painless but i'm afraid it will take longer since it is that time of the year. Will i be getting some refurb unit because i find it hard to believe it will only take a week to get it back. Anybody have any bad experiences with the Wii that they send back? I had the rainbow colored pixelation on the screen, quite noticeable. Seems like it is pretty common because the guy knew exactly what i was talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Liked: 12
I have had the pixelation on some games particularly Resident Evil 4. I didn't know there was a fix for it. Did you call Nintendo directly about it?
post #3 of 34 Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Yes you need to call Nintendo directly. They are aware of the problem and they'll fix/replace it if under warranty
post #4 of 34 Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

It is a problem with the Wii and the graphics chip. I would go ahead and send it in if i were you just in case it gets worse or you run out of warranty, they will now about the problem, i sent mine in today and i should have one back by Tuesday. It is really noticeable if you are using a bigger TV with the HD cables on 480p. I knew it was a problem when it happened in both Galaxy and RE:UC. Call nintendo the number is 1-800 255 3700.. or u can do it online.
post #5 of 34 Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM

Liked: 12
Great Thanks! I called and will be shipping it out tomorrow.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin430 View Post

Anybody send their Wii in for repairs lately? I will be sending mine in tomorrow, from what I hear it is pretty painless but i'm afraid it will take longer since it is that time of the year. Will i be getting some refurb unit because i find it hard to believe it will only take a week to get it back. Anybody have any bad experiences with the Wii that they send back? I had the rainbow colored pixelation on the screen, quite noticeable. Seems like it is pretty common because the guy knew exactly what i was talking about.

I had a pixelation problem too. I sent it in to get fixed, received another that also developed the problem and had to mail it in too. Here's what I can tell you about Nintendo's repair process:

1) VC consumers get second class treatment. If you have no VC content Nintendo will ship out a new system and you can return the broken one when it arrives. In order to maintain your VC content you must mail in the Wii. If you choose that fast option you will forfeit your VC content.

2) Nintendo's repair process is unbelievably slow. It will be at least a month before you system returns, and what is really annoying is that they send you a new system anyway!

3) They will screw up anything that you've customized on the system. On one repair my VC content would no longer work, and on another I found that I could no longer edit Miis that I created. Your Wii contact list will get screwed up because your Wii will now have a new ID.

4) Did I mention that they are slow? Just wanted to drive this home: THEY ARE SLOW. Glacial pace slow.

Nintendo's Wii repair process is piss poor. My last experience was in early April so things may have changed, but when Nintendo's doing something wrong I've noticed that they love refusing to change. Therefore I doubt anything's been fixed.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 PM

wish i saw your post earlier...

you should of saved your mii's to your controller or a memory card...

I didn't and i lost the rights to edit my mii's even though they transfered to the new Wii i received...
post #8 of 34 Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 PM

I just went through the process because of artifacting caused by the GPU overheating. From what I've read, the GPU overheating is a known problem, caused partially by poor cooling fan management in earlier versions when in stand-by mode. For those of you who haven't, I would strongly recommended downloading the newest update. I have noticed that my fan does come on more often.

I mailed in my console the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and received it back on Friday the following week. Nintendo covered shipping both ways. I paid a couple bucks for packing supplies when I shipped it, but if you already have a box and padding, then the whole process is completely free to you. I am close to the shop, so the shipping only took a day each way.

The process was nice and smooth and relatively quick. Overall I was very pleased. I did have to redownload my virtual console games, but the licenses were kept on the console so I didn't have to pay again.

I didn't lose my Miis or any saved game data, but this can change depending on what they need to do to repair it. Copy everything and save it just in case.
post #9 of 34 Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 View Post

I had a pixelation problem too. I sent it in to get fixed, received another that also developed the problem and had to mail it in too. Here's what I can tell you about Nintendo's repair process:

1) VC consumers get second class treatment. If you have no VC content Nintendo will ship out a new system and you can return the broken one when it arrives. In order to maintain your VC content you must mail in the Wii. If you choose that fast option you will forfeit your VC content.

2) Nintendo's repair process is unbelievably slow. It will be at least a month before you system returns, and what is really annoying is that they send you a new system anyway!

3) They will screw up anything that you've customized on the system. On one repair my VC content would no longer work, and on another I found that I could no longer edit Miis that I created. Your Wii contact list will get screwed up because your Wii will now have a new ID.

4) Did I mention that they are slow? Just wanted to drive this home: THEY ARE SLOW. Glacial pace slow.

Nintendo's Wii repair process is piss poor. My last experience was in early April so things may have changed, but when Nintendo's doing something wrong I've noticed that they love refusing to change. Therefore I doubt anything's been fixed.

WRONG!! I have had nothing but first class treatment from Nintendo. Last repair I sent in was my DS that my niece broke by yanking the charger out violently. The system still worked it just wouldn't charge anymore. I called Nintendo and they immeadiately replaced my DS no questions asked within a week. Without even asking for a warranty!!
I've heard similar stories like mine so I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe it's the Wii shortage??
post #10 of 34 Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Sent my Wii in for repair mid-November (the disc drive was making a loud, constant "buzzing" noise whenever a disc was inside of it, spinning). I had it back exactly one week from the date I sent it to them.

PEACE--->Rhoq

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 34 Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Update #1
Well today is the 7th day since i sent my Wii in for servicing. Their New York repair site has yet to receive my package. They still have my status as "due in" I was expecting to have it back by today or tomorrow, the guy i spoked with promised me i would be with out a Wii for only a wiik! I look at Mario and the galaxies yet to be plundered and so many zombies yet to be zapped in my brand spanking new RE:UC! so far i am sorta disappointed but understanding, Nintendo cant make FEDex drive faster. I just hope i get it back by at least this time next week :/
post #12 of 34 Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know why people who got theirs back quickly assume that means Nintendo is great in their support. HJust ebcuse you experience something doesn't mean everyone else has the same result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

post #13 of 34 Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Update #1
Well today is the 7th day since i sent my Wii in for servicing. Their New York repair site has yet to receive my package. They still have my status as "due in" I was expecting to have it back by today or tomorrow, the guy i spoked with promised me i would be with out a Wii for only a wiik! I look at Mario and the galaxies yet to be plundered and so many zombies yet to be zapped in my brand spanking new RE:UC! so far i am sorta disappointed but understanding, Nintendo cant make FEDex drive faster. I just hope i get it back by at least this time next week :/

When I sent mine in for repair, it was through UPS, not FedEx. And it took a couple days for "due in" to change to "received" or whatever it was -- even though they had received it. I realize that I can only offer my own experience, but for me it was exactly 2 weeks (14 days) from the time I dropped it at the UPS store to the time it arrived back home.

Then again, it also depends where you are shipping from and to. Sounds like you have the East Syracuse site, like I did. I live in Annapolis MD, if that helps.
post #14 of 34 Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

I don't know why people who got theirs back quickly assume that means Nintendo is great in their support. HJust ebcuse you experience something doesn't mean everyone else has the same result.

I don't equate getting my Wii back in 7 days to "great customer support". Nintendo has great Customer Support because the CSR I spoke with to file my repair claim was courteous and helpful. I was sent a link at FedEx.com to print out a pre-paid shipping label within 5 minutes of my phone call. My Wii was repaired and the warranty was extended by one additional additional year. If that isn't good customer service, then you are just very hard-to-please.

PEACE--->Rhoq

post #15 of 34 Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Update #1

Track the package via the FedEx website. Nintendo takes 48 to 72 hours to update their site. More than likely, the next update to Nintendo's support site will be with your UPS shipping number, which you can track via the UPS website.

PEACE--->Rhoq

post #16 of 34 Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 AM

From my understanding, Nintendo just recently (About Oct. 2007)switched their entire headquarters to NY and there is a known Wii shortage. Maybe, just MAYBE, this is why the repair orders are taking long. My guess...
post #17 of 34 Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post

Track the package via the FedEx website. Nintendo takes 48 to 72 hours to update their site. More than likely, the next update to Nintendo's support site will be with your UPS shipping number, which you can track via the UPS website.

I had the same experience. My status went directly from "Components not yet received" to "shipped."

This was at the Chatsworth, CA facility.

The rep I spoke with actually told me that this facility, and some others, offer walk in service. If you are near a site or up for a drive, you can walk in and get it fixed in about an hour.
post #18 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Ignore scs0, please.

I've had the pixelizing/graphics chip failure twice now (noticeable on the "Home" screen for VC games, parts of 'Super Paper Mario', and the title screen of LoZ), the first on my system from February that lasted six months, and then the replacement that lasted one.

The first time, I did it all via Nintendo's online repair system. I described the problem, submitted the online form, received the label, mailed it, and got it back within 14 days TOTAL. Inside was an invoice from the New York area repair shop (I got a refurbished unit) and statement that it had a one year warranty from the day I received the new unit.

It was a bit fishy at the start, as the system had a Wii console name of "SEXY". Obviously it wasn't quite wiped, and when it developed the same problem a month later, the Nintendo rep (whom I called the second time) was quite interested in the fact that the system from their New York depot still had a name. He assured that I would get a brand new console this time, and even though the repair slip said that Nintendo couldn't replicate the issue, I still got a new system (shipped to their Redmond, WA ex-HQ).

Now for his gripes:

-since you have a new system, you can't edit your Miis. My wife and son have found it's not exactly hard to remake them, though (and they actually look better since we have experience making them now).

-all your VC games will need to be re-downloaded, free of charge. I have over 30, and this was a major sticking point as I wanted a system ASAP but Nintendo told me that they would have to copy the data as opposed to the "ship a new system and send the broken one back" option.

-the first time I didn't have any important saves, but the second time all the saves were transferred with no problem.

-the Wii contact list will of course be screwed up, but it's worthless unless you exchange Miis. I can't see it being used for IM'ing, and really, how hard is it to re-enter a couple numbers? The in-game Friend Codes "shouldn't" be changed at all if your save isn't corrupted.

To be honest, Nintendo has been amazing at Customer Service for the Wii. While the repairs can't be as high as the 360 (and surprisingly that's more reliable for me with only ONE replacement) and they obviously appreciate your business.

So far my second replacement has been fine (over two months with only once or twice a week play). I've always left the WiiConnect on, and if that contributed to the issues, then it's inexcusable...since it's a feature that is hyped and discussed (and a point I made to the CS rep).

Good luck!
post #19 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Update #2
Yesterday (dec 5th) the new york based repair station received my wii. according to the guy i should of had it back today. No problem though Nintendo isn't masters of FedEx, now i am hoping to received it with in the next 5 to 7 business days, so with in a week. I was hoping to maybe get a new one, but it seems like i should of said the saves didnt matter to be able to get a new one, o well, i just hope this one works, and i dont have to go through sending it away again.. i miss it.
post #20 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post

I don't equate getting my Wii back in 7 days to "great customer support". Nintendo has great Customer Support because the CSR I spoke with to file my repair claim was courteous and helpful. I was sent a link at FedEx.com to print out a pre-paid shipping label within 5 minutes of my phone call. My Wii was repaired and the warranty was extended by one additional additional year. If that isn't good customer service, then you are just very hard-to-please.

That is one person you spoke to! That doesn't mean all are thatw ay. They may be for all I know. I havent called them. But it's crazy to think the entire company mustbe thatw ay becuase a person you talked to was and then tell everyone else they are wrong if they say they don't have good support. lol

post #21 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Edwin...in all likelihood, your saves will still be transferred. It's all part of the copy process, along with your no longer editable Miis and VC data. Then again, there are levels of stuff they can copy. On my first replacement it was VC data only, while my second (from Redmond, WA) had VC data, Mii's, and saves.
post #22 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

That is one person you spoke to! That doesn't mean all are thatw ay. They may be for all I know. I havent called them. But it's crazy to think the entire company mustbe thatw ay becuase a person you talked to was and then tell everyone else they are wrong if they say they don't have good support. lol

I think my experience is more representative, as I did the ONLINE nintendo.com repair form and still got my system back within two weeks (five days for the label from WA, three days to NY, and three days back). And then a similar deal when I sent it to WA itself.

Compared to Microsoft and Sony (dealing with the XBR1 fiasco) Nintendo customer service is a breath of fresh air.
post #23 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully I won't ahve to find out whether they are or not. I wonder if I would even notice the dot issue people mention. My visions ucks, so it would have to be very noticable.

post #24 of 34 Old 12-06-2007, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

I do believe nintendo has great customer service! it is awesome that they are doing all of this for me with no real hurdles. and then on top of that another year of warranty! believe me i am happy. i'm just keeping tabs on the process.. haha more for information sakes do i keep tabs, and for u guys to see that Nintendo does work! so far the only reason the Wii hasn't gotten here on time is bc a) i live in north carolina and the destination is in new york b) FedEx hasn't invented wormholes to go between dimensions for instantaneous transitions. haha. Nintendo is awesome compared to my buddy who sent his 360 in and its been almost a month and its just now on its way back.. and his other one took even longer.
post #25 of 34 Old 12-07-2007, 01:35 PM

It's a painless procedure. My drive broke. I sent it in and 8 days later I had it back good as new. Didn't cost a dime.
post #26 of 34 Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM

i got the shipping label from them like two weeks ago, but i have to find a box, because for SOME reason they dont send you one!!! jsut a label!!

LIVE: SAi33N

PSN: Sai33N

Wii: 3579 5525 9379 7004
post #27 of 34 Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post

i got the shipping label from them like two weeks ago, but i have to find a box, because for SOME reason they dont send you one!!! jsut a label!!

They e-mailed me a link to print a pre-paid FedEx shipping label. I followed Nintendo's packing instructions (placing the Wii inside of a plastic bag with a envelope containing all pertinent information attached to it via a rubber band). I used one of FedEx's "medium" shipping boxes (it's FREE) and used rolled-up balls of newspaper as packing material. It was a perfect fit for the Wii.

Also, if you have them - I found that a large ziploc freezer bag has just enough room for the Wii to fit (and "zip" up), if anyone every needs to send their's in for repair.

PEACE--->Rhoq

post #28 of 34 Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Update # 3
I got a tracking number today! and it says it'll be here in 2 days the 12th. It is coming from their new york site to Greensboro NC, and then to Winston Salem NC, we'll see how long it'll take. Gotta love nintendo and there hasnt been any problems so far!
post #29 of 34 Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Don't get me wrong,I've never sent in a Wii (don't even own one), but I've been dealing with Nintendo since the early NES days and generally their customer service is very good. They were all always friendly and seemed to know their products well. I can't say the same for Microsoft or Sony.

I remember I sent in a Gameboy Avanced back in the day and it was past warranty, but it was a design issue that wasn't really my fault,so they repaired it for free. That was back when if you had a hardware problem they would actually have you bring it to a local repair man yourself though.

They are an old school, conservative Japanese company, so they probably take things like this seriously.
post #30 of 34 Old 12-12-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Update #4
Last update, I received my Wii earlier today while i was at work. Its come full circle from 11/26 to 12/14. Not bad at all. More props to Nintendo for great service and now off to enjoy my Wii.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page