post #91 of 121 Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

1. yes it does fly. There is at the very least as much shovelware trash as there is on any console, and probably much more except the Wii (because of the ease of entry). The trick is, as with the consoles, is to ignore it. Games like "Jumper" don't sell on any platform.

Seconded......apparrantly this poster hasnt been shopping at a WalMart or Target lately because thats all there IS on the shelves. Crappy PC shovelware titles that nobody has ever heard of......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 07-27-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Walmart? Target? What's that?
post #93 of 121 Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've agree with most that has been said in regards to consoles and PC games.

And while the PC market isn't dying in a sense if its not careful, it could crash with poorly programed games and copy-cat software (how many times do you have to play a FPS before you've seen the same thing before???)

PS3 and 360- have CAUGHT the PC market in terms of PQ. And this PC monitor rubbish is just that. GT4 looks pretty dam good at 720p via component on my Gateway 24" PC monitor. Even SD Direct TV looks great on here when you have a channel that provides a good PQ (Discovery, ESPN, FSN, HBO). Yeah if you put your face up to the screen you can see "errors" but its far from Unwatchable and looks better in SD through S-video and the image filters built into to ATI's graphic chips when compared to the previous Magnavox 32" 720p LCD with just S-video Direct TV plugged into it.

PC Game hardliners, especially in the SIM market always complain about say Grand Turismo lack of "realism" in terms of a car's handling, etc. I have never wall ride'd. cut grass or resorted to any of the "tricks" you can use to win races or pass driving missions.

GT is a funny game because on one side you have SIM gamers say its too easy and not realistic and casual gamers complain about the cost of the "demo" (GT5:P) and how hard GT3,GT4 and GT5 are. Forza is generally regarded as a better "sim" than GT, but has YET to out sell it and GT5 will make another technological leap and I think its safe to say both games will agree to disagree about how to approach car driving but be successful on their native consoles.

GT5 will have many "tweaks" to turn off "assisted" driving. I drive with almost nothing turned on anyway, its fine, I can drive in real life, it has no effect how I drive in the game, go into a corner too hard with a FWD car and its UNDERSTEERS like it should. I play GT:L on the PC and old cars handle POORLY like they are suppose too given the suspensions and tire technology of the 60's and 70's, but not overtly hard to drive and drive quickly...

The problem now is programmer's are getting to aggressive with graphics in PC games trying to still separate themselves from the console market when its really not needed. Some people can't afford to buy a $400 console, but can afford a $100-200 video card, this is basically the same market now and they should program based on that premise. It shouldn't take the purchase of an SLI motherboard or Crossfire motherboard and two video cards to run Crysis Very High, Filters cranked and still only manage 40-50fps and people are happy...

That's utter nonsense and I don't see how people put up with it. Don't you have other things you rather be doing than endlessly upgrading your PC every 6-10 months???

That's my problem ATM, I refuse to buy GRID and run it watered down just so I can play it with a $50 video card. Who said it was okay to tell a game purchaser that you need to buy a new PC if you just happen to have an AGP slot still??

I don't have a AGP slot, its PCI-E x16. Any current card will work and work well I know that, my problem now is stable 60fps at 1920x1200 AAx4 (DX10.1 default), I don't want microstuttering or any stutter and it should be unacceptable in the PC enviroment. So I'm going to save a few dollars and take a flier on either a HD3870 or HD3850 and if I get ONE stutter during game play on Ultra, that is the LAST time the PC market can expect me to spend my hard earned dollars on another graphics card when I see a mature DX10 game I want hit the market and I need a $200 card and remove my dual core for a quad core just to play it at max detail.

My next purchase after this, I am currently using X1250 ATI IGP, so I need a real graphics card, I'm cool with that. But I will be getting a PS3... And if Sim Bin doesn't want to program for it, I'm cool with, GT5 be a monster of a game anyway. I still haven't finished GT4....

A. Thomas -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: djfourmoney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #94 of 121 Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

PC Elitist go hand and hand with people that buy Chevy because its easier to mod, I don't see how its easy, but its for sure SPOON fed because how many times can you build a SBC and get 500-600hp?? If you build one and don't you did something WRONG, its only been done 10,000 times and 100's of books and magazine stories have been written, some how you weren't paying attention, never mind a simple phone call to Edelbrock and your gold card will have you a complete system of parts all you need to do is provide the basic engine short block...

Yeah the PC market has grown based on its fan base supporting the game, making new maps, new cars, hacking other games for content. Geez people still play Grand Prix Legends and the last NASCAR sim released by defunct Papyrus!

Not to mention other games at least 10 years old....

That's great and that's missing from consoles and it will take a maturing of the online community for that to happen, not to mention programers to allow such a thing to happen. But with the fears of piracy, it will take awhile to convince some companies its okay to let the fans make content for the game its save you from HOURS of trying to come up with some new feature for your next installment of the game, if you even thought that far ahead as a company.

I could have lived with my 5 year old Dell 4550 as it was mostly used for the Internet, some mild video editing, DJ mixing and TV on the 17" monitor it came with. But with HDTV becoming an affordable reality, I couldn't watch more than 720p content without major spiking of the CPU because the graphics card was loafing as it came out before ATI's own HDTV Wonder TV card (I had an AIW 9600XT). The single game I did play, but never finished was Pro Race Driver and one of the first of the mature DX9 games, the 9600XT with 128mb of VRAM had no problem it it, running at high detail, filters on, though it did skip a tiny bit at times because it was playing from the DVD and now I understand why the no-CD hack is so popular and sites like Steam exist solely for down loadable games, requiring no CD/DVD to be used to play the game it plays much faster from the HDD.

I had stopped playing my original PS1 mainly because most of the games I had for it, I had finished/beaten. But I breathed some new life into my PS library when I found some PSX emulators, which allowed video and screen capture, something unavailable generally from the console on its own. By then PS1 games were dirt cheap, PS2 was the rage. I played all the games I had been meaning to play and found them fun even though graphics had matured in the PC and Console markets. But remember, it still took a fairly reasonable amount of time for even a PC to run PSX graphics smoothly, you needed at least a 9000 series ATI card or comparable 3DFx card or Nividia TNT2 (remember those?), I tried it on Intel IGP and with the plug-ins turned down to nothing at all, it would play okay but GT ran butter smooth at 60fps, detail turned on high and even a filter or two to smooth it out. GT1/2 by far look the best via an emulator than on the original machine...

I finally bought a PS2 when the Slim came out and GT4 was released. I have about 5 games for it and 2 borrowed games for it. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer, but when I do play I expect best graphics possible, is it coming from a console background as this is not an issue on consoles... I played racing games on my mother's x486 for CS and ran smoother when I put a Voodoo card in it (remember those?).

I am mainly a racer, other times I buy action games or sport games. I mostly like 3rd person view games, so naturally I like the Siphon Filter series, Metal Gear Solid, Driver and GTA starting with GTA 3. I also play football, when Gameday (and College Gameday) was dominate I bought that, when Madden caught them and finally passed them, I got Madden and NCAA College Football (been playing since Bill Walsh on the SNES). The last Baseball Game I played on anything was a PC game, Tony Larussa Baseball circa early 90's. I loved it, it better graphically than console games at that time.

So when I couldn't play OTA HD content smoothly that was my major motivation to upgrade my PC, not to play games. I had stayed away from PC games because while the depth and graphics might have been better than 16 bit (SNES) and 32 bit (PS1) consoles, I had to upgrade my PC and spend another $200+ for a card acceptable to run whatever I wanted to play. I would go into Fry's and walk past the latest PC racers and while I wanted to play them, not bad enough to buy the card and the game to run it. I had GT it was plenty fun and to this day no PC based racer has as many cars and yeah I know how many variations of a Nissan Skyline can you have.... I never have more than two if your curious, I always keep the Nismo 400R and Mine's Skyline...

I orginally attemped to upgrade my aging P4 2.4Ghz single core Dell, but that proved troublesome and went a few days without being able to watch tv because by that time, I had moved on from the Dell 17" monitor to a Gateway 24" monitor because I couldn't find a LCD TV to fit my desktop as all of them had speakers mounted on the bottom and the previous generation Sammy had speakers on the side and was still for sale but didn't fit... No working PC, no Media Center, therefore, no TV.

So I quickly looked at the suggested HTPC thread and targeted the "Low End" AMD build and bought all the parts based on that, while adding dual channel 3GB of memory and a hotter CPU than that build suggest a 5000+ Black Edition.

It plays OTA HD without issue and that's because of the brute CPU power I now have. But even now I feel I am falling a bit behind and while many programs aren't even using more than one core to speed up use and the only one I have on here is Studio 10 which does use dual and quad cores to speed up processing, I am considering a Phenom upgrade and thank goodness this is an AM2+ board, making that proposition fairly affordable.

But I liken playing PC games that require a certain amount of eye candy to a dog chasing its tail. Ulimately fruitless but mildly entertaining.... I will not bow to constantly upgrading my hardware and when I do make the jump to say 780 or 790 board and 140w Phenom Quad Core, that should be IT until say 2012 or beyond? Most people still have single core CPU's and that's plenty for the internet and average PC use. A $70 card will allow you to max out the graphics in WoW and if your that hardcore about that game you'll make the minor investment.

There isn't anything out here requiring using more than a 3Ghz single core CPU other than video editing, CAD use and gaming...We are considered enthusiasts, hardcore users of a PC and even if consoles reach a point where its everything to everybody in a family, I'll always have a PC of some sort at least in the near future.

I'll wrap this up by saying the PC game programers need to do some soul searching, you can't keep requring people to every 2-4 years to put in a new graphics card or replace a entire PC to play a game and if you beat it in 2-3 days, c'mon it took people longer to finish MGS on the console, so there goes your "depth" argument out the window; it will increasing look to casual gamers that don't requiring the dramatic visuals most of us demand in games because they are sports, simulation, point-n-click or action titles and they'll increasingly look to consoles to stay afloat and remain profitable.

Sorry for the story, thought you might want a profile on what a maybe typical gamer looks like...

A. Thomas -

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #95 of 121 Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't play much FPS online do ya...
post #96 of 121 Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Liked: 10
Same response.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...77&postcount=5

dj4monie
have you tried GTR2 on the PC...

If you are intrested in PC racing check out this site

http://www.nogripracing.com/index.php

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #97 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Isn't GT-L developed by the same company? That would be SimBin wouldn't it?

Same engine as GTR2, is not hard, I have a wheel. In fact, I find real race cars handle much easier, but more nervously. I have steady hands and steady on the gas...

Most PC sims are unneedlessly hard, which explains why the market is so TINY and nobody thought a game like GT based on the premise of racing sims would be so wildly popular...

FPS? yeah DOOM one and done, Just like Zelda, had enough of RPG's too.

FPS have wrecked the PC market and of course like most Americans its hard to point the finger back at yourself.

However that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing games, fps just ain't one of them, I don't even find them mildly interesting...

I personally think FPS are anti-social, I get enough being anti-social and fits of violence from the GTA series....

Gen X and proud of it...

A. Thomas -

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #98 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
PC gaming is definitely going towards the way of smaller, less technically complex games. Developers can't afford to put all the effort into making a game that takes advantage of new 3D cards and sell them to the tiny band of people who buy $300+ videocards. Yea, Crysis made a profit but that game made a splash just because it so far ahead of everything else it. By definition not every developer can make a game years ahead of the competition.

And it probably should be that way. If one looks at the PC gaming scene in the early 1990s, it was like that. But in the go-go late 1990s, after 3Dfx hit the scene, everything became more and more about rocking the hardware and making kickass graphics. And while there's nothing wrong with that (indeed, the PC game output during that period was beyond amazing), it was an unsustainable business.
post #99 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Speaking of Valve, for anyone who hasn't yet picked it up, The Orange Box (PC version) is on sale at Circuit City for $24.99 until the end of the week. I used my $10 Fallout 3 GC (which they charged me for upfront the bastards) to get it for $16.95 inc tax.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #100 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:

PC gaming is definitely going towards the way of smaller, less technically complex games. Developers can't afford to put all the effort into making a game that takes advantage of new 3D cards and sell them to the tiny band of people who buy $300+ videocards. Yea, Crysis made a profit but that game made a splash just because it so far ahead of everything else it. By definition not every developer can make a game years ahead of the competition.

And it probably should be that way. If one looks at the PC gaming scene in the early 1990s, it was like that. But in the go-go late 1990s, after 3Dfx hit the scene, everything became more and more about rocking the hardware and making kickass graphics. And while there's nothing wrong with that (indeed, the PC game output during that period was beyond amazing), it was an unsustainable business.

??????..... Crysis: Warhead, STALKER: Clear Sky, FARCRY 2, FALLOUT3....just to name the soon to be release tiltles this year.....

post #101 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Two of the games you mentioned are getting console versions. The other 2 use older engines and are piggybacking off the money and development time spent on the first game.
post #102 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Two of the games you mentioned are getting console versions. The other 2 use older engines and are piggybacking off the money and development time spent on the first game.

The two console versions where prob developed on a PC platform. I quess we will see what the diff's if any between a console version and a PC version. Like to compare the graphics and maybe game interfaces...that would be intresting.

And the two previous "OLDER" engine games...maybe Crysis: Warhead but Clear Sky is a total revamp engine. But if the engine works fine for current games at a high enuf standard (or exceeds anything else available) why would they need to create a new one. Look at the Unreal engine, so many new games using that engine for both console and PC and its an "OLDER" engine.

post #103 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

The two console versions where prob developed on a PC platform. I quess we will see what the diff's if any between a console version and a PC version. Like to compare the graphics and maybe game interfaces...that would be intresting.

Far Cry 2 was originally going to be a PC only game (look it up, they said stuff like "all work is going into this game on the PC as an exclusive title"). But then Ubisoft realized the PC by itself cannot support a gazillion dollar AAA game with 150+ people working on it.

Which is pretty much the norm nowadays. Somewhat paradoxically, those PC versions would not exist without the console games. The console versions sell more, both relatively and absolutely.

Quote:

And the two previous "OLDER" engine games...maybe Crysis: Warhead but Clear Sky is a total revamp engine. But if the engine works fine for current games at a high enuf standard (or exceeds anything else available) why would they need to create a new one. Look at the Unreal engine, so many new games using that engine for both console and PC and its an "OLDER" engine.

Warhead is a spinoff game with a lower budget using the same tech. STALKER was a game that limped around in development hell forever until THQ shipped off a bunch of engineers to Eastern Europe to crack the whip. The game was good and found success they are pumping out Clear Sky to recoup more of that money.
post #104 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Far Cry 2 was originally going to be a PC only game (look it up, they said stuff like "all work is going into this game on the PC as an exclusive title"). But then Ubisoft realized the PC by itself cannot support a gazillion dollar AAA game with 150+ people working on it.

Which is pretty much the norm nowadays. Somewhat paradoxically, those PC versions would not exist without the console games. The console versions sell more, both relatively and absolutely.

Warhead is a spinoff game with a lower budget using the same tech. STALKER was a game that limped around in development hell forever until THQ shipped off a bunch of engineers to Eastern Europe to crack the whip. The game was good and found success they are pumping out Clear Sky to recoup more of that money.

Educate me...whats ur pt about "older" engine as being a possible neg for games...trying to understand your logic. Does it matter that they are using an older engine if they can get what they want out of it. The engine, its a just a tool for the developers to build their game on...nothing more. It the engine infrastructure can provide the tools for the programmer to create the environment that the progammer wants then it doesnt matter what engine they use...new or old. Bottom line is, does the final product do what they want and the consumer is willing buy. Again look at all the new old engined Unlreal games...

New game engines dont come out every year...they have to recoup their design cost...so games will use the engine for a few years. The Crysis one just came out this year and the STALKER one last year.

Add:

some PC games coming
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?new...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=

post #105 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Educate me...whats ur pt about "older" engine as being a possible neg for games...trying to understand your logic. Does it matter that they are using an older engine if they can get what they want out of it. The engine, its a just a tool for the developers to build their game on...nothing more. It the engine infrastructure can provide the tools for the programmer to create the environment that the progammer wants then it doesnt matter what engine they use...new or old. Bottom line is, does the final product do what they want and the consumer is willing buy. Again look at all the new old engined Unlreal games...

Here's my point, the same point I made hundreds of times (not really): the era of big budget sparkling PC only games is over. Crysis is an exception and Warhead is just riding off that. In its own way, STALKER is too. There's nothing WRONG with using older engines, I was simply pointing out that those 2 games are PC exclusive right now BECAUSE of that. Crytek's next game, by their own admission, will be built for consoles too.

And really its not hard to see why this is. The guy in that hardocp link you pointed me to is calling his 8800GTX "aged" and is ready to replace. That card came out less than 2 years ago and was like 500 fricking dollars. Few people are willing to do that nowadays.
post #106 of 121 Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But they (Crytek) are still building for PC and then for console. The reason they are doing that is that Crytek blames their so call lackluster sales of Crysis on priracy (to some extent Infinity Ward on CoD4 also) EDIT: taken out IMO stuff on crysis game .. game developer shld realise that a coat of new paint dont sell games...game play sells games regardless of platform.

yes I agree that the rate of graphics and CPU requirements for Ultimate PC gaming is just going too fast and the cost of keeping up is getting very high...but then if you do not want to keep up...then dont, since most of these games will scale/play well at diff settings that can be covered by most of the current hardware. But... if you want to play at the bleeding edge then it will cost you...and a lot.

I still run XP and DX9... but I did replace my 8800GTX's with GTX280's tho...now waiting to see my 280's go old when DX11 comes out next year...argggg all those cuts....

BTW: I do see ur pt on the cost of PC gaming is one reason why many gamers have switched to consoles and the publishers will follow the money...kind of sad. Like going from developing a sports car to an econo box because of fuel cost.

post #107 of 121 Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Golden Arch Syndrome!
Over 1 Billion fooled.

Edit: Probably with so many more people getting into gaming thru consoles the possibility exists that new, brighter talent playing on custom maps then experimenting with making there own maps would develop into competent game development employees.
Then again most street racers don't turn into professional racers.
post #108 of 121 Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well a bunch of us over a few drinks last night were discussing general PC stuff, HTPCs stuff and gaming. We got on this topic...and after many beers most of us came to the conclusion that the one factor that would put a real hurt on PC gaming would be the console support for KB/M and that the console game dev would setup two control options allowing the player to chose KB/M or controller at the start of the game and the game would then use the optimized control layout. But take this with a grain of salt since this was coming from a bunch of guy's who were killing the few brain cells that we still have and are die hard KB/M PC gamers .

post #109 of 121 Old 08-31-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe that will come out on PS4 and PS3ers will have to upgrade.
post #110 of 121 Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

another intresting read

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/...ng-pc-gaming/1

post #111 of 121 Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You know I think, in the end, consoles are just easier...they plug into your TV and they play movies with the touch of a button and thats what most people are after. They dont want to have to work for their entertainment, and when you see the kinds of graphics you can get on a console today.....even if PC graphics are higher rez and higher framerates...you go "thats good enough for me!", pop a beer and crash in the couch and put on the headset and its all done for you.

And the key is that, since most of us these days spend our time hunched over a PC at work, there si more and more desire to NOT do that when we go home to get our fun for the day.......even with the high rez graphics and KBM controls.

PC's could have a chance if all the videocard makers put a standard Audio/Video HDMI port on their cards and MARKETED THEM as "the PC for your TV!". Make the games all default to a wireless joypad and have KBM optional. Make the fonts scale automatically depending on the size of your display so you can see text from a few feet away, etc.

But the PC world is so vast that nobody seems to want to get together and play in that sandbox that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft currently call home.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #112 of 121 Old 08-31-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad for that!
post #113 of 121 Old 08-31-2008, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

I don't have a AGP slot, its PCI-E x16. Any current card will work and work well I know that, my problem now is stable 60fps at 1920x1200 AAx4 (DX10.1 default), I don't want microstuttering or any stutter and it should be unacceptable in the PC enviroment. So I'm going to save a few dollars and take a flier on either a HD3870 or HD3850 and if I get ONE stutter during game play on Ultra, that is the LAST time the PC market can expect me to spend my hard earned dollars on another graphics card when I see a mature DX10 game I want hit the market and I need a $200 card and remove my dual core for a quad core just to play it at max detail.

My next purchase after this, I am currently using X1250 ATI IGP, so I need a real graphics card, I'm cool with that.

This is console gaming's one advantage, but it's a big one.

Your X360 or PS3 or Wii gamer, when he looks at whatever game on the shelf with the matching console logo, knows absolutely that the game will run well on the console. PCs of course have an uncountable number of possible motherboards, video cards, memory and memory speed, HDD type and size, not counting the vagaries that occur with overclocking.

In addition the enthusiast PC sites generate traffic by testing the most grueling (to the machine) titles and the games generate hype by being featured in the same PC sites, so the tendency is to write games that are only playable on very expensive setups.

In addition, the big PC vendors have chosen to focus on cheap components with the result that the IGPs in most machines are inadequate for any gaming ... and many people are unfortunately quite frightened of trying to upgrade parts.

The flipside is that in their short time in market the 360 and PS3 have already had their processing and graphics capability eclipsed by non-enthusiast PC hardware (e.g., a $60 AMD x2 5000+, $50 motherboard, $40 of memory and $95 Nvidia 9600GT runs Bioshock at a res and clarity that makes the 360 version look quite dated), and no console has the versatility of a general purpose computer.

Now IMO Crysis is failing (relatively) in sales compared to Valve games in a similar way EQ2 failed compared to WoW at release - the former in each case was hardly playable with then-current hardware and the latter was very accessible. As dj4monie points out nobody wants to bring home the popular game and spend more time fighting the hardware than they do the game.

Bottom line in my experience is that this is a cyclical thing: in the while after a new set of consoles come out they are quite popular and talk of the death of PC gaming circulates; then the consoles start to show a little age while PC hardware keeps getting cheaper and PC gaming miraculously revives.

Lastly, GPL is still the king of race sims
post #114 of 121 Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

You know I think, in the end, consoles are just easier...they plug into your TV and they play movies with the touch of a button and thats what most people are after. They dont want to have to work for their entertainment, and when you see the kinds of graphics you can get on a console today.....even if PC graphics are higher rez and higher framerates...you go "thats good enough for me!", pop a beer and crash in the couch and put on the headset and its all done for you.

Much the same as DVD vs Blu-ray right now. DVD is good enough for 99% of the population, evidently.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #115 of 121 Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

And the new trend of ''3 installations maximum'' with a PC game is not helping the PC at all IMHO.

Take me for exemple, I was thinking of buying Spore (coming out soon), but now that they said you will be limited to 3 installations of the game only, I won't buy it, since I need to reformat every 2-3 months, and I like to install my games on the 3 PCs we have at home, for the kids to play when they want to.

Pretty stupid move from PC companies IMHO... I understand the motives behind that decision, but since I never copy games, and always buy them, it's pretty annoying...

post #116 of 121 Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Isn't that 3 simultaneous installs and not 3 total. Thats was the case with Mass Effect I think.

post #117 of 121 Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Console games are easier to sell since they are just plug and play, PC games require alot of resources for them to function properly, somthing the console market has steered clear from because of these specific shortfalls, although, if the pc gaming market can come up with a standard for game developing with chip makers etc....they can create a Niche product to sell to PC gamers that will work flawlessy once installed. Take DirectX technology's...if they(ATI/ Nvidia) where to use a universal tool for game developers to work with...then they can take back the share of the gaming market. The pc gaming markets real flaws are too many firmware updates for their Graphics cards...they need to simplify things so everyone is on the same page, (which console game creaters have had the advantage of since day 1).
post #118 of 121 Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't that 3 simultaneous installs and not 3 total. Thats was the case with Mass Effect I think.

No, it's maximum, even with Mass Effect. After you've used your 3 installations, you have to contact EA to get them reset. You don't get back activations by uninstalling. In fact you have to reactivate if you completely uninstall the game and then re-install it on the same computer.
post #119 of 121 Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

No, it's maximum, even with Mass Effect. After you've used your 3 installations, you have to contact EA to get them reset. You don't get back activations by uninstalling. In fact you have to reactivate if you completely uninstall the game and then re-install it on the same computer.

Not sure but I think I done at least 4 install of Mass Effect. Twice from new boot drive restores and twice by uninstalling and re-installing since the game tends to go corrupt after you reach max level and you continue playing ( a lot) ...got a lot of crashes with every character I get above max level. I thght that you recover when you uninstall.

post #120 of 121 Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure but I think I done at least 4 install of Mass Effect. Twice from new boot drive restores and twice by uninstalling and re-installing since the game tends to go corrupt after you reach max level and you continue playing ( a lot) ...got a lot of crashes with every character I get above max level. I thght that you recover when you uninstall.

It's possible they changed it, but EA support answered emails when the game first came out saying you wouldn't get any activations back when you uninstall. It's possible the re-installs you did didn't count toward your limit, because there were conflicting answers from EA support on that aspect (initially it was stated that a reinstall on the same PC would require a re-activation, but a later email said that this wouldn't require a re-activation).
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page