Major League Baseball 2K8 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 288 Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I started seeming to have more success by releasing when the pitcher was releasing and then ignoring that stupid circle. But then eventually it went back to being stupid and one game I just gave up 22 more runs. I usually get annoyed and start throwing it without even paying attention which pitch I am picking once I am down by a lot of runs because it';s ridiculous.

Only people who love being tortured should buy this game. Even when the pitch goes where I want and I set the target out of the zone they magically homer on it and they magically freeze in the air after a jump and catch half of the homerun balls.

I still didn't try sliders, but this is ridiculous and it's ridiculous that sliders are even needed since, like I have said before, then you're getting results based off of tuning settings and you can't compare realistically to other people uising default settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 288 Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 View Post

Now I started seeming to have more success by releasing when the pitcher was releasing and then ignoring that stupid circle. But then eventually it went back to being stupid and one game I just gave up 22 more runs. I usually get annoyed and start throwing it without even paying attention which pitch I am picking once I am down by a lot of runs because it';s ridiculous.

Only people who love being tortured should buy this game. Even when the pitch goes where I want and I set the target out of the zone they magically homer on it and they magically freeze in the air after a jump and catch half of the homerun balls.

I still didn't try sliders, but this is ridiculous and it's ridiculous that sliders are even needed since, like I have said before, then you're getting results based off of tuning settings and you can't compare realistically to other people uising default settings.

The sliders are necessary to make the game realistic. Your average player simply doesn't want a realistic sports game. They want scorefests. So developers give them want they want, and thankfully give sim players the ability to fix those issues.
post #273 of 288 Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but what I mean is you can't judge whether you're doing as well as other players if you all are using different sliders. Unless a lot use the same sliders and share results to get an idea.

Well i definitely got my money's worth out of the game, albeit by being frustrated like crazy.

post #274 of 288 Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lmao. remember I said I didn't play on all-star mode because it was too easy, thus why I keep playing on legend? I just lost 32-3 on legend and so I decided I would play agame on all-star for the first time in months. I lost 14-0. hahaha. It was the first time I have ever been shut out and I have never shut out the CPU. So I did even crappier on all-star mode than I have been on legend mode as far as offense.

So obviously I must be doing something wrong since I used to easily winnon all-star. For one thing the ball seems to RANDOMLY be a good or bad pitch. If I consistently rrelease as soon as it gets in the green circle, it will sometimes go where I want and sometimes it will be way off. Same thing if I wait until far into the green circle. No matter what I do it won't consistently give the same result.

On offense I think I am just so pissed at my pitching that I lifelessly swing and don't care because I am annoyed. On my site I gave this a "try it first" rating, but I sure am going to edit it and point out I would recommend NOT buying it unless you find it mighty cheap. It's ridiculous how many homers they rob when the ball is way over the wall. Meanwhile it won't let me rob any.

I went to operation sports, as was suggested, and I saw no sliders anywhere.

post #275 of 288 Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:

lmao. remember I said I didn't play on all-star mode because it was too easy, thus why I keep playing on legend? I just lost 32-3 on legend and so I decided I would play agame on all-star for the first time in months. I lost 14-0. hahaha. It was the first time I have ever been shut out and I have never shut out the CPU. So I did even crappier on all-star mode than I have been on legend mode as far as offense.

So obviously I must be doing something wrong since I used to easily winnon all-star. For one thing the ball seems to RANDOMLY be a good or bad pitch. If I consistently rrelease as soon as it gets in the green circle, it will sometimes go where I want and sometimes it will be way off. Same thing if I wait until far into the green circle. No matter what I do it won't consistently give the same result.

On offense I think I am just so pissed at my pitching that I lifelessly swing and don't care because I am annoyed. On my site I gave this a "try it first" rating, but I sure am going to edit it and point out I would recommend NOT buying it unless you find it mighty cheap. It's ridiculous how many homers they rob when the ball is way over the wall. Meanwhile it won't let me rob any.

I went to operation sports, as was suggested, and I saw no sliders anywhere.

Here's a link to the thread at Operation Sports:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...mes-1-0-a.html
post #276 of 288 Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I will try them out. I wish there were more people commenting whether or not those work well for them though.

post #277 of 288 Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally had a good game. (all-star settings). But I still lost for the twelth straight game. lol I was winning 4-3 in the 8'th. Finally a great low scoring game. So then of course they homer to go up 5-4. Then on an 0-2 pitch with 2 outs in bottom of the ninth I homered to send it to extra innings. In extra innings I accidentally hit a batter and got ejected (second time that has happened where I seriously did it by accident) and then huston street immediately gave up a 2 run homer on the first pitch (same guy who lost me that other game by giving up homers on his first 2 pitches). So I lost 7-5.

What's MADDENING though is losing so many games where I actually did better than the CPU, but they made ridiculous catches and robbed wins. In this game alone they jumped over the wall to catch probably 3 or 4 homers and I of course robbed zero and then lost in extra innings. You do the math.

post #278 of 288 Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the record, this game definitely does not handle stats well. As if it eneded more flaws. lol

Once again I made an error so they had a runner on with 2 outs. It counted all subsequent runs that inning as earned EXCEPT that 1 runner. The correct scoring would be all runs unearned, as the inning was continued due to the error.

Then in another inning I scored a run on an error. HOWEVER the throw was to first regardless and I was scoring the run even if they got him out at first. So that one should have been an earned run and they called it unearned. lmao.

Then what a shocker how I lost. It was 5-5 in the ninth and DAVE ROBERTS was up and so I thought well surely I can throw HIM a high fastball and of course he homered on it. THEN the game ended with their THIRD homer robbing catch of the game. It's so hilarious that they catch ones that are nowhere near low enough to be caught.

I think whoever amde this game must be friends with the superman 64 creators and like torturing people.

I like how the games are going with all-star difficulty though. Eventually I am going to throw soime shutouts because they only had either 1 or 2 homers and most of their runs were fur to innings being prolonged due to errors or ridiculous situations such as roberts homering when he probably has 10 career homers or so., lol

What annoys me is I took a lot of time on each pitch to pick the proper pitch and then I still lose because of crappy things that shouldn't have happened.

post #279 of 288 Old 10-18-2008, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It sure can't be said that I haven't given this game a fair chance. I played FIVE games in a row today. I lost the first 14-0 for my 14'th straight defeat. Then I FINALLY won 3 games in a row. And in all three games COMBINED I gave up 10 runs whereas a lot of games lately I had given up more than that in one game.

The games were still very unfair as usual though. In the third of those three wins I already gave up 4 homeruns in the first 3 innings and so I started warming up pitchers and amazingly then my starter pitched the rest of the game without giving up another run. I got complete games in all three games giving up 3, 3, and 4 runs. I sure wasn't going to risk bringing in Street to blow more saves!

Then after those three wins I lost 19-12. And in that game I worked hard to "almost" get out of a jam in the first inning, only to give up a 2 out grand slam. Then I fought back to tie it 5-5 and the very next inning they got 12 runs in one inning!

By the way the scoring IS RIDICULOUS. Now guess what they did? They got 4 solo homers and yet in the final box score it said they got 1 unearned run. lmao. You can't have an unearned run if every run was on a solo homer! The only way would be if a foul ball was dropped and called an error. And that sure didn't happen. It's getting comical how many things are bad in this game yet I like the controls so much I keep playing. And it was FUN finally when I would mow down all of the hitters for a change. At one point I got through 2 innings with 7 pitches.

post #280 of 288 Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was going to play multiple games today, but after how this first game went, I am done with it for today. I finally was about to win a low scoring game. I got out of a lot of jams where they even had runners on third and less than 2 outs. They got one single run the first 8 and 2/3 innings and it was on a 2 out solo homer back in the first or second I think.

Well I made all the right moves. I intentionally walked a guy in the eighth then finally relieved my starter and struck out the batter to end the inning. In the ninth a batter hit it to the wall and my player wouldn't even pick the ball up and throw and then finally he released it in time to stop him with a triple.

Well so then with 1 out they grounded it to first and I saw they were holding the guy at third so I went to first and got the second out.

Then even though I would have LIKED to keep my closer in, I brought in Hamels to face their lefty, figuring that would be smartedt since I didn't like how Street was pitching. Well I got it to a full count with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth with me leading 2-1 and then on that pitch (a full count changeup after I threw him several fastballs) he hit it all the way to the wall. IT SHOWED THE CURSOR INSIDE THE STADIUM. This was the METRODOME. And yet even with it being inddors, the cursor magically moved back to change to the red one that shows it's going out of the park.

Not only did that BS happen where the cursor moved with no wind,k but it wouldn't let my outfielder jump so all these great decisions I made still ended up in a 3-2 loss! It's one thing if I made a mistake and they win. I don't want to automatically win every game obviously. But when I made a good decision to throw the changeup and then the cursor moves improperly to lose the game, that's really ridiculous.

One time they had the bases loaded with 1 out and they barely hit the ball and so I threw it home and I ended up making them strand them loaded on a deep flyout that was almost a homer. I made tons of great decisions and something as dumb as "wind" in a dome cost me the game. lol

At least one good thing I can say about the game is that obviousl y results are varied quite well. A pitcher doesn't suck every game or do great every game. I was using Kazmir this game. During his last start I lost 14-0. This game he gave up 1 run in 7 and 2/3 innings!

Oh and by the way one time the ball was hit right to my outfielder and it went off his glove and they called it a hit AND an error. It was right in his glove and bounced away and so obviously should have been only an error.

post #281 of 288 Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lol.

ok obviously everyone gets the point, but just reiterating the frustration of this game: I was just playing a game where I NEVER was trailing for the first 8 innings, then boom first pitch of ninth and I lose the game. Again. This is the third or fourth time where i gave up a game winning homer on the first PITCH.

post #282 of 288 Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just won 15-3 and 9-8. In the 9-8 game almost every single run they got was BS. So many BS plays happened that I won't bother listing them. In the first game I think I was tied 3-3 and had a 9 run inning. In the second game I was losing in the eighth inning and tons of plays where runners ran the wrong way and got thrown out, but a 3 run bomb got me back ahead and I held on.

Lates dumb issues:
1. They said "and the pitcher caught it. what a great defensive play". Meanwhile the ball was in center field and my runner on his way safely to first. lol
2. They said "and Reyes is trying to stretch it into a triple" and then the next hitter came up and it was... Reyes. The triple was by Weeks.

edit: as much as I talk about negatives to this game, it draws me to it sometimes. I never play tiger woods and have not even OPENED madden (or maybe I opened and didn't put it in the wii though, I forget) and yet I still occasionally come back to this game. I would say I ahve played more games in my season than I did on any baseball game since mvp 2005.

post #283 of 288 Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Basher,

Do you still check the boards on this game? Are other people still playing this game or are you one of the few in the U.S. still playing it?
post #284 of 288 Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lol I'm not sure. No I haven't been to them. I still have fun with it though. Just wish it was done in a better way.

By the way MLB 2K9 has already been announced and the cover has been shown. But no features have been listed, yet features for Madden 2010 have already been announced even though 2009 just came out!

post #285 of 288 Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:

lol I'm not sure. No I haven't been to them. I still have fun with it though. Just wish it was done in a better way.

By the way MLB 2K9 has already been announced and the cover has been shown. But no features have been listed, yet features for Madden 2010 have already been announced even though 2009 just came out!

My biggest complaint about MLB 2K8 is the lack of in-game saves in any mode other than Exhibition. I started a season, but I rarely have the time to play a whole 9-inning game in one sitting, so that addition for next year would be nice. Of course, the other issues, like the suspect 'check swing' detection and less-than-stellar fielding control need fixing as well, but really the underlying game isn't all bad. The pitching control using the Wii Remote is the most innovative thing about this game for me...
post #286 of 288 Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the main thing I want is for things to move "smoothely" (mvp 2005 did, but this game feels choppy rather than fluid movements), the check swing issue fixed (but that hasnt happened to me lately), play with only the wiimote, proper stats (it';s counting unearned runs as earned and other abd scoring calls too), and better default sliders.

post #287 of 288 Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://wii.ign.com/articles/933/933875p1.html

I never noticed that review. Wow. Sure doesn't give much hope that 2k will give a crap how mlb 2k9 turns out.

And this game has driven me nuts lately. THEY WILL BE FLOATING IN MID-AIR for several seconds waiting on the ball and the ball will be like 20 feet above them and they magically catch that! In real life those projectories would have the ball be wayyyyyyyy out of reach. Plus I can NEVER rob them of homers. Heck I can't even JUMP at all.

post #288 of 288 Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I was finally going to play a game without giving up a homer and with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth they homered to beat me 3-2. lol There only other runs were on afielder';s choice and double play in the same inning and would have only had 1 run had I not tried to throw one guy out at home.

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page