How to get video output to HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I don't plan on gaming from my rig to my HDTV... I thought this would be the right place to ask since most users here are more PC experts.

My rig runs WinXP with a Nvidia 7800GT. At the moment, I'm hooked directly up via s-video, from vid card/dongle and directly to the HDTV (Panasonic TH-46PZ85U).

After messing around with Nvidia's NView setup, I was able to get a picture on screen by using a refresh rate of 75hz, while using the cloning feature. At various resolutions, the screen on the HDTV just doesn't seem right. For instance, at the res of 1920x1080, I have to move the mouse to the right so that it shifted over to see... to the right. But now, I cutting off the left.

I can't seem to get the right setting so that the screen fits without cutting off left/right and/or up/down.

How do I accomplish this? Is it the right refresh rate/res for the HDTV? Is it due to s-video? FYI, I have a DVI to HDMI cable coming next week.

Any help would be great... or point me to some links to get a better understanding on setups of this nature.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd recommend first getting out your TV manual, and making sure your output specs from the PC don't exceed the TV's.

You say you're using S-video? I don't think S-Video can carry a 1080 signal. Are you sure it's not actually a component signal via the s-video dongle? (In other words, the funny cable that starts out as s-video but converts to red/green/blue wires).

You'll need component, VGA, or HDMI cables to see HTDV output. You'll also need to have your NVidia software setup correctly for your TV, which should be possible with your 7800 and the latest NVidia drivers.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ View Post

For instance, at the res of 1920x1080, I have to move the mouse to the right so that it shifted over to see... to the right. But now, I cutting off the left.

That is virtual desktop, a method of running resolutions higher than what your setup supports. If you are using s-video, the acutal output is 480i, though I think the drivers will allow you to run up to 1024x768 downscalled to 480i. Also, you'll get judder at refresh rates that don't match up to 60hz, as that is what your display refreshes at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

You say you're using S-video? I don't think S-Video can carry a 1080 signal. Are you sure it's not actually a component signal via the s-video dongle? (In other words, the funny cable that starts out as s-video but converts to red/green/blue wires).

That isn't really an s-video plug, but rather a DIN plug like the one used for s-video but with more pins to support component and such.

Oh, and there is a general HTPC forum section for non-gaming related questions.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page