Wii Hookup to a TV with Coax Only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to hook up a Wii to a 32inch tv that only has a coax input. No composite video, no s-video, no component, no audio inputs either.

I'm lost. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

You can buy an RF Modulator from Radio Shack.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Do you thik the picture quality will suffer a bunch?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Since the tv isn't HD anyway, it probably won't suffer a lot.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40xbr700_Owner View Post

Do you thik the picture quality will suffer a bunch?

On a TV that doesn't even have composite inputs I don't think PQ should be a huge concern for you.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM

The picture quality will be noticeably worse than composite, but I wouldn't sweat it.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Liked: 93
If the TV has no input aside from coax, that means one fo two things. It is either of such low quality that you have far larger image quality issues than how the Wii signal is getting to it, or that the TV is so old that no matter how good it used to be it is so far out of whack calibration-wise that it's degraded performance is the main issue.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uh go to Wal-Mart and spend $100 on a TV, if you can't do that then you probably should have bought groceries or paid your utility bill bill BEFORE you bought a Wii.

the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero , 55 BC
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
"If the TV has no input aside from coax, that means one fo two things. It is either of such low quality that you have far larger image quality issues than how the Wii signal is getting to it, or that the TV is so old that no matter how good it used to be it is so far out of whack calibration-wise that it's degraded performance is the main issue."

Stop being a idiot, not everyone has to game on a 50" $5000 hdtv thats replaced biannually like some of the people here. I've seen plenty of CRT's dating back to the 70s that are used even now by people that offer pretty good picture quality if you don't mind hooking up something by coaxial connections.

Its only been fairly recently where low end CRT's even had composite inputs as standard, it wasn't very long ago that coaxial was basically the standard.

I've never noticed a huge leap between RF boxes and composite when the RF box is in good working order, sadly they always seemed prone to interfance and degradation pretty quickly for me which is why I'd suggest you avoid it if you could, even if it means hooking up a 2$ thrift store VCR to this tv so you could hook the Wii up to the VCR via composite, then coaxial to the tv. Would help a little bit.

"Uh go to Wal-Mart and spend $100 on a TV, if you can't do that then you probably should have bought groceries or paid your utility bill bill BEFORE you bought a Wii."

Buying a new tv because some AVS user things people should be executed at dawn the day after buying a new console without a new tv to go along with it is stupid, leave the guy alone.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 AM

Maybe its for a 2nd or 3rd tv or its going to someone else's house for a weekend. If i'm watching football or playing the 360 my g/f brings the wii into her spare room in the house which just has an old 19" tv with coax and a rf modulator.

I think some people are just jumping to conclucions too quickly.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I bought a RF from newegg a few days ago. As it relates to the tv, it works fine and is in our gameroom which is used by my two young boys. The tv is big and can take a beating, which it does everyday. That's why I want to use it. A LCD or plasma would not last two days in that room.

I have a full time media room that cost me more than the cars most people drive so I'm not poor, just practical. I can only imagine what the Wii would look like on my 134 inch screen.

Thanks again.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aims View Post

Thanks for the help. I bought a RF from newegg a few days ago. As it relates to the tv, it works fine and is in our gameroom which is used by my two young boys. The tv is big and can take a beating, which it does everyday. That's why I want to use it. A LCD or plasma would not last two days in that room.

I have a full time media room that cost me more than the cars most people drive so I'm not poor, just practical. I can only imagine what the Wii would look like on my 134 inch screen.

Thanks again.

WII + Virtual Console + RF Connection = 1985 gaming nirvana
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page