Wii newbie: Best (reliable) wireless router? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The fam got our Wii this Xmas and so far so good....

So if I understand things correctly, I can invest in a wireless router and it will connect the Wii to the net..no added Wii components needed (?).

So is there one or two highly regarded routers that have been reliable for connecting to Wii? I read that several routers are very spotty connecting to Wii so I don't want to spend $$$ and find I can't use it to it's fullest.

Thanks for any input you may have.

ADDED QUESTION:

Is having Wii connected to the net worth it in the long run? WHat added features will me and the fam get by being online? Can I interact with my sis and her fam in NY who also have a Wii??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

The fam got our Wii this Xmas and so far so good....

So if I understand things correctly, I can invest in a wireless router and it will connect the Wii to the net..no added Wii components needed (?).

So is there one or two highly regarded routers that have been reliable for connecting to Wii? I read that several routers are very spotty connecting to Wii so I don't want to spend $$$ and find I can't use it to it's fullest.

Thanks for any input you may have.

I can answer one question for you, the wii has a wireless card built in, so no, you do not need any more components.

As far as the router goes, I have a Linksys, which is pretty crappy all around (computer's internet connection, etc., but it does work with the Wii.)
Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Guy View Post

As far as the router goes, I have a Linksys, which is pretty crappy all around (computer's internet connection, etc., but it does work with the Wii.)

I as well have a Linksys, use it for my Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3...it works just fine and was relatively cheap.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FWIW, I have a D-Link 624+ (I think that's the model number) and it works fine with my Wii.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I also have a linksys... a wrt54g (the one without speedboost). It's been working fine for at least 3 years now. You can get it for about $50 these days. Oh yeah, no problems connecting to Wii since launch.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Using my Linksys WRT54GL (which is *not* crappy at all ) without any issue. Just had to punch in my wireless network name manually (I dont let my wireless router broadcast it.......and neither should you!) and the Wii connected without a problem. Not sure what kind of speeds it was getting, the update it did over the net took a little while, but Ive read that from other people too so it might just be a big or busy download.

Buffalo routers are supposed to be the equivalent to the original Linksys models (that could run linux) and are very reliable and fast. If you really wanna go nuts you can add 3rd party firmware to them that make them run even better, but a stock Buffalo router should be relatively inexpensive (CC sometimes has them for 30.00 after rebate) and perform well.

-Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM

For the most part...all of the consumer grade routers are the same. I can't imagine there are some that don't WORK with the wii very well. That is usually a matter of user error or poor signal.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 PM

I have the BEFW11S4, and it is quite often kicking me off of my laptop internet. BUT, it works fine with the Wii still.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post

For the most part...all of the consumer grade routers are the same. I can't imagine there are some that don't WORK with the wii very well. That is usually a matter of user error or poor signal.

Turns out that on the Wii site buried in the how to's they list routers that are not compatible with Wii...even some of the ones they recommend can be buggy they say....

I may shop around for one of the ones they tested to see if that works.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertcoin2play View Post

I also have a linksys... a wrt54g (the one without speedboost). It's been working fine for at least 3 years now. You can get it for about $50 these days. Oh yeah, no problems connecting to Wii since launch.

I have the same one, Linksys WRT54G. Works perfect, never hangs or causes any issue.

Having your Wii connected full-time (Wii connect) will allow you to receive notices of software upgrades, new shopping channel content, Friend Requests, and new Mii contest notices, Mii's can also travel into the Mii Parade when you have your Wii #'s registered as contacts on each others consoles. A cool feature is the Wii's loading slot will illuminate when you receive notification.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Finally broke down and got a little compact sized Belkin router that was on sale at BB and had things up and running in 30 minutes...worked like a charm! Now I can connect up with the Wii and my Iphone...

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Finally broke down and got a little compact sized Belkin router that was on sale at BB and had things up and running in 30 minutes...worked like a charm! Now I can connect up with the Wii and my Iphone...

Thanks for the input.

Congratulations. You will find that the wireless connection will make the Wii even better as well as future uses you may not even know about yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

So if I read right, I need to buy a Wii Points card to pay to surf the net on the Wii?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 PM

To download the opera internet browsser on the wii you do need to purchase wii points. You can purchase them through the Shop Channel with a credit card or at any store that sells Wii items.

(When the browser first came out it was free, it changed to not free maybe a month or two after it was released)
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 PM

I came into the thread to recommend a Belkin router, but it looks like you beat me to it.

I have tried many routers: Linksys, Dlink, 3com. They are all roughly the same crappy quality with Linksys being the worst. They all have bugs in their user interface and other annoyances. I decided to give the little Belkin G router a try (I have 3 G devices in the house and only one N, so it didn't seem worth it, at least until N is finalized). It works flawlessly!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Guy View Post

(When the browser first came out it was free, it changed to not free maybe a month or two after it was released)

The browser was available as a free download for the first 6 months (4 of which while it was still a pre-release Beta). They began charging 500 points for it on July 1, 2007
Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm using the Netgear WGR614v6 router and it has problems with the Wii and the DS. The Wii will drop out all the time and the DS just flat out doesn't see my router. All my other devices connect fine, but the Nintendo stuff doesn't like my router...
Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 PM

bump on this thread.

looking to update the router as wanting 802.11n for the laptop and the old Trendnet 432 always has been a pig with the Wii.