Recommendations for 50inch+ LCD TVs for use with Gaming Rig - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current TV is a Sony GWIII rear projection LCD that I got 5 years ago, and sooner or later I'm going to retire it in favor of a flat screen LCD.

One thing I've always wanted to do is build a PC to hook up to my TV, primarily so I can surf the web and, more importantly, play video games on the couch without having to settle for my XBOX360.

This did not prove to be practical with my current TV. Hooking a PC up to is is a nightmare of custom resolutions, etc. that just wasn't worth the trouble.

Can anyone tell me some reasonably priced LCD TV models where hooking up a PC is totally seamless (same as connecting a monitor) without any issues of overscan or distortion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM

I've done two so far, both samsungs, LN4095D and the LNT4681F, the 40" using an EVGA 7950GT KO card, and the 46" with an EVGA 9800GTX.

Just hook up the monitor run the Nvidia control wizard and you're done.

Edit: LNS4095D
post #3 of 14 Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM

If you're looking for a 50 inch plasma, I highly recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50A5.../dp/B0015AD2JK

or if you want to go absolutely CRAZY, check this out!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL67A7.../dp/B001413DWQ
post #4 of 14 Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandiego View Post

I've done two so far, both samsungs, LN4095D and the LNT4681F, the 40" using an EVGA 7950GT KO card, and the 46" with an EVGA 9800GTX.

Just hook up the monitor run the Nvidia control wizard and you're done.

Edit: LNS4095D

Do you connect through HDMI?

Does the control wizard prevent overscan even in set resolutions (e.g. in full screen mode in games, where you can't enter custom resolutions).
post #5 of 14 Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikilii View Post

My current TV is a Sony GWIII rear projection LCD that I got 5 years ago, and sooner or later I'm going to retire it in favor of a flat screen LCD.

One thing I've always wanted to do is build a PC to hook up to my TV, primarily so I can surf the web and, more importantly, play video games on the couch without having to settle for my XBOX360.

This did not prove to be practical with my current TV. Hooking a PC up to is is a nightmare of custom resolutions, etc. that just wasn't worth the trouble.

Can anyone tell me some reasonably priced LCD TV models where hooking up a PC is totally seamless (same as connecting a monitor) without any issues of overscan or distortion?

This is my question too. I heard that plasma doesn't react as quickly as LCD (something to do with gas bubbles). I'm probably going to go with Samsung...heard nothing but good things. Sony is good too, but about 20% more money.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
post #6 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Do you connect through HDMI?

Does the control wizard prevent overscan even in set resolutions (e.g. in full screen mode in games, where you can't enter custom resolutions).

Yes I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable. Running that to the receiver. If I'm understanding you right on your second question, the image set to full screen or full screen windowed (which I prefer to mouse to the second monitor) has no trim or blacked out edges. The image is stretched properly.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...vi%20to%20hdmi

The above is the cable I used, and with the SPDIF hooked up you can get audio out through HDMI on the 9800GTX series.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 AM

I use the 50 inch Samsung Plasma with 3D. Nothing lkike watching any movie out there, and playing most games in 3D. I have it hooked from DVI to HDMI. Picture perfect. Only downside is burn in... tho it does fade after a few minutes.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable. Running that to the receiver. If I'm understanding you right on your second question, the image set to full screen or full screen windowed (which I prefer to mouse to the second monitor) has no trim or blacked out edges. The image is stretched properly.

When I referred to overscan, I was talking about the fact that about an inch or two of the desktop image is off the edge of the screen. I was aware that Nvidia and others had drivers to basically shrink the image from the standard resolution to a smaller resolution so it fits on the screen, which in essence would leave a blank border around the viewable part.

I just never heard of whether this works in set resolutions in full screen games.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:

When I referred to overscan, I was talking about the fact that about an inch or two of the desktop image is off the edge of the screen. I was aware that Nvidia and others had drivers to basically shrink the image from the standard resolution to a smaller resolution so it fits on the screen, which in essence would leave a blank border around the viewable part.

I just never heard of whether this works in set resolutions in full screen games.

I've only played WoW, AOC, and Warhammer beta on the TV but there is no blank border. Granted I may not be seeing it but the game seems to format itself to which ever monitor I set as primary. When I use the desktop everything goes to a 1920x1200 when I use the Samsungs' they go to a 1900x1080. The games are full screen without any black rings.

I have WoW and AOC uninstalled right now as I formatted for WAR, when I get my go code tomorrow I'll just snap a picture of the tv with the game on it if you'd like.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQRoxxx View Post

Only downside is burn in... tho it does fade after a few minutes.

That's image Retention not burn in. Burn in is permanent, IR goes away after a few minutes/hours/days. could be any of them.

Also all newer plasma tv's come with some sort of burn in prevention, it's a thing of the past.

quote "I heard that plasma doesn't react as quickly as LCD (something to do with gas bubbles)"

not the case at all, if anything lcd has a slower response time.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #12 of 14 Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've only played WoW, AOC, and Warhammer beta on the TV but there is no blank border. Granted I may not be seeing it but the game seems to format itself to which ever monitor I set as primary. When I use the desktop everything goes to a 1920x1200 when I use the Samsungs' they go to a 1900x1080. The games are full screen without any black rings.

I have WoW and AOC uninstalled right now as I formatted for WAR, when I get my go code tomorrow I'll just snap a picture of the tv with the game on it if you'd like.

That would be great.

Again, the problem I had was not a blank ring around the desktop, but the opposite: Parts of the desktop were cut off around the edges. Do you have any of this in desktop or in games? I actually don't expect it, because Samsungs specifically advertise PC compatibility as a selling point, whereas my Sony specifically is known for being a pain in the ass on that front.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Okay first off, taking pictures of a tv is a bad idea (: I snapped about 15 but none looked decent.

But, good news. I was prepping my pc for my new CPU that arrives today and loaded up the new Nvidia drivers which came out a couple days ago. There is now an option on the control panel, under Video & Television, to resize your desktop. Which does exactly what you wanted I set my TV to some stupid resolution 2500 and change (you can force reso's now too) and was able to shrink up the desktop so you could see the windows bar and icons perfectly. The games look really nice on it as well.

Just another selling point too, the GTX+ models have HDMI pass through audio, I'm trying to get EVGA to let me buy a 2 pin to 4 pin SPDIF cable they have for it. I bought mine a while back and didn't come with the standard GTX's back then.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Something else to add, the DVI to HDMI line lets you run your PC on 1080p instead of 1080i as well.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page