No BS - PS3 or PC gaming Rig - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a PS3, I also have an HTPC (built more movies/music only). I enjoy building computers and picking out all the components that will go into my pc. I'm seriously considering going all out and building one heck of a gaming rig. Problem is I can't decide if hte graphics on PCs are really that much better than the PS3. As far as PS3 goes I'm talking about Metal Gear Solid 4, Call of Duty 4, Bad Company, etc.

Can anyone out there truly vouch for the fact that PC graphics are better than the PS3...not talking about sports games here.

I;d use a 1080P LCD. Or a 1920X1200 monitor.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbadalucco View Post

So I have a PS3, I also have an HTPC (built more movies/music only). I enjoy building computers and picking out all the components that will go into my pc. I'm seriously considering going all out and building one heck of a gaming rig. Problem is I can't decide if hte graphics on PCs are really that much better than the PS3. As far as PS3 goes I'm talking about Metal Gear Solid 4, Call of Duty 4, Bad Company, etc.

Can anyone out there truly vouch for the fact that PC graphics are better than the PS3...not talking about sports games here.

Thanks

Yes.. & PCs are upgradeable.. The PS3 isn't as powerful any many think Resistance fall of man was on 30FPS with a native resolution of 720p.. & anti aliasing is almost non exsistent on both consoles, while on the PC you can choose between X2-X16.. It all depends on your hardware.. I prefer the PS3 over my friends high end PC due to the fact that I absolutely hate using the keyboard.. & not all games support a game pad, or a adapter to use a console controller.. But graphic wise, no contest.. Same games on the PC & 360/PS3 were very noticeable.. Minus GRAW.. Which looked better on the console version..But was the only one..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 76 Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Sure the PC graphics can surpass the PS3 but at what cost? The graphics card alone could cost you more than the PS3. Have your cake and eat it too. Settle for a dual core proc, a couple 8800gt's SLi'd,and 2-4gig and you'll be able to run most games at a decent resolution for a somewhat reasonable price and keep the PS3 too.
post #4 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

The problem isn't the hardware, its the games. How many games are coming out for the consoles that are also coming out on the PC, thats the question you should be asking. Then you need to ask, even if a game is ported to the PC, what kind of hardware am I going to need to run it at 1080p natively?

Quote:

PC graphics are usually cleaner (due to running at much higher resolutions than 720p which is about where most console games top out), they also usually run at higher framerates, give you more control options than a console will, and of course allow you to customize AA and AF depending on your hardware.

Visually, in terms of visual effects and such....Consoles and PC's are equal, they are all running the same type of stuff....Normal Mapping, advanced shaders, Light Bloom and HDR, etc.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #5 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 AM

I have both a Quality Gaming PC w/ a 1920X1200 Monitor and a PS3 with a 1080P LCD.

They both get a lot of use but certain systems get certain games first.

I no longer pick the platform based on graphics but rather on the control method...

I'll never buy a sports game on the PC.... Likewise if I can get a PC version of any First Person Shooter I'll get it for the PC. Driving Games are a toss up because I'm a Gran Turismo fan.

Some things can only be played on console or take a LONG time to get a PC port.

Graphically I feel like the PC looks better in Certain games and just equal in others. It's usually not enough to deprive myself of a game for the eventual and often buggy Console to PC port.

So to help me decide I look at a few things:

Control Method of the system match the game type?

What systems were the launch systems for this game? Is this a port?

And then finally does the game require fine precision on a smaller screen and a finer control method (PC) or would it be more fun to have it on a larger screen physically and controls are not required to be as precise(PS3)?
post #6 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Yes.. & PCs are upgradeable.. The PS3 isn't as powerful any many think Resistance fall of man was on 30FPS with a native resolution of 720p.. & anti aliasing is almost non exsistent on both consoles, while on the PC you can choose between X2-X16.. It all depends on your hardware.. I prefer the PS3 over my friends high end PC due to the fact that I absolutely hate using the keyboard.. & not all games support a game pad, or a adapter to use a console controller.. But graphic wise, no contest.. Same games on the PC & 360/PS3 were very noticeable.. Minus GRAW.. Which looked better on the console version..But was the only one..

Yes but R&C Future ran at 60fps!

With consoles developers just hammer on them for years and you end up with games that weren't even thought to be possible when they came out. FOR EXAMPLE, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 both got very good ports on the Xbox 1... who would've thought that? The Xbox was built on a 700mhz CPU with 64 megs of RAM.

PC developers have always operated on this assumption that, if your computer doesn't run a game well, go upgrade it. They are (usually) not very well optimized. That said if you have the money and want the best graphics possible the PC is the *only* way to go and that only gets more noticeable over the years.
post #7 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM

PS3 Hands Down

I love my PC and won't leave it. But I just bought Grid recently and the flippin thing won't even start! WAAAAAAY too much hassle playing on the PC. Bitchy little PC GRRRRRRRRRRR.
post #8 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're going to play on an HDTV, then there really won't be a huge difference in graphical quality between console and PC. And most of the really great forthcoming games will be out for console, not necessarily excluded from PC, but far fewer PC exclusives. Then again, you can go back and replay some older classic PC exclusives in widescreen HD.
post #9 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes.. & PCs are upgradeable.. The PS3 isn't as powerful any many think Resistance fall of man was on 30FPS with a native resolution of 720p..

It's been said that since RFOM was a console release game, it didn't have nearly the polish that year old games have.

Quote:

anti aliasing is almost non exsistent on both consoles, while on the PC you can choose between X2-X16..

As you have a 1080p display, and that equals 1920x1080, and "it's thought that" AA is no longer needed at high resolutions, doesn't this become a non-issue?

If you like playing FPS or RTS games with a mouse, include the PC route in your gaming endeavors, that's really all I use my PC gaming for. The PS3 excels when multiple people are playing, and the variety of game types.
post #10 of 76 Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a high-end PC that can run Crysis at max resolution with decent fps. But
the price-to-power ratio is incomparable. PlayStation 3 wins. But you also have
to consider the games. PlayStation 3 gets more games than PC. The only good
thing about PC is higher graphical level than consoles. Also with high-end PC,
not also you have to pay for ridiculous horsepower, you also need to fuel that
horsepower by buying a lot of wattage which will run your electric bill. PlayStation 3
outweighs everything the PC has.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #11 of 76 Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM

I'll have to say the inverse. I really enjoy pc gaming and my PS3 is never used. The games library just isn't what I like....at all. I play my xbox 360 all the time. You could build a modest pc rig with a 9800GTX+ and be really happy.

My ps3 is a dvd player, and even then I watch most DVD's in my room....on my computer....on my 24" monitor.
post #12 of 76 Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
If you have patience and thought of tweaking games doesnt bother you go wit the PC. If your free time is limited and u just wanna game rite away go for PS3. Personally I am swayin to my PS3 more for gaming now, less hassles and right now better game selection. Also the fact i work in IT and slave at a computer 8+ hrs a day already..comin home to do another 3 isnt really thrilling..lol But there are alot of games comin out for PC that I really wanna play Crysis Warhammer...Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead come to mind.. May have to change my view. If you can do it have both, thats what Ive done and im a happy man for it.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #13 of 76 Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

Also the fact i work in IT and slave at a computer 8+ hrs a day already..comin home to do another 3 isnt really thrilling..lol

Exactly.

A few weeks ago I spent like half a day getting my XBOX 360 wireless controller to work perfectly in GTA: San Andreas for the PC. I mean seriously, WASTE OF TIME!

However I do love playing San Andreas in better resolution that it came on the PS2
post #14 of 76 Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohagen View Post

Exactly.

A few weeks ago I spent like half a day getting my XBOX 360 wireless controller to work perfectly in GTA: San Andreas for the PC. I mean seriously, WASTE OF TIME!

However I do love playing San Andreas in better resolution that it came on the PS2

Yep there are just some games you have to play on PC. Far Cry 2 will be one of dem.. dont think i could justify using a gamepad for that one and the graphics I know will be alot better on a good PC.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #15 of 76 Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohagen View Post

Exactly.

Were you able to get the analog triggers set up for gas and brake? I was frustrated that I couldn't remap the second analog stick on my Logitech controller.
post #16 of 76 Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

Sure the PC graphics can surpass the PS3 but at what cost? The graphics card alone could cost you more than the PS3. Have your cake and eat it too. Settle for a dual core proc, a couple 8800gt's SLi'd,and 2-4gig and you'll be able to run most games at a decent resolution for a somewhat reasonable price and keep the PS3 too.

You can get an 8800GT for <$150 which kick consoles buttocks cleanly.
post #17 of 76 Old 08-30-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a high-end gaming PC (4870X2, 8Gb of RAM, etc), a PS3, a X-Box 360, and a Wii and 2 young kids... We are playing the consoles on a Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD Kuro 9G in the ''kids room'', and the PC games on a 24'' screen.

Myself, I almost only do serious gaming on my PC, since I like to multi-task while playing. The kids play almost exclusively with the Wii. They LOVE the Wii When I feel like playing a console game, I also play with the Wii with them (Carnival, Sprots, Play, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, etc).

The PS3 is only for Blu-ray watching, and the X-Box 360 is gathering dust since I got the Wii. It's only personal preference, since I was playing alot with the X-Box 360 before getting the Wii, but since I got it, I'm always back to it, particularly with the kids and family. And my wife can't stand the PC or any console games except the Wii.

I don't know, but watching her playing for hours with the kids at Carnival and Sports is really something. My wife is probably the most ''non-gamer'' person I know, and she hates the other consoles with a vengeance... but the Wii is really something else for her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 76 Old 08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post

You can get an 8800GT for <$150 which kick consoles buttocks cleanly.

This is why you can't have threads like this: Explain, exactly, how PC graphics kick consoles graphics ass again, since they are running almost the exact same hardware capable of the exact same effects.....

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #19 of 76 Old 08-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

This is why you can't have threads like this: Explain, exactly, how PC graphics kick consoles graphics ass again, since they are running almost the exact same hardware capable of the exact same effects.....

i dont know about you but i can CLEARLY see a difference in PC graphics as opposed to console graphics...AA is rarely if ever used on console games and the resolutions in most cases arent as high as any decent PC can churn out with good frame rates to accompany it...LOL...you mean to tell me you think crysis on very high settings can be achieved on a console? haha

and since the guy who started the thread wants to build "one heck of a gaming rig" id say he doesnt mind spending a good chunk of change on one...hell even my old rig, 8800 GTX, Q6600, asus maximus formula, a 4gig ddr2 made COD4 look like a totally different game on PC as opposed to consoles...AA is everything! being able to turn on AA just makes it look so much cleaner
post #20 of 76 Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

i dont know about you but i can CLEARLY see a difference in PC graphics as opposed to console graphics...AA is rarely if ever used on console games and the resolutions in most cases arent as high as any decent PC can churn out with good frame rates to accompany it...LOL...you mean to tell me you think crysis on very high settings can be achieved on a console? haha

Crysis on Very High settings can't even be achieved on a high end PC at this time, and even then.....it wont break 60fps sustained. Now....tell me another game besides Crysis. You can't, because Crysis stands alone.

Meh, I'm tired of the arguement that Higher REsolution = Better Graphics. It doesn't, it never has and it never will. The chase for "higher rez" is what spun PC gaming almost into the ground. Instead of getting more and more visual effects, manufacturers just kept chasing resolution.

These are minor visual tweaks that people LOVE to play up like the differences are so dramatic that its night and day....when most of the time its "yeah, that looks a little cleaner". Better graphics? Hardly.

AA cleans up the images a bit.....and thats basically where the differences end.

Quote:

one...hell even my old rig, 8800 GTX, Q6600, asus maximus formula, a 4gig ddr2 made COD4 look like a totally different game on PC as opposed to consoles...AA is everything! being able to turn on AA just makes it look so much cleaner

Way to be a drama queen bro....I've played through the console and PC versions....their looks are nearly identical, regardless of resolutions. 720p with 2xaa on the consoles looks plenty good, just like 1080p with 8xaa on a PC looks clean, but hardly "better" than the console version....

post #21 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
[quote=HeadRusch;14560520
Way to be a drama queen bro....I've played through the console and PC versions....their looks are nearly identical, regardless of resolutions. 720p with 2xaa on the consoles looks plenty good, just like 1080p with 8xaa on a PC looks clean, but hardly "better" than the console version....[/QUOTE]

Common Head.... I played CoD4 on a 60" 1920x1080 TV and 37" 1280x720/768 TV (360) and at 1920x1200 on 24" and 28" monitors and 2560x1600 with a 30" monitor on the PC. The best graphics are with the PC versions.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #22 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Textures look about the same, visual effects about the same, shadows the same, models the same, lighting the same and a 60fps framerate on the console......

Tell me again why the console version looks so inferior to the PC version?

Seriously, you want to talk about Crysis in uber high detail mode with the god-rays and the lush shadows and so forth, I am there...but COD4? I gotta call foul.......they're damn near identical.

If the lighting or shadowing were different, if the textures or models or level architecture were so much better...then you'd have me...but AA and "higher than 720p resolutions" as the big selling points?

Hardly worth arguing.

Ignore the fact that the dude had to take a physical snapshot of his PS3 screen on this one..the differences are almost not even worth talking about.

post #23 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
What the PC version has the console dont is the sharpness. I run CoD4 with no aa at 2560 and the edges is perfectly sharp. The Console (or PC at TV rez) versions on both the TV's always look not as sharp. Also the so call constant 60FPS on the consoles is questionable since a few times I got micro stuttering with the 360. On the PC I get many more FPS then the 360 but it doent really matter since anything over 60FPS is wasted anyway. The lighting is diff with the 360 vers the PC...but this would prob be more the case of the displays TV vs monitor. But if you dont see the diff then thats fine too. But I done both and for me the PC version is sharper and it doesnt take any hits from the smoke settings. I even ran the PC vers on the TVs and again the sharpness is diff then the PC's monitor's higer rez. You can not beat the the hi rez of the PC monitor vs any TV at 720 or 1080 regardless if its PC or console game. So this more of a display issue...but the PC can support a monitor at higer rez then a console can on a TV. But with the PC ver I do not get any stuttering when the smoke is really thick.

post #24 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I dont care about the sharpness as much....in fact I find that some games look worse as the resolutions increase.

Things that look rounded on a display at 720p from several feet away suddenly are polygonal looking and "computer game" ish at 1080p from 2 feet away.

Anyways........

post #25 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Textures look about the same, visual effects about the same, shadows the same, models the same, lighting the same and a 60fps framerate on the console......

Tell me again why the console version looks so inferior to the PC version?

Seriously, you want to talk about Crysis in uber high detail mode with the god-rays and the lush shadows and so forth, I am there...but COD4? I gotta call foul.......they're damn near identical.

If the lighting or shadowing were different, if the textures or models or level architecture were so much better...then you'd have me...but AA and "higher than 720p resolutions" as the big selling points?

Hardly worth arguing.

Ignore the fact that the dude had to take a physical snapshot of his PS3 screen on this one..the differences are almost not even worth talking about.

LOL HeadRusch...congrats on posting pics that were obviously taken with a 1.0 mega pixel camera...ANY game that is on PC and a console will ALWAYS look better on PC...i dont know how you sit there at your computer (which you do alot of judging by how many posts you have) and argue this fact...hell even in your "comparison photos" the PC version looks WAY better IMO...LOL...im done
post #26 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

That is why I run 2560x1600 most of the time...try sitting about ~2ft from a 30" display. You can really see the diff in sharpness. I ran games at 1080 and 720 on the 30" monitor just for tests and they dont look pretty...

Sorry my bad...I didnt have CoD4 for the PS3...just the PC and 360 versions. My PS3 is use as a BluRay player (have only one game...GT5 Prologue...pretty).

post #27 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Way to be a drama queen bro....I've played through the console and PC versions....their looks are nearly identical, regardless of resolutions. 720p with 2xaa on the consoles looks plenty good, just like 1080p with 8xaa on a PC looks clean, but hardly "better" than the console version....

LOL...sooooo hypocritical...haha...way to be a troll bro
post #28 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing I tell instantly between a PC and Console is lack of AA on a console. We were pretty much promised that all games were going to have 4xAA on a console, they are only running 720P graphics. What happened? AA was supposed to be a "Free" resource generations ago on video cards. If you don't have the raw rez, then you need AA. I'm looking at Madden on the 360, the graphics were nicer 4 years ago on my pc version, because they are clear and clean.

Can you get beyond that and play the game, of course. But it does disappoint me that these beastly systems struggle with the settings they use. In the end all consoles seem to never really live up to their raw performance hype or even that close to it.
post #29 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

That is why I run 2560x1600 most of the time...try sitting about ~2ft from a 30" display. You can really see the diff in sharpness. I ran games at 1080 and 720 on the 30" monitor just for tests and they dont look pretty...

Are you talking about scaling tho? I can't play anything on my 1080p besides 1080p, the scaling just shows up as too fugly on flatpanel displays......a CRT set, different story, but its native rez or nothing on a flatpanel no matter what the resolution.

I don't care about sharpness anymore, I don't really care about pixel-crawling anymore....I'm developing this weird Kum-Buy-yah gaming karma thing

post #30 of 76 Old 08-31-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you talking about scaling tho? I can't play anything on my 1080p besides 1080p, the scaling just shows up as too fugly on flatpanel displays......a CRT set, different story, but its native rez or nothing on a flatpanel no matter what the resolution.

I don't care about sharpness anymore, I don't really care about pixel-crawling anymore....I'm developing this weird Kum-Buy-yah gaming karma thing

yes scaling. But I also set up Mass effect on a friend PC who's native rez is 720 with a 26" LCD TV and with max'd eye candy settings...it still didnt look pretty.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page